FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Best Ways to Use the Smart Key

226 posts
Thanks Meter: 358

By DrGreenway, XDA Intern on 23rd August 2016, 02:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
It's pretty standard for any good smartphone to come with a fingerprint scanner these days. The Honor 8 has a fingerprint scanner with an extra feature. If you press on the sensor, you'll feel it click much like the button on a refrigerator would if refrigerators had buttons. You can assign custom actions to this button for press, double press and press and hold.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-27.png
Views:	1386
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	3851194Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-36.png
Views:	1374
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	3851195Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-22-19-11-53.png
Views:	1408
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	3851196

To get started, go to your smart assistance menu and select smart key.

Here the setup process will be obvious so I'll skip that and let you know what I've been using the smart key for.

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and I need to be able to see what's going on without fumbling around with my phone too much. Smart key is a perfect solution.

Double Press is set to open Snapchat simply because it's the app I use most often. It's common to have a shortcut button to your camera app but now I can launch straight into Snapchat.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen.

What are you using Smart Key for?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrGreenway For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrGreenway Ad-Free

26th August 2016, 04:58 PM |#2  
Honor Fanatic
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aw, c'mon Puddin - don'tcha wanna rev up ya Harley?VROOOM VROOM!
Thanks Meter: 3,963

Donate to Me
More
Using mine for Notes, Map, and Google Now
28th August 2016, 11:45 AM |#3  
Honor King
Flag Oujda
Thanks Meter: 291

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGreenway

It's pretty standard for any good smartphone to come with a fingerprint scanner these days. The Honor 8 has a fingerprint scanner with an extra feature. If you press on the sensor, you'll feel it click much like the button on a refrigerator would if refrigerators had buttons. You can assign custom actions to this button for press, double press and press and hold.

Here the setup process will be obvious so I'll skip that and let you know what I've been using the smart key for.

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and more often than not there are bears and wolves running around. I need to be able to see what's going on without lighting up my face by turning my screen on. Now I can just tap on the smart key and have an advantage when I have to fist fight a bear.

Double Press is set to open Snapchat simply because it's the app I use most often. It's common to have a shortcut button to your camera app but now I can launch straight into Snapchat.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen. It's much safer and I've found that I run over way less people this way.

I would use it for flashlight, maps and Twitter
28th August 2016, 12:27 PM |#4  
Honor Enthusiast
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:

Attachment 3851194Attachment 3851195Attachment 3851196

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and more often than not there are bears and wolves running around. I need to be able to see what's going on without lighting up my face by turning my screen on. Now I can just tap on the smart key and have an advantage when I have to fist fight a bear.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen. It's much safer and I've found that I run over way less people this way.

Irony is always welcomed, in every topic. Keep on
29th August 2016, 06:43 AM |#5  
Honor King
Flag banglore
Thanks Meter: 2,799

Donate to Me
More
nice and nifty feature.
best implementation of fingerprint sensor ever!!!!!
31st August 2016, 04:53 PM |#6  
Honor Supporter
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Would like to set the single click to go to Home Screen, but cannot find the Huawei Laucher in the list of apps (I'm giving it a try to the default launcher before going back to Google laucher).
My Double Click is Camera and Long Press Google Now
The Following User Says Thank You to nCoder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nCoder Ad-Free
1st September 2016, 08:12 PM |#7  
Honor King
Flag Oujda
Thanks Meter: 291

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nCoder

Would like to set the single click to go to Home Screen, but cannot find the Huawei Laucher in the list of apps (I'm giving it a try to the default launcher before going back to Google laucher).
My Double Click is Camera and Long Press Google Now

Why putting a single click for home screen?! Home button is there, I will use it for flashlight
4th September 2016, 04:15 AM |#8  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

Attachment 3851194Attachment 3851195Attachment 3851196

One Press activates my flashlight. I often go for a walk around the woods at night and I need to be able to see what's going on without fumbling around with my phone too much. Smart key is a perfect solution.

Press and Hold is set to launch my Google Driving app. This app will automatically start navigating home when you launch it. So when I'm driving, all I have to do it press one button on my phone to start the navigation back to my house. I don't even have to look at my phone screen.

really an awesome feature...but if someone wants to do this with his phone...
1. root your phone...
2. Install xposed installer(experimental recommended)
3. open xposed and install framework
4. goto downloads and download "physical keys mapping"
5.activate the module and reboot...
6.open physical key mapping..
7.set it up...
8.enjoy...
#you can use these keys even when your phone locked
4th September 2016, 10:34 AM |#9  
Flag Dartmoor
Thanks Meter: 1,294

More
One press - Pokemon Go

Two press - Dominos

Three - Directions to MacDonalds
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gavinfabl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gavinfabl Ad-Free
13th September 2016, 05:56 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
There is also another use of the Smart Key to pull down notification shade, clear them as well as to navigate while using gallery app.

It's under Settings -> Fingerprint ID

With those features, it seems like the button can be used for navigation as well. I sure wish someone can write an app to customize it as a back button
21st September 2016, 10:31 PM |#11  
Flag Belém
Thanks Meter: 0

More
one press: flash light
two press: none
long press: smart controller
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)