FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Updated 4-23-19_HP TOUCHPAD Optimize for Android with Swap Partition Flash Files

435 posts
Thanks Meter: 219

By HP_TOUCHPAD, Senior Member on 19th February 2019, 12:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
For the first time ever the HP Touchpad will be use as intended; a Tablet and not as a Smartphone in Android OS.
Updated April 23rd of 2019: Easy Automatic process to create swap partition, changes to Ramdisk, Swap settings and Build.prop
The most important, back up any data before making any changes to the Tablet, follow this guide on how to do it using TWRP Recovery
Click here for Instructions on how to back up the ROM to computer and restore it to any HP Touchpad
Important, do not restore the /boot partition
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

For users that have webOS and Android
WebOS has the swap partition and it can be share with Android, there is no need to Flash the file Automatic_Wipe_All_and_Create_Android_with_Swap.
But to use Dirty Unicorns and Evervolv the Android /system partition must be 1400 MB, is a requirement of Android whether using a swap partition or not.
There are two options to resize the Android /system partition.
Inside webOS using Tailor: Click here for Tailor
Using the ToolBox: Click here to download the ToolBox
After the Android /system partition have been resize Flash the ROM and all the zip files in the order listed.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Extremely important TWRP Recovery Version must be 3.1
Click here to download TWRP Recovery 3.1

Easy Automatic process to Wipe All and Create Android partitions with Swap
Flash this file to make the HP Touchpad 100% Android with a 500 MB swap partition
Click Here to Download Automatic_Wipe_All_and_Create_Android_with _Swap

Correct Process to flash for all listed ROMS
Very important all files must be flash to all ROMs in the same order listed for download.
1. First the ROM
2. Boost Optimized Kernel, select the highest frequency your Tablet can handle. All Kernels are the same, the speed is preset to avoid installing any Kernel App in Android.
Do not install any Apps in Android to make the Tablet work faster, it will be the opposite. It will use more RAM and cause reboots, there is nothing to change.
This is a laptop with a touch screen keyboard not a phone.
3. Flash the Open Gapps according to the ROM version, is best to install Pico and build the system as need it.
4. The Keyboard fix is only for DU 8.1 and Evervolv 7.1.2, do not use for DU v13 (Pie)
If all is done specifically this way, the Tablet can be set up from the beginning with no issues and performs perfectly.

Dirty Unicorns v13 Android PIE
1.Click Here to Download the ROM
2.Click Here to Download the Boost Optimized settings with preset CPU Frequency
3.Click here to download Google Open Apps
Select Platform ARM, Android 9 and the Variant you want, Pico is recommended
The Keyboard fix is not need it for this ROM

Root access with SuperSu v2.82
Click Here to Download SR5-SuperSU-v2.82

Remove Android Swap Partition
If for any reason you do not like how the Tablet is working and you would like to use as before then flash this file
The swap partition size is 500 MB, it will be removed and the extra space will be added to USB_MEDIA ( External SD CARD ) making it 1 GB.
The Android file system will be untouched, the USB_MEDIA will be formatted and all data lost.
Move or copy any files in the USB_MEDIA to Android Data or PC before removing the swap partition.
Click here to download Removed_Android_Swap_Partition
After the swap partition has been remove Flash the original stock ROM again as is.

Re-creating Android Swap Partition again after removing it
This file will not create the swap partition for the first time, the file Automatic_Wipe_All_and_Create_Android_with_Swap.zi p must have been flashed and a swap partition successfully created the first time, then removed and this will create it again.
After deleting the swap partition, you would like to create it again, there is no need to rebuild all the file system, just flash this file.
The Android file system will be untouched, the USB_MEDIA will be reduce to 500 MB and extra space will be allocated to the swap partition of 500 MB.
Move or copy any files in the USB_MEDIA to Android Data or PC before re creating the swap partition.
Click here to download Re-create_Android_Swap_Partition_500MB
After Re-creating the swap partition the Kernels must be flash for the correct ROM, which are posted above.

