[GUIDE] Root Huawei Honor 5C and install TWRP custom recovery (EMUI 5.X)

Search This thread

shashank1320

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2015
Delhi
Did not find any post mentioning rooting for 5C on EMUI. If there are any, let me know and I will take down this thread.

Note-
  • Applicable for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
  • Similar steps are applicable for EMUI 4.X as well but TWRP file will change.

Saw many user on Honor 5C FB page and on XDA struggling to get root working on EMUI 5. most of the cases I saw, were for EMUI 5.X. I followed the steps mentioned or as applicable for any devices and I did not face any issue so though of compiling this guide for new users who may have faced issue or not able to root the phone. (may be mainly because of correct and working TWRP issue) . I will just simplify the steps so that any new users can do this without any problem and without any prior experience to rooting, it may be long but will be the simple enough for all the users.

Prerequisites-
Enable the developer option in settings-
  • Go to Settings--> About Phone-->Tab build number 7 times to enable this setting.
  • Go back in setting page, just above system update, you will see a new menu as -Developer Options
  • Scroll for the debugging section and enable the USB Debugging
  • You will be prompted for the confirmation with RSA key, just accept it.
  • Enable OEM Unlock in Developer Options (just above the USB debugging option) – Most probably this option will not be there on EMUI 5.0 (only few have seen on EMUI but it was there on EMUI 4.1 for all but rarely on EMUI 5.0 or may be because I have used dload most of the time which grayed out this)

Installation of required Drivers.
  • Connect your phone to PC and install Hi Suite on PC and it will additionally install all the necessary drivers to PC and HiSUite on Mobile.
  • Download and Install ADB from Link
  • Accept all the prompts and install ADB drive system wise.
  • Once installation is completed, if default options are chosen, it will be under C:\adb

Downloading the necessary files.
  • Download TWRP from Link Thanks to @OldDroid for his Original Thread . Rest of the contributor and credit in original thread by OldDroid.
  • Move the downloaded file under C:\adb or wherever you have installed the ADB.
  • Download the SuperSU file from this Link and put it in SD card or keep handy on PC so that you can copy to internal memory later.

Get the unlock as mentioned in this thread

Actual Procedure
Unlocking the bootloader-
  • Backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset the device and all your data will be erased.
  • On windows machine, go to folder C:\adb or wherever you installed the adb drivers.
  • Press shift+right click together and select Open command prompt here
  • Run - adb reboot bootloader (this command may prompt for acceptance of RSA key if not already accepted)
  • This will boot the phone into bootloader mode.
  • Run - fastboot oem unlock <16 digit unlock code- Put your actual code you obtained from Huawei site > (This step will unlock the bootloader and will erase all your data)
  • Phone will restart automatically.

Installing TWRP
  • Once on the system, open the PowerShell or command prompt again in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • Run - adb reboot bootloader
  • Once in bootloader, Run - fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-venus.img (This will install the TWRP recovery for EMUI 5.0 on your phone)
  • Once done with the flashing the TWRP, Run - fastboot reboot

Rooting
  • Once booted to system, open the PowerShell or command prompt in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • Run - adb reboot recovery
  • And your phone will boot into the TWRP recovery.
  • Copy the SuperU file downloaded to SD card or Internal memory.
  • Install the SuperSU zip.

Reboot and enjoy.

Happy Flashing.

decortiga

Jan 21, 2014
6 of October
Nice and Thankssss

did not find any post mentioning rooting for 5c on emui. If there are any, let me know and i will take down this thread.

note-
  • applicable for windows 7, windows 8 and windows 10
  • similar steps are applicable for emui 4.x as well but twrp file will change.

saw many user on honor 5c fb page and on xda struggling to get root working on emui 5. Most of the cases i saw, were for emui 5.x. I followed the steps mentioned or as applicable for any devices and i did not face any issue so though of compiling this guide for new users who may have faced issue or not able to root the phone. (may be mainly because of correct and working twrp issue) . I will just simplify the steps so that any new users can do this without any problem and without any prior experience to rooting, it may be long but will be the simple enough for all the users.

prerequisites-
enable the developer option in settings-
  • go to settings--> about phone-->tab build number 7 times to enable this setting.
  • go back in setting page, just above system update, you will see a new menu as -developer options
  • scroll for the debugging section and enable the usb debugging
  • you will be prompted for the confirmation with rsa key, just accept it.
  • enable oem unlock in developer options (just above the usb debugging option) – most probably this option will not be there on emui 5.0 (only few have seen on emui but it was there on emui 4.1 for all but rarely on emui 5.0 or may be because i have used dload most of the time which grayed out this)

installation of required drivers.
  • connect your phone to pc and install hi suite on pc and it will additionally install all the necessary drivers to pc and hisuite on mobile.
  • download and install adb from link
  • accept all the prompts and install adb drive system wise.
  • once installation is completed, if default options are chosen, it will be under c:\adb

downloading the necessary files.
  • download twrp from link thanks to @olddroid for his original thread . Rest of the contributor and credit in original thread by olddroid.
  • move the downloaded file under c:\adb or wherever you have installed the adb.
  • download the supersu file from this link and put it in sd card or keep handy on pc so that you can copy to internal memory later.

