HD 10 (2017): Xposed, FlashFire, etc.

Search This thread

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
May I inquire why you were using FF v0.24 ? What's wrong with the newer FF versions? Do they not work?
What's the reason to save an img for /system, instead of just reloading everything upon getting root?

Correct. I tried _every_ version of FF from v0.73 on down, and this is the one that worked. The more recent ones (v0.53+) don't even try to load; the earlier versions try to load but fail. Chainfire did mention in a post somewhere that v0.26 was a major update. Obviously, not the right kind of major for the 2017 HD 10.

When it comes to restoring /data, I trust FF more than TiBu or Backup+ (familiarity and better automation). To be able to do that, however, I need a working FF. For FF v0.24 to work, I need the PAH module in Xposed to trick the FF time bomb. If I have Xposed and FF installed in /system, I can just dd restore that image instead of manually installing Xposed, waiting a long time for it to load after reboot, installing FF, etc. With my current solution, I just need to install PAH after a dd /system restore (because FF doesn't like PAH in /system), and then use FF to restore /data.

Given the amount of time I have spent tuning this, I am now able to get my entire setup (custom /system and /data) up and running from a fresh adb sideload update.bin in less than 30 minutes.

I worry a lot about having to depend on Kingo to root because it's not an offline operation. Blocking updates puts Amz out of the picture, but Kingo needs Internet access to fetch its world-class scripts. I have tried all sorts of URL snooping and redirecting to capture Kingo's scripts/exploits, but without success.

Last edited:

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Correct. I tried _every_ version of FF from v0.73 on down, and this is the one that worked. The more recent ones (v0.53+) don't even try to load; the earlier versions try to load but fail. Chainfire did mention in a post somewhere that v0.26 was a major update. Obviously, not the right kind of major for the 2017 HD 10.

When it comes to restoring /data, I trust FF more than TiBu or Backup+ (familiarity and better automation). To be able to do that, however, I need a working FF. For FF v0.24 to work, I need the PAH module in Xposed to trick the FF time bomb. If I have Xposed and FF installed in /system, I can just dd restore that image instead of manually installing Xposed, waiting a long time for it to load after reboot, installing FF, etc. With my current solution, I just need to install PAH after a dd /system restore (because FF doesn't like PAH in /system), and then use FF to restore /data.

Given the amount of time I have spent tuning this, I am now able to get my entire setup (custom /system and /data) up and running from a fresh adb sideload update.bin in less than 30 minutes.

I worry a lot about having to depend on Kingo to root because it's not an offline operation. Blocking updates puts Amz out of the picture, but Kingo needs Internet access to fetch its world-class scripts. I have tried all sorts of URL snooping and redirecting to capture Kingo's scripts/exploits, but without success.

OK, thanks! I guess FF 0.24 Pro should work fine, without any time limits.

I am still not clear why Kingoroot is an issue - you just need to root once, and then you can daisy chain all updates by using a working copy of FF, each time redoing all the necessary zips, see this for details:
https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/howto-install-fireos-5-1-1-root-gapps-t3265594

This is handy for loading new Amazon ROMs, and preserving root.

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
OK, thanks! I guess FF 0.24 Pro should work fine, without any time limits.

I am still not clear why Kingoroot is an issue ...

Thanks. I don't think there's any difference between the Pro and the Free versions of FF at this time, so I'm not sure it will work without the date hack. If you find otherwise, please update here.

Won't Kingo be needed if the device is bricked for whatever reason (with the kind of experimentation I have been doing, this is a matter of when, not if) and adb sideload is called for?

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Thanks. I don't think there's any difference between the Pro and the Free versions of FF at this time, so I'm not sure it will work without the date hack. If you find otherwise, please update here.

Won't Kingo be needed if the device is bricked for whatever reason (with the kind of experimentation I have been doing, this is a matter of when, not if) and adb sideload is called for?

I think FF Pro version does not have a time bomb. Indeed, you could brick if FF misbehaves, but in reality, you already got through the bulk of it, there is not much left. The other screw ups might be fixable via root access in ADB (which you should have authorized already).

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
So, you never got FF to work as a system app? If it does, the only app to install after a dd restore will be PAH.
Were all the partitions backed up properly?

Hey, I got FF to work as a system app. Sorry I wasn't clear in my previous posts. I did the backups after rooting and making xposed, adaway, FF system apps. Then I set everything up the way I like it and made another backup, with PAH in DATA and google play store and other google apps in SYSTEM. For this latest backup, I used the exact settings you suggested (system, boot, recovery in the RAW, and DATA with max compression) and my system was just under 1GB and the data was 4gb. I haven't tried to restore the backups back, but I think they backed up properly. The process worked as you described and ended up completing. System .img is in the system backup file.

I wanted to ask, is it OK to have PAH in the DATA backup/restore? I know you said not to put it into system because FF won't work with it in system.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

I think FF Pro version does not have a time bomb. Indeed, you could brick if FF misbehaves, but in reality, you already got through the bulk of it, there is not much left. The other screw ups might be fixable via root access in ADB (which you should have authorized already).

Did you try it with FF 0.24 PRO or latest FF Pro. I tried FF 0.24 Pro and it didn't seem to want to open without PAH time settings.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Did you try it with FF 0.24 PRO or latest FF Pro. I tried FF 0.24 Pro and it didn't seem to want to open without PAH time settings.

Yes, 0.24 Pro bombs right away, not even a log ... Did they leave the time bomb in it? I intended to flash SuperSu.zip to get the proper 64-bit version of 'su', but got sidetracked. Will work on this a bit later.

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
... the data was 4gb.

I wanted to ask, is it OK to have PAH in the DATA backup/restore? I know you said not to put it into system because FF won't work with it in system.

4G for /data appears a bit high (if it's compressed).

Yes, it's fine to have PAH in /data. The old version will be overwritten during restore.

I think old versions of FF (Pro or not) are deactivated once new ones are released. Using FF is going to require PAH (hence, Xposed), so putting much of that in /system before the raw dump is a good idea.

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
4G for /data appears a bit high (if it's compressed).

Yes, it's fine to have PAH in /data. The old version will be overwritten during restore.

I think old versions of FF (Pro or not) are deactivated once new ones are released. Using FF is going to require PAH (hence, Xposed), so putting much of that in /system before the raw dump is a good idea.

In FF, when you add a backup action for /data, before selecting it and adding it you see the size of your partitions. My /data partition is 16gb uncompressed (pretty sure that is including the interal /sdcard partition which is 9.8 gb and is part of the data partition at /data/media/0). So I thought 4.28 gb compressed wasn't bad. What are your numbers here?

I can confirm, latest FF Pro opens without BAH time machine. But, I'm not sure if it actually works to make backups.

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
In FF, when you add a backup action for /data, before selecting it and adding it you see the size of your partitions. My /data partition is 16gb uncompressed (pretty sure that is including the interal /sdcard partition which is 9.8 gb and is part of the data partition at /data/media/0). So I thought 4.28 gb compressed wasn't bad. What are your numbers here?

I can confirm, latest FF Pro opens without BAH time machine. But, I'm not sure if it actually works to make backups.

My /data backup is 1.6G (one chunk of 1G and another of 0.6G). You probably have many more apps installed, but an exact 4G backup looks iffy.

The problem is not just about FF opening. The latest version does. However, it doesn't work. When you click on Flash, it can't even get past the Fire logo. We need a version that both opens and works to backup/restore, which v0.24 is (with PAH).

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
My /data backup is 1.6G (one chunk of 1G and another of 0.6G). You probably have many more apps installed, but an exact 4G backup looks iffy.

The problem is not just about FF opening. The latest version does. However, it doesn't work. When you click on Flash, it can't even get past the Fire logo. We need a version that both opens and works to backup/restore, which v0.24 is (with PAH).

it wasn't exactly 4, it was 4.28gb, sorry I was just rounding. But could you do me a favor,please: go into FF, Actions, plus sign, normal, and tell me how many GB /data says? of course you don't have to add the action, but I would just like to know what your *uncompressed* /data is at?

