FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Honor Re-Opens bootloader Unlocking on a Limited Trial for XDA

4,389 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,238

By svetius, User Experience Admin on 3rd September 2018, 06:12 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
Honor's recent decision to end bootloader unlocks for their phones upset the entire community, us included, and we've been working feverishly to get them to change the decision. That said, it takes time for complaints to climb the ladder of such a big company, and we've had to settle for baby steps.

We asked Honor for the reason behind this action and this is what they said:
Quote:

"\The unlock code application service was closed on May 24th for all Huawei/ Honor products as a security measure and to avoid issues caused by ROM flashing. The decision to close the page ensured Huawei/ Honor could continue to provide an excellent user experience for all global fans.

XDA Developers are actively engaged in software development and they constantly provide valuable suggestions to optimize Honor products. Based on their feedback, that unlocked bootloaders make it easier for them to develop and create, Honor has decided to re-open bootloader unlock on an exclusive number of codes to the XDA Developer community.

The unlock codes are available for download exclusively to XDA Developers on a first-come-first-served basis via this online form....Update: thank you to all that applied for an unlock code. We are no longer taking requests. Unlock codes will be sent out in batches, starting the week of 25 September and continuing until the end of the year. Further instructions will go out via XDA PM asap. . XDA users can apply for the codes using the form and all applicants will have the opportunity to share their feedback. It might take several weeks to receive an unlock code after requesting one, but we'll work with Honor to expedite the process as much as possible.

XDA will continue to work with Honor to give users a strong voice when decisions are made that affect their user experience. Finally, they had this to say:
Quote:

Honor phones and systems have gone through rigorous testing and improvements, which is why Honor is able to offer great products at good prices for global digital natives.

The Following 100 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift svetius Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 06:15 PM
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

Honor's recent decision to end bootloader unlocks for their phones upset the entire community, us included, and we've been working feverishly to get them to change the decision. That said, it takes time for complaints to climb the ladder of such a big company, and we've had to settle for baby steps.

We asked Honor for the reason behind this action and this is what they said:

XDA Developers are actively engaged in software development and they constantly provide valuable suggestions to optimize Honor products. Based on their feedback, that unlocked bootloaders make it easier for them to develop and create, Honor has decided to re-open bootloader unlock on an exclusive number of codes to the XDA Developer community.

The unlock codes are available for download exclusively to XDA Developers on a first-come-first-served basis via this online form. XDA users can apply for the codes using the form and all applicants will have the opportunity to share their feedback. It might take several weeks to receive an unlock code after requesting one, but we'll work with Honor to expedite the process as much as possible.

XDA will continue to work with Honor to give users a strong voice when decisions are made that affect their user experience. Finally, they had this to say:

Only for Honor devices?

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daryl18 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Daryl18 Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 06:31 PM
OP User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 7,238

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl18

Only for Honor devices?

Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift svetius Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 07:01 PM
Thanks Meter: 917

Donate to Me
More
This is great! +1xp to Honor!

Sent from my kminiltexx using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to hackintosh5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hackintosh5 Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 07:10 PM
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Applied for the Code hope they will provide
The Following User Says Thank You to Criston For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Criston Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 07:17 PM
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Well I am a Huawei owner and I already have my code. But I would like to still thank XDA for pushing this, and actually doing something.
Really hoping Huawei will come up with a solution.

To be fair, I kinda understand them. As it is right now, the OS on the phone is way too fragile, and you can end in a permanent brick way too easy.
But that is something they should fix on their end and not punish users for wanting to have control over these great devices.
Like, I love my Mate 10 Pro. It's one of the best on the market I believe. And hell, I am ready to purchase a Mate 20 (Pro?) if it comes out. But only, if we get custom OS support. Don't get me wrong, I actually like EMUI, and I totally don't get the complaints about EMUI. Trust me. If you complain about it, go and try Touchwiz. You will know hell. However, at some point, Huawei will stop providing updates or will focus on later models. At that point, I would still like to stay 'fresh' and have a lean OS. I had an S3 LTE, a Note 2, Note 4, LG G4, LG G Pro 2, and Cyanogen/Lineage and the others have given these devices new life.

Ps.: tl;dr: If we get custom roms, I keep buying them, my family will buy them, my friends will buy. If not, well, we all go to other brands.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to h8Aramex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift h8Aramex Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 07:20 PM
Thanks Meter: 579

Donate to Me
More
This isn't just spitting in the face of users right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ming3r For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ming3r Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 07:21 PM
Flag Borken (Hessen)
Thanks Meter: 2,579

Donate to Me
More
Hope they change the decision and permanent opening bootloader again.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2WildFirE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 2WildFirE Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 08:12 PM
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,006

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8Aramex

Well I am a Huawei owner and I already have my code. But I would like to still thank XDA for pushing this, and actually doing something.
Really hoping Huawei will come up with a solution.

To be fair, I kinda understand them. As it is right now, the OS on the phone is way too fragile, and you can end in a permanent brick way too easy.
But that is something they should fix on their end and not punish users for wanting to have control over these great devices.
Like, I love my Mate 10 Pro. It's one of the best on the market I believe. And hell, I am ready to purchase a Mate 20 (Pro?) if it comes out. But only, if we get custom OS support. Don't get me wrong, I actually like EMUI, and I totally don't get the complaints about EMUI. Trust me. If you complain about it, go and try Touchwiz. You will know hell. However, at some point, Huawei will stop providing updates or will focus on later models. At that point, I would still like to stay 'fresh' and have a lean OS. I had an S3 LTE, a Note 2, Note 4, LG G4, LG G Pro 2, and Cyanogen/Lineage and the others have given these devices new life.

Ps.: tl;dr: If we get custom roms, I keep buying them, my family will buy them, my friends will buy. If not, well, we all go to other brands.

Well I for one do NOT understand them. It's absolutely NONE of their business what we (who paid good money for OUR phones!) do with the devices! If we brick them or whatever breaks - it doesn't concern Huawei at all since it's not covered by any kind of warranty after we unlock the bootloader.

I bought the View 10 ONLY because of the Honor Open Source program and of course right after I got the damn thing everything shut down.

I for one will NOT support a company that treats their paying customers like dirt - this is my first and most definitely LAST Huawei/Honor device unless they do an about face, let us unlock our bootloaders and support custom roms. 😠
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Nimueh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nimueh Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 08:52 PM
Recognized Contributor
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 7,382

Donate to Me
More
This is great news. I'm glad that the talks with them went somewhere. Good job guys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Surge1223 Ad-Free
3rd September 2018, 08:54 PM
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,980

Donate to Me
More
While I truly appreciate the effort from everyone involved in this action, this doesn't help anything. If the devices are not open for everyone, they are not open for anyone.

This is the equivalent of not escalating a situation with an angry customer and giving him what he wants, a special treatment, while all the others won't get it.

That's not fair at all.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to KreAch3R For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KreAch3R Ad-Free
Subscribe to Thread