Most of my hacks for the HD 10 are spread out around several threads. That makes it hard to keep everyone updated when I find or create new goodies. It also makes it hard for users to find these goodies. This thread aims to solve that problem. From now on, I will include, if possible, my tricks and hacks in this thread. This aims to make searching for and installing these modifications quick and simple.
I have created a flash zip that installs all my goodies and hacks I have come up with so far. I just need so others to test it and make sure the installation process works and everything that is installed works. So please report back your findings so I can remove test from the thread.
***IIf this zip doesn't work or if it fails the worst that can happen is you will have to flash back to fresh stock and start all over and re-root. So make note of your Fire OS version before installing this zip. I am not responsible for anything that doesn't work. If you install this zip, you are doing so at your own risk.***
This zip does NOT contain the Google Play Store. By installing this zip, I assume you already have it installed. ViPER4Android requires an extra step or two and SELinux switch. See below.
- HD 10 with Fire OS 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168
- Rooted with Xposed installed and Flash Fire functioning properly. See here to get it up and running.
What this zip includes:
- *ALL* of my framework-res mods including WiFi and location service optimizations.
- My rewritten Settings.apk which also includes all of my mods.
- Stock Basic Dreams and Photo Table screensaver. This was one of my goals when I first signed up on XDA. I knew what needed to be done to get this to work, I just didn't know how. Finally after nearly 4 to 6 months of reading and testing, I was finally able to edit the framework-res.apk to bring you this and other features. I also had to track down a working Basic Dreams and Photo Table APK. That was half the battle. Go to settings -> display settings -> Daydream. You can choose colors, clock or set some custom photos in Photo Table. Tap three dots in upper right to decide when Daydream turns on. (Note: Photo table requires your images be placed in internal storage in the 'Pictures' folder).
- Google Calendar (assuming you have deleted Amazon's calendar).
- DeskClock latest update and APK for Google Clock (assuming you deleted Amazon's clock).
- Google Contacts Sync Adapter (Once installed, you can delete Amazon's contact sync adapter as seen here. Also for non-root users). This allows for a small amount of visual customization when you pull down the notification bar. When you customize your profile in Google Contacts (also included in this zip) with a photo, the icon in the notification panel will change to whatever you upload as your contacts photo.
- Google Contacts (requires sync adapter listed above).
- Google TTS. You can delete PicoTTS in /system/app once Google TTS is installed. It's very outdated. You can also delete both of the Ivona folders in /system/priv-app. Best to delete app data for all three before deleting.
- Latin IME (AOSP replacement for stock keyboard. Will only work when you delete Amazon's keyboard (com.amazon.redstone), any other keyboard you have installed, then perform a factory reset without installing a new one.
- Stock Android Marshmallow boot animation. The zip replaces the bootanimation binary file in /system/bin/bootanimation with one from from @ggow custom ROM for the Fire 7. Amazon had modified the stock bootanimation binary to force the gold 'fire' boot animation. Doing this made it impossible to customize the boot animation. So I replaced it under the assumption the Fire 7 ROM binary is from an AOSP build and is pretty much universal among most custom ROMs. And it worked!
- Gallery3d. Replaces Amazon Photos (You have to delete Amazon Photos on your own) with library injection so it is fully featured. You can edit all images with a full stock of editing options. (does not set lock screen wallpaper. To change lock screen wallpaper, see here. Requires root). I was able to find the APK and libraries in this thread. The flash zip there doesn't work for our devices so I modified the APK to be more tablet friendly, allowing for scrolling and viewing in landscape mode then added the relevant files to this zip. In the APK, I removed the options for a settings menu, because it doesn't function, but the library does a great job at making up for the loss of it.
- CM Browser. I was able to port over this APK along with CM File Manager, CM Wallpapers, Lock Clock and Trebuchet from an official CM Lollipop ROM for the Amazon HD 8.9.
- CM File Manager (Can replace your favorite root explorer).
- CM Wallpapers. Cyanogenmod actually had a few good wallpapers. I wish they had made their own live ones though.
- CM Lock Clock with weather. (Yahoo weather doesn't function. Use Open Weather and set update interval to 30mins).
- Trebuchet Launcher with basic launcher settings. (You have to delete fire launcher on your own for this to take effect. /system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher)
- Google Calculator (assuming you deleted Amazon's)
- Stock Android Live Wallpapers and Live Wallpaper Picker (doesn't include Androids add on wallpapers. For all of Android's stock live wallpaper add ons and stock wallpaper images, see this thread.
What this zip DOES NOT include or do:
- Google Play store is NOT installed. It is best advised to do this manually. Even flashing Gapps doesn't stop you from needing to tweak Secure Settings a little bit.
- Does not delete or remove any files or folders. It does however overwrite some. The framework-res, FireTabletSettings and bootanimation files will all be overwritten.
- Not yet a custom ROM, but it's close.
-Build.prop edits are not included. My WiFi optimizations and ViPER4Android need a few tweaks. Please see the 'build.prop' section below for details.
NOTE: If you only wish to install certain packages or tweaks such as ViPER4Android, see instructions below installation guide.
1. Simply place the DragonMods.zip into internal storage.
2. Open Flash Fire and tap the '+' and select Wipe.
3. Make sure ONLY Dalvik Cache and Cache Partition are selected and tap the check mark in the upper right of the pop-up.
4. Tap the '+' again and tap 'Flash Zip or OTA'
5. From internal storage, select my zip package DragonMods.zip.
6. Tap FLASH and wait for everything to happen. This will take upwards of 10 minutes or more, depending on many variables so be very patient.
Install only select packages:
1. Place DragonMods.zip on your PC desktop. For this I use 7zip for Windows. Right click on the zip file and select 7-zip and open as archive.
2. Double click on system folder then double click on the folder you you want to delete. Example: If you do not want to install my framework-res APK, delete the framework folder. If you don't want CM Browser, delete that folder.
3. Once you are happy with your custom installation, replace the zip on your tablet's internal storage and follow installation instructions above.
I have not included this in my zip for a few reasons. The foremost one being it requires you to delete a couple key files so I would rather you make the choice yourself rather than me doing it for you. I confirm it is full operational and functional and doesn't force close once installed properly. If you aren't convinced, just activate the notification.
1. Download the V4A22.214.171.124 Lollipop.zip provided at the Google Drive link below or go to this thread and download it. Make sure Selinux switch is installed, set to permissive with notification enabled. Also make sure BusyBox is installed.
2. On your tablet, go to /vendor or /system/vendor and tap etc.
3. Back up both of the audio files, audio_effects.conf and audio_policy.conf then delete them from the folder
4. Go to storage -> downloads and tap on the V4A126.96.36.199 Lollipop.zip, system, etc, and extract the two .conf files.
5. Go to the folder they were extracted into and copy both of them to /system/etc, overwriting the ones that are located there. Set the permissions (rw-r--r--) and reboot.
6. Go to downloads again, tap the V4A188.8.131.52 Lollipop.zip and system, app and extract the APK.
7. Create a folder in /system/app titled 'ViPER4Android'. Rename the APK 'ViPER4Android.apk' and paste it into the folder.
8. Set folder permission rwxr-xr-x, APK permission rw-r--r-- and reboot.
9. Open App and follow instructions. Tap upper right for menu and set UI to expert.
1. ViPER4Android needs a few tweaks to the build prop. If these variables and values already exist in your build.prop, please change them to the ones below. You can use Build Prop Editor or a root file explorer to make the edit:
Ipa.decode=false tunnel.decode=false lpa.use-stagefright=false
wifi rssi->bar thresholds persist.wifi.rssi.thresholds=-84,-75,-66,-55
DragonMods.zip (the main zip you need) - Current as of November 16, 2018
DragonMods5-6-2-0.zip (for users on FireOS 184.108.40.206)
That's all for now. This includes pretty much every hack, trick and tweak I have been able to achieve on these tablets so far. I hope you enjoy all of these and watch out for more of my hacks. Thank you everyone for making all of this possible! Don't forget to hit the thank button
- November 22, 2018: Updated links to reflect the following: Fixed issue with Trebuchet launcher missing from zip by readding it to the folder. I don't know How I missed that. Replaced google Clock with correct APK. I meant to put in the DeskClock available from the Play Store. If anyone would like a zip containing the CM/AOSP DeskClock that changes colors as the day and night change, let me know and I will upload the APK. The reason for this mess: I used the wrong zip template I have for this package. The one with the mess was intended for my personal device. My apologies.