VPN Install question (android & chrome os)

Search This thread

svntsvn

Can anyone advise on a good product and installation method that would protect me system wide using both android apps/chrome apps? For example, if I installed a vpn product through the play store, would it only provide security only in that "sandboxed" android app environment? Or installed to chrome OS, could it provide better security for the whole ecosystem?

I'm using an asus chromebook flip, on stable regular build (54). Thanks

Jacobwitt

Jun 13, 2015
Saint Louis
So, I Also have a flip, and I've noticed that when using a VPN like Tor It will only cover android apps, so I'd use Tor and Firefox together to have a VPN'd web browser.
VPN's from Android Only cover android apps,
VPNS from Chrome only cover Chrome.

2x4

Oct 20, 2012
Austin, TX
i was thinking about this myself, since i have a VPN client as a chrome extension. I will enable it and install an android app to test and see if the VPN is working for both

beetroot

Jan 28, 2011
I have to use PIA VPN app for Chrome, and install PIA for Android in Android from the Play store. One does not 'cover' the other. Equally, the Afwall app will only affect Android apps installed.

Last edited:

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I use TunnelBear. The Chrome extension only affects Chrome tabs. The Android app seems to affect all apps, including Chrome. I tested by checking my IP address in Chrome and in an Android browser.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk