[8.1.x][OFFICIAL PREVIEW] CarbonROM | cr-6.1 [berkeley]

Search This thread

Thunderbolt69

Jul 18, 2011
Cookeville
how is this rom working on you US mate 9 so far?
Could you please let us know about the camera quality?
The built in camera app isn't the greatest as far as quality but I'm using this magisk module of the stock camera app and it works great. Good quality photos. Everything else with the ROM has been running fine with no issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180310-095810.jpg
    Screenshot_20180310-095810.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,397
Reactions: sghens

D_avi_D

May 13, 2012
Extremely fast on P10 +!
Can somebody explain to me how can I root it now?
Also, is there a way to remove the search bar on the home screen?(a bit ugly imo)

D_avi_D

May 13, 2012
I found a bug. When I receive a SMS and I'm on some other app and when I reply through the heads up upon pressing the send button the app I was in closes.

max05xiii

Jun 27, 2016
This rom is the best for me right now on mate 10 pro. It's the only one I could get stock camera working on 8.1. If anyone wants to try, download olddroid stock hauwei cam, and install the zip using magisk. Photo previews still don't work from camera app, but it's better than aosp camera for sure.

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
New Build

A new build has been uploaded. The system is using the April Security patches and contains the latest and greatest Carbon features.

Some of the notable Features added:
  • CarbonGestures
  • full rootless Substratum support (Flip the switch in CF -> Privacy/Security for that)
  • Customizable Launcher
  • Battery and Notification LED customizations
  • Recents customizations

The OP also has been updated to our new Noct thread template. The builds we're releasing are tested and approved by the team behind CarbonROM but don't match the standards to go officially Weekly. To prevent that confusion, we decided to go with the label OFFICIAL_PREVIEW from now on (that is, with the next build as I noticed that DEV_PREVIEW is probably not the best term to describe it while typing this up :D) as its a preview of what is to come, form the official team behind CarbonROM.

Code:
3334f48bb1122110e7b7f25cd3617673  systemCarbon_20180406.img

As always, let us know about bugs and issues and happy flashing.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IfblItr.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub... and at CarbonROM Gerrit.

Pre-Disclaimer:
    THIS IS AN DEV PREVIEW BUILD. The intent is to showcase what is coming up soon.
    Please keep any problems with those builds in this thread, we don't accept any bugreports for preview builds anywhere else.
    Also, we know this works on other treble devices. Please be aware that we can only provide limited support for those.

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash!

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Join our Discord server! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Notice:
    This build includes GApps for now.
    Before you flash, make sure you're on the latest 8.x stock builds, then flash the system.img in fastboot.

Download Mirror
    Changelog
    GitHub
    Gerrit
    Device and Kernel sources

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CarbonROM, ROM for the Honor View 10

Contributors
    Myself5, CarbonROM, berkeley-dev Team
    Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2018-02-22
    Last Updated 2018-04-15
    Actually AVB can be disabled, it has to be disabled to boot non-stock ROMs. I have a ZIP which can disable it. All it does is give you a popup after boot about a partition mismatch but the phone works fine.

So you think, in theory, with AVB disable, this ROM should be compatible? (in theory ofc)

I never said it can't be disabled :p

As a slight OT: its not mandatory to fully disable AVB on ROMs that are designed for taimen. taimen ROMs ship vbmeta images, that contain the AVB signatures. Due to the design its necessary to disable AVB for /vendor, which is done in the kernel by removing the AVB mount flag in the dtb. Although we're currently looking into properly generating the vendor avb signatures too.
    Nonetheless, flashable GApps are likely going to cross those plans and will require to disable AVB on system. Therefore, I'd be happy if you could share that AVB disabler zip me (or release it to the public) so that @frap129 and me can do some testing with seperate GApps.

Now on to your question. I just spent an hour trying to gather some facts for the following statement:
    Treble is not supposed to give you "one ROM for all devices", nor will it ever be able to provide just that.
    Trebles requirement is that you can use "stock AOSP" on the device. Yes. HOWEVER: That doesn't mean it has to the be same single AOSP image for every device. Treble still requires configurations on that System image.
    • The system images VNDK is configured to work with an 8.0 treble vendor. That would mean you need to use an 8.0 vendor on your Pixel too.
    • The compatibility matrix and the manifest.xml on system specify what HAL treble has to expect/load from /vendor. Those likely differ.
    • There will always be some small overlay differences, features that one device supports which the other doesn't or configs that differ. Auto-brightness steps would be a good example for that.

It is true, that this ROM works on multiple devices, yes. So far, those are pretty much all very similiar in terms of HALs to load and hardware. There is barely any difference between the View 10, Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro and others. Things that are different are handled in the kernel (like the Display Technology) and don't affect HALs.

TL;DR + My personal opinion: Whereas treble ROMs might boot (assuming you match all those requirements) a "common ROM for all devices" (which I am starting to think is what everyone expects from treble) is not what you want to use, nor what treble has been designed for.
    A new build (systemCarbon_20180303.img) has been uploaded.

It includes support for the US Model, and Fingerprint Gestures. To enable them, go to Settings -> CarbonFibers -> Buttons and tick enable navbar. That will disable the navbar and automatically enable the FPC gestures.

Additionally some new features got merged to the codebase. Happy flashing :)
    New Build

A new build has been uploaded. The system is using the April Security patches and contains the latest and greatest Carbon features.

Some of the notable Features added:
    • CarbonGestures
    • full rootless Substratum support (Flip the switch in CF -> Privacy/Security for that)
    • Customizable Launcher
    • Battery and Notification LED customizations
    • Recents customizations

The OP also has been updated to our new Noct thread template. The builds we're releasing are tested and approved by the team behind CarbonROM but don't match the standards to go officially Weekly. To prevent that confusion, we decided to go with the label OFFICIAL_PREVIEW from now on (that is, with the next build as I noticed that DEV_PREVIEW is probably not the best term to describe it while typing this up :D) as its a preview of what is to come, form the official team behind CarbonROM.

Code:
    3334f48bb1122110e7b7f25cd3617673  systemCarbon_20180406.img

As always, let us know about bugs and issues and happy flashing.
    I uploaded a new build yesterday (but forgot to announce it here, oups). It includes customisable forced app aspect ratio, the latest ASBs, Carbon patches, and devicetree sources.

That means things like the SDCard Notification are fixed, as well as the Signal strength issues.

As we've moved to zips now, we also no longer include GApps.
    Please flash GApps on your own. I recommend MindTheGapps (those are what were builtin before, too).

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Happy Flashing.

P.S: Non View 10 users: You _should_ be able to flash the build just fine after removing the device check in the updater_script (First two lines), the zip itself still only alters the system.img. The included boot.img is empty and doesn't get flashed. It's only in there as a boot.img is required for zip builds. As always though: We only test this on the View 10 and you operate at your own risk :p