FydeOS with full Google sync and without using a FydeOs account

Search This thread

lucaoldb

Apr 20, 2012
MILAN
FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

First of all, press CTRL + ALT + T

then use this commands

shell
sudo su

and you’ll have got to insert the password chronos

then go on and mount the system to read and write

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

then remove a couple of files

cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

(disclaimer: please google for vim commands, it’s preinstalled in chrome os)

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydeos-account-enabled
#--fydemina
--google-account-enabled

Close the tab and open a chromium tab in incognito mode, then type

chrome://flags

Look for the flag Support secondary accounts for Sync standalone transport

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be able to add a secondary account, then you'll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder:)

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented, and reboot...

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

Now you can use the secondary account, which is fully working and syncing to google servers (only) and forget about the other one (i.e. the FydeOs one).

I tested these steps once only and maybe not all of them were required, but my device has been working fine for 3 days straight without any issue.

Last edited:
FydeOs is a good chromium fork and it supports android, but it lacks a full google sync and that’s not so good, since sync across multiple devices is the best thing ever and that’s where Google services do play their best. At least I think so.

Moreover, FydeOs by default sends the user’s data to their servers. They do such thing in an open way, through a FydeOs account, so they shouldn’t be blamed, but we are free to use the Os which is in our device without sharing our data with FydeOs so as some don’t like sharing their data with Google.

So, I have found a quite easy way to remove those limitations. The purpose is to use FydeOs without a FydeOs account, without sharing our data (passwords and so on) with them, while retaining a fully functional play store and a full google sync.

This is a simple how-to written in a few spare time. If I get more time, I will make it less rough.

then use this commands

shell
sudo su

sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

comment the lines referring to FydeOs account like that and add a line referring to google account (maybe useless)

#--fydemina
--google-account-enabled

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be prompted to insert your google account.

Follow the usual steps to configure the device and your apps and settings will be restored (if you already have got another chromebook). The file manager now will show your google drive folder:)

Thanks for the walkthrough! Thankfully I'm familiar with VIM so your instructions were easy peasy.

I did up until here on my flash drive with my main laptop but since it's AMD and won't run Android apps or Linux, I switched to my Intel. First boot let me log into Google right away and appeared to have Android enabled but kept erroring when trying to connect so I proceeded with the steps to progress and was successful. I don't even have a fydeos account on here at all!

I assume you could follow these steps the way I did to get it on a he's without having the fydeos account as well (this was all on a flash drive)

Reactions: chukzde

lucaoldb

Apr 20, 2012
MILAN
Thanks for the walkthrough! Thankfully I'm familiar with VIM so your instructions were easy peasy.

I did up until here on my flash drive with my main laptop but since it's AMD and won't run Android apps or Linux, I switched to my Intel. First boot let me log into Google right away and appeared to have Android enabled but kept erroring when trying to connect so I proceeded with the steps to progress and was successful. I don't even have a fydeos account on here at all!

I assume you could follow these steps the way I did to get it on a he's without having the fydeos account as well (this was all on a flash drive)

Yes, I had just reported the way I had gone, but I was quite sure that some steps were redundant:)

Yes, I had just reported the way I had gone, but I was quite sure that some steps were redundant:)

I'm just glad you were successful, I knew there had to be a way to do it!
I'll try installing it onto the hard drive maybe tonight, it'll be a triple boot setup with win 7 and 10 though so I may try and find a different old computer to try instead to save the head ache...

primod808

Mar 5, 2011
TOYOHASHI
Google Pixel 3a
I have fyde os on USB working but my issue is full install on my laptop is using EMMC storage and when installing it aborts at the end. What are the commands to install on EMMC drive? Thanks again.

Tiggi2017

Mar 28, 2017
Hello. Thank you very much for these instructions.

But i got stuck at this point

"After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it."

I can't delete these apps because they seem to be installed with enterprise policies. Can someone help please?:silly:

Tiggi2017

Mar 28, 2017
Ah... I did a powerwash and logged in with my Google account. I could then delete the fydeos extensions

primod808

Mar 5, 2011
TOYOHASHI
Google Pixel 3a
Ok feeling stupid I did his before but now I'm having trouble putting the commands. Stuck after incognito enabled secondary account sync flag then it ask to reboot browser. Not the computer reboot but chrome browser reboot but it doesn't prompt me to login to my Google account. Went back to she'll mount remount to try again but get this. After cd etc/chromium/policies/managed hit enter add sudo rm *.* It say cannot remove no such file found. When i did it the first time I can get to the vim part I commented last 2 lines and added the Google enabled line then i :wq to save and quit. Do suppose save and quit right or does it save automatically?