get the unlock as mentioned in this thread

actual procedure
unlocking the bootloader-
  • backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset the device and all your data will be erased.
  • on windows machine, go to folder c:\adb or wherever you installed the adb drivers.
  • press shift+right click together and select open command prompt here
  • run - adb reboot bootloader (this command may prompt for acceptance of rsa key if not already accepted)
  • this will boot the phone into bootloader mode.
  • run - fastboot oem unlock <16 digit unlock code- put your actual code you obtained from huawei site > (this step will unlock the bootloader and will erase all your data)
  • phone will restart automatically.

installing twrp
  • once on the system, open the powershell or command prompt again in adb folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • run - adb reboot bootloader
  • once in bootloader, run - fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-venus.img (this will install the twrp recovery for emui 5.0 on your phone)
  • once done with the flashing the twrp, run - fastboot reboot

rooting
  • once booted to system, open the powershell or command prompt in adb folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • run - adb reboot recovery
  • and your phone will boot into the twrp recovery.
  • copy the superu file downloaded to sd card or internal memory.
  • install the supersu zip.

reboot and enjoy.

Happy flashing.

works perfect at me , thank you so much
here is my phone model and android version

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_161108.png
    IMG_20171207_161108.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,683

tahahaiyat

Sep 9, 2014
Thank you so much... Love ya for this! I wish u all the success for future works..

Did not find any post mentioning rooting for 5C on EMUI. If there are any, let me know and I will take down this thread.

Note-

Saw many user on Honor 5C FB page and on XDA struggling to get root working on EMUI 5. most of the cases I saw, were for EMUI 5.X. I followed the steps mentioned or as applicable for any devices and I did not face any issue so though of compiling this guide for new users who may have faced issue or not able to root the phone. (may be mainly because of correct and working TWRP issue) . I will just simplify the steps so that any new users can do this without any problem and without any prior experience to rooting, it may be long but will be the simple enough for all the users.

Prerequisites-
  • Go to Settings--> About Phone-->Tab build number 7 times to enable this setting.
  • Go back in setting page, just above system update, you will see a new menu as -Developer Options
  • Enable OEM Unlock in Developer Options (just above the USB debugging option) – Most probably this option will not be there on EMUI 5.0 (only few have seen on EMUI but it was there on EMUI 4.1 for all but rarely on EMUI 5.0 or may be because I have used dload most of the time which grayed out this)

• Connect your phone to PC and install Hi Suite on PC and it will additionally install all the necessary drivers to PC and HiSUite on Mobile.
  • Once installation is completed, if default options are chosen, it will be under C:\adb

• Download TWRP from Link Thanks to @OldDroid for his Original Thread . Rest of the contributor and credit in original thread by OldDroid.
  • Download the SuperSU file from this Link and put it in SD card or keep handy on PC so that you can copy to internal memory later.

Actual Procedure
  • Backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset the device and all your data will be erased.
  • On windows machine, go to folder C:\adb or wherever you installed the adb drivers.
  • Run - adb reboot bootloader (this command may prompt for acceptance of RSA key if not already accepted)
  • Run - fastboot oem unlock <16 digit unlock code- Put your actual code you obtained from Huawei site > (This step will unlock the bootloader and will erase all your data)

Installing TWRP
  • Once on the system, open the PowerShell or command prompt again in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • Once in bootloader, Run - fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-venus.img (This will install the TWRP recovery for EMUI 5.0 on your phone)

Rooting
  • Once booted to system, open the PowerShell or command prompt in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)

Reboot and enjoy.

Happy Flashing.

Thank you so much... Love ya for this! I wish u all the success for future works..

Reactions: shashank1320

Fr33L4nc3r

Jul 29, 2011
Hello,

I had the NEM-L51 from my mother running EMUI 4.0x, and decided to upgrade it to the latest version.
It was unlocked, with TWRP as recovery, and rooted.

