FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery][BKL][EMUI 8.x][Unofficial]TWRP 3.2.1-0 working recovery from View 10

333 posts
Thanks Meter: 162
 
By PeterMarkoff, Senior Member on 2nd June 2018, 01:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Backup your stock recovery per this post. If you are too lazy, I can upload my backup from .104 build (C432) to Mega.

Download twrp_bkl_0.7.img from this post and place it in same directory with your ADB.

After successful backup as precaution disable any locks like pattern/PIN/password/fingerprint, reboot to bootloader (fastboot):
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Then flash new TWRP recovery:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_bkl_0.7.img
After successful flash reboot device and immediately after confirming command below unplug USB cable and HOLD and keep holding VOLUME UP button, if you won't the new recovery will be overwritten by stock and you can try again.
Code:
fastboot reboot
Tested by myself on Honor 10 8.1.0.104 (C432) with unlocked bootloader and installed already Magisk 16.4 with Magisk manager 5.7.0, Magisk ramdisk persisted after installing TWRP recovery, system boots normal.

Next step after unlocking BL, installing Magisk, installing TWRP recovery -> flashing GSI AOSP, LOS or RR. Only reason I bothered with installing TWRP was that GSI image of LOS and RR don't include opengapps, only AOSP does, so without TWRP you can't have opengapps with these two GSI ROMS.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PeterMarkoff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PeterMarkoff Ad-Free
 
 
2nd June 2018, 02:58 PM |#2  
awells845's Avatar
Honor Supporter
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMarkoff

Backup your stock recovery per this post. If you are too lazy, I can upload my backup from .104 build (C432) to Mega.

Download twrp_bkl_0.7.img from this post and place it in same directory with your ADB.

After successful backup as precaution disable any locks like pattern/PIN/password/fingerprint, reboot to bootloader (fastboot):

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Then flash new TWRP recovery:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_bkl_0.7.img
After successful flash reboot device and immediately after confirming command below unplug USB cable and HOLD and keep holding VOLUME UP button, if you won't the new recovery will be overwritten by stock and you can try again.
Code:
fastboot reboot
Tested by myself on Honor 10 8.1.0.104 (C432) with unlocked bootloader and installed already Magisk 16.4 with Magisk manager 5.7.0, Magisk ramdisk persisted after installing TWRP recovery, system boots normal.

Next step after unlocking BL, installing Magisk, installing TWRP recovery -> flashing GSI AOSP, LOS or RR. Only reason I bothered with installing TWRP was that GSI image of LOS and RR don't include opengapps, only AOSP does, so without TWRP you can't have opengapps with these two GSI ROMS.

Nice work. 😊
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awells845 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift awells845 Ad-Free
3rd June 2018, 12:38 AM |#3  
Honor Enthusiast
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
tried to install GSI RR OS, but ending in bootloop, also even after resizing system partition to maximum (TWRP / wipe / resize) opengapps still showing error 70 about insufficient space (which makes no sense, so they really seem to have wrong detection of A/B instead of A for Huawei/Honor devices), though these gzr gapps seem to install successfuly, now if I could figure out the damn bootloop

potential reasons for bootloop - previously installed magisk, wiped also system not only data/cache, installed through fastboot while TWRP there and not only stock recovery, ???

edit: i guess will try flash GSI through TWRP again, quite a waste time to wait each time like 9-10 minutes to find out it can't boot

edit 2: so even flashing through TWRP doesn't help, just stuck on android animation for 10 minutes and then it restarts (and even if you do fatory reset through huawei erecovery it doesnt change anything). maybe can try to restore everything and not wipe system before installing, just factory reset through TWRP (though I remember I read somewhere it's not reliable and it is better to do it through system, but I think that one wipe also internal storage which I wanna avoid)? back to rooted EMUI with TWRP for now, don't have time to try various combinations

edit 3: flashing over TWRP backup without wiping system doesn't help, so it seem it's gonna be magisk or replaced stock recovery i guess, otherwise no idea
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterMarkoff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PeterMarkoff Ad-Free
3rd June 2018, 07:08 AM |#4  
Honor Enthusiast
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
BTW the lack of feedback here and trying from other users it's very depressing. they boasted million phone sales and i am the only one in the whole world trying to install TWRP and GSI ROM on this phone?
3rd June 2018, 07:43 AM |#5  
Honor Supporter
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 816
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMarkoff

BTW the lack of feedback here and trying from other users it's very depressing. they boasted million phone sales and i am the only one in the whole world trying to install TWRP and GSI ROM on this phone?

Don't be disappointed the lack of feedback from users is not many power users have got their hands on this model.
And also we are having different builds.
From the day one I am trying to rebrand my device but no success .

