FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Sideloading Google Apps - 100% WORKING! (ROOT)

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

Post Reply Email Thread
I've finally managed to destroy all of the Google glitches on Fire OS after much troubleshooting and many factory resets. This guide will show you how to permanently fix the following issues:
  • Gmail closing after right after opening
  • Google Contacts not pulling your contacts
  • Google Calendar not pulling your calendar
This requires some patience.

Reported Bugs:
  • Gmail crashes when opening an attachment in an email and some users are speculating it's the Amazon Download Manager causing the crash. I'm looking into it.
Requirements:
  • Root (This easy guide shows you how to root your 7th generation Fire HD)
  • Fire OS 5.6.0.0
  • Fire HD (2017)
  • ADB (Optional, this 'Lite' package is officially provided by Google)
  • Basic knowledge of ADB commands
Downloads:Step 1: Enable install of "Apps from Unknown Sources":
  • Go to Settings > Security and enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”. This will allow you to sideload the Google APKs that you'll need in order to install the Google Play store onto your Fire HD.
Step 2: Download and install these APKs in sequence: (I've included their package names below so they are easier to locate in the Fire HD Docs app!)
  1. Google Account Manager - com.google.android.gsf.login
  2. Google Services Framework - com.google.android.gsf
  3. Google Play Services - com.google.android.gms
  4. Google Play Store - com.android.vending
  5. Google Calendar Sync - com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar_5.2.3-99827563-release-2015080710_minAPI15(nodpi)
  6. Google Contacts Sync - com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts_5.1.1-1965118-22_minAPI22(nodpi)_apkmirror.com
Step 3: Setting up Google Play & downloading applications:
  1. Open Google Play Store and login to your Google account
  2. Download all of your Google applications like Gmail, Gboard, Calendar, Contacts, Photos, Rewards, and etc.
  3. Don't setup Gmail just yet
  4. Make Gboard your default keyboard by disabling Fire Standard Keyboard - adb shell pm disable com.amazon.redstone
  5. Download Link2SD
  6. Download Titanium Backup
Step 4: Extra Gmail steps: (This is temporary until the crashing bug has been eliminated)
  • Open Gmail but don't do anything else yet
  • Set Fire HD to "Airplane mode" or just disconnect from wireless
  • Now go to your Gmail Settings
  • Choose your Gmail account in the next page
  • Scroll down to Data Usage and uncheck "Download attachments"
  • Set Days of mail to sync to 10 days
Step 5: Avoid any bootloops by eliminating this potential roadblock with Titanium Backup or ADB:
Code:
adb shell pm disable com.amazon.redstone
Step 6: Now you're going to need to free up some space within the /system partition. Remove these applications via Titanium Backup or ADB:
  • Kindle Special Offers - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.kindle.kso
  • Kid's Silk Web Browser - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.cloud9.kids
  • Fire Keyboard (Asian) - adb shell pm uninstall jp.co.omronsoft.iwnnime.mlaz
  • Calendar - adb shell pm uninstall com.android.calendar
  • Contacts - adb shell pm uninstall com.android.contacts
  • Fire Tutorial - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.kcp.tutorial
  • Fire Keyboard Simplified Chinese Pack - adb shell pm uninstall jp.co.omronsoft.iwnnime.languagepack.zhcn_az
  • Amazon Retail Demo - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.kor.demo
  • Home Screen Tips - adb shell pm uninstall com.android.protips
  • Music - adb shell pm uninstall com.android.music
  • My Videos - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.kindle.personal_video
  • Amazon Cloud Photos - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.photos
  • Weather - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.weather
  • Email - adb shell pm uninstall com.android.email
  • Amazon Cloud Photos Importer - adb shell pm uninstall com.amazon.photos.importer
  • Kingsoft Office Bullshit - adb shell pm uninstall com.kingsoft.office.amz
Step 7: Open up Link2SD and go to User Applications. Convert the following apps into system apps:
  • Google
  • Google Play Store
  • Google Contacts
  • Google Contacts Sync
  • Google Calendar Sync
Step 8: Last step:
  • Reboot through Link2SD or ADB. All Google apps should function normally afterwards.
Sources:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bakshi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bakshi Ad-Free

13th January 2018, 02:49 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can't download app from AppStore
I Can't download app from AppStore. My kindle show : There are no apps to install, since your administration hastn't made any available to you yet.
13th January 2018, 03:48 AM |#3  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Was so excited to see this but after doing this all to a T Gmail still crashes if I open on email with an attachment...
13th January 2018, 04:19 AM |#4  
Oh no!

I forgot to mention to disable the automatic download of attachments in Gmail and set the sync interval to 10 days. Make sure Gmail is force closed, data cleared and on airport mode when you do change the your Gmail account settings.

Let me know if that works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaiser47

Was so excited to see this but after doing this all to a T Gmail still crashes if I open on email with an attachment...

13th January 2018, 06:11 AM |#5  
Flag Washington, DC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakshi

Oh no!

I forgot to mention to disable the automatic download of attachments in Gmail and set the sync interval to 10 days. Make sure Gmail is force closed, data cleared and on airport mode when you do change the your Gmail account settings.

Thanks. But just tried all that and same issue. As soon as I open an email with an attachment, it crashes. Others have looked into this and it has something to do with Gmail not working with Amazon download manager I think.
13th January 2018, 05:15 PM |#6  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 2,774

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakshi

Oh no!

That's temporary, right? Just when making gmail system app?
13th January 2018, 10:13 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaiser47

Thanks. But just tried all that and same issue. As soon as I open an email with an attachment, it crashes. Others have looked into this and it has something to do with Gmail not working with Amazon download manager I think.

Quick question. What's is this "Amazon download manager" thing? Since Gmail is not working with Amazon download manager is there a chance to replace the Amazon download manager?
14th January 2018, 12:11 AM |#8  
That's what I'm thinking. It seems this download manager is the root of this mess. I'm going to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarcx

Quick question. What's is this "Amazon download manager" thing? Since Gmail is not working with Amazon download manager is there a chance to replace the Amazon download manager?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bakshi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bakshi Ad-Free
14th January 2018, 05:14 AM |#9  
Flag Washington, DC

More
Quote:

Don't know much beyond what I said. Just quoting what others have observed.
15th January 2018, 01:53 AM |#10  
Flag Bloomington, IN
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:

I believe I was one of the first noting this being the issue (but if not, it's not the point...). This was before I looked into how download managers worked and I thought we could just get another download manager from another device and replace it, or tweak some code, and make it work. Unfortunately I realized that download managers are very device specific with multiple dependencies. Getting another one to work will be as hard as coding one from the ground up. I don't think it'll be possible in the near future to go this route and make things work. I'll personally bet on us finding an exploit to unlock bootloader and get custom roms first before we can get another download manager working...
The Following User Says Thank You to wilburblin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wilburblin Ad-Free
7th February 2018, 10:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
This doesn't work for me:
4. Make Gboard your default keyboard by disabling Fire Standard Keyboard - adb shell pm disable com.amazon.redstone

also it's a little odd that further down the list there's this:

Step 5: Avoid any bootloops by eliminating this potential roadblock with Titanium Backup or ADB:
adb shell pm disable com.amazon.redstone

Why is it in there twice? Why would removing the kindle keyboard prevent bootloops?

When I try it, the display just flashes crazily until I enable it again!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amazon, fire hd, gmail, google, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)