I did flash back the stock recovery (from HuaweiUpdateExtractor/Update.app), rebooted the device, and applied the OTA (B350 first, then latest B357).
Until then everything is fine, but when I try to flash the TWRP recovery, it doesn't work :
D:\Android\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery D:\Downloads\twrp-3.1.1-0-venus.img
target reported max download size of 471859200 bytes
sending 'recovery' (24464 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.719s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.734s

D:\Android\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery D:\Downloads\twrp-3.2.1-0-nemo.img
sending 'recovery' (21972 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.672s]
writing 'recovery'...
finished. total time: 0.672s

D:\Android\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery D:\Downloads\twrp-3.1.1-0-nemo.img
sending 'recovery' (21918 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.641s]
writing 'recovery'...
finished. total time: 0.656s
Neither the recommended Venus one, or the current / previous nemo one can be flashed.
Phone and FRP status in fastboot mode both shows Unlocked / Unlock, and the OEM Unlock option in EMUI Developper Settings is also enabled (I toggled it just to be sure).

I'm not sure what's wrong.
Would the update mess with the OEM unlock (by relocking and showing a wrong status) ?
I'd rather not try fastboot OEM unlock with the code (still have it somewhere) and lose data.

Thanks for any advice ;)

shashank1320

May 26, 2015
Delhi
Hello,

I had the NEM-L51 from my mother running EMUI 4.0x, and decided to upgrade it to the latest version.
It was unlocked, with TWRP as recovery, and rooted.

I did flash back the stock recovery (from HuaweiUpdateExtractor/Update.app), rebooted the device, and applied the OTA (B350 first, then latest B357).
Until then everything is fine, but when I try to flash the TWRP recovery, it doesn't work :

Neither the recommended Venus one, or the current / previous nemo one can be flashed.
Phone and FRP status in fastboot mode both shows Unlocked / Unlock, and the OEM Unlock option in EMUI Developper Settings is also enabled (I toggled it just to be sure).

I'm not sure what's wrong.
Would the update mess with the OEM unlock (by relocking and showing a wrong status) ?
I'd rather not try fastboot OEM unlock with the code (still have it somewhere) and lose data.

Thanks for any advice ;)
This should work fine but if not, can try Hassan's recovery

Fr33L4nc3r

Jul 29, 2011
This should work fine but if not, can try Hassan's recovery

Before trying that recovery, I just tried to flash the stock one from NEM-L51C432B357 full OTA package, and it doesn't work either :(

D:\Android\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery D:\Android\HuaweiUpdateExtractor_0.9.9.5\RECOVERY.img
sending 'recovery' (35570 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.932s]
writing 'recovery'...
finished. total time: 0.954s
So it's not a recovery issue.

How useful is the HiSuite backup ?
If I make a backup with it, will it be able to restore most user app's and system's data ?
I'd rather not re set everything up, and I'm afraid I'll have to retry to OEM unlock the device (so force wipe), even if it says it's unlocked (which it should have remained in the first place)

shashank1320

May 26, 2015
Delhi
Before trying that recovery, I just tried to flash the stock one from NEM-L51C432B357 full OTA package, and it doesn't work either :(

If I make a backup with it, will it be able to restore most user app's and system's data ?
I'd rather not re set everything up, and I'm afraid I'll have to retry to OEM unlock the device (so force wipe), even if it says it's unlocked (which it should have remained in the first place)
Hisuite can be used for back.. reliable one but not same as titanium backup. Backup WhatsApp on local and g drive. Zip the WhatsApp folder in internal memory and then copy to pc.
Rest other apps, via hisuite (can backup WhatsApp as well here).

shashank1320

May 26, 2015
Delhi

You file should be in path D:\Android\platform-tools\ and not D:\Android\HuaweiUpdateExtractor_0.9.9.5\
I hope adb is installed under D:\Android\platform-tools\, if not, it will be udner C drive as C:\adb\
copy the recovery file whereever the adb is installed and then run the command
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-venus.img (replace name with your actual file name)

Fr33L4nc3r

Jul 29, 2011
Ok, so in fact fastboot OEM unlock status was not accurate, and something I didn't notice was the absence of dm-verity warning when booting (showing when it's actually unlocked)

grand.mohammad

Jan 8, 2018
stopin phone

hello.please help me.last night i unlocked my gt3 and reseted factory data.but after these my phone stopped in page that typed "your device is booting now..." . but nothing going change.
when i hold power key or power key with volume up down , my phone get restart and show huawei mark and after that show the pervious page that i stoped in it and nothing change again.what can i do? :crying::crying::crying::crying:

tanhoang1702

Jan 20, 2018
Ho Chi Minh City
please help me, my device is Huawei GT3 (honor 5c) (NMO L31) it was unlock bootloader before i bought it and now i want to install twrp, so i have to learn a lot of website and Follow me, I downloaded and installed Adb, installed the driver, then downloaded the twrp version with nemo honor for honor 5c, then open CMD or powershell to write commands like adb reboot bootloader then adb fastboot flash recovery twrp.img is under the writing that says Failed (remote: image verification error), I previously copied the twrp 3.0 file ... into the adb folder and renamed to twrp. Now I have to do to install twrp on my device. Please help me.

tanhoang1702

Jan 20, 2018
Ho Chi Minh City
Hello, I have an NMO_L31 (honor 5c - huawei gr5 mini) device and I have experienced a Failed (remote: image verification error) error when installing TWRP while my phone was unlocked before. have searched from a lot of technology pages to find remedies but all failed. But my God, Jehovah listened to my plea and brought me to @shashank123, I contacted him through XDA and I got him a phone number to make friends on the telegram, he helped me out I and I have overcome the above error. I would like to explain how to overcome the error that I tried. First, I went back to emui 4.1.2 (you can see the instructions then allow OEM unlock, then I update the OTA to emui 5, allow usb debugging when the update is complete. Shift + Right click on CMD (or powershell) and enter "adb devices" to see the connected device, then enter "adb reboot bootloader" then enter "fastboot oem get-bootinfo" To check if the bootloader has been unlocked, then enter the command "fastboot oem unlock (code)" to unlock if the relock bootloader, then if the bootloader has been unlocked then the purpose of the command to factory reset. If that is the case, then go to the phone and see if factory reset is complete. Then develop and reconnect to adb, check the device connected to the "adb devices" command then go to the "adb reboot bootloader" command to get to the fastboot and then use the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img" (for example : Twrp) "Finally, if the word OKEY appears, you are successful. If you can not solve this problem, please send a message to @shashank123 in XDA and ask for his phone number to make friend through telegram and regular help message because he does not often use XDA. Thank you very much Shashank for helping me. Thanks be to my god JESU CHRIST and JEHOVAH.

Last edited:

shashank1320

May 26, 2015
Delhi
Hello, I have an NMO_L31 (honor 5c - huawei gr5 mini) device and I have experienced a Failed (remote: image verification error) error when installing TWRP while my phone was unlocked before. have searched from a lot of technology pages to find remedies but all failed. But my God, Jehovah listened to my plea and brought me to Shashank123, I contacted him through XDA and I got him a phone number to make friends on the telegram, he helped me out I and I have overcome the above error. I would like to explain how to overcome the error that I tried. First, I went back to emui 4.1.2 (you can see the instructions then allow OEM unlock, then I update the OTA to emui 5, allow usb debugging when the update is complete. Shift + Right click on CMD (or powershell) and enter "adb devices" to see the connected device, then enter "adb reboot bootloader" then enter "fastboot oem get-bootinfo" To check if the bootloader has been unlocked, then enter the command "fastboot oem unlock (code)" to unlock if the relock bootloader, then if the bootloader has been unlocked then the purpose of the command to factory reset. If that is the case, then go to the phone and see if factory reset is complete. Then develop and reconnect to adb, check the device connected to the "adb devices" command then go to the "adb reboot bootloader" command to get to the fastboot and then use the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img" (for example : Twrp) "Finally, if the word OKEY appears, you are successful. If you can not solve this problem, please send a message to Shashank123 in XDA and ask for his phone number to make friend through telegram and regular help message because he does not often use XDA. Thank you very much Shashank for helping me. Thanks be to my god JESU CHRIST and JEHOVAH.
No problem at all mate. Helping through telegram was quick in real time rather multiple post or message and then waiting for response from each other. Due to time crunch, I opted to quick help rather keep you waiting all day long
Good you got your phone as per your requirement and able to do what you wanted. Thanks and Enjoy.

You can edit your comment to say "@shashank1320" (use without double quotes) rather Shashank123 as users may send message or qoute him and get no response as that user may or may not exist :silly:

Last edited:

shashank1320

May 26, 2015
Delhi
hello.please help me.last night i unlocked my gt3 and reseted factory data.but after these my phone stopped in page that typed "your device is booting now..." . but nothing going change.
when i hold power key or power key with volume up down , my phone get restart and show huawei mark and after that show the pervious page that i stoped in it and nothing change again.what can i do? :crying::crying::crying::crying:
Boot to bootloader again and see the bootloader state if locked or unlocked. Try unlocking it again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Note-

Prerequisites-

Actual Procedure

Installing TWRP

Rooting

Reboot and enjoy.

Happy Flashing.

Note-

Prerequisites-

Actual Procedure

Installing TWRP

Rooting

Reboot and enjoy.

Happy Flashing.

Last version on twrp webpage is twrp-3.2.1-0-nemo.img
    This version is working on android 7 EMUI 5 ?

If i install twrp is possible to locked back the bootloader if i want to go back to stock firmware?
    on emui 5.
    but i manage to make it work somehow. powered on/off it 50 times and than it turned on. flashed twrp venus from the first post and now everything is working fine.
    but thanks for you help anyway.