QKSMS - Beautiful SMS app

Search This thread

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
Beautiful SMS app which in in beta, I am using it now as my daily sms app and I love it!

6TI9Mzz.png

https://plus.google.com/communities/113548623434189541823

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
Very nice! Can you link me to the playstore? Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

junglebungle

Feb 1, 2011
Found a bug, if you go through your contact list and select a contact and click on the message icon to send a SMS it brings up the QKSMS app but doesn't let you do anything its just a blank page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

moezb

May 2, 2013
Toronto
plus.google.com
Quite simple and clean..like it..!
Thanks for sharing..!

I'm glad you like it! Keep me posted

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

looks amazing! can't wait to test it out!

Let me know what you think!

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Found a bug, if you go through your contact list and select a contact and click on the message icon to send a SMS it brings up the QKSMS app but doesn't let you do anything its just a blank page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Someone else noticed the same thing so I'll just copy and paste my response

"That's correct, the same thing happens when you click on "Message" from a missed call. It's just something I have not implemented yet"

Liam0o

Jun 1, 2012
Very very nice UI, only used it for 5 minutes and it's easily the nicest looking SMS app i've used

Few personal suggestions of mine:

- Add 24 hour option for timestamps
- Keep it simple and clean, no offence to go sms but it's so cluttered and bogged down by useless "features" that it's nowhere near as snappy as it should be, would hate to see this go the same way
-Add a "donate to remove ads" option, even in it's current form it's definitely worth it

Other than that, thanks for the app and keep it going :good:

moezb

May 2, 2013
Toronto
plus.google.com
Very very nice UI, only used it for 5 minutes and it's easily the nicest looking SMS app i've used

Few personal suggestions of mine:

- Add 24 hour option for timestamps
- Keep it simple and clean, no offence to go sms but it's so cluttered and bogged down by useless "features" that it's nowhere near as snappy as it should be, would hate to see this go the same way
-Add a "donate to remove ads" option, even in it's current form it's definitely worth it

Other than that, thanks for the app and keep it going :good:

Good idea, I can add the timestamps in the next update.

I will definitely do that. I absolutely cannot stand GO at all for exactly that reason. I'll do my best to make sure it still stays minimal while offering everything you'd want in an SMS app.

I'm going to add an option to donate after I add MMS, that's the point where I would feel comfortable asking

I'm glad you like it, if you think of any other suggestions then let me know :)

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
Beautiful app so far. Need MMS/group messaging and it'll be my daily driver.

^^ this

so far it's an excellent app, runs super smooth on my n5, love the UI as well, just need mms to be able to use it as my dd for messaging. right now switching between this and hello sms.

i agree with the holding back on feature creep/bloat just add in what's needed on a daily basis (search, message from contact list, mms, group) even emoji isn't needed since it's integrated into the google keyboard (imo) a fast and stable messaging app is all i need. and if a donate / paid option is added, i am happy to throw some money your way for what is shaping up to be quite nice :)

caenix8

Dec 12, 2010
If you need help to translate into Spanish, I can help you because I speak this language

Last edited:

moezb

May 2, 2013
Toronto
plus.google.com
If you need help to translate into Spanish, I can help you because I speak this language

Awesome! Thank you very much. I'll contact you later on to see if you're still interested and we can set something up :)

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

^^ this

so far it's an excellent app, runs super smooth on my n5, love the UI as well, just need mms to be able to use it as my dd for messaging. right now switching between this and hello sms.

i agree with the holding back on feature creep/bloat just add in what's needed on a daily basis (search, message from contact list, mms, group) even emoji isn't needed since it's integrated into the google keyboard (imo) a fast and stable messaging app is all i need. and if a donate / paid option is added, i am happy to throw some money your way for what is shaping up to be quite nice :)

I'm glad you like it!

Keeping it minimal but flexible is pretty much my number 1 guideline moving forward.

Thank you very much :D

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 25th May 2014 at 11:58 PM ----------

For some reason it doesn't show my contact pictures? Any way to fix this?

MOTO X

If you click on the contact, does it show the correct picture in the popup?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Beautiful SMS app which in in beta, I am using it now as my daily sms app and I love it!

6TI9Mzz.png

https://plus.google.com/communities/113548623434189541823
    Thanks for sharing my app! If anyone has any questions then I would be happy to answer :)

Editing my comment to share some more recent pictures

oIZ83rz.png

Ojylj47.png

PfUelLC.png

KcXAhVL.png

64rPQ2e.png

aIYFrea.png

Y5dwDVk.png

HXLK4lS.png
    An apps with ad in beta stage is not accepted.

