Thanks Meter: 1,461

Post Reply Email Thread
23rd June 2018, 12:36 AM |#81  
Flag San Luis Obispo
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankees

OK, I did that. What do I do after that?

I'm confused. I can't get the ADB to stay opened.

(Thanks for helping.)

You should read this over...but don't worry necessarily about the installing Android SDK. https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how...ridge-utility/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

24th June 2018, 02:22 AM |#82  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerhole

You should read this over...but don't worry necessarily about the installing Android SDK. https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how...ridge-utility/

Thank you.

This is where I get lost.

I can't find an SDK Tools exe file anywhere...?

I got the install window opened and installed what it wanted me to install, but when I try to open the ADB.exe file, it won't star opened...?

Are you able to make the appwidget.sh file for me for Nova Launcher?
24th June 2018, 03:44 AM |#83  
Flag San Luis Obispo
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Check your messages.
24th June 2018, 06:12 PM |#84  
Flag ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Thanks Meter: 1,745

More
Just to make this easy for anyone else with a case of the stupids the command that worked for me with Trebuchet was
Quote:

appwidget grantbind --package com.lineageport.trebuchet --user 0

Just insert your launchers name in place of "com.lineageport.trebuchet" and you're good to put some widgets on your home screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to 063_XOBX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 063_XOBX Ad-Free
9th February 2019, 09:09 AM |#85  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Not really sure why you need to copy file from device to pc, save it without edits then copy it back to the device...
Here is what worked for me
Short version:

copy file appwidget from \system\bin to \storage\emulated\0
run this from adb terminal:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package com.mi.launcher --user 0
add widgets to screen.

(replace com.mi.launcher with the name of your launcher. com.nova.launcher or whatever)

Long version
-connect kindle to pc using microusb cable
-install ghost commander. start it. select left panel of it (click on left part of the half line, that goes across the top of the screen)
-using ghost commander navigate to apps folder. (click on the arrow on the top right part of the screen, select home, then select Applications from the items.)
-note the name of your launcher, and the package name . For "Mi Launcher", package name is com.mi.launcher.
-navigate to \system\bin folder using left side of the panel (arrow on top, home, "local storage")
-use .. at the top left to get to \ location. (also known as root)
-navigate to \system\bin
-click on the right panel (half line accross the top of the screen)
-navigate to "local storage" on the right panel (click on the right panel, arrow, home, "local storage")
-click on the left panel, click on the right part of the filename of the file "appwidget", to select it
-click on the copy text at the bottom of the screen, top copy file appwidget to "local storage"

on pc, in the command line type:
Code:
adb shell appwidget grantbind --package com.mi.launcher --user 0
replace com.mi.launcher with the name of your launcher. com.nova.launcher or whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbojan76 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dbojan76 Ad-Free
16th February 2019, 08:47 AM |#86  
Beautiful Whidbey Island
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

Now that I think about it, when I found this and got it to work, I had 1) not been registered to Amazon 2) I had already uninstalled Fire Launcher. Fire Launcher is ordered to immediately kill the appwidget functionality. I pasted below the instructions. However if you go to terminal emulator and navigate to internal storage, with appwidget.sh still there you can see the instructions. If you try to run the commands through emulator, you will get errors and yes they will be real errors :P Widget script and function can only be activated via ADB.

Code:
[email protected]:/sdcard $ sh appwidget.sh
usage: adb shell appwidget [subcommand] [options]

usage: adb shell appwidget grantbind --package <PACKAGE>  [--user <USER_ID> | current]
  <PACKAGE> an Android package name.
  <USER_ID> The user id under which the package is installed.
  Example:
  # Grant the "foo.bar.baz" package to bind app widgets for the current user.
  adb shell grantbind --package foo.bar.baz --user current

usage: adb shell appwidget revokebind --package <PACKAGE> [--user <USER_ID> | current]
  Example:
  # Revoke the permisison to bind app widgets from the "foo.bar.baz" package.
  adb shell revokebind --package foo.bar.baz --user current

How did you overcome this error? I'm getting this too. I noticed that files cannot be made executable in /sdcard. Is this maybe the problem?
10th May 2019, 08:39 PM |#87  
Flag Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanks Meter: 185

Donate to Me
More
As mentioned for some people you may need to remove the current user part.

adb shell appwidget grantbind --package com.teslacoilsw.launcher

So all I needed to do was paste the above command and my widgets are working.

Also, a tip for people not familiar with push/pull commands. Simply "Send to" from Total Commander whatever the file is to your Dropbox and then copy it from there to your PC to resave the file.

After that, simply copy the renamed file to your internal storage and done.

This will omit the need for doing so many adb commands.
11th May 2019, 12:45 AM |#88  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelphinusMinor

As mentioned for some people you may need to remove the current user part.

adb shell appwidget grantbind --package com.teslacoilsw.launcher

So all I needed to do was paste the above command and my widgets are working.

Also, a tip for people not familiar with push/pull commands. Simply "Send to" from Total Commander whatever the file is to your Dropbox and then copy it from there to your PC to resave the file.

After that, simply copy the renamed file to your internal storage and done.

This will omit the need for doing so many adb commands.

I think the user part depends on the actual activation of another account or accidental activation of the guest account (which causes other problems).

Sent from my Droid Razr M using XDA Labs
11th May 2019, 04:53 AM |#89  
Flag Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanks Meter: 185

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

I think the user part depends on the actual activation of another account or accidental activation of the guest account (which causes other problems).

Sent from my Droid Razr M using XDA Labs

Yea, that would make sense.
31st May 2019, 07:57 PM |#90  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not working with Launcher Hijack
EDIT: I was finally able to get this to work, using a different launcher and a different method. I'm currently using ADW launcher and was able to use widgets.

I'm wondering if this dependent on the launcher itself; ie - this only works with well known launchers (Nova, ADW). I'd be interested to see if you can use this tip with multiple launchers.

This isn't working for me at all. Is this only for Nova launcher?

I'm using Launcher Hijack, with a few launchers and everyone I try for this, I get the same thing name.of.launcher: No such file or directory; I've included a screen shot of the whole process. I'm currently using Flick Launcher on my Fire HD 8 (7th gen) and I've tired the code with that and Smart Launcher, only to get the no such file or directory. I even tried using the name for Launcher Hijack in the case that I needed to use the actually program that's running the launchers.

Am I typing in something wrong? Am I using the wrong launcher?

EDIT: Apparently I can't upload any images so I just pasted the results I'm getting below.

Example:
# Revoke the permisison to bind app widgets from the "foo.bar.baz" package.
adb shell revokebind --package foo.bar.baz --user current

[ERROR] Unsupported operation: null
et grantbind --package <com.universallauncher.universallauncher> --user 0 <
/system/bin/sh: can't open com.universallauncher.universallauncher: No such file or directory
ge <com.universallauncher.universallauncher> --user current <
/system/bin/sh: can't open com.universallauncher.universallauncher: No such file or directory
dget grantbind --package <home.solo.launcher.free> --user 0 <
/system/bin/sh: can't open home.solo.launcher.free: No such file or directory
dget grantbind --package <com.universallauncher.universallauncher> --user 0 <
dget grantbind --package <com.baronkiko.launcherhijack> --user 0 <
/system/bin/sh: can't open com.baronkiko.launcherhijack: No such file or directory
ind --package <com.baronkiko.launcherhijack> --user current <
/system/bin/sh: can't open com.baronkiko.launcherhijack: No such file or directory
--package <com.universallauncher.universallauncher> --user 0 <
1|[email protected]:/ $ sh /sdcard/appwidget.sh
usage: adb shell appwidget [subcommand] [options]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)