FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver, armhf on the HP Touchpad

435 posts
Thanks Meter: 219

By HP_TOUCHPAD, Senior Member on 20th March 2019, 06:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
How to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionix Beaver, armhf on the HP Touchpad Desktop Environment XFCE and LXDE on a partition as chroot.
This guide will only work after successfully completed and installed the following ROMS following this process:
HP TOUCHPAD Optimize for Android with Swap Partition and SKZ Kernel_ Flash Files_
This is more technical oriented than just for the regular user, but it is easy to install for everyone. The flash zip files are provided to be install using TWRP Recovery and the installation of Ubuntu will be done with no command input from the user, it is all done automatically.
The HP Touchpad is an old device but it works perfectly with this set up and provides the screen area than can also be use to interact with Ubuntu by only using the Tablet with no PC required.

The use of the swap partition is essential for this to work, it provides extra Memory for Ubuntu to run properly without any other process getting kill.
ROM tested: Both ROMS will work and provide similar performance.
Evervolv 7.1.2 with Skz Kernel optimize with swap partition
Dirty Unicorns 8.1 Skz Kernel optimize with swap partition

As always be sure to Backup your Tablet before doing any storage modifications. Follow this guide: Click Here for How to Backup and Restore
Creating a 2 Gigabyte Partition to install any Linux version, I recommend Ubuntu.
The quick and simple process is by flashing the following file using TWRP Recovery, it works on all the models, 16g, 32g or 64g.
It can also be done manually with a complete installed system and the process is explain all the way at the end of this guide.

By flashing this file the /data partition will be deleted, a 2G Linux partition created and /data created again from all the space available.
Click Here to Download Flash file to create a 2G Linux Partition
If for any reason you do not want to keep the 2G Linux partition flash this file and the /data partition will be same size as before.
By flashing this file the /Linux and /data partition will be deleted and /data created again from all the space available.
Click Here to Download Flash file to remove the 2G Linux Partition
Root access needs to be flash.
Click here to download SR5-SuperSU-v2.82
Apps to be install in Android
Click Here for Linux Deploy
Click Here for VNC Viewer

The following are original full screenshots of the Linux Deploy settings and Ubuntu properties on the HP Touchpad.

Recommend settings for Linux Deploy

Recommend settings for Linux Deploy for the HP Touchpad
Recommend properties for the Ubuntu container

Recommend properties for Ubuntu
After all settings are applied, then by the top right menu, Install when done Configure and finally Start and use VNC viewer for GUI interface.
Screenshots inside Ubuntu with some programs open.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

The following is the process to manually create the 2G Linux partition using adb shell or in TWRP Terminal, if no PC is available.
Code:
Using a 16g Model as an example, use your own free storage available. 
Get free size available in data
df -h 
un-mount Data

Check files system first:
e2fsck -fy /dev/store/cm-data

Rezise after check:
resize2fs -f /dev/store/cm-data 5g

To use LVM must be in:
cd /boot/usr/sbin
Resise using LVM
LVM
./lvm.static lvreduce -L 5g /dev/store/cm-data

Create Linux partition from all the free space available
./lvm.static lvcreate -l 100%FREE -C y -M y --major 254 --minor 8 -n /dev/store/linux

Format partition
mke2fs -E lazy_itable_init=0 -t ext4 /dev/store/linux
Verify
./lvm.static lvs
The code with results.

Code:
Get free size available in data
df -h 
results
/boot/usr/sbin # df -h
/dev/mapper/store-cm--data
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

11.0G    942.4M     10.1G   8% /data
unmount Data
Code:
Check files system first:
e2fsck -fy /dev/store/cm-data

Results
e2fsck 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/store/cm-data: 5168/735840 files (4.2% non-contiguous), 287448/2940928 blocks
Code:
Rezise after check:
resize2fs -f /dev/store/cm-data 5g

results
/boot/usr/sbin # resize2fs -f /dev/store/cm-data 8g
resize2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
Resizing the filesystem on /dev/store/cm-data to 2097152 (4k) blocks.
The filesystem on /dev/store/cm-data is now 2097152 blocks long.
LVM
./lvm.static lvreduce -L 5g /dev/store/cm-data

