Use External Wired Mic for audio input and Bluetooth speaker for audio out

Search This thread

HyperEscape

Apr 13, 2011
Hello,

As per the subject matter, I read about how to use Google Assistant on an android mobile/tablet instead of a separate smart speaker (Google Home/Mini). The functionality would be more or less similar with some exceptions with both the options. (comparisons are available around on different sites). Dont want to use the internal device mic/speaker, so looking for options for hooking up external mic/speakers.

1. [1]I was thinking of a setup to have an external wired mic hooked up to the tablet as being more sensitive to capture a wide area. I know I have to use a TRS to TRRS adapter to be able to hook up only a mic to the headphone jack on any standard android device. I believe android would still detect it as a headset (with microphone and speakers). I have an Audio-Technica ATR-4697 boundary mic which I intend to use for the purpose.

[2]For the audio output I am thinking of hooking up a Bluetooth speaker (always connected on charging) making it sort of a DIY smart speaker.

Can someone please inform if they have done a similar setup and how successful was it , and what are the main problems and not working functions.

One problem I can foresee is that due to point no.1 , the android will try to route the audio via the headphone jack, which would only have a mic connected.

I believe this can be forcefully redirected using the SoundAbout app, will it work.

Or else I can try to get a Y Splitter cable hooked to the headphone jack and connect both a wired mic and a wired AUX in speaker for the purpose. Not sure whether the Y splitter cable would have the same TRRS 3.5mm comaptible pin to hook up to the mobile head jack.

Any thoughts, guidance, product links would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HyperEscape

Apr 13, 2011
Hmm...no noise as such...maybe i would try myself and would post the results. In the process of gathering stuff and hunting time slot to get at it.