FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 GPU

[Magisk] [EMUI 8.0] Root Honor View 10, Mate 10 (Pro) (Huawei Treble Devices)

1,800 posts
Thanks Meter: 46,713

By topjohnwu, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 14th February 2018, 12:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Magisk has officially landed on the lovely Treble enabled Huawei devices! Props to Huawei reaching out and sent me a device for development
Instead of holding it off and wait till the next proper release, I decide to release it here so those willing to root their device can give it a try.

These Huawei Treble devices use an interesting setup: it no longer has a boot and recovery partition, but instead has a kernel partition, a ramdisk partition, and a recovery_ramdisk partition. Both boot and recovery share the same kernel, but with separate ramdisks on separate partitions. Since Magisk modifies the ramdisk in boot images, the patches will have to be applied to the ramdisk partition. This nature will very likely to also slightly change how custom recovery will be installed, my bet is similar to Pixel devices which ships with a full ramdisk image, and should be flashed to the recovery_ramdisk partition.
This build is only tested with Honor View 10, but it should work with Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro in theory since these devices are very similar.

Enough of the rambling, let's get right into it!

Instructions
If your device have TWRP support, just directly flash it via TWRP. For devices without TWRP yet (currently all Huawei Treble devices), you can follow the instructions below:
  1. Install latest Magisk Manager from the Official Thread
  2. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Update Channel > Custom, and insert the following URL: https://goo.gl/jefZKH
  3. Follow the instructions of "Install Via Magisk Manager" in the main thread, but instead of providing the boot image (which these devices do NOT have), provide the stock ramdisk.img.
    If you are using EU View 10 with model BKL-L09, you can download the stock ramdisk.img I extracted from official OTAs in the attachments
    If you have stock ramdisk images for other devices, please share them and I'll add them to the OP.
    Make sure you are installing Magisk-v15.4(1541), which is only available through the custom channel you've set in step 2.
  4. Pull the patched image with adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img, and flash the patched ramdisk via fastboot:
    fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
  5. Reboot and you shall have a properly rooted device passing SafetyNet, start playing with some Magisk modules!
Donation
https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180213-221125.jpg
Views:	9450
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	4419234  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Magisk-v15.4(1541).zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.38 MB, 9960 views)
File Type: txt huawei.txt - [Click for QR Code] (462 Bytes, 69722 views)
File Type: img BKL-L09_ramdisk.img - [Click for QR Code] (16.00 MB, 4962 views)
File Type: img BLA-L29_ramdisk.img - [Click for QR Code] (16.00 MB, 2598 views)
File Type: img STF-L09_ramdisk.img - [Click for QR Code] (16.00 MB, 2438 views)
File Type: img VKY-L29_ramdisk.img - [Click for QR Code] (16.00 MB, 1756 views)
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to topjohnwu For This Useful Post: [ View ]

14th February 2018, 02:09 AM |#2  
Honor Enthusiast
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjohnwu

Magisk has officially landed on the lovely Treble enabled Huawei devices! Props to Huawei reaching out and sent me a device for development
Instead of holding it off and wait till the next proper release, I decide to release it here so those willing to root their device can give it a try.

These Huawei Treble devices use an interesting setup: it no longer has a boot and recovery partition, but instead has a kernel partition, a ramdisk partition, and a recovery_ramdisk partition. Both boot and recovery share the same kernel, but with separate ramdisks on separate partitions. Since Magisk modifies the ramdisk in boot images, the patches will have to be applied to the ramdisk partition. This nature will very likely to also slightly change how custom recovery will be installed, my bet is similar to Pixel devices which ships with a full ramdisk image, and should be flashed to the recovery_ramdisk partition.
This build is only tested with Honor View 10, but it should work with Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro in theory since these devices are very similar.

Enough of the rambling, let's get right into it!

Instructions
If your device have TWRP support, just directly flash it via TWRP. For devices without TWRP yet (currently all Huawei Treble devices), you can follow the instructions below:

1. Install latest Magisk Manager from the Official Thread
  2. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Update Channel > Custom, and insert the following URL: https://goo.gl/jefZKH
  3. Follow the instructions of "Install Via Magisk Manager" in the main thread, but instead of providing the boot image (which these devices do NOT have), provide the stock ramdisk.img.
    If you are using EU View 10 with model BKL-L09, you can download the stock ramdisk.img I extracted from official OTAs in the attachments
    If you have stock ramdisk images for other devices, please share them and I'll add them to the OP.
    Make sure you are installing Magisk-v15.4(1541), which is only available through the custom channel you've set in step 2.
  4. Pull the patched image with adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img, and flash the patched ramdisk via fastboot:
    fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
  5. Reboot and you shall have a properly rooted device passing SafetyNet, start playing with some Magisk modules!
Donation
https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu

Finally!! was waiting for this.... Thank You.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
14th February 2018, 02:35 AM |#3  
Honor Supporter
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Awesome mate. This also working with Huawei P10 plus running Treble V9. Thank you thank you
14th February 2018, 02:43 AM |#4  
Honor Fanatic
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag I can't see to tell where I am
Thanks Meter: 3,004

Donate to Me
More
Nice! Great job
14th February 2018, 02:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
We can do this follow instructions from completely stock bkl l09 C636? My 1st honor phone.. Not sure it have those locked boot loader like xiaomi or not..
14th February 2018, 03:14 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Help..
Hey man, Thanks a lot.. It's really nice to have magisk for v10.. I am kind of a noob.. Can u provide step by step instructions and Patched Img for Indian version BKL-09..

Thanks
14th February 2018, 03:20 AM |#7  
Honor Supporter
Thanks Meter: 1

More
does this require an unlocked bootloader?
14th February 2018, 03:45 AM |#8  
Honor Enthusiast
Flag Mumbai

More
Root Final Stage issue!
I have done all the steps but on the last stage when I try to flash ramdisk it's giving me an error failed (remote: command not allowed) please help...thanks
14th February 2018, 03:58 AM |#9  
Honor Supporter
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj_Param

I have done all the steps but on the last stage when I try to flash ramdisk it's giving me an error failed (remote: command not allowed) please help...thanks

This could be due to locked bootloader...
The Following User Says Thank You to bhargavpa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhargavpa Ad-Free
14th February 2018, 04:00 AM |#10  
Honor Enthusiast
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavpa

This could be due to locked bootloader...

Thanks... Let me try again after unlocking bootloader.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
14th February 2018, 04:15 AM |#11  
Honor Enthusiast
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Wow, that's freaky fast man.. you are wonderful.
since we don't have official firmware released yet and out of concern I'm asking, is there any chance of bootloop or brick?
I understand it shouldn't be if we follow steps in OP, but sometimes people miss a step or do something else, so what's the worst can we expect?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)