[Guide] How To Install OREO Update Before It Is Released

Search This thread

d.westhues

Apr 14, 2011
Yeah, guess so.

Checked it 3 times. Used the L09 C432

But now my phone is "unknown".

I used the 3 files which I marked on the screenshot.
Renamed them, copied the folder to my phone and flashed it.

I had the same problems.
This guide helped to roll back to Nougat:

https://xdaforums.com/honor-8/development/firmware-huawei-honor-8-frd-l09-stock-t3696921

Here is the link to the thread, in which my problem was discussed:
https://xdaforums.com/honor-8/how-to/oreo-update-honor8-frd-09-available-eu-t3812297/post77185871

Hope this helps.

agraceful

Mar 29, 2011
STOP USING TWRP FOR OREO. IT CANNOT FULLY WIPE AND WILL RESULT IN PROBLEMS. If any of you bothered to join the group, you'd know these issues.

zinko_pt

Dec 26, 2006
Manchester
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Getting this from unlocked C342B300 and B405 (tried both).

HuRUpdater *Trying to find the gpio-keys event node.

* by zxz0O0 *

Found and will be using /dev/input/event1!
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p46 on /vendor failed: Device or resource busy
cp: can't stat '/vendor/etc/recovery.fstab': No such file or directory
Archive: /external_sd/Oreo Update/HuRUpdater_0.4.zip
inflating: utils/hurupdate-binary
inflating: utils/busybox
Archive: /external_sd/Oreo Update/update.zip
unzip: can't find file table
unzip: short read
Error with update.zip file. See recovery.log for more details
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
I:Legacy property environment disabled.
I:Install took 2 second(s).
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/Oreo Update/HuRUpdater_0.4.zip'
Updating partition details...
I:Data backup size is 2787MB, free: 13683MB.
I:Unable to mount '/usbotg'
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'auto'
...done
I:Set page: 'flash_done'
I:eek:peration_end

EDIT: nevermind, went to site and download the latest, flashed successfully.
Now is Magisk, but there´s a CRC error when selecting update.app to extract the the boot.img. Tried several downloads, same thing. And I need the Hide feature from Magisk...

Last edited:

ScardracS

Recognized Developer
May 6, 2012
Huawei P40
Now It's approved!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180816-070635.png
    Screenshot_20180816-070635.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 336

MicroChip

Feb 14, 2006
Ok I've got magisk installed, got root, hidden so Android pay works and directv now plays. What's weird is if I install a v4a magisk module it will install the driver, but when I reboot it's not installed again. Downloaded BusyBox, install that, it's there, but after reboot it's gone. How can I get the things to persist after reboot so I can use v4a? I've always hated the sound quality of the phone but now that I've got it unlocked and rooted I may as well fix the audio.

Thanks!
MC

srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
Ok I've got magisk installed, got root, hidden so Android pay works and directv now plays. What's weird is if I install a v4a magisk module it will install the driver, but when I reboot it's not installed again. Downloaded BusyBox, install that, it's there, but after reboot it's gone. How can I get the things to persist after reboot so I can use v4a? I've always hated the sound quality of the phone but now that I've got it unlocked and rooted I may as well fix the audio.

Thanks!
MC
Have you tried searching or posting this question in the Magisk forum? They may be better suited to help you solve your problem.

agraceful

Mar 29, 2011

Thanks!
MC

Viper doesn't work. Thank Huawei. Kernel enforces SELinux and it cannot be changed.

srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
What about the Openkirin treble roms? It's unclear if treble roms change the kernel.

If I'm not mistaken some of the treble roms have an option to change Selinux to permissive. I don't know if V4A will work though.

Edit: I asked in the OpenKirin Telegram group and the answer is no.

Last edited:

srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
Getting this from unlocked C342B300 and B405 (tried both).

HuRUpdater *Trying to find the gpio-keys event node.

* by zxz0O0 *

Found and will be using /dev/input/event1!
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p46 on /vendor failed: Device or resource busy
cp: can't stat '/vendor/etc/recovery.fstab': No such file or directory
inflating: utils/hurupdate-binary
inflating: utils/busybox
unzip: can't find file table
unzip: short read
Error with update.zip file. See recovery.log for more details
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
I:Legacy property environment disabled.
I:Install took 2 second(s).
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/Oreo Update/HuRUpdater_0.4.zip'
Updating partition details...
I:Data backup size is 2787MB, free: 13683MB.
I:Unable to mount '/usbotg'
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'auto'
...done
I:Set page: 'flash_done'
I:eek:peration_end

EDIT: nevermind, went to site and download the latest, flashed successfully.
Now is Magisk, but there´s a CRC error when selecting update.app to extract the the boot.img. Tried several downloads, same thing. And I need the Hide feature from Magisk...

Hey zinko_pt

I have the same problem/CRC error. I can't extract the boot.img.
Could you solve the problem in the meantime?
This maybe a silly question but are you extracting update.app with Huawei Update Extractor first?

Domi-kun

Dec 3, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This maybe a silly question but are you extracting update.app with Huawei Update Extractor first?