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
it wasn't exactly 4, it was 4.28gb, sorry I was just rounding. But could you do me a favor,please: go into FF, Actions, plus sign, normal, and tell me how many GB /data says? of course you don't have to add the action, but I would just like to know what your *uncompressed* /data is at?

It's 14G (out of a total size of 27G). But like yours, most of it is in /data/media/0. Is your backup split into 1G chunks?

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
It's 14G (out of a total size of 27G). But like yours, most of it is in /data/media/0. Is your backup split into 1G chunks?

yes it is in chuncks, but only a few of them are 1gb. Maybe Flashfire doesn't actually backup the media/0 partition? do you know what the size of your sdcard or media/0 is? I want to try and compare the non sd part of data to mine.

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
yes it is in chuncks, but only a few of them are 1gb. Maybe Flashfire doesn't actually backup the media/0 partition? do you know what the size of your sdcard or media/0 is? I want to try and compare the non sd part of data to mine.

My /data/media/0 is 12G, so the rest of /data is about 2.5G (FF rounds size to the nearest G).

I know FF does not backup /sdcard.

kirin-h

Dec 27, 2017
FuZhou
I don't know why the latest xposed_installer(3.1.4) didn't working correct in my HD 10
YOUR DEVICES-ARM SHOULD BE ARM64 .
So I can't install xposed.
Here is my solution:
1.download wrong data-package but not install
2.download arm64 data-package xposed-v89-sdk22-arm64.zip
3.rename xposed-v89-sdk22-arm64.zip as xposed-v89-sdk22-arm.zip
4.copy xposed-v89-sdk22-arm.zip to Android/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/cache/downloads/framework COVER the wrong data-package
5.open xposed_installer and install
6.now you should see a little console window popped up displaying that there was an error finding "app_process64". This is normal
7.Navigate to /system/bin/ and delete the file: "app_process64_xposed"
8.reboot and you will see xposed is working.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
But before you do that, you need to get FF working:
-- Install FF v0.24 but do not open it. You can make it a system app at this point. I used Link2SD (right-click on the app and convert it to a system app), but moving it to /system/app or /system/priv-app works just as well. For SuperSU, just choose the option in Settings to make it a system app (this moves SuperSU to /system/app; you can check it using a root explorer). Reboot after you convert user apps into system apps.
-- Assuming you have Xposed working (v89 works fine), install and activate the Per App Hacking module.
-- Go to the aforementioned module and scroll down to FF. Under Time Machine, choose a date right after v0.24 was released (but before v0.26 just to be safe). I went with late Sept. 2015. The format is (date time): 2015-09-25 12:55.
-- Now start FF. It should open w/o complaints. Under Settings, use the best compression and all the cores.
-- This is not needed if you use FF to backup /system as a raw image, but here's how you use dd (make sure you copy the backup off the tablet after it's done):
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/system.img
-- If you are happy with your system partition, you can now backup using FF. Choose "raw" backup.
-- Here's where you wait ... and wait ... and wait. I have timed this (I know what you're thinking!): First, the Fire will reboot to a near-black screen. It will spend about 4 minutes on that screen before a huge Loading sign in the center and a bunch of /system modules being loaded. Next, you will be on a black, but slightly brighter, screen for another 4 minutes, after which you will see the red FF logo at the top and backup progress at the bottom. The actual backup should take a minute or so and the Fire will reboot. Your backup should be in /sdcard/FlashFire/Backups/. Open system.gz in 7-Zip and extract system. Save it as system.img (file extension optional).
-- To backup /data, choose Normal backup in FF, check the data partition, and repeat the rest of the steps in FF (above). FF does not give you the option to backup /data as a raw image (thankfully, so you're not left with a 20G backup because /sdcard is in /data).
-- After a factory reset (or if root is lost), use the Kingo PC app and root as usual (do not reboot), but don't jump through hoops to install SuperSU. Use dd to write back the saved system img (assuming it's in /sdcard):
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -w -o remount /system
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13; sync
Wait a few minutes and reboot. (If your Fire reboots before this is done, you will be stuck at the Fire logo, but adb shell and su will still be available. Repeat the dd and it should work this time.)
-- After confirming SuperSU is working as expected (change the default access to Grant), uninstall the Kingo junk.
-- Finally, restore the data partition using FF, but before you do so, install Per App Hacking and tweak it to get FF working.

