FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Honor 8x Can't change launcher/ pie controls and vpn not running in background

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By doesntfazer, Junior Member on 24th October 2018, 01:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just got my 8x in the mail today, love it for the most part, but there are a couple things that are really bugging me about it.

I cant seem to change the launcher no matter what I do. I just don't have the option in the default apps. I've tried multiple different launchers. I also use Pie controls and a vpn. They run in the background when I have the app open. but if I close it I can't get it to stay running silently in the background like I was able to do with all my other phones. I've tried hitting the lock icon on the app when I hit the square and the apps come up.

I have tried allowing it to run in the background using the phone manager. I have turned on ignore battery optimization. I have tried adding the apps as trusted apps. I have tried factory reset after factory reset. I am at a loss. Please, let me know if this is an issue that only I am having, or if this is a problem with emui in general. I am tearing my hair out at this point, and I am going to return the damn thing if I can't get this to work.

Android is about customization, and it seems as if they are trying to strip that ability from us. Navigating my phone is a pain in the butt now, and I don't really know what else to do other than return it, unless someone knows something that I don't.

Thanks.

24th October 2018, 04:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I have been using the Honor 8x for about a week now. The first thing I did was install Nova Launcher, and I had absolutely not problem doing that.

Not only did the screen pop up after the installation to choose my default app, but there is also the option in Default Apps to set it there as well. See screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HP...kpZczg_2qiFTUu

I also had minor issues with apps closing when put in the background, but I turned off the feature, and don't seem to be having those problems anymore. You can change that in Settings -> Battery -> App Launch

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bu...Al0WaDE7hougL6

One VERY IMPORTANT thing to note is that Honor 8x devices released in different regions have slight differences when it comes to software.

For example, I was watching an Indian review video on youtube, and they were talking about System Navigation, and in his Honor 8x, there was an option to use the iPhone like gestures for navigation. In my Pakistani unit that option isn't there at all.

So do bear this in mind. Have you tried running software update to see if there are any updates/bug fixes for your phone?
24th October 2018, 05:10 PM |#3  
Honor Supporter
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical_Mir

I have been using the Honor 8x for about a week now. The first thing I did was install Nova Launcher, and I had absolutely not problem doing that.

Not only did the screen pop up after the installation to choose my default app, but there is also the option in Default Apps to set it there as well. See screenshot.

I also had minor issues with apps closing when put in the background, but I turned off the feature, and don't seem to be having those problems anymore. You can change that in Settings -> Battery -> App Launch

One VERY IMPORTANT thing to note is that Honor 8x devices released in different regions have slight differences when it comes to software.

For example, I was watching an Indian review video on youtube, and they were talking about System Navigation, and in his Honor 8x, there was an option to use the iPhone like gestures for navigation. In my Pakistani unit that option isn't there at all.

So do bear this in mind. Have you tried running software update to see if there are any updates/bug fixes for your phone?

I have the Chinese version of the phone, Model number JSN-AL00a I had it imported into the USA. The first thing that I did with the device is factory reset it and use the gms installer And yes, the first thing that I did after that was update the phone. I think the first thing I am going to do when I get home is try downgrading the device or reinstalling the firmware using hiSuite if that's even an option. Do you know if it is possible to install a different region on it?

Also the data is locked to 2G for my provider but I rarely use data, so I really don't care about that. Was hoping maybe I could do a kernal update and unlock some US friendly bands. But I know the bootloader can't be unlocked so that's a pipe dream.

I guess when I get home from work I will try the downgrade, if you have any suggestions as to what I can do in the meantime let me know.

Thanks.
24th October 2018, 05:22 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntfazer

I have the Chinese version of the phone, Model number JSN-AL00a I had it imported into the USA. The first thing that I did with the device is factory reset it and use the gms installer And yes, the first thing that I did after that was update the phone. I think the first thing I am going to do when I get home is try downgrading the device or reinstalling the firmware using hiSuite if that's even an option. Do you know if it is possible to install a different region on it?

Also the data is locked to 2G for my provider but I rarely use data, so I really don't care about that. Was hoping maybe I could do a kernal update and unlock some US friendly bands. But I know the bootloader can't be unlocked so that's a pipe dream.

I guess when I get home from work I will try the downgrade, if you have any suggestions as to what I can do in the meantime let me know.

Thanks.

I'm sorry I have no idea how your would go about downgrading the firmware on the honor 8x.

Honestly, the phone has been globally released, and I would return that Chinese unit, and get the global retail version if possible in USA, or at least get an EU market unit.

Also, it might be possible to upgrade the firmware with a global version, but I have no clue how to go about doing that.

it is entirely possible that the Chinese variant is intentionally set to not allow you to change the launcher, although I am just guessing.

EDIT: The version I have, the build number is JSN-L22 8.2.0.101 (C185).
24th October 2018, 05:36 PM |#5  
Honor Supporter
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical_Mir

I'm sorry I have no idea how your would go about downgrading the firmware on the honor 8x.

Honestly, the phone has been globally released, and I would return that Chinese unit, and get the global retail version if possible in USA, or at least get an EU market unit.

Also, it might be possible to upgrade the firmware with a global version, but I have no clue how to go about doing that.

it is entirely possible that the Chinese variant is intentionally set to not allow you to change the launcher, although I am just guessing.

EDIT: The version I have, the build number is JSN-L22 8.2.0.101 (C185).

Looks like the global version doesn't support enough bands for me to use it in the USA effectively. Oh well. If I can't get it figured out tonight I am going to send it back. The retailer I bought it off on Ebay already sent me a return shipping label. So we will see what's going on tonight. Worst case I have to go back to my crappy lg v10 until I can find something else. Any suggestions on a different mid-budget phone just in case I have to send this one back?
Thanks
24th October 2018, 07:46 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

Looks like the global version doesn't support enough bands for me to use it in the USA effectively. Oh well. If I can't get it figured out tonight I am going to send it back. The retailer I bought it off on Ebay already sent me a return shipping label. So we will see what's going on tonight. Worst case I have to go back to my crappy lg v10 until I can find something else. Any suggestions on a different mid-budget phone just in case I have to send this one back?
Thanks

Nokia 7 plus, the Nokia 6.1 Plus with stock android and unlockable bootloader is a good option in the midrange segment.

Mi A2 is decent, but has it's drawbacks like no headphone jack, and a fairly small (3080 mah) battery by today's standards.

The Mi Redmi Note 5 pro and the Mi Redmi Note 6 pro are also good, but come with MIUI which may not appeal to many. You can put your own custom launcher, but some people prefer stock.
25th October 2018, 01:46 PM |#7  
Honor Supporter
OP Junior Member

More
So nothing I did worked, and I couldn't change the region. But I did notice that even after a factory reset of the phone that google services stayed on the phone. I know this is a long shot, but is it possible that the gms installer corrupted something? if so, how would I go about uninstalling?
28th October 2018, 06:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank You, I too had this launcher problem ... but now when I make it default, it is forcing me to add a screen password/pin. Not allowing me to install without a pin/password. This is irritating.
31st October 2018, 09:05 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Thanks.

I also have the Chinese version of the phone with the same model number. I can't change my default launcher to any launcher i download either. There's no button to do it. Can you let me know if you're able to do it?
31st October 2018, 11:43 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

I have the Chinese version of the phone, Model number JSN-AL00a I had it imported into the USA. The first thing that I did with the device is factory reset it and use the gms installer

Hi doesntfazer,
would you be so kind to tell me where did you download your GMS installer? Have you got that link, yet?
My Chinese phone is JSN-AL00a just like your: I downloaded and installed so many packages of GMS installer, but none of them did worked for me.

10x in advance

--- EDIT
Solved! (Thanks, btw)
I found a solution here: https://youtu.be/FubclG3t-3A
(important was the answer of ED KAN user: he made my day!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Matteo Mit. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Matteo Mit. Ad-Free
31st October 2018, 07:46 PM |#11  
Honor Supporter
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pausethegame

I also have the Chinese version of the phone with the same model number. I can't change my default launcher to any launcher i download either. There's no button to do it. Can you let me know if you're able to do it?

I had to send it back. I couldn't get it working
The Following User Says Thank You to doesntfazer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doesntfazer Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)