FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fire HD 8, 2018 (8th gen.)

99 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By DKXC, Member on 5th October 2018, 01:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So the new Fire HD 8 came out and I bought it yesterday, came today. Interestingly it runs now Android 7 (FireOS 6) which is cool. Would be nice to see root or something for this some day but maybe they patched the rest of the stuff from what I saw on the Fire 7, 5th gen. (ADB commands to disable or uninstall stuff). Didn't try it out yet.

Well, performance is okay, but the RAM is for some reason about 60 to 70% full all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKXC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DKXC Ad-Free

5th October 2018, 08:37 PM |#2  
Flag Over The Rainbow
Thanks Meter: 147

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKXC

So the new Fire HD 8 came out and I bought it yesterday, came today. Interestingly it runs now Android 7 (FireOS 6) which is cool. Would be nice to see root or something for this some day but maybe they patched the rest of the stuff from what I saw on the Fire 7, 5th gen. (ADB commands to disable or uninstall stuff). Didn't try it out yet.

Well, performance is okay, but the RAM is for some reason about 60 to 70% full all the time.

Been thinking about buying one like yours, but was wondering if the directions to install Google Play Store still works.
Did you install it?

I imagine all the ram being used like that is the Amazon stuff that is pre-installed.

Thanks
6th October 2018, 12:18 AM |#3  
Flag San Luis Obispo
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozer854

Been thinking about buying one like yours, but was wondering if the directions to install Google Play Store still works.
Did you install it?

I imagine all the ram being used like that is the Amazon stuff that is pre-installed.

Thanks

I'm curious about the Google play store install method too.

And it has to be all the Amazon stuff using up all the ram, I agree. That's usually the culprit when ya got a fresh install of stock firmware on there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
6th October 2018, 01:28 AM |#4  
Flag Castries
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Does anyone know if the previous generation (Fire HD 8 7gen) Will receive fire os 6?

Thanks
6th October 2018, 07:57 AM |#5  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerhole

I'm curious about the Google play store install method too.

Hello,
I have the new Fire HD 8 since thursday and could easily install the playstore following this method.
I would have liked to change the default launcher to Apex launcher, but LauncherHijack unfortunately does not seem to work on the 8th gen (yet)...

6th October 2018, 08:04 AM |#6  
Flag Castries

More
Could someone attach a few screenshots of the new stuff on fire os 6?

Thanks
6th October 2018, 08:41 AM |#7  
Flag Paris

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @pops

Could someone attach a few screenshots of the new stuff on fire os 6?

I can, but I don't know exactly what is the new stuff in Fire OS 6, since it's my first Fire tablet. But let me know which screenshot you'd like to see...

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Correction : I am not authorized to send pictures now.

Quote:

The following errors occurred with your submission:

To prevent spam on the XDA forums, ALL new users prevented from posting outside links in their messages. After approximately 10 posts, you will be able to post outside links. Thank you for understanding!

Anyway here are 2 links

the.koala.free.fr/firehd8a.png
the.koala.free.fr/firehd8b.png
The Following User Says Thank You to LPParis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LPParis Ad-Free
6th October 2018, 12:02 PM |#8  
Flag Castries

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPParis

I can, but I don't know exactly what is the new stuff in Fire OS 6, since it's my first Fire tablet. But let me know which screenshot you'd like to see...

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Correction : I am not authorized to send pictures now.

Anyway here are 2 links

the.koala.free.fr/firehd8a.png
the.koala.free.fr/firehd8b.png

Thanks for the photos. I mainly wanted to see what changed on the settings app and also the notification bar.

Thanks again
6th October 2018, 01:28 PM |#9  
Flag Paris

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @pops

I mainly wanted to see what changed on the settings app and also the notification bar.

I changed the language to English in the screenshots below :
the.koala.free.fr/notifs.png
the.koala.free.fr/settings2.png
the.koala.free.fr/settings1.png
The Following User Says Thank You to LPParis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LPParis Ad-Free
6th October 2018, 02:21 PM |#10  
Flag San Luis Obispo
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:

Hello,
I have the new Fire HD 8 since thursday and could easily install the playstore following this method.

Oh awesome just installing the 4 apks still works. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
6th October 2018, 02:44 PM |#11  
Flag Castries

More
Quote:

I changed the language to English in the screenshots below :
the.koala.free.fr/notifs.png
the.koala.free.fr/settings2.png
the.koala.free.fr/settings1.png

Thanks for the screenshots. 👍🏽