FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The Definitive Answer on Charging a HP Touchpad

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By YesApples, Junior Member on 6th July 2017, 10:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

First time poster long time reader.

I have read 20 billion forums where people continually say that "everything charges a touchpad" and "nothing charges a touchpad but original charger"

we are 5 years after launch and crash. Judging by forum activity people still have and use their touchpads.

what charges a HP touchpad? Do you need a special cable? Do you need a special charger? can some one after all this time give the definitive answer?

I have read through many posts on this forum and multiple others and it seems this question has not be clearly answered.

im looking for a "only a hp charger" or "500v and 90a will do it" or "connect nipples to car battery and furiously tongue the charging port".

to understand why I am asking this question. I dont have my original charger and i dont want to pay $40 for an american charger ( I dont live in America) I use a 5v 2.1a phone charger and it gives me the "to reliably charge" screen.
 
 
6th July 2017, 01:00 PM |#2  
shumash's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,823
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesApples

Hello,

First time poster long time reader.

I have read 20 billion forums where people continually say that "everything charges a touchpad" and "nothing charges a touchpad but original charger"

we are 5 years after launch and crash. Judging by forum activity people still have and use their touchpads.

what charges a HP touchpad? Do you need a special cable? Do you need a special charger? can some one after all this time give the definitive answer?

I have read through many posts on this forum and multiple others and it seems this question has not be clearly answered.

im looking for a "only a hp charger" or "500v and 90a will do it" or "connect nipples to car battery and furiously tongue the charging port".

to understand why I am asking this question. I dont have my original charger and i dont want to pay $40 for an american charger ( I dont live in America) I use a 5v 2.1a phone charger and it gives me the "to reliably charge" screen.

Some are more picky than others, but I charge mine with any 5v, 2a charger. Time to fully charge varies, and if you use it while charging, it will not store much in the battery. Put it to sleep and let it charge until full.
7th July 2017, 05:42 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
So its more picky,

I am currently using a Belkin wallcharger that outputs 12w 2.4A. I have left my tablet plugged in and off for the last 24 hours and it wont turn on other then to tell me that to reliably charge I need the original charger. I have KK 4.4.4. Is this a typical charge time for these in other users experiances? how do we get it to charge with out an original cable or wallcharger?
10th July 2017, 07:09 AM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I too would like to get to the bottom of this. I use the original charger and cable and from a dead battery takes a goot 15hrs before it boots up. The only indication its charging is the home button LED that flashed back and forth. I've tried 3rd party chargers and none work. I've tried 3rd party cables and none work.
10th July 2017, 06:51 PM |#5  
shumash's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,823
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraque

I too would like to get to the bottom of this. I use the original charger and cable and from a dead battery takes a goot 15hrs before it boots up. The only indication its charging is the home button LED that flashed back and forth. I've tried 3rd party chargers and none work. I've tried 3rd party cables and none work.

It is a well-known fact that allowing the battery to fully discharge is problematic at best, disastrous at worst. None of the chargers are reliable when this occurs. The simple answer is don't let the battery go below about 10% before recharging, or you may not recover your tablet without having to debrick it.
The Following User Says Thank You to shumash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shumash Ad-Free
23rd July 2017, 08:08 AM |#6  
MakeMeFibonacci's Avatar
Member
Flag Rockford
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
This has been my experience:

Any old charger and cable will charge a Touchpad so long as the battery isn't completely dead. If the battery is completely dead, then there is a way to get enough power to turn it on without needing the original charger or cable. You simply plug it into the USB port of any computer and let it sit. Let it sit for a long time. I let mine sit for a day before trying to power it back on.

YMMV, but I've had success with that method.
10th August 2017, 10:03 PM |#7  
nevertells2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sunny Central Florida!!!
Thanks Meter: 1,138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesApples

Hello,

First time poster long time reader.

I have read 20 billion forums where people continually say that "everything charges a touchpad" and "nothing charges a touchpad but original charger"

we are 5 years after launch and crash. Judging by forum activity people still have and use their touchpads.

what charges a HP touchpad? Do you need a special cable? Do you need a special charger? can some one after all this time give the definitive answer?

I have read through many posts on this forum and multiple others and it seems this question has not be clearly answered.

im looking for a "only a hp charger" or "500v and 90a will do it" or "connect nipples to car battery and furiously tongue the charging port".

to understand why I am asking this question. I dont have my original charger and i dont want to pay $40 for an american charger ( I dont live in America) I use a 5v 2.1a phone charger and it gives me the "to reliably charge" screen.

You are right about the many discussions about what chargers work with the TouchPad and which ones don't. I have sat in on many of them as well as done some testing of my own. The rule of thumb is it is best to use the official HP TouchPad charger. HP for some reason made the charging circuits proprietary on the TouchPad so that if you use a third party charger rated the same as the official one, it will charge but only at the lowest rate of 500mA. You can also charge the TP from a PC usb port, but again it is rated at 500mA. The catch is the TP uses more than 500mA when awake, so to use one of these methods, the TP has to be put to sleep or be turned off and will charge very slowly. That being said, you may find a third party charger that will charge the TP at the higher rate, but they are rare. At one time I was aware of a user who was modifying USB cords so that you could use a third party charger. He used to have a thread on RootzWiki forum, but that that forum was pretty much destroyed by spammers and his thread was lost. He had instructions with pictures and parts lists. Also, keep in mind, any good USB cable will work with the original HP charger. It's the modification that he was making to the cable that tricked the TP into thinking it is connected to a real HP charger.

However, I did find this post from a fellow that knows the mod one needs to make to get a third party charger to work with a TP:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=16

NT

PS. Here is a link to the entire thread if you want to read the whole thing, 4 pages: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1475537
12th August 2017, 05:16 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertells2

You are right about the many discussions about what chargers work with the TouchPad and which ones don't. I have sat in on many of them as well as done some testing of my own. The rule of thumb is it is best to use the official HP TouchPad charger. HP for some reason made the charging circuits proprietary on the TouchPad so that if you use a third party charger rated the same as the official one, it will charge but only at the lowest rate of 500mA. You can also charge the TP from a PC usb port, but again it is rated at 500mA. The catch is the TP uses more than 500mA when awake, so to use one of these methods, the TP has to be put to sleep or be turned off and will charge very slowly. That being said, you may find a third party charger that will charge the TP at the higher rate, but they are rare. At one time I was aware of a user who was modifying USB cords so that you could use a third party charger. He used to have a thread on RootzWiki forum, but that that forum was pretty much destroyed by spammers and his thread was lost. He had instructions with pictures and parts lists. Also, keep in mind, any good USB cable will work with the original HP charger. It's the modification that he was making to the cable that tricked the TP into thinking it is connected to a real HP charger.

However, I did find this post from a fellow that knows the mod one needs to make to get a third party charger to work with a TP:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=16

NT

PS. Here is a link to the entire thread if you want to read the whole thing, 4 pages: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1475537

I have confirmed all that you have said and now know this to be the definitive answer, since OP I have purchased 12 chargers advertising different automatic charge regulation features such as belkin "smart" chargers, none would charge over 500ma which of course as we now know is not sufficient to use the TP and takes days to charge, not what i would call functional.

I made a messy hack job charger.. im definitively not great at that and between an accident prone wife and 2 small children, my end result wasnt good enough to let charge alone next to the couch or something.

Finally, while i did all this I had a HP charger on order with an American wall plug ( i live in western Australia so different plug and long postage time) this charger works as expected and in my research was the only functional way to charge the TP

THANKS TEAM. we got there in the end.
13th August 2017, 03:35 AM |#9  
nevertells2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sunny Central Florida!!!
Thanks Meter: 1,138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesApples

I have confirmed all that you have said and now know this to be the definitive answer, since OP I have purchased 12 chargers advertising different automatic charge regulation features such as belkin "smart" chargers, none would charge over 500ma which of course as we now know is not sufficient to use the TP and takes days to charge, not what i would call functional.

I made a messy hack job charger.. im definitively not great at that and between an accident prone wife and 2 small children, my end result wasnt good enough to let charge alone next to the couch or something.

Finally, while i did all this I had a HP charger on order with an American wall plug ( i live in western Australia so different plug and long postage time) this charger works as expected and in my research was the only functional way to charge the TP

THANKS TEAM. we got there in the end.

12 chargers! Holy Cow!!!! I do remember that the guy who was building these cables purchased a USB connector and used surface mount resistors what he could fit inside the metal shell of the connector.

NT
31st March 2019, 06:31 PM |#10  
lil_king420's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Definitive answer... maybe...? 5.3+ volts and 2.0+ amps...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesApples

can some one after all this time give the definitive answer?

In seeking the same answer as you I seem to have stumbled upon a couple options that explain the answer...

Here I wanted to post a "Screenshot of HP forum answer regarding HP Tablet charger reqs" but the forum bots won't allow it...

So the screenshot the i wanted to include above will not post properly, i'll explain... the screenshot showed a h30434.www3.hp com/t5/Tablets-and-Mobile-Devices-Archive-Read-Only/Need-a-charger-for-my-HP-10-2101-Tablet/td-p/5962461" post on the HP support forum of someone asking basically the same question... specifically about the HP 10 2101 Tablet... forum user "Wyrenut" (has over 16,000 posts on the HP support forum) states confidently;
You can find one at pretty much any computer/electronics store, or online at amazon com
It just needs to be rated for a tablet - providing at least 2.0 amps of DC current and at least 5.3 volts, and a micro-USB port on the tablet end.
"

This seems to check out thus far in this quest for tablet power because I was able to find in my adapter bin a 5.1 volts DC @ 2.4 amp charger with a micro-USB end and after hours of being plugged in, and that has failed to charge an HP TouchPad 32GB I recently acquired without a charger. So I am currently seeking an adapter that will satisfy "Wyrenut's" stated requirements for an HP Tablet charger and once I get my hands on one, we will have the definitive answer and I will followup on this thread as well.

Useful infos to include in the definitive answer...?
www makeuseof com/tag/hp-touchpad-probably-not-bricked/" HP TouchPad Not Charging? Don’t Worry, It’s Probably Not Bricked!
HUGE thead...
forums.webosnation com/hp-touchpad/311591-hp-touchpad-won-t-turn-charge-5.html" HP TouchPad won't turn on or charge
Along discussion regarding TouchPad charging problems though I don't think it resolves anything.. it's lot of opine... a lot...
forums.webosnation com/hp-touchpad/311491-how-i-revived-my-dead-touchpad-6.html"How I revived my dead TouchPad
and another...
forums.webosnation com/hp-touchpad/296106-touchpad-won-t-charge.html" Touchpad won't charge?

I'll try to remember to follow up on this when I finally find a charger that is 5.3+ volts and 2.0+ amps to report my findings...

Good luck...
12th April 2019, 06:24 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
You Must Be of my Ilk!
I like posting to moldy old Touchpad Threads too!


Would love to see what you find out if they actually go to 2 AMPS although I have 8 actual TP chargers and 6 docks.....the chargers have been known to fail after a time.


Lip Lip Lip
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes