838 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,039

By diplomatic, Senior Member on 26th February 2019, 02:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th April 2019, 11:43 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
dear Friends
I root my fire hd 8 7th gen successfully but i wont ask that there is any lineage rom for this device???

7th April 2019, 04:59 AM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlessster

dear Friends
I root my fire hd 8 7th gen successfully but i wont ask that there is any lineage rom for this device???

First find a way to unlock the bootloader (;
7th April 2019, 04:10 PM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
HD10 updated to 5.6.4.0
Just FYI, I had neglected to turn off OTA updates after rooting my HD10 2017 a couple weeks back. Amazon pushed out an update so now on 5.6.4.0 so lost root but was able to re-root again using this method. Will be turning off OTA now.
The Following User Says Thank You to geddy3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift geddy3 Ad-Free
7th April 2019, 05:39 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi there,
I've managed to get root access, but how do I install SuperSU now? I tried to copy the files over to system/bin, but the SuperSU app doesn't start.
Which permissions must be set?
Thanks in advance
8th April 2019, 02:18 AM |#505  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Release 10 posted
I've just uploaded R10, which includes better support for Oreo devices and kernels compiled with strong stack protection, such as on Nokia phones. It's also much more reliable in getting root and changing selinux due to retrying the unreliable steps multiple times. Let me know if anything's broken for previously supported devices.

Needs testing on 32-bit kernel devices
I've included a binary that runs on 32-bit (armv7) kernels, which is the one in armv7-kernel. But it is not "activated" yet, meaning it will print text but not change anything in your device. Since I can't test it myself, at this stage it would be more likely to destabilize your OS than give you root. I need people to post its output so I can make proper support for those kernels. In the future, I'll probably combine that binary and the arm one into one executable. Thanks!

Note for testing: If it hangs for more than a few seconds, just press Ctrl+C to close it. If it doesn't want to close, then restart your device.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
8th April 2019, 03:33 AM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

I've just uploaded R10, which includes better support for Oreo devices and kernels compiled with stack protection, such as on Nokia phones. It's also much more reliable in getting root and changing selinux due to retrying the unreliable steps multiple times.

Needs testing on 32-bit kernel devices
I've included a binary that runs on 32-bit (armv7) kernels, which is the one in armv7-kernel. But it is not "activated" yet, meaning it will print output but not change anything on your system. Since I can't test it myself, it would be more likely to destabilize your device than give you root. I need people to post the output so I can make proper support for those kernels. In the future, I'll probably combine that binary and the arm one into one executable. Thanks!

Note for testing: If it hangs for more than a few seconds, just press Ctrl+C to close it. If it doesn't want to close, then restart your device.

@diplomatic
I happened to just download R10, it failed a couple times before I went back to an older version on my PC(R7). I didn't realize that you had a posted a version just now or I would have posted before using R7.

R10 - HD10 2017: tablet reboot after finish running ./mtk-su -v

[email protected]:/data/local/tmp $ ./mtk-su -v
param1: 0x3000, param2: 0x10000, type: 9
Building symbol table
kallsyms_addresses pa 0x40aa4600
kallsyms_num_syms 66781, addr_count 66781
kallsyms_names pa 0x40b26e00, size 832778
kallsyms_markers pa 0x40bf2400
kallsyms_token_table pa 0x40bf2d00
kallsyms_token_index pa 0x40bf3100
Patching credentials
init_task VA: 0xffffffc000e3a960
Possible list_head tasks at offset 0x368
0xffffffc020120368 0xffffffc046de5f68 0x000000000000008c
comm offset 0x5d8 comm: swapper/0
Found own task_struct at node 0
real_cred VA: 0xffffffc02b20a980
Parsing sel_read_enforce
Stack protection detected
ffffffc00027ef40+10: ADRP x19, 0xffffffc000f2b000
ffffffc00027ef40+24: LDR [x19, 200]
selinux_enforce VA: 0xffffffc000f2b0c8
Setting selinux_enforce
Switched selinux to permissive
Trying this again...
Trying this again...
New UID/GID: 0/0
starting /system/bin/sh
[email protected]:/data/local/tmp
The Following User Says Thank You to fortis91 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fortis91 Ad-Free
8th April 2019, 03:57 AM |#507  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortis91

@diplomatic
I happened to just download R10, it failed a couple times before I went back to an older version on my PC(R7). I didn't realize that you had a posted a version just now or I would have posted before using R7.

R10 - HD10 2017: tablet reboot after finish running ./mtk-su -v

Oh, thanks for letting me know right away, @fortis91. It looks like this release is broken, so I pulled it for now. It falsely detects stack protection when there is none. Please keep using R9.
8th April 2019, 04:45 AM |#508  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
OK, R10 reuploaded and hopefully fixed. Please check, @fortis91.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
8th April 2019, 04:50 AM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4y0z

Just tested on HD10, still works very well and much faster (both arm and arm64).

What device do you have and what android-version?
If you have dm-verity you shouldn't remount system.

I have an ASUS Zenfone Max 3 (ZC520TL). I do get uid=0 (root) and a Permissive kernel so I know that the temporary root works. The only problem is I can't write SU binaries to /System as it can't be remounted to rw. How could I know if I have a dm-verity? I know that this is not really an Amazon device though I do have a Fire HD 8 2017 and successfully rooted it with this method.
8th April 2019, 05:03 AM |#510  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@mobaddict, good to know mtk-su works on that phone. You can check what's mounted on /system with
mount | grep /system
If the line says something like /dev/block/dm-0, then it's dm-verity. You can also open the fstab.mtxxxx file located in your root directory and see if there's a 'verify' flag in the line that mounts /system. But even without checking, that is probably the reason you can't remount the partition. That's a decently recent phone. Most of them do have it enabled...
The Following User Says Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
8th April 2019, 05:20 AM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

@mobaddict, good to know mtk-su works on that phone. You can check what's mounted on /system with
mount | grep /system
If the line says something like /dev/block/dm-0, then it's dm-verity. You can also open the fstab.mtxxxx file located in your root directory and see if there's a 'verify' flag in the line that mounts /system. But even without checking, that is probably the reason you can't remount the partition. That's a decently recent phone. Most of them do have it enabled...

Hi @diplomatic thanks for the information and I'm confirming the this phone indeed has dm-verity. Sadly the bootloader is locked for this so I can't do anything about it. Thank you for the exploit. Just confirming that it works on this phone. Good work on this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fire hd 10, fire hd 8, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)