- Applicable for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
- Similar steps are applicable for EMUI 4.X as well but TWRP file will change.
Saw many user on Honor 5C FB page and on XDA struggling to get root working on EMUI 5. most of the cases I saw, were for EMUI 5.X. I followed the steps mentioned or as applicable for any devices and I did not face any issue so though of compiling this guide for new users who may have faced issue or not able to root the phone. (may be mainly because of correct and working TWRP issue) . I will just simplify the steps so that any new users can do this without any problem and without any prior experience to rooting, it may be long but will be the simple enough for all the users.
Enable the developer option in settings-
- Go to Settings--> About Phone-->Tab build number 7 times to enable this setting.
- Go back in setting page, just above system update, you will see a new menu as -Developer Options
- Scroll for the debugging section and enable the USB Debugging
- You will be prompted for the confirmation with RSA key, just accept it.
- Enable OEM Unlock in Developer Options (just above the USB debugging option) – Most probably this option will not be there on EMUI 5.0 (only few have seen on EMUI but it was there on EMUI 4.1 for all but rarely on EMUI 5.0 or may be because I have used dload most of the time which grayed out this)
Installation of required Drivers.
- Connect your phone to PC and install Hi Suite on PC and it will additionally install all the necessary drivers to PC and HiSUite on Mobile.
- Download and Install ADB from Link
- Accept all the prompts and install ADB drive system wise.
- Once installation is completed, if default options are chosen, it will be under C:\adb
Downloading the necessary files.
- Download TWRP from Link Thanks to @OldDroid for his Original Thread . Rest of the contributor and credit in original thread by OldDroid.
- Move the downloaded file under C:\adb or wherever you have installed the ADB.
- Download the SuperSU file from this Link and put it in SD card or keep handy on PC so that you can copy to internal memory later.
Get the unlock as mentioned in this thread
Unlocking the bootloader-
- Backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset the device and all your data will be erased.
- On windows machine, go to folder C:\adb or wherever you installed the adb drivers.
- Press shift+right click together and select Open command prompt here
- Run - adb reboot bootloader (this command may prompt for acceptance of RSA key if not already accepted)
- This will boot the phone into bootloader mode.
- Run - fastboot oem unlock <16 digit unlock code- Put your actual code you obtained from Huawei site > (This step will unlock the bootloader and will erase all your data)
- Phone will restart automatically.
- Once on the system, open the PowerShell or command prompt again in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
- Run - adb reboot bootloader
- Once in bootloader, Run - fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-venus.img (This will install the TWRP recovery for EMUI 5.0 on your phone)
- Once done with the flashing the TWRP, Run - fastboot reboot
- Once booted to system, open the PowerShell or command prompt in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
- Run - adb reboot recovery
- And your phone will boot into the TWRP recovery.
- Copy the SuperU file downloaded to SD card or Internal memory.
- Install the SuperSU zip.
Reboot and enjoy.