FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Make ROOT Permanet / System Read and Write to all Android ROMS for Tenderloin

475 posts
Thanks Meter: 235

By HP_TOUCHPAD, Senior Member on 24th September 2018, 06:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Extracting ramdisk image to change fstab.tenderloin to make system read and write allowing permanent root access using any ROM ever created for the HP Touchpad.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64-bit (All the software is open source and free, you can get the packages necessary for your distro)

Create a folder in /home (root) name it hpboot ( on the PC ) all work is done on the PC.
Open the custom ROM zip file and extract boot.img to the created directory hpboot
Open Terminal in the hpboot directory, all the commands needs to be enter there.

Text beginning with –>># are for information only. Do not paste into the Linux terminal window.

–>># The following will extract images from boot.img file located in the hpboot direcory.
–>># Copy and paste each individual line in the Terminal window one by one and wait until each command finish processing.

dumpimage -i boot.img kernel.uImage

dumpimage -i boot.img -p 1 ram

dd if=ram of=ramdisk.img.gz bs=64 skip=1

gunzip ramdisk.img.gz

mkdir ramdisk; cd ramdisk

cpio -i < ../ramdisk.img

–>>#The ramdisk files are uncompress in the hpboot/ramdisk directory

–>>#Open file fstab.tenderloin using (text editor) change mnt_flags of/system ext4 from ro to rw
–>>#Look like this when change from (ro ) read only to ( rw ) read and write.
–>>#<src> <mnt_point> <type> <mnt_flags and options>
–>>#/dev/store/cm-system /system ext4 rw,errors=panic

–>># Save and close the fstab.tenderloin file
–>># The next 3 steps will repack the files into the ramdisk and merge Kernel to create the finish boot image.

find . | cpio --create --format=’newc’ | gzip > ../ramdiskRW.img

cd ~/hpboot

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C none -a 0x00000000 -n “TENDERLOIN RW SYSTEM RAMDISK” -d ./ramdiskRW.img ./ramdisk.uImage

mkimage -A arm -T multi -C none -n “Tenderloin RW System” -d kernel.uImage:ramdisk.uImage uImage.Android_RW

–>>#Boot the touchpad into TWRP, connect to PC, copy uImage.Android_RW to the external Micro SDCard.
–>>#Select MOUNT and touch Boot, go back, touch Advanced, File Manager, touch external_sd, select uImage.Android_RW, touch Copy File, touch boot, touch select Current Folder.
–>>#You should have free space on your boot for both images. At the boot screen you will have the option of Android (with no permanet ROOT access) and Android_RW (RW System), you need to install SuperSu. You can use any of the two options or delete uImage.Android and then rename uImage.Android_RW to uImage.Android for one boot option.

You do not need to re flash the ROM, you can add this boot file and use it with your current installed working ROM.

The process works for all boot.img created for the HP Touchpad. If you have a ROM and would like to have system read and write access then you can do this.

Hopefully a Linux Guru will create a script for this, which will automate the process to 3 seconds!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free

28th October 2018, 06:37 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
I like tinkering with my TP but I am running @Windows 7 on a 32 bit.. any suggestions?
28th October 2018, 01:24 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Android is base on Linux OS.
Install vmware player and run ubuntu as a virtual machine, both are free.
The Following User Says Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
31st October 2018, 10:28 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,823

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

--SNIP--

Hopefully a Linux Guru will create a script for this, which will automate the process to 3 seconds!

Here's a shell script that automates the process (rename the extension from .txt to .sh). Put the script and boot image file in any directory and type
Code:
./rwcreate.sh
If it doesn't execute, it probably needs its permissions changed.. Right click the file you created, select 'properties'. In the properties window, select "Permissions" and check "allow executing as ..." or type
Code:
 chmod +x rwcreate.sh
in a terminal window
Attached Files
File Type: txt rwcreate.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.4 KB, 84 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shumash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shumash Ad-Free
2nd November 2018, 04:00 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks for your help and dedicating your time to make it easier for others.
I made suggestion to the script on correcting an error, on DU forum.

Now is just a click to get it done, but if we were in a perfect computer world, it could be even easier as to connect the HP Touchpad to PC using USB.
Then run the script and everything is complete!
Using adb pull command to get (boot.uImage) from hp boot directory, to PC.
Changes are done as per script.
adb push command new boot.uImage to hp boot directory, all done!
But making it easier, will make it more complicated and having to install more software and confusing!
2nd November 2018, 04:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2,823

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

Thanks for your help and dedicating your time to make it easier for others.
I made suggestion to the script on correcting an error, on DU forum.

Now is just a click to get it done, but if we were in a perfect computer world, it could be even easier as to connect the HP Touchpad to PC using USB.
Then run the script and everything is complete!
Using adb pull command to get (boot.uImage) from hp boot directory, to PC.
Changes are done as per script.
adb push command new boot.uImage to hp boot directory, all done!
But making it easier, will make it more complicated and having to install more software and confusing!

Done. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to shumash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shumash Ad-Free
2nd November 2018, 04:17 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumash

Done. Thanks.

The script on this forum is correct, but in the DU the file was wrong, corrected now.
Thanks for the fix and help!
The Following User Says Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)