Yes, if I use the UPDATE.APP (FRD-L09 8.0.0.521 (C432), downloaded with FirmwareFinder) with the Huawei Update Extractor, the message "RECOVERY_RAMDIS.img appears: Invalid header crc - Expected: 10691 Got: 48598" appears.
I use Huawei Update Extractor 0.9.9.5 and the profile "Unknown (worstenbrood)".
If I choose the UPDATE.APP from the C432B131 firmware, I can select the boot.img.

srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
Yes, if I use the UPDATE.APP (FRD-L09 8.0.0.521 (C432), downloaded with FirmwareFinder) with the Huawei Update Extractor, the message "RECOVERY_RAMDIS.img appears: Invalid header crc - Expected: 10691 Got: 48598" appears.
I use Huawei Update Extractor 0.9.9.5 and the profile "Unknown (worstenbrood)".
If I choose the UPDATE.APP from the C432B131 firmware, I can select the boot.img.

First thing you want the RAMDISK.img for Magisk and not RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img. Anyway I extracted both of them for you. They came from the FRF-L09 on v 156472. (Although it shouldn't matter because I think they all use the same UPDATE.APP)
Ramdisk: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GtAi8jJO4BIwbtO22izJh3xgz3D9LH4F
Recovery: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I_48xVfcScuqYbj9CM79j-wPde2JI0rc
Here is another tool you can use to extract UPDATE.APP.
https://xdaforums.com/mediapad-x2/development/tool-huawei-update-extractor-linux-perl-t3318880

Domi-kun

Dec 3, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
First thing you want the RAMDISK.img for Magisk and not RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img. Anyway I extracted both of them for you. They came from the FRF-L09 on v 156472. (Although it shouldn't matter because I think they all use the same UPDATE.APP)
Ramdisk: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GtAi8jJO4BIwbtO22izJh3xgz3D9LH4F
Recovery: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I_48xVfcScuqYbj9CM79j-wPde2JI0rc
Here is another tool you can use to extract UPDATE.APP.
https://xdaforums.com/mediapad-x2/development/tool-huawei-update-extractor-linux-perl-t3318880

Thank you so much! I'll try it out tonight.

I found I wasn't de-selecting some checking in options. And that is actually recommended. So Huawei Update Extractor was always checking for the integrity of the file and returning error.
Turning off the checking did the trick. Pretty obvious... :p

Thank you too. Now it works for me without errors as well!

dr.lube

Jan 18, 2013
Bolzano
Hi there! I've a problem with this update.. The audio doens't work anymore (even with headphone) and when i get a call the phone crashed.

I've started from a nougat with unlocked bootloader and root.
II didn't root the device again..

Under phone information the model name now is UNKNOWN :S

Any suggestion?

EDIT: I've tryed to make a factory reset as someone has suggested but the situation didn't change at all...

I've read this topic twice and didn't find the answer (maybe because I'm not native) but how can I get back to nougat? It's my daily driver and I'm not able to call :eek:eek:

Thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How To Install OREO Update Before It Is Released
    Discaimer: I am not responsible for any mistakes, mishaps or BRICKED devices.

Screenshot_20180729-214400.jpg
    Prerequisites:
    • Updated to Nougat
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • TWRP installed
    • Basic understanding on how to use TWRP
    If you don't know how to unlock your bootloader and install TWRP see post #2

I am using my device the [FRD-L04] as an example in this guide.

Step 1 Get Firmware
    Create a folder on you computer and name it "oreo-update".
    Go to the Firmware Finder website and find the Oreo update for your device.
    Left click on the "filelist" and it will display three download links. One for "update.zip", One for "update_data_full_public.zip" and One for update_full_FRD-L04_hw_usa.zip.
    Screenshot_20180804_112235.png

Screenshot_20180804_111514.png

Copy and paste each download link for your device into your browser's address bar and download them to your "oreo-update" folder.
    You may see more than three files. The last one will have your model number in it.
    Now go to your "oreo-update" folder.
    Rename "update_data_full_public.zip" to "update_data_public.zip"
    Rename "update_full_FRD-L04_hw_usa.zip" to "update_all_hw.zip"

Step 2 Get HuRUpdater
    HuRUpdater is a great program that flashes unapproved and approved updates in TWRP.
    Go to the HuRUpdater post and download the latest version to your "oreo-update" folder. Be sure to hit the thanks button while your there.

Step 3 Install Oreo
    Copy "oreo-update" folder to your SD Card.
    Boot to TWRP
    I recommend doing a full backup and a wipe before flashing.
    Choose install from the TWRP menu and select your SD Card
    Navigate to your "oreo-update" folder and flash "HuRUpdater" it will prompt you to hit the volume down button to start the process.
    HuRUpdater will flash the update for you. I ended up with three errors which didn't seem to matter.
    Reboot and enjoy

Optional Flash TWRP
    It may be possible this process relocked your bootloader. So you may need to unlock your bootloader again.
    Download the latest version of TWRP from this post. This TWRP wasn't designed for our device but is the closest to a fully working TWRP I could find. DO NOT post any problems or bugs in that post!
    TWRP 3.2.1-0
    The fastboot commands have changed. The new command is "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY.img"

If you like this guide please consider hitting the thanks button.
    Thanks man. Method worked fine.
    Thanks for the sharing. Could you explain a little more about which parts of the twrp for oreo are not working?

The only things I have found is it can't decrypt the Data partition and it tries to mount a partition that isn't on the Honor 8. It will wipe the Data partition though. I'm sure it is only a matter of time until someone builds one for our device.
    Yes. It will flash it back to stock. Although it didn't lock the bootloader for me.
    Thanks gonna try this tonight.