FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to guide: Enable 'ok Google' to work from ANY screen

3,836 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,417

Post Reply Email Thread
This guide will work on both the HD 8 and HD 7. **EDIT, NOTE:** It will probably be better to make sure you have all the core Google Apps and services updated to the latest versions BEFORE you start this guide. Please see this post before you start the guide.

First download and install the Google App, which is required. Also download and install Gboard (this is only required for voice typing).

From the Google app , tap the three bars at the upper left > settings > voice. Set your default language, set speech output to on and download an offline speech set. Then tap 'ok Google' detection and switch ON 'from the Google app'. You can try to turn on 'from any screen', but you won't be able to...yet. Now open the Gboard app and tap voice typing. Select your languages and decide if you don't like bad words. Then go to settings > keyboard and languages > show/hide keyboards > make sure Google voice typing is set to automatic. Now swipe everything closed.

1) Now you need to download and install Activity Launcher. Open it and tap the three bars at the top left and select 'all activities.'

2) Scroll down until you see settings. Tap it and scroll until you see 'voice input'. Then tap it.

3) After tapping 'voice input' a screen will pop up with two settings; 'Basic Google recognition' and 'Enhanced Google services.' You need to select 'Enhanced Google services.'

4) When you completed that, stay on that screen and tap the gear to the right of Enhanced Services. Now it brings you back into the voice settings screen.

5) Tap the 'ok Google' detection. Now tap 'from any screen.' Another screen will come up which will allow you to train the Google App with your own voice. Tap next at the bottom right.

6) Now all you need to do is follow the onscreen instructions. You''ll be asked to say 'ok Google' three times. It's best to be in a quiet area so your microphone doesn't record and weird sounds, aside from your voice.

If you use Nova Launcher, go into Nova Settings > gestures and input > and turn on 'ok Google' hot word. Now you should be able to do a voice Google search from ANY screen on your tablet...except the lock screen The app will detect your voice, but the screen has to be unlocked unfortunately. You should also download Google text-to-speech as well. Though you will have to access it using Activity Launcher which will allow you to create a shortcut to it. First you need to bind 'appwidget' to your custom launcher using the steps here. Once you've done that, go into Activity Launcher > all activities > scroll to Google text-to-speech and tap it. Then tap on 'Google TTS voice data' to select your languages. When done, long press on that same item and create shortcut. Yay you're done
The Following User Says Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free

27th August 2017, 10:56 AM |#2  
I rebooted to recovery, wiped cache, powered down and powered back on. I had to go back into Activity Launcher and re-select 'Enhanced Google services.' This might be due to Amazon apps: SpeechInteractionManager or SpeechUI. Maybe both, but I haven't tried to uninstall them yet because I'm not ready for a reset. If someone could kindly test this for me?

I cannot uninstall or disable Amazon's text-to-speech as it's inside settings and not an APK/package, unless I missed it.
27th August 2017, 01:35 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 340

More
Thanks for this. You are single handedly making this tablet better and better.

When I select 'from any screen' I get the progress wheel then 'problem while connecting', 'try again/dismiss'.

Netguard is installed but toggled off. Strange...
27th August 2017, 02:45 PM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by obvious

Thanks for this. You are single handedly making this tablet better and better.

When I select 'from any screen' I get the progress wheel then 'problem while connecting', 'try again/dismiss'.

Netguard is installed but toggled off. Strange...

Try this. In Activity Launcher, scroll to the Google App. Tap it and scroll until you see Google Assistant. Tap the second and third one until they both load. Pick one of those windows, tap 3 dots upper right. Make sure the same account is listed that's attached to your tablet. That was one step I messed with while troubleshooting, before I found 'voice input' in settings.

Also, while troubleshooting, I read that you need to have the same voice settings set up for each device that is signed in with the account on your tablet. So if using the account on two or three devices, you'd have to have the same settings across all three.
27th August 2017, 04:39 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 340

More
Hmm, like you I enjoy digging a bit deeper into things. Account location on my Android devices is set to English uk. I have swapped and changed Google play location to US from time to time in order to get better app prices but that is also set to uk now. Can't troubleshoot further right now but interesting stuff. Will try again later
27th August 2017, 07:57 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by obvious

Hmm, like you I enjoy digging a bit deeper into things. Account location on my Android devices is set to English uk. I have swapped and changed Google play location to US from time to time in order to get better app prices but that is also set to uk now. Can't troubleshoot further right now but interesting stuff. Will try again later

I've sporadically been having the same issue, though not being exclusive to just the tablets. My phone was weirding out too. I think it could be something to do with syncing. I'm not sure yet. I am going to try something today that might fix it.

I also uninstalled both of the Amazon Speech apps. I haven't rebooted yet, since uninstalling the second one. So I am still not sure if that was causing the confusion.
28th August 2017, 01:57 AM |#7  
So this fixes the issue, but I haven't rebooted as of this posting so I don't know if it all holds. Please see this post to make sure ALL core Google apps are updated to their latest versions before you go through the guide.
10th January 2018, 08:02 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is this enabling google now or google assistant?
10th January 2018, 03:19 PM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonantonio

Is this enabling google now or google assistant?

"Ok Google" Assistant. You have download the Nova Google Companion for Nova launcher if you want to use that.
15th January 2018, 03:33 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for this guide. I've got voice recognition working on my Fire 7, but should I also be getting voice output i.e. google assistant verbally answering my questions?

I've also tried setting up personalized results in 'Voice Match' in google home, but it hangs on 'Please wait...' after pressing Continue
21st January 2018, 01:22 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

So this fixes the issue, but I haven't rebooted as of this posting so I don't know if it all holds. Please see this post to make sure ALL core Google apps are updated to their latest versions before you go through the guide.

Have you been able to get this to survive a reboot? I've gotten it to work, but after a reboot I have to re-do all the steps again to get it to work again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)