Great info!!! You should copy&paste this to your post #1. Especially regarding wait times - it can be very lonely while waiting for the device to respond :D

Now, I tried to be very clever - and re-flash SuperSu.zip ( SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip ) as to get "properly flashed root". And ... Ended up with a bootloop with "Fire" logo , can get a shell, but no root :(

But no fear, recovery sideloading, and my much improved rooting guide to rescue !!! I even found the same FireOS version as my tablet has, 5.5.0.0 (link)

Update: added the Flash Fire log file that I pulled via "adb pull /sdcard/FlashFire/lastlog" while it was bootlooping.

Attachments

• lastlog_flashfire_supersu.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
[snip]
Your backup should be in /sdcard/FlashFire/Backups/. Open system.gz in 7-Zip and extract system. Save it as system.img (file extension optional).
[snip]
Code:
adb shell
su
[snip]

I can confirm that restoring system and data partitions with FlashFire went flawlessly, saved me some trouble when i jacked stuff up, but could still boot up and load flashfire. Awesome! We just need to figure out how to make FF load the backup/restore processes faster and not sit there for 10 minutes doing nothing.

Unfortunately, using the dd command above did not work. I got the system file from inside the system backup zip and renamed it to system.img and pushed it to my sd card. got a root shell, mounted system rw, and ran the dd command above. Nothing happened. No output in ADB, just cursor went down to a blank line. I twas the same backup that I could restore in FF, so I know the backup was good.

I tried googling around a bit and read about someone saying you have run adb "from inside the device" .....but i didn't mess with it further. So my Fire is working great right now, but I had to do a FF restore, and couldn't do a dd restore. Have you, or anyone, done the dd restore of the system? Am I missing anything?

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
Unfortunately, using the dd command above did not work. I got the system file from inside the system backup zip and renamed it to system.img and pushed it to my sd card. got a root shell, mounted system rw, and ran the dd command above. Nothing happened. No output in ADB, just cursor went down to a blank line.

Writing a 1.6G file takes time (that's the blank line where you think nothing's happening). IIRC, the writing takes about 3 minutes, after which you should be back to the root prompt. Reboot from there.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Great info!!! You should copy&paste this to your post #1. Especially regarding wait times - it can be very lonely while waiting for the device to respond :D

Now, I tried to be very clever - and re-flash SuperSu.zip ( SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip ) as to get "properly flashed root". And ... Ended up with a bootloop with "Fire" logo , can get a shell, but no root :(

But no fear, recovery sideloading, and my much improved rooting guide to rescue !!! I even found the same FireOS version as my tablet has, 5.5.0.0 (link)

Update: added the Flash Fire log file that I pulled via "adb pull /sdcard/FlashFire/lastlog" while it was bootlooping.

@retyre

After my SuperSu induced bootloop, I've re-rooted a sideloaded FireOS 5.5.0.0, and tried Flash Fire 0.24 on something a lot more benign - Busybox zip. This zip worked fine - so zip flashing functionality in FF v0.24 is OK.

Now, if we could only find a SuperSu zip version which would flash OK in FF - then we could daisy chain all zips on top of the update, as I was doing for Fire 7:
https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/howto-install-fireos-5-1-1-root-gapps-t3265594

But without TWRP recovery, testing SuperSu zips to see which ones would work fine is a time wasting proposition. We should test if somehow the device can boot an unsigned recovery - long shot, but who knows ...

retyre

Jan 14, 2011
Central FL
@retyre

After my SuperSu induced bootloop, I've re-rooted a sideloaded FireOS 5.5.0.0, and tried Flash Fire 0.24 on something a lot more benign - Busybox zip. This zip worked fine - so zip flashing functionality in FF v0.24 is OK.

Now, if we could only find a SuperSu zip version which would flash OK in FF - then we could daisy chain all zips on top of the update, as I was doing for Fire 7:

But without TWRP recovery, testing SuperSu zips to see which ones would work fine is a time wasting proposition. We should test if somehow the device can boot an unsigned recovery - long shot, but who knows ...

