FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Successfully Changed Launcher to Nova Fire HD 10 (2017) 5.6.0.0

172 posts
Thanks Meter: 58
 
By gizm0luvsu, Senior Member on 2nd February 2018, 06:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I have read tons of threads on changing the launcher not working. I just tried this and it worked flawlessly.

Here is how I have my Fire HD 10 (2017):
Fire os 5.6.00
I changed build.prop build no to 987654321 in order to stop ota but keep updating the amazon apps. ( works flawlessly )
installed root, busybox, xposed ( all working great)
set up kernel auditor to change my SELINUX to permissive on boot.
( I did not have launcher hijack on at all )

here is what i did to get it to work.

1. First install nova launcher as normal.
2. Connected to pc via adb and:
2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.
3.a pm enable com.teslacoilsw.launcher
you will see it say that the package has now been enabled

4. Then i ran this to disable fire launcher.
4.a pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher
you will then see that it says the new state is disabled

I hit the home button and poof it magically worked. I even rebooted and it worked directly after reboot as well. Home button works as it should and all the functions of the launcher work as well.

Hopefully this works for others.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to gizm0luvsu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gizm0luvsu Ad-Free
 
 
2nd February 2018, 08:26 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 919
 
More
Wow, I'm glad this worked for you but you seem to have taken the very very long way with too much effort to accomplish this! You could accomplish all of this very easily even without root by following this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...ck-v2-t3561026

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizm0luvsu

So I have read tons of threads on changing the launcher not working. I just tried this and it worked flawlessly.

Here is how I have my Fire HD 10 (2017):
Fire os 5.6.00
I changed build.prop build no to 987654321 in order to stop ota but keep updating the amazon apps. ( works flawlessly )
installed root, busybox, xposed ( all working great)
set up kernel auditor to change my SELINUX to permissive on boot.
( I did not have launcher hijack on at all )

here is what i did to get it to work.

1. First install nova launcher as normal.
2. Connected to pc via adb and:
2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.
3.a pm enable com.teslacoilsw.launcher
you will see it say that the package has now been enabled

4. Then i ran this to disable fire launcher.
4.a pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher
you will then see that it says the new state is disabled

I hit the home button and poof it magically worked. I even rebooted and it worked directly after reboot as well. Home button works as it should and all the functions of the launcher work as well.

Hopefully this works for others.

2nd February 2018, 08:45 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by najoor

Wow, I'm glad this worked for you but you seem to have taken the very very long way with too much effort to accomplish this! You could accomplish all of this very easily even without root by following this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...ck-v2-t3561026

I do not think you understand what exactly this does. If you have used launcher hijack there is a flicker when you hit the home screen. Not sure if that is still there with v3 but i know for a fact that on my hd8 its still there. This actually replaces firelauncher completely with a new launcher. That flicker drove me nuts.
2nd February 2018, 11:39 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 919
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizm0luvsu

I do not think you understand what exactly this does. If you have used launcher hijack there is a flicker when you hit the home screen. Not sure if that is still there with v3 but i know for a fact that on my hd8 its still there. This actually replaces firelauncher completely with a new launcher. That flicker drove me nuts.

I know what that flicker is. The solution for that flicker (now that you are rooted) is simply this:

pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher

Which should be done only after Nova is up and running and selected as main launcher.
6th February 2018, 02:52 PM |#5  
dondraper23's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizm0luvsu

So I have read tons of threads on changing the launcher not working. I just tried this and it worked flawlessly.

Here is how I have my Fire HD 10 (2017):
Fire os 5.6.00
I changed build.prop build no to 987654321 in order to stop ota but keep updating the amazon apps. ( works flawlessly )
installed root, busybox, xposed ( all working great)
set up kernel auditor to change my SELINUX to permissive on boot.
( I did not have launcher hijack on at all )

here is what i did to get it to work.

1. First install nova launcher as normal.
2. Connected to pc via adb and:
2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.
3.a pm enable com.teslacoilsw.launcher
you will see it say that the package has now been enabled

4. Then i ran this to disable fire launcher.
4.a pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher
you will then see that it says the new state is disabled

I hit the home button and poof it magically worked. I even rebooted and it worked directly after reboot as well. Home button works as it should and all the functions of the launcher work as well.

Hopefully this works for others.

This worked great for me! Thanks!
15th February 2018, 05:15 AM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
awesome! my new HD 10 boots straight into Nova now.
16th February 2018, 07:08 AM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizm0luvsu

So I have read tons of threads on changing the launcher not working. I just tried this and it worked flawlessly.

Here is how I have my Fire HD 10 (2017):
Fire os 5.6.00
I changed build.prop build no to 987654321 in order to stop ota but keep updating the amazon apps. ( works flawlessly )
installed root, busybox, xposed ( all working great)
set up kernel auditor to change my SELINUX to permissive on boot.
( I did not have launcher hijack on at all )

here is what i did to get it to work.

1. First install nova launcher as normal.
2. Connected to pc via adb and:
2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.
3.a pm enable com.teslacoilsw.launcher
you will see it say that the package has now been enabled

4. Then i ran this to disable fire launcher.
4.a pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher
you will then see that it says the new state is disabled

I hit the home button and poof it magically worked. I even rebooted and it worked directly after reboot as well. Home button works as it should and all the functions of the launcher work as well.

Hopefully this works for others.

You should install Nova as a system app. Then you get the Google Now page without having to install another apk. If you are going to keep Fire Launcher, but leave it disabled, add this line to your build prop, at the very bottom:
Code:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
This helps to keep your default launcher in memory for faster loading and performance.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
20th February 2018, 01:14 PM |#8  
dondraper23's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

You should install Nova as a system app. Then you get the Google Now page without having to install another apk. If you are going to keep Fire Launcher, but leave it disabled, add this line to your build prop, at the very bottom:

Code:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
This helps to keep your default launcher in memory for faster loading and performance.

DragonFire1024, all your posts are awesome!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dondraper23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dondraper23 Ad-Free
23rd April 2018, 12:01 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Hi,

I followed these instructions but instead of disabling the AMZ launcher, I uninstalled it (pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.firelauncher) on a rooted HD 10 with Nova launcher installed as system app. Unfortunately, I have lost the home button functionality. Is there a work-around to this?
23rd April 2018, 12:08 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketrussian

Hi,

I followed these instructions but instead of disabling the AMZ launcher, I uninstalled it (pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.firelauncher) on a rooted HD 10 with Nova launcher installed as system app. Unfortunately, I have lost the home button functionality. Is there a work-around to this?

You have to go to the private app folder and manually reinstall fire launcher and reboot. Then uninstall Nova Launcher and reboot. Then boot into recovery and clear cache. Then reboot and install Nova Launcher as a system app then reboot. Then uninstall fire launcher. Just go to the private app folder and delete the folder with the contents inside of it and reboot. If none of that works, you'll have to flash stock firmware again and start over. You won't lose home button functionality so long as you install Nova Launcher first before uninstalling fire launcher.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free
23rd April 2018, 05:14 AM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

You have to go to the private app folder and manually reinstall fire launcher and reboot. Then uninstall Nova Launcher and reboot. Then boot into recovery and clear cache. Then reboot and install Nova Launcher as a system app then reboot. Then uninstall fire launcher. Just go to the private app folder and delete the folder with the contents inside of it and reboot. If none of that works, you'll have to flash stock firmware again and start over. You won't lose home button functionality so long as you install Nova Launcher first before uninstalling fire launcher.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

Thanks for the prompt reply! I tried to reinstall fire launcher as suggested (pm install -r /system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk) and even though it returns "Success", the launcher does not appear. I tried to enable and it also returns no error but no launcher. So I have to re-enable nova. I suspect that I may have removed a package needed by firelauncher in my debloating efforts.

Oh well, looks like I am stuck with Nova and no home button until I reflash system.img with fireflash and restart from scratch!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes