FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD]Camera Mod - Enhanced Camera by Jordon F (JF-Gino)

332 posts
Thanks Meter: 113

By JF-GINO, Senior Member on 17th March 2017, 03:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Welcome to my Honor 8 Camera Enhancement Tweak.
Here you will find tweaks that should make your Honor 8 camera even better.

Hoping to get better quality out of this phone & seeing no real mod work happening, I decided to tackle improving this camera for myself. I have tested my tweaks extensively in all modes with my Honor 8 FRD-L04 model ever since I got it back in December of last year. I am confident that this tweak gives us the best performance out of our camera(s) without compromising the complex nature of how the dual sensor stuff works.

What does this mod do :
Basically, you should have in general better resolved photos with more detail, dynamic range, better low light performance and overall exposure handling. You will also have slightly higher quality video as well.

Enhancement Tweak Version 1
Full details of this tweak outlined below to the stock Honor 8 camera :

- Jpg Compression Quality set to 100%
- Larger Image Buffer
- Higher Bitrate 1080p Video Recording (28mbps)
- Better Chroma Conversion between B&W & Colour Sensor
- Higher rate of B&W Sensor Detail mixed with blend matrix
- Larger colour information flow from colour sensor in blend matrix
- Better overall handling of ISO exposure settings
- Better low light performance
- Less noise in low ISO
- More aggressive handling of high ISO aliasing
- Extra frame of bracketing for HDR modes

Hit Here for a sample of the results from this tweak :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...5&postcount=12

Note : Your images will now be significantly larger then before, on average between 6 to 8megs and over 12 to 16megs using DOF Focus mode.
Videos will also have larger filesizes as the bitrate has increased.

Hit Here for a sample of the file sizes & bitrate reported from this tweak :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=16

Question: Does it work on nougat?
Answer: Even tho Im using Marshmallow, it seems to work on my friends phone with nougat but Im not guaranteeing it as I don’t know if any of the camera dependent system files changed.
Question: What is all this stuff and do you even know what your doing?
Answer : Sure……………
Question: How do I know what all this funkiness does and if it all works?
Answer: Im bloody magic, that’s how.
Question: Can you get the black & white sensor only to work like the P9?
Answer: No More Questions!

DISCLAIMER!
Please keep in mind that even tho my tweak works amazeballz on my phone, I can not be held responsible for any damage, craziness, you phone getting drunk at night and having sex with your girlfriend or even Trump getting angry at you and causing thermonuclear war. Please back up your system partition, nandroid, hemorrhoid or polaroid your phone to be safe before flashing strange zips barring candy.

Steps for installation :
You Obviously need to be rooted with custom recovery.
1) Restart in TWRP
2) Make a backup – nandroid etc.
3) Flash my zip file - Note - Make sure you have mounted r/w all required partitions - Thanks @cvkef
4) Reboot
5) Phone boots up and camera claims to know where the arc of the covenant is
- Joking! But … Camera should be working as advertised

Update 1 - Included now is a zip to flash back to stock settings
Thanks to @Telperion for the files to flash back to stock

Update 2 - Magisk Support!
Thanks to @Telperion there is now a Magisk Module attached below for this tweak!

Hope you enjoy my mod! Keep fit and have fun!

( - See Below for files to download - )
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to JF-GINO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JF-GINO Ad-Free

17th March 2017, 04:34 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
For original recovery??

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
17th March 2017, 06:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Thank you, JF-GINO - sounds very interesting. Do you think it should work, at least in theory, on the European models as well (L-09)? Did anyone try it on the newest Nougat version(s) B360 / B380 on L-09 yet and can confirm that it is fully functional? A further suggestion: Maybe you could upload a flashable .zip with the "old", standard settings of the camera in case people encounter any problems. Thanks again, looks very promising!
17th March 2017, 06:13 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Will be trying this once I have twrp installed. Thanks for the work.
18th March 2017, 12:05 AM |#5  
Flag Mandaluyong
Thanks Meter: 344

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitario88

For original recovery??

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

TWRP.
18th March 2017, 01:47 AM |#6  
Honor Fanatic
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Just made some trials with poor lighting and it looks a bit less grainy. Nothing revolutionary obviously but noticeable and much appreciated. Thank you!
18th March 2017, 02:09 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Are there some comparison samples​?
18th March 2017, 02:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Flashed on FRD-L09 B120. Seem like social sharing from the Camera App is broken since then at least for me. Additionally the "smart wiping" feature of the fingerprint sensor is gone. But that isn't necessary related, had the problem before for a short time.
UPDATE - Ok, nevermind, it was probably unrelated. Phone needed a couple of reboots and a cache flush, now everything works again as expected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to microserf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift microserf Ad-Free
18th March 2017, 06:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Hi dev congrats for your work!
I installed lineage 13 on my Honor and I'm not satisfied of camera, even using 3rd part app. Can I flash your mod or it's only for emui?
Thanks in advance.
20th March 2017, 07:44 PM |#10  
Honor Fanatic
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojjacker

Thank you, JF-GINO - sounds very interesting. Do you think it should work, at least in theory, on the European models as well (L-09)? Did anyone try it on the newest Nougat version(s) B360 / B380 on L-09 yet and can confirm that it is fully functional? A further suggestion: Maybe you could upload a flashable .zip with the "old", standard settings of the camera in case people encounter any problems. Thanks again, looks very promising!

This should work on all models as the camera depended files are all the same. As for Nougat, I have tried it on a phone with B360 and it seems to work but I dont know what they did in the update to improve the metrics for the camera as Im still on MM. Im assuming they left the dependencies alone and just updated the camera app itself as nougat users have not complained yet & are getting the same positive results.

As for a rollback zip or uninstaller, I was going to put one together but I realized I did not keep any of the original files since a Nandroid back in early January. after that, I was using settings from the P9. I also dont know if each version has slightly different files as stock either. This is why I released it this way and stressed you do a backup. Maybe later if I have the time I can look into extracting the original files from a stock rom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk791

Hi dev congrats for your work!
I installed lineage 13 on my Honor and I'm not satisfied of camera, even using 3rd part app. Can I flash your mod or it's only for emui?
Thanks in advance.

If Lineage is CM based then no, I would think that none of this would work on that rom. The stock emui camera app is dependent on this mod. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microserf

Flashed on FRD-L09 B120. Seem like social sharing from the Camera App is broken since then at least for me. Additionally the "smart wiping" feature of the fingerprint sensor is gone. But that isn't necessary related, had the problem before for a short time.
UPDATE - Ok, nevermind, it was probably unrelated. Phone needed a couple of reboots and a cache flush, now everything works again as expected.

Glad you sorted your problem out as non of these modded files should affect what you where having issues with
The Following User Says Thank You to JF-GINO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JF-GINO Ad-Free
20th March 2017, 09:53 PM |#11  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Dev in words seems a great job but I would also expect a comparative pre post photographic sample under different conditions. You do not think to post the results of your work?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)