Thanks for checking FF's flashing ability on this device.

I was about ready to flash an unsigned recovery a few days ago, but stopped short. I guessed there's no way the bootloader will allow that. I might still try it (it helps that I have a test device on which to try these things).

A few days ago, I created my own update .bin with injected SuperSU (by unpacking and repacking the system.new.dat from the 5.6.0.0 update .bin using the corresponding file_contexts and system_transfer_list, and then signing the update) and tried to adb sideload it, but it failed as expected. The bootloader will not let anything pass through without verifying the signature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Xposed threads for older HDs haven't been updated in months, so I thought I would start a new one for the 2017 HD 10.

Before I begin, the standard disclaimer: This is a risky undertaking. If you encounter issues or, worse, end up with a brick, I (or the others here) will try to help you, but the risk is all yours. Before you start with Xposed, do a dd backup of your SuperSU-rooted /system (with SuperSU in /system) to use as a fallback. Details are below.

Xposed:
    Follow this guide to install Xposed. As of this writing, v89 works well.

Modules: See the screenshots for the modules I have installed and confirmed working and for the look of the status bar and the navigation bar using GB, FSBI, and Xstana.

Some other apps of choice:
    Launcher: Apex (free)
    Keyboard: Gboard
    Browser: Lightning
    File explorer: Root Explorer (only because I got it for free from an old Amz promotion)
    Office: OfficeSuite (ditto reason above)
    YouTube: OGYouTube
    Media: VLC for Fire
    Adblocker: AdAway
    Backup: Titanium Backup and Backup+
    Boot manager: ROM Toolbox Lite and All-In-One Toolbox
    VPN: OpenVPN Connect

Update: I have finally been able to get FlashFire working, albeit an older version. I have tested backup/restore extensively (backup and restore of /system and /data) and flashed a few zips with success.

Requirements:
    -- Root with SuperSU
    -- FlashFire v0.24 or modified v0.51
    -- Xposed with Per App Hacking module (to use Time Machine to load time-bombed FF)
    -- Low risk aversion
    -- Patience

Downloads:
    -- Download the Xposed Installer from here. You should be downloading this framework: xposed-v89-sdk22-arm64 (the installer will likely pick it up from here).
    -- Search for and download all the Xposed modules (the screenshot below contains the version numbers of the modules I have installed) from the Xposed Installer's Download tab. For modules that aren't in the Xposed repo, do a Google or XDA search. The Per App Hacking module is here.
    -- Download FlashFire v0.24 or modified v0.51 from the attachments in this post.

I have now created a custom image (using dd) with SuperSU, Xposed, and FlashFire in /system. After a factory reset or adb sideload, I root with Kingo, dd this custom system.img, and reboot to have a SuperSU-rooted /system with working Xposed. You may have to run each of these apps once and reboot for things to work properly. Finally, install the Per App Hacking module to allow FlashFire to function. I would have loved to put the PAH module in /system as well, but FF doesn't like that.