Please use the app for more than 6 seconds before you say something like that.
    One of the first options in the settings is to disable the ads. For free.

I'm not even charging anything to use the app, it shouldn't matter that it's in "beta". There are apps in the Play Store that are far more incomplete than mine, but I'm calling it beta because I have higher standards for what I am releasing, and so people can try it and give feedback before it has been perfected.

Please, for your own good, try to lose some that sense of entitlement that you have. The world will be a happier place, I promise.
    Great app

Some emoji and smile are missing....but I hope it will come in the next versions:D
    @Dev.if you need input....you can use "8sms" from the store as template....
    Select more conversations to delet......that's would be also a great option.....

Cheers

Recently I've actually been looking into the Android source code to help me make the app more efficient (that's what 8sms is based on )

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Installed it yesterday and playing around with it for sometime. To start off it looks super clean and smooth to use for the most part. The good things first
    - I really like the way the color scheme is implemented. It makes the app look super clean and elegant.
    - I dont have a lot of messages, but it seems to scroll and transition smoothly on Nexus 5 running android L preview.

Some minor issues
    - Currently app is prompting everytime I open it to set as default app. I am using it to play around and check the app out. So could it be possible to make it not ask everytime when the app is opened? Maybe you can add the option to set default sms app in settings and pop-up the default app message only on the first run.
    - There is a small delay when opening the app and black bar before the theme is loaded. It kind of feels a bit odd to see it everytime. I read in G+ that this is known and dev is looking into it.
    - Currently I cannot add more than one recipient when I click on the new message icon from conversation view. Is this area a work in progress?
    - Number needs to be displayed in conversation list if the sender is not in the contacts list. Currently it is displayed as blank and a # for the contact picture.
    - Overscroll glow blends with the white and not clearly visible when I try to swipe past the end of list. Not sure if this is OS specific or app specific color choice.

Some feature requests
    - SMS backup to butt (say google drive)? This will really help while flashing a new ROM. Backup and restore once a new ROM is flashed. A scheduled butt backup would be awesome
    - scheduled SMS
    - Option to load only mobile number of contacts in new compose window
    - PIN/Pattern lock for security
    - Transparent (Or semi transparent) navigation bar
    - Contact details to be displayed when I click the contact name at the top.
    - Batch deletion of messages and conversations

Thats all for now. I am keenly looking forward to use this as daily driver once it becomes stable with newer features implemented. Keep up the great work.

Woah, big comment. Thanks for taking the time!

I'll answer each point in order
    Minor issues
    - That's correct. I understand that it can be annoying if you just want to check out the app, so I'm going to be making a less intrusive way of asking the user. Right now it's just a placeholder
    - That delay with black just due to some performance issues, and it's not setting the colour quick enough. It's something I need to work on, and I plan on spending a lot of time on performance soon
    - Right no there is no MMS / Group messaging, so you can only have on recipient. Within the next week or two, regardless if group texting is done or not, I'll add a way for you to just send the message to multiple people separately, but at the same time
    - If you go into the conversation and click on a message to view the details, does it show the number correctly?
    - I believe it's an OS thing. I'm not sure if I can style that myself, but I will look into it

Feature Requests
    - Already planning on it. I often have to use someone else's app to back up my SMS, so I figured I might as well make it part of QKSMS :) I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to make this option free though. I might bundle it under the "$1 to remove ads". I definitely won't make it a separate purchase though.
    - Planning on it!
    - ^
    - Later on, I've got some ideas that I want to implement for security. They are not going to be my main focus for a little while though, I doubt they will before the app is fully launched
    - I was playing around with it and it was causing issues for the sliding panels, so I put it on hold for a little while. Once I'm done with some of the bigger stuff, I will spend some time and get it to work properly
    - I'll be adding something like that soon. Right now if you want to see contact details, you can click on their picture in the conversation list
    - Batch selection is another thing I'd like to add, after swipe to delete/archive :)
    You also have to consider that the developer is more likely developing this fine product on his own time, like many others.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You're exactly right.

I'm still a student, in my last few weeks of high school now. Most of the time that I'm not spending studying for my exams or finishing up assignments, I'm working on QKSMS. I even quit my part-time job so that I could focus on the app more, especially once my exams are over, during the summer.

I'm hoping to have a fully polished app with more features ready before I start university, that way I can spend as much time as I need to in order to make the app better, but I don't need to worry about always being ready to fix major bugs as soon as they arise. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often once I leave the testing phase :)