[Index] Honor 5X ROMs, Kernels, Tools, Guides

Search This thread

khat17

Dec 24, 2008
Hi all. I'd like to put forward some suggestions to be placed in the first post. I literally paid cash to learn and figure some stuff out. Even if you're good at following instructions or partially experienced in these things, when you're eager to get it done or impatient (like me) you find the fastest route.

Here are some links in case someone wants to just go through the whole thing themselves.

http://xdaforums.com/honor-5x/how-to/unlock-frp-t3444584#post69917735

So here's what happened. I got the phone and was very eager to just get my stuff on it right away. Rooting is the first thing I wanted to do and looked that up to get it done. Made a mistake in the process and ended up paying cash to learn. Hopefully others will read this and not suffer the same fate.

What I Did (Including Mistakes)
  1. Wipe the phone / factory reset.
  2. Reboot and ensure everything is removed. Factory reset again.
  3. Tried the commands - got error about FRP protection.
  4. Did search for FRP unlock and found site.
  5. Followed instructions on site which led me to download DC Unlocker and pay for their FRP unlock.
  6. Reboot and setup phone (with no accounts or password or fingerprints).
  7. Enabled "OEM UNLOCK" in developer options (which I didn't see/enable before.........)
  8. Run commands (they all now work).
  9. Bootloader unlocked successfully.
  10. Device factory resets.
  11. Setup device again skipping accounts/password/fingerprints.
  12. Follow instructions for flashing TWRP and finishing up.
  13. Complete.

Some other things to ensure you note - if you're migrating from any Samsung device, don't do restore of Samsung stuff like XPOSED to the Huawei. And don't just arbitrarily do a restore from Titanium either. Select only the apps you want to use, or do the longer process of getting them from Google then restoring the data after.

Something else I noticed on my KIW-L24 is that I can't update. At all. I tried using different methods including the UPDATE.APP file for the phone, but it just gets stuck in a boot-loop. Currently going to load the B151 UPDATE.APP and see if I can de-brick it. Will edit and update the thread.

*EDIT1*
And just my luck. Didn't work. So stuck in a boot-loop. Working on it and will update when done or I give up.

*EDIT2*
So during the boot-loop I held VOL-DOWN+PWR and it went to a FASTBOOT+RECOVERY option. From there I flashed TWRP back to it and the system is now up and working. So lesson learned there. No idea why my own won't go to 6 though. Don't mind 5, but wanted to go up to 6..............still - better to have it working than not working. So happy there.

To answer my own problem/ for anyone else having problems it is necessary to remove the factory reset protection (frp) to do this you need to remove all pin/password/fingerprint locks, then remove all google accounts and finally do a factory reset.

Then the usual adb/fastboot commands work fine.

As linux33it says the bootloader can be unlocked without the option in the developer options.

Did some searching around and found this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/honor-5x/help/unlock-bootloader-issues-kiw-t3411032

The information is here:

While this works for some - it failed to work for me. Maybe because I didn't enable a little option on the screen about allowing OEM unlock. Maybe. But I (stupidly?) ended up where I was sent in this external guide.

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/...our-honor-5x-official-and-unofficial-methods/

Basically went to this site and used their tool (cost me USD$16) to wipe the FRP.

https://www.dc-unlocker.com

Maybe if you enable the option about the OEM unlock in Developer Mode this isn't necessary..........

Hopefully this helps someone. So to outline - let me show what I did - including errors.

3. Tried the commands - got error.
  5. Followed instructions on site which led me to download DC Unlocker and pay for their FRP unlock.
  7. Enabled "OEM UNLOCK" in developer options (which I didn't see before.........)
  13. Complete.

Again - hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited:

Romiui

Mar 4, 2012
Doha
Hi all. I'd like to put forward some suggestions to be placed in the first post. I literally paid cash to learn and figure some stuff out. Even if you're good at following instructions or partially experienced in these things, when you're eager to get it done or impatient (like me) you find the fastest route.

Here are some links in case someone wants to just go through the whole thing themselves.

http://xdaforums.com/honor-5x/how-to/unlock-frp-t3444584#post69917735

So here's what happened. I got the phone and was very eager to just get my stuff on it right away. Rooting is the first thing I wanted to do and looked that up to get it done. Made a mistake in the process and ended up paying cash to learn. Hopefully others will read this and not suffer the same fate.

What I Did (Including Mistakes)
  3. Tried the commands - got error about FRP protection.
  7. Enabled "OEM UNLOCK" in developer options (which I didn't see/enable before.........)
  13. Complete.

Some other things to ensure you note - if you're migrating from any Samsung device, don't do restore of Samsung stuff like XPOSED to the Huawei. And don't just arbitrarily do a restore from Titanium either. Select only the apps you want to use, or do the longer process of getting them from Google then restoring the data after.