Attachments

• 20181203_100239.jpg
    20181203_100239.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 3,077
Ok feeling stupid I did his before but now I'm having trouble putting the commands. Stuck after incognito enabled secondary account sync flag then it ask to reboot browser. Not the computer reboot but chrome browser reboot but it doesn't prompt me to login to my Google account. Went back to she'll mount remount to try again but get this. After cd etc/chromium/policies/managed hit enter add sudo rm *.* It say cannot remove no such file found. When i did it the first time I can get to the vim part I commented last 2 lines and added the Google enabled line then i :wq to save and quit. Do suppose save and quit right or does it save automatically?

The file is removed which is why it can't find it. wq saves and quits the editor so that's ready. Try a full reboot and see if adding a new account goes through Google now instead of fyde servers.

primod808

Mar 5, 2011
TOYOHASHI
Google Pixel 3a
[

you'll have to mount the drive as read and write again then apply changes.
shell
sudo su (enter your pw)
Then edit the conf file
cd /etc
sudo vim chrome_dev.conf
Strange I always do that but it never keeps my changes every time I check to see if my changes applied it never saves it. In the instructions op it didn't say to save I use :wq close tab and go to chrome://flags enabled secondary account let it reboot also did full system reboot and still doesn't prompt me for my Google account. Check again in vim and I always see that my changes never is saved.

Strange I always do that but it never keeps my changes every time I check to see if my changes applied it never saves it. In the instructions op it didn't say to save I use :wq close tab and go to chrome://flags enabled secondary account let it reboot also did full system reboot and still doesn't prompt me for my Google account. Check again in vim and I always see that my changes never is saved.
It is weird!
Try saving the file with :w before quitting with :q to see if there are errors shown

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been using it in surface 7 specific for 2 weeks..

Works fine except

1. Cannot login with PIN..must use google password
    2. Once i use my SP7 till empty battery..and voila..once i entered fydeos gapps error and must install from beginning

The rest is okay..battery is good not best as i expected..

then use this commands

shell
    sudo su

sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

#--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

and switch it on.

Then reboot and you’ll be able to add a secondary account, then you'll be prompted to insert your google account.

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented, and reboot...

Then you can use the app provided by FydeOs to install the Play store. This step will remove the google sync and you won’t see google drive inside the file manager.

Now you can comment those lines again and reboot and everything will be fine i.e. google sync will be back.

After rebooting, you can go to chromium extensions and remove the FydeOs extension (the one which sends your data to their servers) and you can go to the shelf and remove the installer with the chinese name, by simply clicking it.

Now you can use the secondary account, which is fully working and syncing to google servers (only) and forget about the other one (i.e. the FydeOs one).

I tested these steps once only and maybe not all of them were required, but my device has been working fine for 3 days straight without any issue.
    While this is still fresh I wanted to clear these instructions up for anyone who builds the fydeOS USB and wants to avoid creating a fydeOS account.

SO here goes
    When your at the fydeOS login screen, notice you cant enter guest mode, so you have to hit ctrl+alt+f2.

Youl get to a fydeOS command line again asking for login and password but they are chronos + chronos for both password and login.

The guide then picks up where lucaoldb left off

then use this commands

sudo su

sudo rm *.*

Then edit the conf file

cd /etc
    sudo vim chrome_dev.conf

#--fydemina
    --google-account-enabled

THIS IS THE LAST STEP YOU can complete from the command line, simply issue a reboot and boot back to the USB and wa-la google login. Now you can complete the final step once you login with google account.

and switch it on.

To install the play store you have got to edit chrome_dev.conf, by uncommenting the lines which you had previously commented out above. Details below:
    1. sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    2. sudo vim chrome_dev.conf
    3. remove # comments
    4. :wq
    5. :shell
    6. reboot

