FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

NO ROOT REQUIRED: Completely disable and enable your lock screen

3,663 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,366

Post Reply Email Thread
Many of us don't have root and many of us also uninstalled may system apps, including Fire Launcher. That left us with some annoyances. One major annoyance was being kicked to the lock screen whenever we swiped away apps from the recent apps menu. Some people saw annoying flashes. Well this isn't quite a fix, but it pretty much takes care of the problem. You can now remove your lock screen completely and replace it at will and you do NOT need root access.

***WARNING: Touching any other settings on your tablet during this guide can cause a brick!!!***

1. Download and install Settings Database Editor.

2. Plug your tablet into your PC and open an ADB window. Enter the following:
Code:
adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
Step number 2 MUST be done in order for this to work.

3. Open Settings Database Editor and tap on the 'secure' tab at the top.

4. These settings are in alphabetical order. Scroll until you see:
Code:
"lockscreen_disabled"    "0"
5. Change the 0 to a 1. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE

6. Close Settings Database Editor

Now turn off your screen. Now turn it back on. You are welcome! I have a few more tricks coming. Watch for some later!

IF THE ABOVE DOESN'T WORK, TO DISABLE LOCK SCREEN:
Code:
adb shell settings put secure lockscreen_disabled 1
ENABLE LOCK SCREEN:
Code:
adb shell settings put secure lockscreen_disabled 0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonFire1024 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonFire1024 Ad-Free

23rd January 2018, 09:42 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Both methods don´t work on my Fire HD10 2017.
23rd January 2018, 11:19 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommes-d

Both methods don´t work on my Fire HD10 2017.

It worked almost instantly for me. Maybe wait a bit? Did you reboot? It won't work on every device. Doesn't work on my Galaxy S7.
24th January 2018, 07:30 AM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 796

Donate to Me
More
Not working for me too (Fire HD 8 2016). Also, you've made a mistake: original setting name is "lockscreen.disabled" (dot, not an underscore).
The Following User Says Thank You to sensboston For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2018, 12:16 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston

Not working for me too (Fire HD 8 2016). Also, you've made a mistake: original setting name is "lockscreen.disabled" (dot, not an underscore).

Disappointing. Today I got a good one though. I can't wait to get home and post a thread.
24th January 2018, 09:27 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 63

Donate to Me
More
I know this isn't the correct forum for this but I tried this on a Fire 7 (2017) and it also does not seem to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwiksi1ver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kwiksi1ver Ad-Free
18th March 2018, 01:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
is there an updated way to do this?
is there an updated way to do this?

edit: kindle fire 8 7th gen, confirmed not working.
18th March 2018, 04:05 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Doesn't work on my Fire HD8. But while browsing through Settings Database Editor I have found something useful.

In the "Global Table" tab there's a setting called LOCKSCREEN_AD_ENABLED. Change the value from 1 to 0, save. Turn off screen, turn it on again --> ads are gone!

At least for a while...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobean For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobean Ad-Free
18th March 2018, 08:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Seems to be working on KFAUWI (Fire 7 7th Gen) on 5.4.0.0.

EDIT: Maybe it doesn't work with 5.4.0.1 and later?

It would be useful for those reporting success/failure to include not just device model, but fw version as well.

EDIT1: After some time playing around the system I have found out that by default it actually does not work, but if Global Table->"device_provisioned" = 0 then lock screen gets disabled, but serial number gets greyed out and developer options get disabled, while adb remains functional.

On 5.6.0.0 even change to "device_provisioned" did not disable the lock screen.
19th March 2018, 03:56 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabosius

Seems to be working on KFAUWI (Fire 7 7th Gen) on 5.4.0.0.

EDIT: Maybe it doesn't work with 5.4.0.1 and later?

It would be useful for those reporting success/failure to include not just device model, but fw version as well.

There are settings in the "private" class that override some of these lower ones, usually in favor their using their own software. I think most device stock settings are hidden for the purpose of favoring their own software. Though with Amazon, I scratch my head. Why spend the large amount of money, to install a high tech, customizable GPS system on devices, only to spend more money carelessly blocking your Access?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs
19th March 2018, 12:43 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFire1024

There are settings in the "private" class that override some of these lower ones, usually in favor their using their own software. I think most device stock settings are hidden for the purpose of favoring their own software. Though with Amazon, I scratch my head. Why spend the large amount of money, to install a high tech, customizable GPS system on devices, only to spend more money carelessly blocking your Access?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

That's fairly simple, the same goes for one of the iPhones (don't recall which gen exactly) which had two different models of radio chips, one of which did support LTE, but Apple decided to disable LTE support for that gen of the phone altogether.

Now more on the topic, checked the specs of all 7th gen tablets, indeed none of them seem to support GPS officially (for some reason I thought that HD8/HD10 might have it), but if they have the hw, it could be for testing purposes to test proprietary GPS related sw on development devices before introducing it in the next gen? Or simply they decided to drop it somewhere along the way but left the hardware (as we still have Serial/UART on some production devices nowadays, which are used only for debugging in the development stage).

On the other hand, where did you get the info that it actually has GPS related hardware? Because while exploring my device settings I only found a hint on A-GPS support (which is not proven).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)