FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Let's try and solve the Honor / Huawei 'missing notification' problem

5,275 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,357

By paulobrien, Senior Member on 17th April 2016, 01:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I suspect most of us have seen the issue with 'missing notifications' on Honor / Huawei devices. When you add an app to the protected apps list, make sure the various battery and startup optimisations are disabled, do everything you can... still the system seems to shut the app down and notifications don't happen.

Why? I don't think anyone knows yet.

The problem seems to be mitigated in some cases by moving the app manually to the /system partition, but this doesn't always work I don't think - for example Hangouts sometimes misses notifications for me and that's a system app. There's another nuance too - why do some apps not appear in the protected apps list (e.g. gmail)? That's not technically any different to Hangouts... is there a whitelist in the ROM somewhere?

Now I have my custom ROMs and deodexed ROMs, I'm going to be having a good poke around so hopefully we can fix this once and for all for all Honor / Huawei devices, but it would be super useful for anyone to contribute their findings so we can try and establish a pattern of behaviour while I look for clues.

Cheers all.

P

PS: Topic also mirrored here at MoDaCo
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paulobrien Ad-Free
17th April 2016, 02:27 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Hi Paul, very nice to see how much you contribute to Honor 7 community...

Your topic is on-point, just wanted to start thread alike.
Yes, from very quick research these problems are common to all? Huawei, not only H7
Anyway I am a newbie to my H7 and a novice at EMUI, I am also not even a hobbyist programmer. But will try to help.

ps. could you look here? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=6
I had similiar thoughts on, this time - Google, not EMUI 'whitelist' - Ignore optimisations
17th April 2016, 04:31 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
The Google settings don't accept notifications generally, and the problems - which I've seen on all Huawei and Honor devices - aren't limited to Marshmallow.

P

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
18th April 2016, 01:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I had a problem with Tasker continuously being killed in Lollipop even though I marked it as a protected app, but I found that the issue only occurred if I used the "Smart" Power Plan, since switching the "Performance" plan the issue appears to have been resolved. I now see the same issue with Whatsapp on MM and have again selected the same plan to see if that solves the issue also
18th April 2016, 03:15 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199xda

I had a problem with Tasker continuously being killed in Lollipop even though I marked it as a protected app, but I found that the issue only occurred if I used the "Smart" Power Plan, since switching the "Performance" plan the issue appears to have been resolved. I now see the same issue with Whatsapp on MM and have again selected the same plan to see if that solves the issue also

So I'm making some good progress digging around with this. I've had some interesting feedback suggesting that this is less of a problem in 'Performance' mode than 'Smart', but it is still an issue. Interested to hear thoughts on that.

App closure behaviour seems to be managed in 3 places on device...
  • in Marshmallow doze (this obviously isn't the cause of our issues)
  • in HwPowerGenieEngine3 (com.huawei.powergenie)
  • In HwSystemManager (com.huawei.systemmanager), also known as the 'Phone Manager' app
Sure enough, disabling the latter 2 packages seems to make notifications work 100%, but there are other things hooked into the Phone Manager app, so disabling it completely is a bit of a blunt instrument, it'll be better to try and tweak the behaviour, which is what I'm looking at now.

If anyone has clear*notification issues they can replicate and there*use to help me test fixes, please post below.

P
18th April 2016, 04:48 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
google hangouts, almost always fail to receive notification.
18th April 2016, 09:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Small question for everyone having notification problems. When you look into the "automatic launch records" menu in Phone Manager, are these Apps with problems listed as restricted or as allowed? Aquamail and WhatsApp are working fine for me even with smart Power plan
18th April 2016, 09:35 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrengineer

google hangouts, almost always fail to receive notification.

After installing the phone manager extension from the Play Store?

P

18th April 2016, 11:10 PM |#9  
Flag Södertälje
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Where could I get autostart apk from? I dont have it

Sent from my PLK-L01 using XDA-Developers mobile app
18th April 2016, 11:16 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

More
Here in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....huawei.pmplus

P

19th April 2016, 02:23 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien

After installing the phone manager extension from the Play Store?

P

unable to install it on my honor 7.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)