FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SCRIPT][MAC][WIN][LINUX] Install Google Play & Launcher Hijack

425 posts
Thanks Meter: 156

By pastorbennett, Senior Member on 6th December 2017, 04:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATE: Unfortunately, this won't disable OTA and the Lockscreen ads. I had an amazing stroke of luck that somehow, the uninstall command for OTA and the ads was successful on 2 of the 3 tablets I bought. With the third, it didn't take long for the ads to come back after disabling, so I spent the $15 to remove the ads. This script will still work to install Google Play Store and Launcher Hijack. Thanks to @Gilly10 and @BaronKiko for their work.

I put together this tool for my own personal use, and thought it would be helpful to many, so I'm sharing it here. I tested it both on macOS 10.13 and Windows 10 x64. I have not tested on Linux, though it should work. The only additional step you may need for Linux is to have a Linux specific ADB executable, though I would think the macOS ADB is the same.

First, I take no credit for any of this, aside from writing the script and putting together this guide, as everything here was compiled from information I found on other threads. I hope you find this useful.

Just a quick note, I ordered a 3 pack of the 2017 HD 8 tablets, and on two of them, I was able to fully uninstall Amazon OTA and Lockscreen without root access. On the third, though, I could only disable them. The end result should be the same. Also, it might be necessary to complete the initial setup of the tablet, including connecting to the internet, for this to fully work. Though this will update to FireOS 5.6.0.0, the script should work just fine, as I did the initial update on all 3 of my tablets. There is one caveat to this, however: the script may not work to disable OTA for future updates beyond 5.6.0.0. Additionally, some are reporting that the OTA is still enabled, even after the script executes. This may very well be possible, though I'm not able to test it at the moment. As a precaution, it's recommended that you install NoRoot Firewall and block the following apps:
Code:
com.amazon.device.software.ota
com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe.forced.ota
com.amazon.kindle.kso
When running this tool, the script will install the needed files for the Google Play Store, as well as Launcher Hijack. Then the script will disable the Amazon OTA and Lockscreen packages, followed by an attempt to uninstall OTA and Lockscreen. Also, I apologize for the image sizes, for some reason they're appearing larger than the actual size.

First, you'll need to prepare your Fire tablet before doing anything else.

Step 0: If you're running Windows, you'll need to first in stall the ADB driver (Fire_Devices ADB drivers.exe) included in the zip file. For Mac and Linux, ADB should work without any other requirements.

Step 1: Enable Developer Options. To do this, in Settings, navigate to the Device Options menu, scroll down and tap Serial Number 7 times.

Step 2: Enable ADB. After enabling Developer Options on the Device Options menu, navigate to the Developer Options menu and tick the "Enable ADB" option.

Step 3: Enable Apps from Unknown Sources. In Settings, navigate to the Security menu and tick the "Apps from Unknown Sources" option.

Step 4: Run the install script. For Windows, simply double-click on "install.bat." For both macOS and Linux variants, in the terminal, navigate to the folder where you unziped the tool, and run the following command:
Code:
sh install.sh
After the script completes successfully (you will probably get an error when the script attempts to uninstall the Amazon OTA and Lockscreen apps), you may chose to reboot your Kindle Fire at this point, though it isn't absolutely necessary.

Step 5: Run Google Play Store. At first, it may take a little patience. If you get a blank white screen, exit the app and try again. Once Google Play Store is set up with your Google account, you're ready for the next step.

Step 6: Install Launcher. Before you're able to have the option to enable the Home Button, you'll need to install a launcher from the Play Store. I prefer Nova Launcher, but of course, you're free to use whatever launcher you prefer. After installing a launcher, you'll need to open the launcher. IF YOU DON'T OPEN THE LAUNCHER AFTER INSTALLING, THE OPTION TO DETECT THE HOME BUTTON WILL BE UNAVAILABLE.

Step 7: Enable Detect Home Button Press. Open Settings and navigate to the Accessibility menu. Scroll down to Services, and tap the option "To detect home button press."

Step 8: Set Home Launcher. This step may be unnecessary, depending on what launcher you choose. If Launcher Hijack doesn't redirect home button presses to the new launcher you installed, you may need to open the Launcher Hijack app and select your launcher.

If you've done everything correctly, your Kindle Fire HD should feel almost just like any other Android tablet.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to pastorbennett For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pastorbennett Ad-Free

6th December 2017, 02:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is super - thanks for the tool and post
6th December 2017, 05:46 PM |#3  

More
Can we make this back? What if we want to get the amazon system/settings back?

And how we can change the Lock screen pics?

Third: Thank You very much! It works on HD 10 (2017).
6th December 2017, 07:51 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrombitas

Can we make this back? What if we want to get the amazon system/settings back?

And how we can change the Lock screen pics?

Third: Thank You very much! It works on HD 10 (2017).

Ok, answer myself:

1. To make this all back, simply restore factory defaults.
2. Lock screen: i made a factory restore, then didnt came the ads. So my lockscreen is now, what my wallpaper is.
3. Thanks again! Works perfect.
7th December 2017, 03:59 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Minnesota

More
Glad it's working for you guys. Yes, to restore original apps, simply do a factory reset.

Just out of curiosity, did the tool successfully uninstall the apps for anyone else?
7th December 2017, 06:17 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbennett

Just out of curiosity, did the tool successfully uninstall the apps for anyone else?

Yep, got it working on both a HD 10 and an HD 8, using Windows 7. Great script that should really be pinned, thanks.
7th December 2017, 11:39 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This works great! Thanks so much. I do feel I've become victim of a problem others have reported before - I signed in to the playstore with my own account vs letting the friend I'm gifting my Fire to do this. Any idea how I can safely sign out without having to reset the device and redo this entire process over?
8th December 2017, 12:36 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjado

This works great! Thanks so much. I do feel I've become victim of a problem others have reported before - I signed in to the playstore with my own account vs letting the friend I'm gifting my Fire to do this. Any idea how I can safely sign out without having to reset the device and redo this entire process over?

I would install your preferred launcher so that Launcher Hijack can detect the home button, then simply go into settings and delete the data for all the Google apps. You shouldn't have to uninstall any of the apps or wipe the device. If you want to be sure that clearing the data on the Google apps worked, the next time you run the Play Store, it should ask you to login.
8th December 2017, 01:17 AM |#9  

More
Did it this afternoon and was very happy to be able to avoid OTA Updates....until it just downloaded an update and installed it while charging. The command window said it was successful in disabling OTA updates but failed to delete. Up until today I have only connected it to a router with no internet access to avoid an update...too late now.

Yes I followed the instructions carefully and for clarification my 2017 HD8 (purchased black Friday) went form 5.4.0.1 to 5.6.0.0
8th December 2017, 03:50 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddubya

Did it this afternoon and was very happy to be able to avoid OTA Updates....until it just downloaded an update and installed it while charging. The command window said it was successful in disabling OTA updates but failed to delete. Up until today I have only connected it to a router with no internet access to avoid an update...too late now.

Yes I followed the instructions carefully and for clarification my 2017 HD8 (purchased black Friday) went form 5.4.0.1 to 5.6.0.0

No worries, just run the script after the update. I should have clarified in the initial post that you need to complete initial setup via internet on the tablet before running the script. All 3 of my 2017 HD 8 tablets were updated to 5.6.0.0 before I put together this script.

I'm guessing that there's something in the initial setup app that triggered an update somehow once the tablet was connected to the internet. I don't know enough about the underlying architecture of the FireOS to explain how the update came through.
8th December 2017, 04:09 AM |#11  

More
Figured as much so to be safe did a factory reset and went through the process again. I will keep updating this thread if more develops. If it stops the next update I will be very happy. It does still work fine at 5.6.0.0.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)