Remove All Ads from XDA

NO ROOT REQUIRED: Use widgets in your preferred launcher

3,967 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,462

Post Reply Email Thread
Enable Widgets:

Reference: /system/bin/appwidget
Code:
# Script to start "appwidget" on the device, which has a very rudimentary shell.
base=/system
export CLASSPATH=$base/framework/appwidget.jar
exec app_process $base/bin com.android.commands.appwidget.AppWidget "[email protected]"
1. Use a file manager like Total Commander and navigate to /system/bin/
2. Locate appwidget and copy it to clipboard.
3. Paste the file to your PC desktop and open it with a text editor. I use Notepad+++. You do NOT need to make any edits.
4. Click file, and save as appwidget.sh and save it as a Unix file type. (If using regular Notepad, save it as the ALL FILES file type)
5. Copy appwidget.sh and paste it into the internal storage of your fire (sdcard).
6: Open ADB and type:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE.name.of.your.launcher> --user <USER_ID>
(USER_ID = 0)

Or, if above doesn't work:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE.name.of.your.launcher> --user current
Now add your favorite widgets through your favorite launcher
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free

17th July 2017, 04:24 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So the .sh file just needs to be sitting on my desktop when I run that code in ADB? I entered it and then a new line came up letting me enter more code and I assumed that meant it executed successfully. Placing widgets with Nova Launcher still takes me to the Kindle Fire Settings app though. Any ideas?

EDIT: Must have typed something wrong. Working now after retrying everything. Thanks!
17th July 2017, 06:06 AM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons403

So the .sh file just needs to be sitting on my desktop when I run that code in ADB? I entered it and then a new line came up letting me enter more code and I assumed that meant it executed successfully. Placing widgets with Nova Launcher still takes me to the Kindle Fire Settings app though. Any ideas?

EDIT: Must have typed something wrong. Working now after retrying everything. Thanks!

Yes. The script file appwidget.sh needs to be run through ADB. You won't be able to use a terminal emulator, so far as I know.

Usually if you are successful at running an ADB script/code, a new line will appear with nothing on it like this example:
The Following User Says Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
17th July 2017, 07:25 AM |#4  
I edited the steps to show you have to copy the .sh into the internal storage of your fire, then run the script through ADB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
17th July 2017, 12:17 PM |#5  
Also, if you want to switch launchers, you need to run the script again.

Is anyone good at script writing? I would like to see if we cn do something like this for live wallpapers. I have yet to find a 'widget' for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
19th July 2017, 10:22 AM |#6  

More
Thanks this sounds great . However could you explain the steps for a complete noob.

I get the steps from 1 on wards but what am I supposed to do with the initial code.
19th July 2017, 01:39 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3bell

Thanks this sounds great . However could you explain the steps for a complete noob.

I get the steps from 1 on wards but what am I supposed to do with the initial code.

All you need to do is paste the .sh to your internal and sdcard and copy and paste the command into terminal Emulator: sh /sdcard/appwidget.sh

That activates the widget functionality. The final two commands are what bind a package to use widgets. In my case, I use Nova launcher so I would bind the functionality to it.
19th July 2017, 02:06 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

All you need to do is paste the .sh to your internal and sdcard and copy and paste the command into terminal Emulator: sh /sdcard/appwidget.sh

That activates the widget functionality. The final two commands are what bind a package to use widgets. In my case, I use Nova launcher so I would bind the functionality to it.

Thanks got it to work was using the wrong package name
20th July 2017, 10:03 PM |#9  

More
I get an error that the package can't be opened
"can't open com.teslacoilsw.launcher_53000: No such file or directory"
Do I need to be in the location that the package is installed in or in the /sdcard directory?

Thanks for all the hard work - Replacing fire launcher is awesome!
20th July 2017, 10:50 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebimmonds

I get an error that the package can't be opened
"can't open com.teslacoilsw.launcher_53000: No such file or directory"
Do I need to be in the location that the package is installed in or in the /sdcard directory?

Thanks for all the hard work - Replacing fire launcher is awesome!

Nova Launcher package name is: com.teslacoilsw.launcher
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
21st July 2017, 01:03 AM |#11  

More
I'm pretty new with Android and all these new tools, but for the sh /sdcard/appwidget.sh command, is it just adb shell and then run the command with appwidget.sh in the root storage folder of my device?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)