FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q&A/T] Amazon Fire 5th Gen [SuperTool] (Un/Official Help Thread for HD8/HD10)

13,533 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,839

By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 12th October 2016, 03:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
Specific to

Using
Amazon Fire 5th Gen [SuperTool] Root, Google play install, block ota updates and more by Tomsgt
with the HD 8 and HD 10

Click link here>> http://forum.xda-developers.com/amaz...-root-t3272695 <<Click link here

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help

It is always best to thank a ROM OP, in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

Please keep discussion focused, on the topic described in the OP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free

12th October 2016, 03:29 AM |#2  
Note: Only the 2015 Amazon Fire (7in) 5th Gen is Officially supported by the Supertool.
If you have used the Supertool, Please post your results here.

Options available (12 Oct 2016)
1. Adb/fastboot and root test
2. install Google play Store
3. Block OTA updates from Amazon (Requires Root)
4. Boot Device to Custom Recovery from adb (Requires FireOS 5.0.1 - 7in only)
5. Install FlashFire app or Xposed (Requires Root)
6. Root Your Amazon Fire 5th Gen
7. Change Stock Launcher to Nova or Back to Stock (Requires Root)
8. remove Lock Screen Ads (Requires Root)
9. Update Supertool Files

Working Options

Rooting (Kingroot)
5.3.1.0: Doesn't seem to work at this time - 11 Oct 2016
5.3.0.X: May work...
5.0.X - 5.1.X: Should be able to root
12th October 2016, 05:07 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Definitely been waiting for more information on customizations with the HD10. Had one in the box here waiting for more definitive success.
12th October 2016, 06:07 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
5th generation fire hd8 8gb here running 5.3.1.0

OTA updates shut off and GApps installed and working. Had lock screen ads shut off for a night but they came back...

No luck yet with root (of course) but willing to post results as software develops.
The Following User Says Thank You to pastapal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pastapal Ad-Free
12th October 2016, 10:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks for this thread. I have a new HD8 and unfortunately nothing (apart from the Google store) really works atm. Not the tools fault obviously, everything will probably work as soon as we get root.
The Following User Says Thank You to kamor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kamor Ad-Free
12th October 2016, 08:57 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Mine hasn't been turned on yet. . .so I don't know the OS level, but not sure if that helps with regards to getting root.
12th October 2016, 09:33 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello everyone,

im looking into buying a Fire HD8 (2016). I need it for writing some python code on the go, so I really need a proper ROM or at the very least Play Store. I know that the 2016 HD8 with v5.3.1.0 isnt rootable yet. How can I inform myself about the progress? Do we know that its still possible? I wouldnt like to buy the tablet just to find out that its the first one where amazon did some black magic and made it unusable for the task

So yeah any idea who is working on it, where, any information basically?
And another question: what kind of OS is the new HD 8 running? Is it again an android with some amazon launcher or did they release a full ROM?

Thanks for the support and all!
Regards
12th October 2016, 10:12 PM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbholm

Mine hasn't been turned on yet. . .so I don't know the OS level, but not sure if that helps with regards to getting root.

when you power it on, skip connecting to WiFi
then check system version
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
12th October 2016, 10:31 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by shcnex

Hello everyone,

im looking into buying a Fire HD8 (2016). I need it for writing some python code on the go, so I really need a proper ROM or at the very least Play Store. I know that the 2016 HD8 with v5.3.1.0 isnt rootable yet. How can I inform myself about the progress? Do we know that its still possible? I wouldnt like to buy the tablet just to find out that its the first one where amazon did some black magic and made it unusable for the task

So yeah any idea who is working on it, where, any information basically?
And another question: what kind of OS is the new HD 8 running? Is it again an android with some amazon launcher or did they release a full ROM?

Thanks for the support and all!
Regards

only ones that we know are actively working on rooting are the Kingroot team, they are mostly looking for general Android exploits, and don't really give ETAs

Playstore can be installed without rooting

replacement of Amazon launcher should be possible without rooting

Fire OS 5.X.X is a modified Android 5.X.X rom
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
12th October 2016, 10:53 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

replacement of Amazon launcher should be possible without rooting

That might be the best news I've heard, I'll give a shot tonight when my son is asleep, any place I should look for instructions?

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hd10, hd8, kfgiwi, kfmewi, kftbwi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)