FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[MOD][N5] Surround Sound

259 posts
Thanks Meter: 364

By androidous, Senior Member on 7th December 2014, 12:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
A mod originally made for the Note edge by @ sshafranko and now ported to the nexus 5 head on over to the original thread here , and Im merely helping him out here at the N5 forums
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...sound-t2955648

This mod will activate you front earpiece speaker in conjunction with the rear main speaker any time Speaker mode is used for example playing music, watching movies, shows, you tube and so on, creating an almost surround sound type of effect.

Please keep in mind that this mod is for the T Mobile Note Edge variant. This modifies the mixer_path.xml file in you system/etc folder. This .xml file varies device to device and even carrier to carrier. I have not tested this on International or any other carrier Note Edge, and i used the T Mobile .xml file as my base. Therefore i don't know if it will work on any other carrier although i will say that there is a better chance of it working on another U.S. carrier than there is on International. If you decide to try it please have your rom backed up in case of a boot loop, and before you flash the zip or extract and push the .xml file to your system, rename your original mixer_paths.xml to mixer_paths.xml.bak so that you have your original easily accessible. There is a slight chance that if you pm me your mixer file i can mod it for your variant, and maybe add it to the thread assuming it doesn't work for you and i have some spare time.

PREREQUISITES

A Rooted Galaxy Note Edge Nexus 5
Custom Recovery Installed. I tested on TWRP 2.8.1.1
A set of human or alien ears (animal may also work but have not been tested by me)

DISCLAIMER
I am not responsible in any way, shape, or form, directly or indirectly for anything good or bad that happens to your device do to your modifications using my surround sound zips. Please do not inject, ingest or insert these zips anywhere on or in your body, they are meant to be flashed in a custom recovery on your Note Edge Beast. HAMMERHEAD BEAST

INSTALLATION
STEP 1: Download the sound mod zip

STEP 2: Boot to recovery by using modded shut down menu, Power Toggles type Widget, or simply turn your phone off. Once completely off hold Home, Volume up and Power buttons simultaneously which will then boot your recovery.

STEP 3: Navigate to the Sound Mod Zip of your choice and flash it. I don't believe it is necessary to wipe caches with this type of mod, but i would suggest it. Any time i am in recovery i take the opportunity to wipe caches and fix permissions, almost as a maintenance type of habit.
If you used CF root to root your phone you may be having some issues mounting the cache partition. There are 2 ways to fix this, both worked for me, the first of which may or may not work for you and is very simple to try and the second more involved.
1) Wipe Dalvik Cache ONLY. Now wipe Cache ONLY. Now wipe both Dalvik Cache and Cache. If this worked for you, you will now be able to wipe caches without mounting errors.
2) Begin from scratch and re-root your phone except this time DO NOT use Chainfire's CF Root. Odin TWRP recovery, make sure you have a zip of SuperSU 2.16 i believe it is on your sd. Once TWRP is odined, boot to recovery and inject (flash) SuperSU. When booted you will most likely be prompted to update SuperSU as i believe there was an update today, assuming you are injecting 2.16. These steps are only for those having troubles flashing do to CF Root braking TWRP. If this has been fixed, i apologize and please ignore, as i have not checked today.

Post your experience with this mod here, any issues, requests and so on, and i will try to get back to you as soon as time allows. Happy flashing and i hope you all like it. It took me 5 hrs to figure out the correct code for the device and play scenarios in mixer_paths to get this working correctly, and a bunch of testing to get it bug free but well worth it. Hope you guys share my enthusiasm with this mod.

Known Bugs: Sound plays from earpiece speaker while headphones are connected. FIXED
Please let me know if you find something i missed. Thank You.