FlashFire:
    How to get FF working and use it to backup and restore /system and /data:
    -- Install FlashFire but do not open it. You can make it (and anything else) a system app at this point. I used Link2SD (long-press on the app and convert it to a system app), but manually moving it to /system/app or /system/priv-app works just as well. For SuperSU, just choose the option in Settings to make it a system app (this moves SuperSU to /system/app; you can confirm this using a root explorer). Reboot after you convert user apps into system apps.
    -- Assuming you have Xposed working, install and activate the Per App Hacking module.
    -- Go to the aforementioned module and scroll down to FF. Under Time Machine, choose a date around the time the version was active. For v0.24, I went with late Sept. 2015. The format is (date time): 2015-09-25 12:55.
    -- Now start FF. It should open w/o complaints. Under Settings, use the best compression and all the cores.
    -- This is not needed if you use FF to backup /system as a raw image, but here's how you use dd (to use as a failsafe in the event of a careless wipe, make sure you copy the backup off the tablet after it's done):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/system.img
    -- If you are happy with your system partition, you can now backup using FF. Choose "raw" backup.
    -- Here's where you wait ... and wait ... and wait. I have timed this wait: First, the Fire will reboot to a near-black screen. It will spend about 4 minutes on that screen before a huge Loading sign in the center and a bunch of /system modules being loaded. Next, you will be on a black, but slightly brighter, screen for another 4 minutes, after which you will see the red FF at the top and the backup progress at the bottom. The actual backup should take a minute or so and the Fire will reboot. Your backup should be in /sdcard/FlashFire/Backups/. Open system.gz in 7-Zip and extract system. Save it as system.img (file extension optional).
    -- To backup /data, choose Normal backup in FF, check the data partition, and repeat the rest of the steps in FF (above).
    -- You can chain actions in FF. For example, you can backup /system as Raw and /data as Normal in one shot, saving you an eight-minute wait.
    -- After a factory reset (or if root is lost), use (offline) Kingo to root as usual (do not reboot), but don't jump through hoops to install SuperSU. Use dd to write back the saved system img (assuming it's in /sdcard):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    Note: Doing a live dump onto a mounted partition is risky. The above process is meant to save a few minutes. If you have time to burn, use FlashFire to restore /system. Using the steps in "FlashFire w/o Xposed," this will be even quicker.
    Wait a few minutes and reboot. (If your Fire reboots before this is done, you will be stuck at the Fire logo, but adb shell and su will still be available. Repeat the dd and it should work this time. I have noticed that the likelihood of reboot during dd is (much) greater when moving from one version of FireOS to another.)
    -- After confirming SuperSU is working as expected (change the default access to Grant), uninstall the Kingo junk.
    -- Finally, restore the data partition using FF, but before you do so, install Per App Hacking and tweak it to get FF working.

FlashFire w/o Xposed:
    If you only care about FlashFire and don't want Xposed, here's a quick-and-dirty non-Xposed way to get FlashFire working (say, after an adb sideload and SuperSU): Change the date using busybox:
    Code:
    busybox date -s "201509221745"
    Changing the system date has implications beyond FF, so this is just a quick fix to get FF working to do a restore, after which you should look to PAH as the permanent solution.

Given the risk of data corruption when dding back a system.img into a mounted /system, here's my recommended approach:
    -- adb sideload update.bin
    -- Root with (offline) Kingo
    -- Install SuperSU v2.79
    -- Get FF working with backdating using busybox
    -- Use FF to restore /system and /data from backup
    ROM update: some progress has been made. I've gathered everything needed to get a ROM up and running. Looks like I can port over most of the system from the Fire 7 ROM. The tests I've been doing show Many of the components are compatible to the HD 10. Im pretty sure I have all I need. It's just a matter of tweaking some things which I think I'll be done with later today. If so, I'll be able to perform the first flash to the HD 10 :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs
    what does a boot manager do?

Prevents apps from running automatically at boot. You can also prevent apps from autorunning even after boot. This is a safer alternative (relative to wholesale uninstall).

ETA: See the updated OP for FlashFire-related information.
    Let me know if i got this right:
    Snipped a lot of your post, but here are the answers:
    -- Do 2. and 3. first. If you make a backup of /data with the four apps and then make them system apps, you will have duplicates (one in the data backup and one in your system img).

ETA: Most of the FlashFire-related information that used to be here is now in the updated OP.
    About the xposed framework, once the .zip is installed, isn't it already part of system? I mean, If it has already been installed and then the dd backup is done, isn't that enough to have it installed when restoring the system.img later? If it's not enough, what step needs to be done? (I did think you meant that the installer needed to be made a system app. I did not do that, and I think you're agreeing with that).

On a different topic, for Dragon1024 issue about FlashFire, I've only used link2sd. I haven't copied the file directly. Could that be making a difference? I have not had any problem with FF v0.24 with PAH module.

Yes, the framework files will be in /system. The goal is to have all the FF prereqs in system.img. That includes Xposed Installer. As you wrote, this is not required (using that argument, FF need not be a system app either; you could just install it like you would Xposed Installer), but it's one less thing to worry about.

DragonFire1024: If you don't want to use Link2SD, just move /data/app/eu.chainfire.flash to /system/priv-app/eu.chainfire.flash and set the correct permissions (755 for directories and 644 for files).