FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Discussion] [MODULAR] Smartphones _ ARA vs. NEXPAQ _ Which Technology Will Prevail?

7,448 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,583

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

Modular hardware like Google's "Project ARA"and other concepts
shall open up an entirely new chapter in history of "Mobile Computing" !

While google's own project for android will be device and OS locked, whle cross-OS & cross-device capabilities
are just 2 of many qualities which, each one of them, will eventually take other, similar technologies, beyond project ARA !
Should you have any qestions, don't hesitate to discuss it here, that's what this thread has been opened for after all. enjoy !

"NEXPAQ" Concept & Device Layout

the real thing 1

modules available now

collection of parts

currently available colors

just looking nice haha...

another view

"Project ARA" Device Layout

Project ARA device layout

As and android user don't feel offended by this picture hehe...
just think about how important the following will be for the millions who come to android from iOS LOL

cross-platform sample

Click Here To Watch Another Video On Facebook !

AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING…...

It's important that an open platform can be built !

So *you* can dream up module ideas and developers will make them a reality!

G+ Community

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to magnamentis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnamentis Ad-Free

2nd May 2015, 09:36 PM |#2  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 2,932

More
Very interesting.

from my Bacon-wrapped Lolli(Bliss)pop 5.1.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purerawenergy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Purerawenergy Ad-Free
2nd May 2015, 09:57 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Al-Ándalus

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purerawenergy

Very interesting.

from my Bacon-wrapped Lolli(Bliss)pop 5.1.1

yes, already dreaming about a tripple or more SIM highend phone haha.... just curious how they gonne deal with apple since apple does not allow apps in their playstore which allow for expanded memory ( external sd-card ) what i like the most is that as it seems this will hit the market long before google ara which swallowed hundreds of millions already and then it's hot-swap / hot-plug capable. i'll keep track of this very carefully because i smell something good glad you liked it however.
The Following User Says Thank You to magnamentis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnamentis Ad-Free
4th May 2015, 03:13 PM |#4  
XDA
Thanks Meter: 246

More
How is this going to be better than Project ARA?

I will have to buy a phone and then buy the separate modular case to extend my phone's capabilities?
And the company will have to create a different case for every phone there is..
I hope this project works, but in my opinion it won't. The theory is impractical.
Why not buy a modular phone instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to t3al For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t3al Ad-Free
4th May 2015, 07:39 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,342

Donate to Me
More
Very cool. Gimme gimme. Lol thanks for the heads up!

TaPpEd FrOm My KiLlEr WhAlE
The Following User Says Thank You to jrbxx7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrbxx7 Ad-Free
6th May 2015, 10:12 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Al-Ándalus

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3al

How is this going to be better than Project ARA?

I will have to buy a phone and then buy the separate modular case to extend my phone's capabilities?
And the company will have to create a different case for every phone there is..
I hope this project works, but in my opinion it won't. The theory is impractical.
Why not buy a modular phone instead?

that's an easy one:

a) ara phone will cost more than let's say a standard flaghips + nexpaq

b) you will be able to use the modules on your next phone again, including data on sdcard etc.

c) you will have a large choice of phones instead of a choice between one or two ara phones

d) you can change the OS, you can change the platform, you can change the brand and still get your preferred configuration and features

e) you will be able to hotplug without reboot

and much more and the fact that there will be a case per phone is not a disadvantage for the user, at least you have the choice which
otherwise or now you don't have, you can even get a cheaper phone mostly half the price with slightly weaker specs and make up for
it with modules while a module will cost between 14 and 20 bucks. example would be storage, but can be gpu, cpu, second sim, better camera
all much more expensive in highend phones than as a module. further you can take case and module off and still have the phone as is, so you never loose anything but gain what is wanted or needed.

thanks for the feedback, critical questions provide opportunities for answers and help to initiate the discussion
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magnamentis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnamentis Ad-Free
24th May 2015, 03:19 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Al-Ándalus

More
G+ Community link added to the OP for those who prefer G+ to discuss nexpaq

thanks all for the many views in such a short time. wish everyone would comment his opionion, suggestions and doubts to start a bit of a more vivid discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to magnamentis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnamentis Ad-Free
24th May 2015, 03:26 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamentis

G+ Community link added to the OP for those who prefer G+ to discuss nexpaq

thanks all for the many views in such a short time. wish everyone would comment his opionion, suggestions and doubts to start a bit of a more vivid discussion.

count me in

quite a while to wait for sales to start but will watch out
31st May 2015, 07:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

link added to the OP for those who prefer G+ to discuss nexpaq

they just ended their kickstarter campaign with around 500% over the target, so chances are not bad that this is really is going ot happen, especially considering the video in the OP where it is obviously working quite well already, just wondering that people in this forum don't jump on this in masses, probably still a lot of mainstreamers with little foresight around LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to cocorca For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cocorca Ad-Free
3rd June 2015, 02:06 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Al-Ándalus

More
hi all !

this page has seen over 2000 views but there has no significant discussion started on the topic.

let me know what keeps you from commenting, asking and suggesting? is it so well done that no open questions remain ( just kidding, not possible )
or is it too theoretical and/or far away, then watch the videos about ARA and about Nexpaq on the web. it's real and it's happening. be amongst the first who come op with wishes, doubts and hopes for this kind of technology, now it's the best time to take influence on basic decisions like available modules and/or devices, depending. brake it loose folks, now is the right time
3rd June 2015, 04:05 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,342

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

hi all !

this page has seen over 2000 views but there has no significant discussion started on the topic.

let me know what keeps you from commenting, asking and suggesting? is it so well done that no open questions remain ( just kidding, not possible )
or is it too theoretical and/or far away, then watch the videos about ARA and about Nexpaq on the web. it's real and it's happening. be amongst the first who come op with wishes, doubts and hopes for this kind of technology, now it's the best time to take influence on basic decisions like available modules and/or devices, depending. brake it loose folks, now is the right time

Bought my first module. Can't wait till fall! Looking forward to what nexpaq will bring. Hopefully they release a nexus case!

TaPpEd FrOm My HeLlIsHlY eUpHoRic N-sIx
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ara, google, modules, smartcase, tags : modular

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)