FORUMS

Chromebook Acer C720P getting Google Play Store with Chrome OS 65+ recovery from USB.

515 posts
Thanks Meter: 145

By nabil2000, Senior Member on 17th June 2018, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th September 2018, 01:28 PM |#101  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
If you boot from USB, what version on your internal disk is irrelevant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickl1990

I'm afraid to ask for a step by step-- but I'm a bit lost. I used win32 diskimager to install the chromiumos to a usb drive-- then tried to boot from it in developer mode, but it said that there was not a valid OS present on the USB drive.
I'm currently running Version 71.0.3558.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)

As of current, is the recovery_2008.conf the conf of choice? and then how do I install it... I'm new to this and thoroughly lost.

I have experience rooting android phones, and with windows pcs, but I just got my chromebook last week

1st October 2018, 11:45 PM |#102  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
arnoldthebat Chromium OS v69 no Android - but with crostini
The open source arnoldthebat chromium OS v69 special build - https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress...d-r69-10895-b/
has built in Linux support with crostini - working for some devices - check here: https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress...-apps-support/

! @arnoldthebat latest Chromium OS special build r69 can boot Acer CB C720P - you need use this trick: try & boot using Ctrl-L (which will fail), then boot using Ctrl-U...
For Android it misses arc config files, plenty of them, so will fail to load Android.

Here is an analysis of the missing files which all need to be in the rootfs 2GB partition

#arnoldthebat > For Android he put in the framework, but all necessary files are missing in
/etc/init
/opt/google/containers/android/
/usr/local/Android_Images/
No wonder Android not working...
I tried to put in the files manually, but it ends up saying no space left, sneaky #Google 🤪🐸
https://twitter.com/meNabster/status...42269745922050

More details:
on Acer C720P CB
arnoldthebat v69 no Android
RootFS partition in /dev/sdb3 - size 2GB - free space 453.38 MB
cyan v69 with Android
RootFS partition in /dev/sdb3 - size 2GB - free space 63.84 MB

at some stage @google will have to increase the size of the rootfs partition, @cloudready already did:

cloudready
RootFS partition in /dev/sdb3 - size 2.98 GB - free space 1.70GB
2nd October 2018, 12:46 AM |#103  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Arnoldthebat Android missing files in Chromium OS r69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabil2000

The open source arnoldthebat chromium OS v69 special build - https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress...d-r69-10895-b/
has built in Linux support with crostini - working for some devices - check here: https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress...-apps-support/

! @arnoldthebat latest Chromium OS special build r69 can boot Acer CB C720P - you need use this trick: try & boot using Ctrl-L (which will fail), then boot using Ctrl-U...
For Android it misses arc config files, plenty of them, so will fail to load Android.

Here is an analysis of the missing files which all need to be in the rootfs 2GB partition

#arnoldthebat > For Android he put in the framework, but all necessary files are missing in
/etc/init
/opt/google/containers/android/
/usr/local/Android_Images/
No wonder Android not working...
I tried to put in the files manually, but it ends up saying no space left, sneaky #Google 🤪
https://twitter.com/meNabster/status...42269745922050

More details:
on Acer C720P CB
arnoldthebat v69 no Android
RootFS partition in /dev/sdb3 - size 2GB - free space 453.38 MB
cyan v69 with Android
RootFS partition in /dev/sdb3 - size 2GB - free space 63.84 MB

at some stage @google will have to increase the size of the rootfs partition, @cloudready already did:

cloudready
RootFS partition in /dev/sdb3 - size 2.98 GB - free space 1.70GB

Missing files & folders in arnoldthebat
/opt/google/containers/android/ - config.json rootfs system.raw.img usr vendor.raw.img
system.raw.img - size: 461983744
vendor.raw.img - size: 48439296
already these two take up all the space left in the rootfs partition...
so arnoldthebat is using up more space, & has not enough space to accommodate Android.

Missing arc files in /etc/init: -

arc-adbd.conf arc-kmsg-logger.conf arc-network.conf arc-removable-media.conf arc-setfattr.conf arc-start-sysctl.conf arc-ureadahead.conf arc-boot-continue.conf arc-lifetime.conf arc-obb-mounter.conf arc-sdcard.conf arc-setup-env arc-stop-sysctl.conf arc-ureadahead-trace.conf
arc-camera.conf arc-network-bridge.conf arc-oemcrypto.conf arc-sensor.conf arc-stale-directory-remover.conf arc-system-mount.conf

Missing folders / files in /opt/google/containers/
android arc-art arc-obb-mounter arc-removable-media arc-sdcard

Other misc -
/etc/arc - features.json
/etc/selinux - arc config intermediates.raw
/etc/selinux/arc - contexts policy
/etc/selinux/arc/contexts -
/etc/selinux/arc/contexts/files - android_file_contexts file_contexts
/etc/selinux/arc/policy - policy.30
11th October 2018, 05:34 AM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Sorry total noob to chromebooks, but is there any way to get around a developer mode lock on the C720P to perform this hack?
11th October 2018, 08:30 PM |#105  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Nope, you need to be in developer mode.

... Unless you convince @Acer & @google to support it

They are not interested, they want you to buy their newer tin.

Acer CB C720P is a very capable machine, but their greed will not support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinpatterson

Sorry total noob to chromebooks, but is there any way to get around a developer mode lock on the C720P to perform this hack?

13th October 2018, 01:19 PM |#106  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabil2000

Nope, you need to be in developer mode.

