FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DISCUSSION][7th Gen] Root progress for Fire HD 8

523 posts
Thanks Meter: 272

By Supersonic27543, Senior Member on 31st January 2018, 10:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATE: HARDWARE ROOT IS ACQUIRED! THIS THREAD WILL NOW FOCUS ON SOFTWARE ROOT AND BOOTLOADER UNLOCK:

Hi,

Now, I'm sick of Amazon's bloat slowing my tablet, and the frustration of not being able to use root apps. Fire HD 10 got rooted, but HD 8 and HD 7 are still in dark. HD 7 users can at least downgrade their devices and hope for a root exploit, but HD 8 users can't. If anyone else wanting to root this tablet and make it super fast, get rid of Fire Launcher, use Xposed, remove bloat, etc., let's collaborate with this!

LATEST RELEASE - Fire OS 5.3.6.4/Fire OS 5.6.3.4
SECURITY PATCH - ???
KERNEL VERSION - 3.18.19

List of possible software root methods:
1.) eMMC overwriting
Thanks to the hardware root method, we have a full eMMC dump so using the loophole in the flash unlock process which causes overwriting partitions next to it, we could overwrite on all the way, flashing original things, to the system partition and then flash a modified system partition.
Additions to the list are welcome!
List of possible exploits
Additions to list are welcome!
1.)CVE-2017-8890
Description: As I think, this is the most exploitable currently. Running the PoC results in 'somewhat unnatural' Use-After-Free s but the PoC fails to orient them to escalate privileges.
Cons: This exploit is based on obsolete IPv4 sockets, unlike it's cousin CVE-2017-9077, which is based on IPv6, but rather the same exploitation as this. That 'may' make this harder to exploit, but of course there's no evidence.
I, really only added this to cons because you should have a con.
2.)CVE-2017-15868
Description: NP Hardass said that this vulnerability is present on the source,I haven't explored it yet.
Cons: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you tried these exploits, please notify me in below and I'll update the status.
UPDATE: No point on keeping on trying these kernel exploits as no one (please correct me) who knows to write exploits in C comes here anymore. If someone wants to try though I will start maintaining this list again. Come on, let's collaborate on this!!!

Thanks!

Download the eMMC dump from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=282721
PS: You can download original kernel sources from Amazon, just search for it.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Supersonic27543 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Supersonic27543 Ad-Free

31st January 2018, 10:11 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Reserved
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supersonic27543 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Supersonic27543 Ad-Free
31st January 2018, 02:26 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I added the link to the vulnerable code, in case anyone was wondering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supersonic27543 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Supersonic27543 Ad-Free
31st January 2018, 06:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm glad to see this thread. Since recently rediscovering the potential of an old Fire 6 and rooting it, removing the bloat and Googlizing it, I wanted to get something a little bigger. I just got my 7th gen HD 8 in the mail yesterday and was devastated to see it was 5.4.0.1. I've blocked OTA, deleted the update it had downloaded, installed Google Play et al., and used NoRoot Data Firewall to block all Amazon apps. Unfortunately, I do not have the expertise to contribute much toward an effort to root this device but would like to help in any way. I appreciate seeing others are out there working on it.
31st January 2018, 07:43 PM |#5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 254

More
if i knew how to develop the exploits i would honestly try these
1st February 2018, 12:00 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Thank you so much for making this thread but I hope I never have to come back here and help, but if i get some extra time in the future I do plan on running all my binaries + servers on the tablet as well. Not to mention just looking at that version number made me want to vomit.
1st February 2018, 01:20 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
[/COLOR]What steps should I take to increase performance on the hd 8 while we wait for root?
1st February 2018, 06:24 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfullz

[/COLOR]What steps should I take to increase performance on the hd 8 while we wait for root?

Hello rawfullz!
Try Greenify. You can use a workaround to grant it Usage Access.
1) Download Activity Launcher and Greenify from Play Store.
2) Launch Activity Launcher.
3) Notice the "Recent" text in the task-bar, press it, and select "All" from the drop-down list.
4) Scroll all the way below until you find "Settings", and press it.
5) Again, scroll below until you find "Apps with usage access", and press it.
6) The hidden "Apps with usage access" menu will pop up.
7) Grant Greenify usage access there. (You can turn off usage access for all Amazon apps if you want, to increase performance but it's recommended to leave out "Storage Management" intact, just in case.)
8) Launch Greenify, and continue with the setup.
9)

If you ever want to grant any other app Usage Access, do this procedure, but, remember that "Activity Launcher" is kind of dangerous, if you just launch random activities. I learned that the hard way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Supersonic27543 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Supersonic27543 Ad-Free
1st February 2018, 06:33 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
REMOVED
1st February 2018, 07:46 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Thank you for making this thread, im looking forward to this become real.
1st February 2018, 07:52 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
What I dont get is you can download the firmware.bin as well as the source code from amazon, Whats the problem devs should be able to root ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)