Quote:

CREDITS

DWITHERELL-You are the best. Thank you for zipping it all up, and listening to all my dumb comments and questions...
Chainfire
Deeznuts
Jdidtht
Bacardilimon

Contributors
SShafranko

Version Information

Created
November 25, 2014

Downloads

Dual mono SURROUND SOUND MOD- http://d-h.st/LgZ -
REVERT TO STOCK - http://d-h.st/fCpS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stero SURROUND SOUND MOD- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=75 -- thanks to @garynych

All this is thanks to @ sshafranko so please do thank him on his thread, This has been shared here with permission from the owner
The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to androidous For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift androidous Ad-Free

7th December 2014, 01:24 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2,590

More
Why not. I'll make a nandroid and give it a shot
7th December 2014, 01:25 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Yes, I'll try
7th December 2014, 02:47 AM |#4  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 885

More
OK. So comparing this to

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...perme-t2621736

It's like a massively loud version of that. Too increased. The speakers can't handle it. It gets too distorted. At the max volume. Near the middle is where it sounds at max without distortion. A bit past it is where the phone starts to sound different.

In other words, still nice.
Just keep the volume low, lol.
7th December 2014, 03:25 AM |#5  
Currently in Singapore
Thanks Meter: 156

Donate to Me
More
will it work on 4.4.2 ?
7th December 2014, 04:07 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2,590

More
Agreed with @Curiousn00b 100%. The front speaker can't handle high volume. About 1/4, maybe 1/3 volume is its limit before getting distorted. After that it's just really badly distorted. No disrespect to the person who made the mod, I really like the idea. I might keep it though. Depends. I usually have an AUX cord or headphones plugged in, so it isn't an issue. If I find myself having to turn up the volume for things like random videos I watch online, I'll revert. Otherwise I'll keep it. Thanks for sharing.

Disclaimer: Do not leave music playing on your front speaker with the volume on high. I was worried mine was going to blow after about 5 seconds on max. Then again I tested with Damian Marley & Skrillex, so...
7th December 2014, 05:48 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag colombo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ

Agreed with @Curiousn00b 100%. The front speaker can't handle high volume. About 1/4, maybe 1/3 volume is its limit before getting distorted. After that it's just really badly distorted. No disrespect to the person who made the mod, I really like the idea. I might keep it though. Depends. I usually have an AUX cord or headphones plugged in, so it isn't an issue. If I find myself having to turn up the volume for things like random videos I watch online, I'll revert. Otherwise I'll keep it. Thanks for sharing.

Disclaimer: Do not leave music playing on your front speaker with the volume on high. I was worried mine was going to blow after about 5 seconds on max. Then again I tested with Damian Marley & Skrillex, so...

hmm Ill do some modifications myself and post an update soon .. didnt have time it was 5am after finishing off theme work and i quickly zipped it up ill make an update on this soon
7th December 2014, 06:32 AM |#8  
Flag cosenza
Thanks Meter: 5,392

Donate to Me
More
@androidous my friend fixed flashable version...No Distorted Sound....
Attached Files
File Type: zip SurroundFixed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (125.0 KB, 2072 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daniel84cs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel84cs Ad-Free
7th December 2014, 07:13 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag colombo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84cs

@androidous my friend fixed flashable version...No Distorted Sound....

hey man thanks .. is this what you modified yourself ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to androidous For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift androidous Ad-Free
7th December 2014, 07:20 AM |#10  
Flag cosenza
Thanks Meter: 5,392

Donate to Me
More
@androidous

Yes, this is default sended me by sshafranko for initial test (first as you open this thread) in this version I have removed Speaker Boost and fixed a surround mod string.
Your files in origin is my mixer_paths sended by me to sshafranko for insert the mod, but in your files is present speaker boost, it make distorced sound, not surround mod.
All Credit to @sshafranko for great mod....
Post this in OT.....

Your File

My File

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daniel84cs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel84cs Ad-Free
7th December 2014, 07:46 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag colombo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84cs

@androidous

Yes, this is default sended me by sshafranko for initial test (first as you open this thread) in this version I have removed Speaker Boost and fixed a surround mod string.
Your files in origin is my mixer_paths sended by me to sshafranko for insert the mod, but in your files is present speaker boost, it make distorced sound, not surround mod.
All Credit to @sshafranko for great mod....
Post this in OT.....

Your File

My File

thanks so much for correting me is it okay if i mirror the file you sent to devhost? and share in OP ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mod, sound, surroundsound

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)