OK thanks nabil2000
29th October 2018, 02:25 AM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
With the c720p, is it possible or even easier to just remove the orignal ssd, and replace it with a new blank one and just install to that instead of messing with booting from a usb stick?

If so what would be the best steps and files to use to create the recovery usb?

Or do you need to keep the original ssd in, create the usb (using a new ssd and usb adapter) following instructions in #47 and then switch it out with the original ssd?
31st October 2018, 12:46 AM |#108  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceb29

With the c720p, is it possible or even easier to just remove the orignal ssd, and replace it with a new blank one and just install to that instead of messing with booting from a usb stick?

If so what would be the best steps and files to use to create the recovery usb?

Or do you need to keep the original ssd in, create the usb (using a new ssd and usb adapter) following instructions in #47 and then switch it out with the original ssd?

Test it & report - if you bork your SSD just create a recovery usb.
I can't say as did not try it.
One way might be make a usb as advised then use this to copy it over from a linux livecd:
sudo dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sda bs=4M
where /dev/sdx is the created usb with ChromeOS with Play Store...
should be /dev/sdc (/dev/sdb being the livecd)
NB. /dev/sdc should be smaller size than your internal ssd /dev/sda
23rd November 2018, 10:52 AM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I would pay someone to do this for me. Seems too complicated
25th November 2018, 07:39 AM |#110  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
[GUIDE][CHROMEFY] Installing official Chrome OS on any device (PC / PC-like tablet)
When I have the time & energy, I will try
[GUIDE][CHROMEFY] Installing official Chrome OS on any device (PC / PC-like tablet)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/har...os-pc-t3865697

They claim it gives a Chrome OS with Android & crostini on normal Windows PC/Laptop/tablets...
Using the script I hacked only provided Android for supported recovery's like cyan/auron_paine/wizpig/relm/...

RFC - is it easy for noobs to use? many complained here that it is too complicated to use the script I scavenged in post #1

Reports that recovery image caroline/fizz yield good results for normal PC's - I only have Acer W700, Acer C720P & Apple Macbook Air mid 2011 to play with...
so does caroline & fizz support their chipsets?
Cherrytrail, Baytrail Atom sticks & tablets are off limit for crostini as they do not do hardware virtualisation, but crouton is better than crostini & works on all.

Note - Above arnoldthebat R55 as base OS does not work for Acer CB C720P - ordinary PC's seem not to mind with arnoldthebat R6X like R69

*** great news ***
For Acer Chromebook C720P - from USB 3.0 -
Using chromefy with fizz / caroline yields fully working Chrome OS with arnoldthebat latest r69 Chromium OS as base -
all works, including Android & crostini, & uses Linux Kernel 4.15
this is the outcome I was looking for!
boots using Control-u
great work for the chromefy team...

breakdown on how I did it in next post...

Side notes -
chromefy is not for noobs either, if only for the instruction to resize the Root-A partition...
I tested it using cyan instead of fizz, does not yield crostini, but having Kernel 4.14 instead of 3.18 is great...
27th November 2018, 01:38 AM |#111  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
[CHROMEFY] Install official Chrome OS w/ Android & crostini for Acer Chromebook C720P
1. You need two USB sticks with arnoldthebat Chromiusm OS enhanced R69 special build - get it here:
https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress...pecial-builds/
Using windisk imager, image the 2 sticks with the Chromium OS.
One stick (with Chromium OS r69) will be to boot to from USB, the other stick (or SSD) will be to install Chrome OS to.

N.B. The target install partition to hold Chrome OS ROOT-A /dev/sdc3 in my case, needs to be resized to at least 4GB (from 2 GB) -
I used gparted gui from a Ubuntu livecd to resize it, expand it by 2048MB,
this requires to rezise/move the /dev/sdc1 partition to the right by 2048MB, then resize /dev/sdc3 by expanding it by 2048MB.

2. Boot up to the installation/configuration stick (from above) & download the chromefy.sh script from
https://github.com/imperador/chromefy/releases/tag/v1.1
to a folder in~/Downloads
(specifics left to you)

3. Download from Google repository these two recovery images
fizz
chromeos_10895.78.0_fizz_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v8.bin.zip
caroline
chromeos_10895.78.0_caroline_recovery_stable-channel_mp.bin.zip

url addresses in first post of this thread...

unzip both bin images to a folder in ~/Downloads
(specifics left to you)

4. Determine which is the location of the second USB stick you want as target (it has the second Chromium OS you imaged earlier)
In my case it is /dev/sdc
(/dev/sda is the internal, /dev/sdb is the Chromium OS you booted into & are working from)

5. from a shell (ctlt-alt-t)
$ shell
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ sudo df # (or sudo fdisk -l) to determine disk target
$ sudo bash chromefy.sh /dev/sdc3 chromeos_10895.78.0_fizz_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v8.bin chromeos_10895.78.0_caroline_recovery_stable-channel_mp.bin

that's it - it will do its thing, then ask you to reboot...
remove the 1st usb stick, replace it with the 2nd usb stick, boot from it
& you have, hopefully, a fully working Chrome OS with Linux Kernel 4.14, Android & crostini enabled...

ack & greets, respect to anoldthebat & the chromefy team for making this possible...

small caveat - you cannot root android in this setup as trying to make the system r/w wrecks the setup - welcome to solve this

NB & PS -
It might be a good idea to use the combo cyan / caroline first in 5) to start with to make sure to avoid the blank screen described below for Acer Chromebook C720P...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nabil2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nabil2000 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
acer, android, c720p, chromebook, play store

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)