Disclaimer: I am not a developer, just a regular user like YOU that have found a way to improve the Tablet and would like others to benefit by sharing the information.
I am not the creator of any ROM, Recovery or Kernel mentioned or used. All credits goes to the developers than have worked and provided the best software there is for our Tablet and there are way too many to mentioned, but everyone know who they are! Thanks a lot to all of YOU (Developers for the HP Touchpad)!
Special Thanks @flintman for all his work creating TWRP Recovery and the many customs ROMs, also @shumash for creating the Skz kernel providing higher CPU and GPU frequencies
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free

19th February 2019, 10:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Does seem pretty responsive, even though i have been downloading apps etc, to get it set up. I downloaded the Gapps as well not sure if that was mentioned in your post, but it will be necessary if you go with a clean install. With the DU 11/16 kernel couldnt get the play store to work. went back to the 6/18 and it worked but no videos would play...... so updated again to 11/16 and now both seem to be working ok. I think that could have been a problem with the initial ROMS, its been awhile so i cant remember but there were a few bugs there to work out as well. I will keep checking it out...

Thanks very much....much simpler
20th February 2019, 12:34 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
@ Touchie Pad,
Thanks for trying it out!
It will only work as intended by downloading the "Skz Kernel Optimize and Swap Partition enable" links provided.
It will not work at all by only downloading the ROM. The Dirty Unicorn ROM Kernel does not provide support for the swap file or optimized Android.
The proper Installation is:

1. Flash DU ROM "du_tenderloin-v12.5.3-20181116-0140-RC.zip" ( It has to be that in specific)

2. Flash one of the SKZ Kernel speed provided ( Without it, no optimization or use of the swap partition will happen"

3. You can install any Google Open Gapps, I have installed all version , please provide a link to the one that does not work for you and I will try it out!

4. If you want Root access you must install SuperSu and the SKZ Kernel allows System read and write ( is a complete open system)

Let me know if those were the steps you followed otherwise I will try to explain my instructions better!
The Following User Says Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
21st February 2019, 03:48 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Did the swap partition with the 2017.11.03 Evervolv build with nano Gapps and my tablet confuses me because it is so quick and responsive. Thank you HP_TOUCHPAD, shumash and everyone involved in making this happen.
21st February 2019, 04:12 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gborg3

Did the swap partition with the 2017.11.03 Evervolv build with nano Gapps and my tablet confuses me because it is so quick and responsive. Thank you HP_TOUCHPAD, shumash and everyone involved in making this happen.

It is FAST and you can do a lot on it, mostly is all about the settings apply in Kernel and Ramdisk that makes the magic and giving Android OS room to breath by placing in swap unnecessary services not need it at the moment, instead of killing it and been limited to only 1GB of RAM, it can expand allocating a lot of memory to the active application. Once you close the App Android will clean up the RAM and load it from the swap file and everything goes back to normal. Android is the perfect OS for swapping.
Can you share which Kernel speed worked for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
21st February 2019, 04:24 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

It is FAST and you can do a lot on it, mostly is all about the settings apply in Kernel and Ramdisk that makes the magic and giving Android OS room to breath by placing in swap unnecessary services not need it at the moment, instead of killing it and been limited to only 1GB of RAM, it can expand allocating a lot of memory to the active application. Once you close the App Android will clean up the RAM and load it from the swap file and everything goes back to normal. Android is the perfect OS for swapping.
Can you share which Kernel speed worked for you?

1782000 is what I flashed of the swap enabled kernel. That speed has been working well for me so I stuck with it. I am still using a few options in the L Speed app also. Nothing that contradicts the changes you have made. Just a few extra boosts and streamlining. The battery seems to drain more slowly also. I have not reflashed the A6 battery firmware since enabling swap and I expected the higher speed to drain more but everything is working great. No problems, no worries.
21st February 2019, 04:42 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gborg3

1782000 is what I flashed of the swap enabled kernel. That speed has been working well for me so I stuck with it. I am still using a few options in the L Speed app also. Nothing that contradicts the changes you have made. Just a few extra boosts and streamlining. The battery seems to drain more slowly also. I have not reflashed the A6 battery firmware since enabling swap and I expected the higher speed to drain more but everything is working great. No problems, no worries.

Contrary to believe a higher speed will not drain your battery. By using this settings the Tablet will have an extremely power efficiency. A higher speed only means if the CPU needs power to run an App is not going to be limited by the governor, but when idle does not consume much power. The modules on the Kernel have been remove so there is no kernel workers checking on how much memory to clean and all that extra task that is not need it. If your tablet will run at 1836 you will see the big difference, but if you are using any App to improve anything you are not going to see the full potential benefit. All those apps are only setting things up that are already set and working in the background slowing things down. None of them are need it, this is been run as a Tablet mode setting not a Phone.
21st February 2019, 04:51 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
[QUOTE=HP_TOUCHPAD;78943212]@ Touchie Pad,
It will only work as intended by downloading the "Skz Kernel Optimize and Swap Partition enable" links provided.
It will not work at all by only downloading the ROM. The Dirty Unicorn ROM Kernel does not provide support for the swap file or optimized Android.

1. Flash DU ROM "du_tenderloin-v12.5.3-20181116-0140-RC.zip" ( It has to be that in specific)

2. Flash one of the SKZ Kernel speed provided ( Without it, no optimization or use of the swap partition will happen"

3. You can install any Google Open Gapps, I have installed all version , please provide a link to the one that does not work for you and I will try it out!

4. If you want Root access you must install SuperSu and the SKZ Kernel allows System read and write ( is a complete open system)

Let me know if those were the steps you followed otherwise I will try to explain my instructions better![/QUOTE

I did it in that order...used pico and micro, also had the problem with the AOSP keyboard stopping which i remember having when i first flashed the ROMS. I flashed the 183 kernel..... works fast but i did have a reboot on the second day and the screen was just dark, rebooted a couple times and then reflashed the rom, and optimize, and super su files ......and all is up and running again. I was seeing -220ma drain up until i reflashed it. I will give it some more time to sort it all out, and play around with it a bit. The video playing is 1,000,000,000 times better, i love it, thanks a lot
21st February 2019, 05:13 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
[QUOTE=Touchie Pad;78952034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

@ Touchie Pad,

All the testing that I have done and prove to be stable is on that version, I can only recommend what I have tested.

All the settings are on the Kernel and Ramdisk (the boot image) no settings are on any ROM. If that Kernel is not apply no performance will happen it will be worse.

Let me know if those were the steps you followed otherwise I will try to explain my instructions better![/QUOTE

I did it in that order...used pico and micro, also had the problem with the AOSP keyboard stopping
Yes you are correct the Keyboard stops working in most of the ROM that is why I recommend it to install the FULL Google open Apps because, it will replace the stock Keyboard with the one original from google.
The issues has been around for as long as I can remember. The only way around is to flash another keyboard after installing pico and micro or you can do it manually. I do not know if I am allow to distribute google keyboard as a separte flash-able zip file, that will resolve the issue and all open gapps will work.

which i
remember having when i first flashed the ROMS. I flashed the 183 kernel..... works fast but i did have a reboot on the second day and the screen was just dark, rebooted a couple times and then reflashed the rom, and optimize, and super su files ......and all is up and running again. I was seeing -220ma drain up until i reflashed it.
If your tablet reboots at 1836, it may not be able to sustain that speed and it will be better to go for 1782, you will still be able to do the same. The CPU does not work at that speed all the time, only if it needs to and the cap is at 1836, but if stays that high and your CPU can not handle it then it will reboot, but others can maintain it.
I will give it some more time to sort it all out, and play around with it a bit. The video playing is 1,000,000,000 times better, i love it, thanks a lot

You will be able to play videos in HD 720 using youtube app and also the web browser. I use Opera as is easy to change to desktop mode and play music with the screen off. It can play for days none stop and no reboots, you can watch movies back to back a HD 720 no issues and will never close down or reboots, that is why the use of the swap file as an extra space to allocate memory resources.
But the most important do not install any app to optimize anything, it will make it worse, all the Kernel modules have been removed, there is nothing an app can do, just work in the background and make things worse.
It is set up to run as your PC or Laptop not as your Phone, that is the difference!
21st February 2019, 12:44 PM |#10  

More
@HP_TOUCHPAD I have flashed the 1836000 swap optimized kernel and left things as they are. Interactive BFQ the preferred setup for best performance? In the Toolbox I have set it just below performance with dynamic scaling as well. This TouchPad functions like a tesseract now. Speed of light? Bwahahaha, that is nothing compared to this.
22nd February 2019, 03:34 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
I did it in that order...used pico and micro, also had the problem with the AOSP keyboard stopping which i remember having when i first flashed the ROMS. I flashed the 183 kernel..... works fast but i did have a reboot on the second day and the screen was just dark, rebooted a couple times and then reflashed the rom, and optimize, and super su files ......and all is up and running again. I was seeing -220ma drain up until i reflashed it. I will give it some more time to sort it all out, and play around with it a bit. The video playing is 1,000,000,000 times better, i love it, thanks a lot[/QUOTE]

I updated the guide and added the Keyboard Flash file to be use with Pico and Micro and the others. My advice, if you want the Tablet to run smooth fast and stable, flash all those files in that specific order and everything will work as a brand new device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)