FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Root Grand Quattro / Win (GT-i8552)

135 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By Endroyed, Senior Member on 2nd December 2014, 08:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
How To Root Galaxy Win or Galaxy Grand Quattro (GT-I8552)

Best viewed in a Web browser. The pictures won't appear as intended in the XDA app.

One of the bit.ly/shortened URLs linked in this guide which directly leads to the download page of the file may be blocked by a security feature. They're all safe. Once you click a link you may be warned by your browser for accessing the URLs, but fortunately, the Warning page has a part where there's an option to proceed with accessing the page, just proceed and click the link. See example below.
bitly suggests that you
Change the original link, and re-shorten with bitly
Close your browser window
Notify the sender of the URL

Or, continue at your own risk to: http://download.clockworkmod.com/dri...ile_Phones.exe
If you get no warnings, much better. Let's proceed.

The Preparation : Before you start, make sure that . . .
1) You have a PC / Laptop running Windows Platform
2) Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones (click to DL from clockworkmod.com) is installed
3) Phone battery power is at least 70%. That's good enough to not run out of power during this whole process.
4) Its USB Debugging is enabled (Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging)
5) You have a USB Cable to establish a connection between the phone & your computer
6) You have the files needed. Keep three files in one folder.
- twrp_2.8_material - 9185 KB (click to DL directly from its dev's (Gody) MediaFire drive)
- Odin3-v3.09.zip - 972 KB (click to DL from sammobile.com's MEGA shared cloud storage) This software runs only on Windows platform.
- SuperSU_v1.94.zip - 1,703 KB (click to DL direclty from chainfire website)
7) A copy of that flashable zip file "SuperSU" must be saved in your phone's memory, internal or external .
1st Step : Flashing TWRP Recovery Via Odin
What is Recovery? | The Two Android Recovery Agents (CWM & TWRP)

Here, we will use TWRP Recovery. We will install it on the device using the Odin software.

Required: your phone, Windows PC, USB cable, Odin, and TWRP (.tar file)

1) Boot phone to "Odin Mode, a.k.a. Download Mode" by pressing the buttons at the same time: Volume Down, Power, & Home. When the device vibrates, immediately release the Power button while still pressing the other two until the Download Mode's warning screen appears.

Volume Down, Power, HomeDownload Mode's Warning Screen

2) Press the "Volume Up" button to continue to Odin Mode
3) In your computer, using WinRar or 7-zip, extract the Odin zip file, then run Odin3 v3.09.exe as Administrator
4) Connect your phone to your PC via USB. It should say "Added" on Odin.
5) On Odin, click the "AP" button, find and select the "twrp_2.8_material.tar"
6) Click "Start" to proceed in flashing the TWRP Recovery. *This takes about a minute.
7) It's partially finished when it says RESET! with these three lines in the message box.

RQT_CLOSE !!
RES OK !!
Removed!!

Then, phone will reboot automatically to OS.

8) Sometimes it takes a few more seconds after the phone has rebooted for you to be able to completely close Odin. Just wait for Odin to change its status from RESET! to PASS! and say All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0), as shown in the picture below.

Then, you may click Exit and disconnect cable.

Successful TWRP Installation

TWRP 2.8.5.0 Recovery is now installed.
And this is how to boot to "Recovery Mode". Press the buttons at the same time: Volume Up, Power, & Home. When the device vibrates, immediately release the Power button while still pressing the other two until the SAMSUNG boot-screen appears. See photo instructions below.

Buttons To Press For Recovery ModeSAMSUNG Boot Screen
By the way, see the pictures below for the difference between the Galaxy Win's stock recovery and TWRP's recovery.
Android Stock RecoveryTWRP Recovery
Important : NANDroid Backup

At this point, with TWRP Recovery installed, you can now create a NANDroid backup. It's a backup of literally everything in your phone - System, Cache, Data, EFS, and Boot. It is considered to be the top priority of things to do before messing with your phone i.e. flashing ROMs, kernels, or apps. After you create a backup, the backup file would be located in "sdcard0/TWRP/BACKUPS/" for internally saved backup, and "extSdCard/TWRP/BACKUPS/" if it's saved to the external memory. This file can also be transferred to a different storage, say a hard-disk, if you need to have more space on your phone for something else. You may skip to the actual rooting part. But, in case you do want to create a backup just follow the simple steps below.
1) Boot phone to Recovery Mode
2) Select Backup
3) This part lets you name the backup file with whatever name you want, choose whether to save it internally or externally, and pick which stuff you'd like to backup. And when you're ready, swipe to backup.
*This may take 5-10 minutes depending on how big your whole current installation is.
4) Once done, you may proceed with the 2nd part of this rooting guide.
2nd & Final Step: Flashing SuperSU
SuperSU allows for advanced management of Superuser access rights for all the apps on your device that need root.

Required: your phone, and SuperSU (.zip file)

1) Boot phone to Recovery Mode
2) Select Install
2) Locate the zip file SuperSU
3) Go ahead and swipe to install SuperSU *This takes just 5-10 seconds.
4) Reboot System

You now have root access. Good luck!

Important Reads After Rooting An Android Device:
What Is A Nandroid Backup and How Exactly Does It Work?
TriangleAway – Reset Flash Counter Tool
11 Things To Do After Rooting Your Android Smartphone | RootMyAndroid.Org

Suggested ROM:
COSMIC 2.0 ROM (released 4/27/15) (CM10). Rated to be the most stable custom ROM for the device.
Originally developed for Galaxy Core Duos by dev abhi922, then ported by dev gody420 to work on Grand Quattro.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Endroyed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Endroyed Ad-Free

22nd January 2015, 09:26 PM |#2  
Flag Salvador
Thanks Meter: 28

Donate to Me
More
Hey mate, thanks a lot! Your guide is very clean and objective. Links shown properly. You did a good job!

But I'm still facing a problem on my I-8552B. Whichever Recovery I try to flash, I keep getting a black screen.
I tried the one you posted and the 6.0.3.7 version, but nothing different. :/
23rd January 2015, 09:56 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks! I'm as glad that this guide is helpful to us who need it.

When does this black screen appear?
What have you done so far?

Sent from my GT-I8552
23rd January 2015, 01:29 PM |#4  
Flag Salvador
Thanks Meter: 28

Donate to Me
More
The phone is working properly, I can boot into the system normally. But after I flash any custom recovery via Odin (all I tried, so far), and boot into recovery (phone off, VOL +, Home and PWR boot), I get a black screen.

I've read that people are getting this issue on devices bought after July/14...
25th January 2015, 08:47 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Please refer to this thread for more ideas.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2977978

Best of luck!

Sent from my GT-I8552
The Following User Says Thank You to Endroyed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Endroyed Ad-Free
30th April 2015, 07:24 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi. .when my galaxy win was rooted, the task manager was deleted. Is there a way to recover it plz. .tnx

Sent from my GT-I8552 using XDA Free mobile app
4th September 2015, 10:18 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Good Share
Thanks for clear share;

1- Odin3-v3.09.zip link dead
2- I download the v3.07 and It works only AP = PDA
3-I like the TWRP screen

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to neoloper For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neoloper Ad-Free
27th October 2015, 11:27 AM |#9  
Flag Chennai

More
i'm too having the same problem..after flashing custom recovery, the screen goes black when i try to enter recovery mode
12th October 2016, 08:59 AM |#10  

More
Samsung Galaxy Win GT-I8552B
Excellent tutorial, but I could not install SuperSU, my phone model is
Samsung Galaxy Win GT-I8552B
Version: 4.1.2
Can you help me?
Best regards
Roosevelt Paz Garcia
23rd October 2016, 06:58 PM |#11  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I am stuck at 'starting adb sideload features' in adb sideload. Please suggest what to do?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)