THAT'S IT
    I compiled more detailed guide by using this tread as well as this XDA tread and of course www.google.com
    1. download the image from https://fydeos.com/download
    2. create USB in rufus https://rufus.ie
    follow steps 3-5 if UEFI boot doesnt work (black screen, or stuck on booting message)
    3. set BIOS in legacy boot, quick boot disabled
    4. use VGA output (or another secondary output if available)
    5. boot USB in legacy mode
    to install to HDD follow 7-11
    7. ctrl + alt + F2 after the system logo to enter console
    8. chronos #to log in
    9. /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst /dev/YOURDRIVEHERE (sda) #to run instalation script
    10. sudo reboot
    11. boot from HDD
    12. ctrl + alt + F2 to enter console
    13. sudo su
    14. sudo mount -o remount, rw /
    15. cd /etc/chromium/policies/managed
    16. sudo rm *
    17. sudo vim /etc/chrome_dev.conf #make sure you type correctly, otherwise you'll open a new text file
    18. comment the lines: (google how to use VIM editor for instructions-> i to edit, esc to stop, del to delete, :wq! to save and exit)
    # — fydeos-account-enabled
    # — fydemina
    19. add lines, save and close:
    –google-account-enabled
    –sync-support-secondary-account
    #this and the next line can be changed by typing chrome://flags in browser and changing to enabled
    –arc-vpn
    20. sudo reboot
    21. login with google account
    22. click on android settings app and confirm the prompt
    23. sideload Device ID app https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939830832
    24. copy-paste your GSF ID to this page https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/
    25. ctrl+alt+T
    26. shell
    27. repeat steps 13, 14, 17
    28. uncomment the lines in step 18
    29. repeat step 20
    30. login and start android app (play store) setup (if still showing an error give it 5-10 min and log in then)
    31. repeat steps 25-27
    32. repeat step 18 and 20
    33. login, remove fydeoos extensions from the browser if you wish
    enjoy your chrome/android OS :)
    hi there,
    first of all a huge thanks for the elaborated guide
    now coming to the short version of your guide, i tried your guide many a times and i found that we should just create a usb for the installer of fydeos then install it straightaway by using the install command in the terminal by that ctrl+alt+F2 method, its in english only. ( no need to first creating fydeos account and logging in to open chrosh)
    On first boot from hdd we should open the terminal with the above key combo( ctrl+alt+F2 ),
    then just do the steps you have written till inserting # before those fyde lines( as u wrote the google enable line is not needed)
    after the changes are done to the conf file just save and reboot(shutdown and again start)
    viola, you will be presented with google login screen , do the login and after getting to homescreen we need to again open that conf file and remove the #(hashes)
    just reboot again and playstore will be enabled.
    so the trick is to add hashes and then removing them after setting up the account to enable playstore.

for first timers-------- in vim scroll down to the fyde lines and just click i(to enable insert mode) and insert # then press esc to exit insert mode go down to second line of fyde and again click i then insert #, after that press esc and type :wq and press enter, changes will be saved.
    to remove the hash(#) for enabling playstore when in vim scroll down to the hash and click x then type :wq and its done.

OP Thankyou so much, i am using fydeos now on main laptop for gaming, editing, media playback and internet browsing .
    Fyde OS and Arnoldthebat - a look at the differences

I haven't tinkered with FydeOS for months, due to my job and my family.

My how-to was a very quick one and I knew that it could work for the old release of FydeOS that you could download by that time, but when I tested the following ones I faced the same issues that had been so far reported by the other users.

As a lawyer I don't feel like making deep modifications to the img that FydeOS let us download or, to be more straight, I don't feel like sharing any modded file or img, but I still like modding thing, when I have some spare time.

Anyway I have had a look at FydeOS img in comparison to the one by Arnoldthebat ad the main difference in inside the folder "ROOT-A.img\opt\google\containers"

In fact, while inside the one by Arnoldthebat you can find only the sub folder "pins" which only refers to Crostini, inside FydeOS img you have gor plenty of files referring to android, which are inside the subfolders

android
    arc-sdcard
    arc-obb-mounter
    arc-art

I will have a look a the "real" chrome OS img to see if those files are there too (edit: yes, they are in the same position) but I suppose that it shouldn't be that difficult, after mounting the img in linux, either ripping those files from FydeOS and placing them into Arnoldthebat's img or doing the opposite. Then there must be only some config files to look at. Maybe it's the same approach as project Croissant, but I haven't had the time to dig into it yet.

Edit: after looking at chrome OS internals, I seem to understand that:

- android subsystem is there by default for Chrome OS and it's the same for Fyde OS;

- it just waits for being enabled in settings and that step downloads the play store too for chrome OS, while for FydeOS it downloads a sort of modded play store, if I'm not wrong;

- a reasonable approach, in order to avoid the project croissant route which could not work for some device, would be placing inside Arnoldthebat's img not only the android subsystem folders in /opt/containers but also placing the Gapps too, so as for android phones and this should make the trick... Maybe.