Results
/boot/usr/sbin # ./lvm.static lvreduce -L 8g /dev/store/cm-data
  WARNING: Reducing active logical volume to 8.00 GiB
  THIS MAY DESTROY YOUR DATA (filesystem etc.)
Do you really want to reduce cm-data? [y/n]: y
  Reducing logical volume cm-data to 8.00 GiB
  ffff0000-ffff1000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0          [vectors]: mlock failed: Cannot allocate memory
  ffff0000-ffff1000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0          [vectors]: munlock failed: Cannot allocate memory
  Logical volume cm-data successfully resized
Code:
Create Linux partition from all the free space available
./lvm.static lvcreate -l 100%FREE -C y -M y --major 254 --minor 8 -n /dev/store/linux

results
/boot/usr/sbin # ./lvm.static lvcreate -l 100%FREE -C y -M y --major 254 --minor
 7 -n /dev/store/linux
  ffff0000-ffff1000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0          [vectors]: mlock failed: Cannot allocate memory
  ffff0000-ffff1000 r-xp 00000000 00:00 0          [vectors]: munlock failed: Cannot allocate memory
  Logical volume "linux" created
Code:
Format partition
mke2fs -E lazy_itable_init=0 -t ext4 /dev/store/linux

results
/boot/usr/sbin # mke2fs -E lazy_itable_init=0 -t ext4 /dev/store/linux
mke2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
Discarding device blocks: done                            
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
211328 inodes, 843776 blocks
42188 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=864026624
26 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8128 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200

Allocating group tables: done                            
Writing inode tables: done                            
Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
Code:
Verify
./lvm.static lvs

Results
/boot/usr/sbin # ./lvm.static lvs
  LV        VG    Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  cm-cache  store -wcma- 200.00m                                      
  cm-data   store -wima-   8.00g                                      
  cm-system store -wcma-   1.80g                                      
  linux     store -wcma-   3.22g                                      
  media     store -wima- 504.00m                                      
  swap      store -wcma- 504.00m
Backup and Restore Linux partition to the same Tablet or any other HP Touchpad.
Backup
dd if=/dev/store/linux of=/sdcard/linux.img

Restore
dd if=/sdcard/linux.img of=/dev/store/linux
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free

11th April 2019, 01:03 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Hi @HP_TOUCHPAD,

Man, you just get better and better... Just stumbled across this page, by random clicking... and found there is now a more updated / newer Linux distro available for the HP Touchpad.

I played around with some build of Linux many years ago on Touchpad, back in the days before roms were DM compiled. I had a triple boot of WebOS, Android and Linux. I remember the Linux build had a naff / faulty video driver, and so was never optimised. That said, I still went ahead and installed it...

So does this build use a fairly recent distro of Ubuntu, with working graphics driver. Can this build be installed to triple boot along with WebOS, Android and Ubuntu... / Or is this build a kinda hacked Android build that sits in the Android partition?.

I have got a lot of backing up, moving data around.... and plenty of reading to do !!

Cheers, Lister

ps, I saw a little while ago... there was a post / thread, where all the old roms had been re-compiled to take into account the swap partition. I've lost that thread, you couldn't point me in the right location could you please... cheers
11th April 2019, 03:46 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister Of Smeg

Hi @HP_TOUCHPAD,

Man, you just get better and better... Just stumbled across this page, by random clicking... and found there is now a more updated / newer Linux distro available for the HP Touchpad.
I use a desktop browser on this web page:
Click Here for the forum.xda-developers.com/hp-touchpad

I played around with some build of Linux many years ago on Touchpad, back in the days before roms were DM compiled. I had a triple boot of WebOS, Android and Linux. I remember the Linux build had a naff / faulty video driver, and so was never optimised. That said, I still went ahead and installed it...
As time goes by the software gets better, and will make better use of the hardware. Takes longer to write better code than to pack more RAM and CPU cores into a device.

So does this build use a fairly recent distro of Ubuntu, with working graphics driver. Can this build be installed to triple boot along with WebOS, Android and Ubuntu... / Or is this build a kinda hacked Android build that sits in the Android partition?.
This is a Chroot installation, sharing the Android kernel within Android. The Ubuntu is the latest 18.04 LTS, and also Debian latest can be install and many others Linux flavors, I selected Ubuntu as is stable compare to the others.
Is the best way to run Linux on the Tablet as the Kernel is 100 % stable, and with the use of the swap it adds more OS choices. Using Limbo app in Android the Tablet can run full install of Windows 98, Windows 2000 and a reduce windows XP.

I have got a lot of backing up, moving data around.... and plenty of reading to do !!
The tablet keep getting updated thanks to all the developers. Now Pie is available, LuneOS, Sailfish and possible other private custom OS setup out there.

Cheers, Lister

ps, I saw a little while ago... there was a post / thread, where all the old roms had been re-compiled to take into account the swap partition. I've lost that thread, you couldn't point me in the right location could you please... cheers

If you want to have fun with the "Tablet Toy" I have posted the following guides:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...-size-t3892060
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...d-lvm-t3889068
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...-copy-t3892047
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...epack-t3888242
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...te-to-t3846567
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...droid-t3889025
Following all those guides any ROM can be enable for swap. I modified the boot image of Evervolv 7.1.2 and Oreo 8.1 ( Android Pie has it built it, thanks to Flintman for incorporating the changes).
The ROM does not need to be recompile, is only the Ramdisk and possible the Kernel. If you feel like just to flash the file and be done with it, then this is the easy way:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-...-swap-t3901773
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)