FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FydeOS with full Google sync and without using a FydeOs account

617 posts
Thanks Meter: 312
 
By lucaoldb, Senior Member on 27th November 2018, 12:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

First of all, press CTRL + ALT + T

then use this commands

shell
sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
#--fydemina
--google-account-enabled

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be able to add a secondary account, then you'll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented, and reboot...

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

Now you can use the secondary account, which is fully working and syncing to google servers (only) and forget about the other one (i.e. the FydeOs one).

I tested these steps once only and maybe not all of them were required, but my device has been working fine for 3 days straight without any issue.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lucaoldb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lucaoldb Ad-Free
 
 
28th November 2018, 04:41 PM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaoldb

FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

First of all, press CTRL + ALT + T

then use this commands

shell
sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
#--fydemina
--google-account-enabled

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder

Thanks for the walkthrough! Thankfully I'm familiar with VIM so your instructions were easy peasy.

I did up until here on my flash drive with my main laptop but since it's AMD and won't run Android apps or Linux, I switched to my Intel. First boot let me log into Google right away and appeared to have Android enabled but kept erroring when trying to connect so I proceeded with the steps to progress and was successful. I don't even have a fydeos account on here at all!

I assume you could follow these steps the way I did to get it on a he's without having the fydeos account as well (this was all on a flash drive)
The Following User Says Thank You to coolloser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coolloser Ad-Free
28th November 2018, 06:16 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag MILAN
Thanks Meter: 312
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolloser

Thanks for the walkthrough! Thankfully I'm familiar with VIM so your instructions were easy peasy.

I did up until here on my flash drive with my main laptop but since it's AMD and won't run Android apps or Linux, I switched to my Intel. First boot let me log into Google right away and appeared to have Android enabled but kept erroring when trying to connect so I proceeded with the steps to progress and was successful. I don't even have a fydeos account on here at all!

I assume you could follow these steps the way I did to get it on a he's without having the fydeos account as well (this was all on a flash drive)

Yes, I had just reported the way I had gone, but I was quite sure that some steps were redundant
28th November 2018, 06:24 PM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaoldb

Yes, I had just reported the way I had gone, but I was quite sure that some steps were redundant

I'm just glad you were successful, I knew there had to be a way to do it!
I'll try installing it onto the hard drive maybe tonight, it'll be a triple boot setup with win 7 and 10 though so I may try and find a different old computer to try instead to save the head ache...
29th November 2018, 06:51 AM |#5  
primod808's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag TOYOHASHI
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
I have fyde os on USB working but my issue is full install on my laptop is using EMMC storage and when installing it aborts at the end. What are the commands to install on EMMC drive? Thanks again.
29th November 2018, 08:44 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag MILAN
Thanks Meter: 312
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by primod808

I have fyde os on USB working but my issue is full install on my laptop is using EMMC storage and when installing it aborts at the end. What are the commands to install on EMMC drive? Thanks again.

I just followed these instructions https://neverware.zendesk.com/hc/en-...a-the-Cmd-Line
The Following User Says Thank You to lucaoldb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lucaoldb Ad-Free
30th November 2018, 04:46 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Hello. Thank you very much for these instructions.

But i got stuck at this point

"After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it."

I can't delete these apps because they seem to be installed with enterprise policies. Can someone help please?
30th November 2018, 06:21 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Ah... I did a powerwash and logged in with my Google account. I could then delete the fydeos extensions
3rd December 2018, 01:12 AM |#9  
primod808's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag TOYOHASHI
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Ok feeling stupid I did his before but now I'm having trouble putting the commands. Stuck after incognito enabled secondary account sync flag then it ask to reboot browser. Not the computer reboot but chrome browser reboot but it doesn't prompt me to login to my Google account. Went back to she'll mount remount to try again but get this. After cd etc/chromium/policies/managed hit enter add sudo rm *.* It say cannot remove no such file found. When i did it the first time I can get to the vim part I commented last 2 lines and added the Google enabled line then i :wq to save and quit. Do suppose save and quit right or does it save automatically?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181203_100239.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	4657073  
3rd December 2018, 01:32 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by primod808

Ok feeling stupid I did his before but now I'm having trouble putting the commands. Stuck after incognito enabled secondary account sync flag then it ask to reboot browser. Not the computer reboot but chrome browser reboot but it doesn't prompt me to login to my Google account. Went back to she'll mount remount to try again but get this. After cd etc/chromium/policies/managed hit enter add sudo rm *.* It say cannot remove no such file found. When i did it the first time I can get to the vim part I commented last 2 lines and added the Google enabled line then i :wq to save and quit. Do suppose save and quit right or does it save automatically?


The file is removed which is why it can't find it. wq saves and quits the editor so that's ready. Try a full reboot and see if adding a new account goes through Google now instead of fyde servers.
3rd December 2018, 02:05 AM |#11  
primod808's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag TOYOHASHI
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolloser

The file is removed which is why it can't find it. wq saves and quits the editor so that's ready. Try a full reboot and see if adding a new account goes through Google now instead of fyde servers.

Thanks I tried but still didn't work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes