Successfully Changed Launcher to Nova Fire HD 10 (2017) 5.6.0.0

Search This thread

gizm0luvsu

May 21, 2006
So I have read tons of threads on changing the launcher not working. I just tried this and it worked flawlessly.

Here is how I have my Fire HD 10 (2017):
Fire os 5.6.00
I changed build.prop build no to 987654321 in order to stop ota but keep updating the amazon apps. ( works flawlessly )
installed root, busybox, xposed ( all working great)
set up kernel auditor to change my SELINUX to permissive on boot.
( I did not have launcher hijack on at all )

here is what i did to get it to work.

1. First install nova launcher as normal.
2. Connected to pc via adb and:
2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.
3.a pm enable com.teslacoilsw.launcher
you will see it say that the package has now been enabled

4. Then i ran this to disable fire launcher.
4.a pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher
you will then see that it says the new state is disabled

I hit the home button and poof it magically worked. I even rebooted and it worked directly after reboot as well. Home button works as it should and all the functions of the launcher work as well.

Hopefully this works for others.

Last edited:

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Wow, I'm glad this worked for you but you seem to have taken the very very long way with too much effort to accomplish this! You could accomplish all of this very easily even without root by following this thread: https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026

So I have read tons of threads on changing the launcher not working. I just tried this and it worked flawlessly.

Fire os 5.6.00
I changed build.prop build no to 987654321 in order to stop ota but keep updating the amazon apps. ( works flawlessly )

2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.

I hit the home button and poof it magically worked. I even rebooted and it worked directly after reboot as well. Home button works as it should and all the functions of the launcher work as well.

Last edited:

gizm0luvsu

May 21, 2006
Wow, I'm glad this worked for you but you seem to have taken the very very long way with too much effort to accomplish this! You could accomplish all of this very easily even without root by following this thread: https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026

I do not think you understand what exactly this does. If you have used launcher hijack there is a flicker when you hit the home screen. Not sure if that is still there with v3 but i know for a fact that on my hd8 its still there. This actually replaces firelauncher completely with a new launcher. That flicker drove me nuts.

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I do not think you understand what exactly this does. If you have used launcher hijack there is a flicker when you hit the home screen. Not sure if that is still there with v3 but i know for a fact that on my hd8 its still there. This actually replaces firelauncher completely with a new launcher. That flicker drove me nuts.

I know what that flicker is. The solution for that flicker (now that you are rooted) is simply this:

pm disable com.amazon.firelauncher

Which should be done only after Nova is up and running and selected as main launcher.

Last edited:

dondraper23

Feb 6, 2018

Fire os 5.6.00

2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.

This worked great for me! Thanks!

Fire os 5.6.00

2a. adb shell
2b. su
3. then I ran this.

You should install Nova as a system app. Then you get the Google Now page without having to install another apk. If you are going to keep Fire Launcher, but leave it disabled, add this line to your build prop, at the very bottom:
Code:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
This helps to keep your default launcher in memory for faster loading and performance.

dondraper23

Feb 6, 2018
You should install Nova as a system app. Then you get the Google Now page without having to install another apk. If you are going to keep Fire Launcher, but leave it disabled, add this line to your build prop, at the very bottom:
Code:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
This helps to keep your default launcher in memory for faster loading and performance.

DragonFire1024, all your posts are awesome!

pocketrussian

Jun 2, 2008
Hi,

I followed these instructions but instead of disabling the AMZ launcher, I uninstalled it (pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.firelauncher) on a rooted HD 10 with Nova launcher installed as system app. Unfortunately, I have lost the home button functionality. Is there a work-around to this?

Hi,

I followed these instructions but instead of disabling the AMZ launcher, I uninstalled it (pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.firelauncher) on a rooted HD 10 with Nova launcher installed as system app. Unfortunately, I have lost the home button functionality. Is there a work-around to this?

You have to go to the private app folder and manually reinstall fire launcher and reboot. Then uninstall Nova Launcher and reboot. Then boot into recovery and clear cache. Then reboot and install Nova Launcher as a system app then reboot. Then uninstall fire launcher. Just go to the private app folder and delete the folder with the contents inside of it and reboot. If none of that works, you'll have to flash stock firmware again and start over. You won't lose home button functionality so long as you install Nova Launcher first before uninstalling fire launcher.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

Reactions: rotorbudd and Hylex

pocketrussian

Jun 2, 2008
You have to go to the private app folder and manually reinstall fire launcher and reboot. Then uninstall Nova Launcher and reboot. Then boot into recovery and clear cache. Then reboot and install Nova Launcher as a system app then reboot. Then uninstall fire launcher. Just go to the private app folder and delete the folder with the contents inside of it and reboot. If none of that works, you'll have to flash stock firmware again and start over. You won't lose home button functionality so long as you install Nova Launcher first before uninstalling fire launcher.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I tried to reinstall fire launcher as suggested (pm install -r /system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk) and even though it returns "Success", the launcher does not appear. I tried to enable and it also returns no error but no launcher. So I have to re-enable nova. I suspect that I may have removed a package needed by firelauncher in my debloating efforts.

Oh well, looks like I am stuck with Nova and no home button until I reflash system.img with fireflash and restart from scratch!

Thanks for the prompt reply! I tried to reinstall fire launcher as suggested (pm install -r /system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk) and even though it returns "Success", the launcher does not appear. I tried to enable and it also returns no error but no launcher. So I have to re-enable nova. I suspect that I may have removed a package needed by firelauncher in my debloating efforts.

Oh well, looks like I am stuck with Nova and no home button until I reflash system.img with fireflash and restart from scratch!

Unfortunately that's the only way to fix it. Just remember if you're replacing an Amazon app with a Google or other app, you should always install them first. A lot less things break :p

Reactions: pocketrussian

Wall.swe

Feb 17, 2018
Thanks, this is great!

My Fire hd10 feel a lot snappier now, a lot fewer processes are running and my tablet has about 700 MB of RAM free all the time!

DefTaker

Jun 20, 2009
D'oh - lol, used the wrong file explorer...

Forgot I had Root Explorer (which I purchased eons ago)...ah, Nova is now a system app! :)

Now I gotta edit the build.prop.

Thank you both gizm0luvsu & DragonFire1024!

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonFire1024

Dankees

Dec 3, 2014
Can someone please help me?

I've gotten my Nova Launcher to work, but it still go3s back to the Amazon Fire launcher about 50% of the time...?

And, I don't fully understand how to get my widgets working? I don't understand the whole ADB instructions.

Can someone please help me?

I've gotten my Nova Launcher to work, but it still go3s back to the Amazon Fire launcher about 50% of the time...?

And, I don't fully understand how to get my widgets working? I don't understand the whole ADB instructions.

adb is a requirement for widgets to work on non rooted Amazon tablets. Unfortunately there's no way around that. For the fire launcher appearing, make sure the detect home button press is enabled in accessibility.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

Reactions: Dankees

Dankees

Dec 3, 2014
adb is a requirement for widgets to work on non rooted Amazon tablets. Unfortunately there's no way around that. For the fire launcher appearing, make sure the detect home button press is enabled in accessibility.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

It wasn't selected, nor was Nova Launcher.

Will that stop it from reverting back to Fire OS?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Fire os 5.6.00

2a. adb shell
    2b. su
    3. then I ran this.

Fire os 5.6.00

2a. adb shell
    2b. su
    3. then I ran this.

Code:
    ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
    Code:
    ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

DragonFire1024, all your posts are awesome!
    Hi,

Sorry i'm new in the Fire HD world. Arrived mine yesterday.

What do you mean with goes into the build prop? Can i write this in ADB or do i need something different? The command doesn't look like a normal adb command.

Thank you very much.

Download Build.prop Editor from the play store. open it and tap the icon that looks like a pencil. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Right under the last line of code, paste ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 and hit enter. Make sure there are always at least 2 empty lines at the very end of the last code entry. Then tap the save icon (disk) at the top of the app and reboot.