Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Debloating and More (Fire HD 8)

62 posts
Thanks Meter: 43

By delessio100, Member on 5th February 2019, 01:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is for the Fire HD 8 8th generation rooted with xyz's exploit
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...-root-t3894256

I've seen a couple people run into problems with this so rather than have xyz's thread clogged I figured I'd
make a seperate thread just for this.

I've made an update to the debloat.zip so it can be flashed at any time rather than flashing after rooting
[seperate zip instead of a modifed finalize.zip ]

==Debloating==
DISCLAIMER : Per testing and input from other members, Amazon Apps will NOT be able to be reinstalled after flashing this. I've yet to figure out if this is a direct result of this script or due to the nature of xyz's exploit, either way
after rooting, do NOT expect to be able to use Amazon Apps (defeat's the purpose of this script anyways lol)

1. Download debloat.zip from here
2. Reboot to TWRP, and flash
3. Reboot to system and say goodbye to Amazon Bloatware

==Replacing FireLauncher==

1. Install a launcher of your choice (Tested with CPL and Nova Launcher)
2. Install Terminal Emulator
3. Run 'su' from terminal emulator and grant it root permissions, then type 'pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher'
4. Press the home button and your new launcher is ready to go !

Thanks to xyz for the amazing work
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delessio100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift delessio100 Ad-Free

5th February 2019, 05:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by delessio100

This is for the Fire HD 8 8th generation rooted with xyz's exploit
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...-root-t3894256

I've seen a couple people run into problems with this so rather than have xyz's thread clogged I figured I'd
make a seperate thread just for this.

I've made an update to the debloat.zip so it can be flashed at any time rather than flashing after rooting
[seperate zip instead of a modifed finalize.zip ]

==Debloating==

1. Download debloat.zip from here
2. Reboot to TWRP, and flash
3. Reboot to system and say goodbye to Amazon Bloatware

==Replacing FireLauncher==

1. Install a launcher of your choice (Tested with CPL and Nova Launcher)
2. Install Terminal Emulator
3. Run 'su' from terminal emulator and grant it root permissions, then type 'pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher'
4. Press the home button and your new launcher is ready to go !

Thanks to xyz for the amazing work

Thanks for this! Will flashing this debloat.zip allow me to install and use the Amazon Prime Video or the Alexa app from the Playstore later on or will it stop the app from working?
5th February 2019, 11:28 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryknow27

Thanks for this! Will flashing this debloat.zip allow me to install and use the Amazon Prime Video or the Alexa app from the Playstore later on or will it stop the app from working?

Per my testing, the Play Store version of Amazon Apps are working (I've tested Alexa, Prime Video, and the Kindle App so far), so yes you should be able to
The Following User Says Thank You to delessio100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift delessio100 Ad-Free
5th February 2019, 03:49 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

Per my testing, the Play Store version of Amazon Apps are working (I've tested Alexa, Prime Video, and the Kindle App so far), so yes you should be able to

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote:

Sorry, one more question. When you tested the Amazon apps, did you also previously install the finalize.zip?
5th February 2019, 03:54 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Sorry, one more question. When you tested the Amazon apps, did you also previously install the finalize.zip?

Yes, xyz's finalize.zip only removes system apps related to OTA updates, so it prevents accidental / forced OTA updates from overwriting things modified by the exploit
The Following User Says Thank You to delessio100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift delessio100 Ad-Free
5th February 2019, 04:05 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

Yes, xyz's finalize.zip only removes system apps related to OTA updates, so it prevents accidental / forced OTA updates from overwriting things modified by the exploit

Thank you
5th February 2019, 07:13 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

I followed the instructions for Tailborn form your post on xyz's thread except for installing Root Essentials and then followed the instructions from this thread and after installing several Amazon apps, they start to open and then force close. I could be wrong but I think it may be due to the finalize.zip because after the first time I successfully rooted with xyz's method it did the same thing. Since it works for you, do you know if you did anything different than what I did?
5th February 2019, 07:25 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:

I followed the instructions for Tailborn form your post on xyz's thread except for installing Root Essentials and then followed the instructions from this thread and after installing several Amazon apps, they start to open and then force close. I could be wrong but I think it may be due to the finalize.zip because after the first time I successfully rooted with xyz's method it did the same thing. Since it works for you, do you know if you did anything different than what I did?

What apps specifically aren't working ? I've only tested the Kindle App, Alexa, and Prime Video. Are these giving you errors? I haven't fully tested all Amazon apps as I don't really use them but if you can give me a list of the apps that aren't functional I can take a look when I get home. If you'd prefer I can modify my debloat script to not remove the Amazon apps you want to keep Also if you could provide a logcat from one of the apps that's crashing I can try to determine what's causing the crash. The instructions I provided for Tailborn were just to fix the error with his SD card
5th February 2019, 07:55 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

What apps specifically aren't working ? I've only tested the Kindle App, Alexa, and Prime Video. Are these giving you errors? I haven't fully tested all Amazon apps as I don't really use them but if you can give me a list of the apps that aren't functional I can take a look when I get home. If you'd prefer I can modify my debloat script to not remove the Amazon apps you want to keep Also if you could provide a logcat from one of the apps that's crashing I can try to determine what's causing the crash. The instructions I provided for Tailborn were just to fix the error with his SD card

Yes I did see that your instructions were to help him with his SD card issue. I was basically just using it as a guide to start over except for anything to do with the SD card since I didn't have that issue.

The main apps I'm wanting to work that I'm having an issue with is Alexa and Amazon prime video. It will be a little bit before I can attach a logcat. I've never created one before but it should not be that hard to figure out and I'm on my way to work right now.
5th February 2019, 08:01 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:

Yes I did see that your instructions were to help him with his SD card issue. I was basically just using it as a guide to start over except for anything to do with the SD card since I didn't have that issue.

The main apps I'm wanting to work that I'm having an issue with is Alexa and Amazon prime video. It will be a little bit before I can attach a logcat. I've never created one before but it should not be that hard to figure out and I'm on my way to work right now.

I'm on my way home from college (on the bus ) so I can guide you through it when I get home. Alexa worked without errors for me so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you but I'm sure we'll get it sorted it out soon

Getting Logcat (assuming you're on windows and running command prompt on the desktop)

1. Connect the kindle to your computer, run adb logcat -c (clears logcat)
2. Run adb logcat | findstr "com.amazon.dee.app" > logcat.txt (This will store the logcat for the Alexa app to a text file on your desktop)
3. Go back to your kindle, open the Alexa App and wait for it to crash
4. After it crashes, hit CTRL + C in command prompt (stops logging)
5. Copy and paste logcat.txt and send it in your reply

This will help me figure out what's causing the crash and from here I'll be able to fix it
5th February 2019, 08:17 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

I'm on my way home from college (on the bus ) so I can guide you through it when I get home. Alexa worked without errors for me so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you but I'm sure we'll get it sorted it out soon

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)