FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

only solution to make fire tablets fast that I found

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By iuyals, Junior Member on 16th March 2019, 09:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Fire are so cheap, that's great,but it's so slow even for normal task.
Long time ago,I have found the performance Bottleneck
Of fire is RAM,not CPU,at least for daily normal use like browser web.when I open more than 3 app like chrome videos music play store,the fire become so slow even get stuck, that's really bad.so the problem is It run out of RAM.it only has 1.7G ram for hd 10 and 1.4g for hd 7 or 8. That's really small today.here is solution I found , it's amazing efficient,really make your fire usable even you run many many apps simultaneously.
One word is "swap".
Swap can make you disk storage to be used as RAM,we know disk is slower than RAM,but as I have test, it's OK,you can do it. : )
First get your fire rooted
Next download a terminal I recommend termux,a powerful tool.
Open temux,now you can run many Linux command on you ,run following command:
su
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=200m count=20
mkswap swap
swapon swap

you will creat 200m*20 about 3.5G ram,also,it takes up the same amount storage,but it worth.
to check if you turn on swap run follow command:
exit
free -m

You'll see you ram status include swap
if you dont ru su before,you dont need exit command beacause you are normal user
swap make big diff experience on you fire, now try it
i can run firefox snd chrome and many app at same time at a acceptable speed.amazing!!!

you will
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iuyals For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iuyals Ad-Free

16th March 2019, 09:54 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
This is my first share on XDA,I think it's really useful, hope help you too : )
16th March 2019, 12:19 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,091

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyals

Fire are so cheap, that's great,but it's so slow even for normal task.
Long time ago,I have found the performance Bottleneck
Of fire is RAM,not CPU,at least for daily normal use like browser web.when I open more than 3 app like chrome videos music play store,the fire become so slow even get stuck, that's really bad.so the problem is It run out of RAM.it only has 1.7G ram for hd 10 and 1.4g for hd 7 or 8. That's really small today.here is solution I found , it's amazing efficient,really make your fire usable even you run many many apps simultaneously.
One word is "swap".
Swap can make you disk storage to be used as RAM,we know disk is slower than RAM,but as I have test, it's OK,you can do it. : )
First get your fire rooted
Next download a terminal I recommend termux,a powerful tool.
Open temux,now you can run many Linux command on you ,run following command:
su
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=200m count=20
mkswap swap
swapon swap

you will creat 200m*20 about 3.5G ram,also,it takes up the same amount storage,but it worth.
to check if you turn on swap run follow command:
exit
free -m

You'll see you ram status include swap
if you dont ru su before,you dont need exit command beacause you are normal user
swap make big diff experience on you fire, now try it
i can run firefox snd chrome and many app at same time at a acceptable speed.amazing!!!

you will

Yes, adding a static swap file and adjusting 'swappiness' can make a huge difference in responsiveness, especially when multitasking and after wake from extended sleep when many apps attempt to resync. The file does not need to be large and can be placed in the cache partition if desired.

My recommendations:
- 256MB static swap file
- set swappiness to 10
- leave ZRAM swap intact if present
- (optional) set ZRAM priority higher than static file to favor ZRAM storage

Also no need to use obsecure terminal commands. The free app Apps2SD easily handed swap file creation and management.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
16th March 2019, 01:43 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Yes, adding a static swap file and adjusting 'swappiness' can make a huge difference in responsiveness, ...

My recommendations:
- 256MB static swap file
- set swappiness to 10

Also no need to use obsecure terminal commands. The free app Apps2SD easily handed swap file creation and management.

Which "Apps2SD" does one download? There are quite a few apps with similar name "App2SD".

Is this the one ?
https://www.apps2sd.info/features
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ampaign%3DHome

Thank you.
16th March 2019, 02:21 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_firehd

Which "Apps2SD" does one download? There are quite a few apps with similar name "App2SD".

Is this the one ?
https://www.apps2sd.info/features
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ampaign%3DHome

Thank you.

Yep - that's the pup.

{interesting: name varies depending on entry point; author calls it "Apps2SD" but is posted as "App2SD" in the Play Store}
16th March 2019, 02:28 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Oh, thanks so much,you introduce me zram, which a More amazing concept,as I have test,it has better performance than swap,now I change to zram,thx,it's better to my disk
its so good to share,bc i get a better one : )
16th March 2019, 02:45 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Does anyone know the PROS and CONS, as far as ZRAM is concerned, between Apps2SD and RAMExpander?

See the following post about RAMExpander:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...ience-t3730239

Thanks.
16th March 2019, 10:47 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_firehd

Does anyone know the PROS and CONS, as far as ZRAM is concerned, between Apps2SD and RAMExpander?

See the following post about RAMExpander:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...ience-t3730239

Thanks.

Apples and oranges. Apps2SD is simply a tool that provides GUI for defining and managing static swap files. RAMExpander appears to do the same thing with predefined (and excessive IMO) values. ZRAM is a seperate beast that is best left alone unless one is familiar with Virtual Memory Management and the various interactions that take place between tuneables.
24th March 2019, 01:41 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
-- I accidentally posted in the wrong thread, sry --
24th March 2019, 03:49 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Yes, adding a static swap file and adjusting 'swappiness' can make a huge difference in responsiveness, especially when multitasking and after wake from extended sleep when many apps attempt to resync. The file does not need to be large and can be placed in the cache partition if desired.

My recommendations:
- 256MB static swap file
- set swappiness to 10

Is this (attachment) ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-23-21-48-37.png
Views:	470
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	4729751  
24th March 2019, 03:01 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oco

Is this (attachment) ok?

That works! Don't expect miracles. Still a low resource gizmo; reading/writting to static swap is magnitudes slower than memory based zram. But it does allow the OS to swap when needed without thrashing. Setting swappiness to 10 encourages the retention of processes in memory while reducing the chance of exhusting available swap space. If that happens the device will become a complete dog due to thrashing on slow file based swap; a reboot will fix things up.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)