Something else I noticed on my KIW-L24 is that I can't update. At all. I tried using different methods including the UPDATE.APP file for the phone, but it just gets stuck in a boot-loop. Currently going to load the B151 UPDATE.APP and see if I can de-brick it. Will edit and update the thread.

*EDIT1*
And just my luck. Didn't work. So stuck in a boot-loop. Working on it and will update when done or I give up.

*EDIT2*
So during the boot-loop I held VOL-DOWN+PWR and it went to a FASTBOOT+RECOVERY option. From there I flashed TWRP back to it and the system is now up and working. So lesson learned there. No idea why my own won't go to 6 though. Don't mind 5, but wanted to go up to 6..............still - better to have it working than not working. So happy there.

Am still Confused Really !. Are U Giving us A FeedBack or Need Help ,
hope u got every thing together and having ur phone a live .

if u need help please place ur all requests in one thread in Q\A section So we Can follow up !.

GD luck .

khat17

Dec 24, 2008
It's a little bit of both. Those are the steps I followed to get root access. However, I don't recall seeing anything about the FRP in any of the previous guides.

As for my specific issue, I can't update regardless of what I try. After de-bricking the device I got it to this stage. I'll upload the screenshots shortly.

*EDIT*
So this is my phone now. Partly upgraded it seems. The device is now at B331 instead of B151, but still on EMUI 3.0

And what I want to point out is - after enabling DEVELOPER MODE - ensure you check the OEM UNLOCK option.

Because I can't confirm at this point if doing that will prevent having to pay for the FRP unlock.

Am still Confused Really !. Are U Giving us A FeedBack or Need Help ,
hope u got every thing together and having ur phone a live .

if u need help please place ur all requests in one thread in Q\A section So we Can follow up !.

GD luck .

Last edited:

lukedunk

Aug 2, 2010
Honolulu

I can't comment on FRP lock. I never used DC unlocker, just unlocked through the Chinese Huawei site and never had a problem.

But regarding UPDATE.APP method, I posted my experience in another thread, which may be helpful:
---------------------------------
I also had the "stuck at 5%" problem when trying to use the "dload" method. Here was my experience:

1) Using 64gb SD card (Class 10 or something fancy)
I was never able to do a stock recovery. Despite many tries after reformatting the card, recovery process always terminated at approximately 5% ending in a reboot without applying the update (which in your case would probably be a bootloop since the existing system is bad).

2) Using 8gb SD card (An old card, class 2)
This worked the first time. I was literally about ready to throw this phone away and send an angry message to Honor, and only tried this out of desperation. I've used it multiple times since, and dload recovery always works with this card.

My conclusion was that this phone cannot seem to read all SD cards properly. I'm not sure if the problem is capacity (over 32gb??), speed class, or brand. Try another card and it may save you. To be safe, it's probably best to be a smaller size, lower speed class card.

Reactions: khat17

khat17

Dec 24, 2008
Many thanks for this! The use of a Class 4 card made the update work. So now on EMUI 4.0 with OS 6. Thanks again!

Will remember this in future. Now the task of restoring all my old stuff......but I'm upgraded. And I believe the new OS has better memory management which is good.

Just bear in mind that copying to a lower class (slower) card will take time.

Kudos to @lukedunk for this!

I can't comment on FRP lock. I never used DC unlocker, just unlocked through the Chinese Huawei site and never had a problem.

But regarding UPDATE.APP method, I posted my experience in another thread, which may be helpful:
---------------------------------
I also had the "stuck at 5%" problem when trying to use the "dload" method. Here was my experience:

1) Using 64gb SD card (Class 10 or something fancy)
I was never able to do a stock recovery. Despite many tries after reformatting the card, recovery process always terminated at approximately 5% ending in a reboot without applying the update (which in your case would probably be a bootloop since the existing system is bad).

2) Using 8gb SD card (An old card, class 2)
This worked the first time. I was literally about ready to throw this phone away and send an angry message to Honor, and only tried this out of desperation. I've used it multiple times since, and dload recovery always works with this card.

My conclusion was that this phone cannot seem to read all SD cards properly. I'm not sure if the problem is capacity (over 32gb??), speed class, or brand. Try another card and it may save you. To be safe, it's probably best to be a smaller size, lower speed class card.

betexino

Oct 12, 2014
algiers
I have an honor 5x kiw-l21 runnin stock b350 ... in order to install custom rom wich buil i must runnin befor install custom rom ???

betexino

Oct 12, 2014
algiers
B350 was fine ....thank u guys i'm using various custom ROM m&n ...... so does xinternalsdcard module works on kiwi ?
have a Nice day 10x a lot for ur help :)

Last edited:

yshu pk

Nov 12, 2016
What is the first step to root my honor 5x.
Its marshmallow
emui 4.0.3
Im new here..Please help..

Top Liked Posts