Once I have rebranded to EU I will try and let you know.
Did you flash open gapps nano package through twrp in gsi image?
Did it give you the same error?
3rd June 2018, 09:43 AM |#6  
Honor Enthusiast
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
tried just pico opengapps as on all phones i flash, that's the smallest, but always end up with error 70 not enough space despite resized system partition in TWRP and many GB available, the other unofficial GZR zero gapps build i mentioned seem to be flashed successful in TWRP, but in any case no luck with booting
3rd June 2018, 11:16 AM |#7  
Honor Supporter
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 816
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMarkoff

tried just pico opengapps as on all phones i flash, that's the smallest, but always end up with error 70 not enough space despite resized system partition in TWRP and many GB available, the other unofficial GZR zero gapps build i mentioned seem to be flashed successful in TWRP, but in any case no luck with booting

Did you format your phone before trying GSI ?
Try formatting phone and remove some system apps and then flash gapps it will mostly solve the problem.
3rd June 2018, 11:50 AM |#8  
Honor Supporter
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMarkoff

BTW the lack of feedback here and trying from other users it's very depressing. they boasted million phone sales and i am the only one in the whole world trying to install TWRP and GSI ROM on this phone?

Don't be upset – e.g. I didn't receive my Honor 10 yet. You won't be the only one for sure, you're just the first one to do it, which is super nice for others because it motivates them to do so as well!

Just wondering: does it make a difference for TWRP wether I own the 6gb or 4gb version?
3rd June 2018, 12:32 PM |#9  
Honor Enthusiast
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miststudent2011

Did you format your phone before trying GSI ?
Try formatting phone and remove some system apps and then flash gapps it will mostly solve the problem.

I did factory reset (data, both cache) and also wiped system partition, gapps would be the least issue, as I said that GZR should work, but my system doesn't boot, no matter how times I wipe everything through TWRP or stock recovery after flashing system.img, since they say it's normal to hang at first boot and then wipe and then it should boot, but it doesn't work for me. also of course tried to power off phone since some people said it helps to do it after flashing. what I haven't done it's fastboot -w which should be some better wipe. some people say also you should remove magisk ramdisk, though I forgot to back up original, backed up just stock recovery. and also I haven't tried to flash everything with stock recovery, though first flash I did was through fastboot anyway and not through TWRP and it didn't make difference

so last few things left to try:
- fastboot -w for total wipe of data (better than TWRP? though it should be same as Format data in TWRP which wipe everything including internal storage which I wanna avoid since backing up 15GB TWRP backup file it's kinda annoying and my system has problem to do it)
- flash with stock recovery (I have backup, no big deal)
- remove magisk ramdisk and flash with stock ramdisk (forgot to make backup, can't replace)

though I am tired of it for now, spend last night like 4 hours dealing with it until 2AM and I also need to take care of children

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollkornbaguette

Don't be upset – e.g. I didn't receive my Honor 10 yet. You won't be the only one for sure, you're just the first one to do it, which is super nice for others because it motivates them to do so as well!

Just wondering: does it make a difference for TWRP wether I own the 6gb or 4gb version?

I don't think RAM has something to do with anything, but that sounds like Chinese version since EU has always 4GB and only difference is storage, so you will have different ROM
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterMarkoff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PeterMarkoff Ad-Free
3rd June 2018, 12:57 PM |#10  
Honor Supporter
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMarkoff

(...)
so last few things left to try:
- fastboot -w for total wipe of data (better than TWRP?)
- flash with stock recovery (I have backup, no big deal)
- remove magisk ramdisk and flash with stock ramdisk (forgot to make backup, can't replace)

So I just read more about the GSI/Treble stuff and it said somewhere that modifications like Magisk probably lead to problems with the GSI flash.
Which is why I would try to get rid of the magisk ramdisk first.
I'm not an expert in this at all but maybe this helps.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMarkoff

I don't think RAM has something to do with anything, but that sounds like Chinese version since EU has always 4GB and only difference is storage, so you will have different ROM

Indeed I bought the chinese 6gb RAM Version (hope this won't turn out as a big mistake)
3rd June 2018, 01:03 PM |#11  
Honor Enthusiast
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollkornbaguette

So I just read more about the GSI/Treble stuff and it said somewhere that modifications like Magisk probably lead to problems with the GSI flash.

"Your device is free of any heavy modifications such as the

yeah, now if someone could extract for me from 0.104 firmware for C432 that stock ramdisk, because I have some problems with mega to download it and I just need the stock ramdisk, nothing else, I have stock recovery backup but forgot to make ramdisk backup

edit: completely forgot there is option to "Completely uninstall" in Magisk manager, so tried it though even after restart with magisk manager missing i could still use root apps, so not sure how exactly this "complete uninstall" works, but anyway giving it a try after this and wiping data, installed system.img again, again wiped, rebooted and as usual loading and loading and nothing, seem can't further continue without copy of stock ramdisk to flash, tried downloading the big update from mega to extract it but it always fail for me to download, same with trying to copy my TWRP backup because for sure ain't gonna doi fastboot -w and setting up everything from scratch in case even this doesn't help, if I knew it works for sure and it will load new system which I will have to set up then no problem, but in this case...

edit 2: tried to replace magisk ramdisk with ramdisk from Honor View 10 BKL09 (same as our working TWRP) but it seem I end up after flashing it, wiping and flashing system.img in TWRP/erecovery bootloop, it's not showing android booting logo like before (but hey at least no need to wait 10 minutes to find it's fail) and either go to huawei ercovery, if I perform factory reset there then it boots to TWRP, but can't boot anywhere else besides these two
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes