FORUMS

HP TOUCHPAD - PowerOFF- Prevents Battery Drain

909 posts
Thanks Meter: 421
 
By HP_TOUCHPAD, Senior Member on 12th November 2019, 11:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
PowerOFF Prevents Accidental Battery Drain.

The main issue with the Tablet has been a dead battery, not turning on and showing a battery symbol.
The condition has been associated with the Tablet been brick as it just kill itself, I will call it Suicidal Mode.
From my experience and by coincidence I have seen how a Tablet that has been off for days will turn on by itself.
Once a Tablet turns on by itself, it boots into the moboot menu and then to the default OS, Android or Recovery.
It will stay on until the battery gets depleted then it shutdown, without the user been aware of the Tablet's Suicidal Mode.
Another possible scenario is when traveling with the Tablet. Sometimes it needs to be pack or place in storage.
It only takes the power button to accidentally get press for the Tablet to boot and drain the battery.
There is no option or command in moboot to select shutdown by default when the Tablet turns on, paving the way for the Suicidal Mode to be executed.

The solution is PowerOFF, if by any means the Tablet turn on accidentally and the user is not aware it will turn off automatically preventing booting into Android or Recovery.
When to Flash PowerOFF:
When taking the Tablet on a trip or is going to be handle unsupervised.
The Tablet will not be use for a period of time or place in storage.
The user does not want the Tablet to automatically boot into Android or Recovery, but stay off.

If the Tablet is full charge and place in normal room temperature it should last approximately 6 month or more.

The following files can be flash in TWRP Recovery:
Click HERE to Download PowerOFF
1. Flash_PowerOFF.zip -- Copy uImage.PowerOFF into boot and makes it the boot default.
2. Remove_PowerOFF.zip -- Remove PowerOFF from boot and makes Recovery the boot default.
To make the Android version the boot default, re-flash the HpTp from the already flashed ROM.
There is no need to re-flash the ROM.

If the /boot partition is full and PowerOFF can not be flash or work properly then flash:
Clean_Boot_Remove_All_ROM_Boot_Files.zip
It will create a backup of /boot into the Micro SD Card.
Delete all Android boot images, freeing space to copy PowerOFF.

How PowerOFF works.
The flash file by FLINTMAN-update-TWRP-touch-data_media-SELINUX-TEST-Build_4-25-14.zip
Is modified and reduced to turn off the Tablet instead of launching TWRP.
The size of PowerOFF is 5.1MB which allows it to coexist in the boot partition with TWRP Recovery 3.2.1 and any Android boot uImage.

Many thanks @flintman for porting TWRP Recovery to the HP Touchpad that has made it possible to flash any ROM, also for all the great Android ROMs....!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
13th November 2019, 02:06 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
I can unequivocally say I have never had any of the 4 TouchPads I have owned in the last 9 years turn on by themselves. I have never before now heard the topic discussed in any TouchPad thread or forum. If one properly packs their tablet for a trip, it should not get inadvertently turned on by the power button getting pressed while packed in your luggage. That being said, lucky you to own one that does. My question is, once your modified version of TWRP is installed, I guess that your TouchPad sits there, turns itself on and then your UImage turns it off. Then it turns on again and then it turns off. I wonder how long before your TouchPad runs out of battery sitting there turning itself on and off? Maybe you should install a battery disconnect switch instead.
16th November 2019, 09:47 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
So the question is, does this keep a TouchPad turned off or is it going to sit there and cycle on and off?
18th November 2019, 07:00 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 421
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithylovestouchpad

So the question is, does this keep a TouchPad turned off or is it going to sit there and cycle on and off?

The Tablet will be kept off.

Shutdown ( permanent off ) PowerOFF
Reboot ( turns off, then on )


PowerOFF is the same command used in Android and TWRP Recovery to shutdown the device.
By having PowerOFF as the default in the moboot menu, is guarantee that the Tablet will turn off automatically and prevent a battery drain when it gets turn on by accident.

A simple test:
Tablet is off, but connected by USB cable to any PC or Laptop that are also off.
Once the PC turns on, it triggers the Tablet connect to it by USB to come on. It will boot into Android or Recovery.
When the PC is turn off and the user forgets to turn off the Tablet, it will keep working until it shutdown for low battery (only in Android) in Recovery will be a total battery drain.

The Tablet can be off and connected to the wall outlet any spike in electricity will trigger the Tablet to come on.
Because is connected to the outlet it will keep charging and nothing will happen to the battery, unless for some reason it gets overheated.
But if the user does not want it to automatically boot into Android or Recovery it will always be kept OFF.

PowerOFF is like a safety option that will prevent the Tablet to be ON unattended; without the user be aware.
18th November 2019, 10:44 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
So if I interpret you correctly:

Shutdown ( permanent off ) PowerOFF
Reboot ( turns off, then on )

if a TouchPad with your version of TWRP in /boot, if the tablet gets turned on by accident or for some other reason that you describe, it willn be turned off. You said you have a TouchPad that turns on by itself. You did not explain why it does this. The point I am making is, if a TouchPad turns on, your TWRP will turn it off. If it turns on again, your TWRP will turn it off. So theoretically, a TouchPad could sit there turning on and off until the battery died. Am I correct? There is no permanent off, just the version of TWRP that keeps turning the TouchPad off every time it turns itself on.
21st November 2019, 06:17 PM |#6  
middle_road's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East TN
Thanks Meter: 94
 
More
I had mine do this on occasion over the years.
Mostly due to operator error. I'd power it off and then place it Power Button side down...
Also on travel I've packed 'em wrong and they would be dead when I got 'em out of my case. Again operator error...
I've also seen them just boot up on their own resting on a stand in landscape position. I attribute this to the 'gremlins' I have running around my place.
The Following User Says Thank You to middle_road For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift middle_road Ad-Free
22nd November 2019, 04:10 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle_road

I had mine do this on occasion over the years.
Mostly due to operator error. I'd power it off and then place it Power Button side down...
Also on travel I've packed 'em wrong and they would be dead when I got 'em out of my case. Again operator error...
I've also seen them just boot up on their own resting on a stand in landscape position. I attribute this to the 'gremlins' I have running around my place.

My question still remains if you pack your TP in your baggage resting on the power button, is this fix going to prevent your tablet from cycling on and off or are your gremlins going to have fun turning your TP on every time this fix turns it off? If that is the case, I don't see the value in putting this modified version of TWRP in /boot.
Smithy
22nd November 2019, 06:44 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 421
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle_road

I had mine do this on occasion over the years.
Mostly due to operator error. I'd power it off and then place it Power Button side down...
I will call that, design error. The Power Button on mobile devices should be flush with the casing to prevent accidental contact.
Also on travel I've packed 'em wrong and they would be dead when I got 'em out of my case. Again operator error...
Unless the Tablet is pack in it's original cardboard box when traveling, it will be difficult to predict what it could happen. There are too many variables on traveling to define a perfect way to pack it, is unpredictable even on an airline you may not get your luggage at all.
I've also seen them just boot up on their own resting on a stand in landscape position. I attribute this to the 'gremlins' I have running around my place.

I have also seen by coincidence a Tablet booting up, just place flat on a table. When the Tablets are full charged and place in normal room temperature, the battery should last for about 6 months or more with no need to recharge it or getting completely drain.
Last month a couple of Tablets got full charge and place on a table. One day as I was passing by the screen turn on into moboot and then to Recovery as there was no OS installed, then I turn it off and did not give it any importance. Over two weeks ago I try to turn on the same Tablet, but nothing will happen. Place it on the wireless charger and the Home Button LED light came on moving side to side, after some time the Low Battery symbols came on and then after some hours it booted into Recovery. The other Tablet also had a drain battery but it booted into the Low Battery symbol. That is when I decided to look for a way to keep the Tablet off if by any means got turn on and PowerOFF was my solution.
I am not saying that all Tablets do turn on by themselves but some do and that can explain why some users report of dead batteries and others pull a Tablet that has been stored in a drawer for long time and still have battery remaining.
What could cause a Tablet to turn on by itself?
I do not have an answer, but only speculations.
((( Electrical spike (surge) of the battery that tricks the charging board that it got plug into a PC or charger...... )))
22nd November 2019, 07:26 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 421
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithylovestouchpad

My question still remains if you pack your TP in your baggage resting on the power button, is this fix going to prevent your tablet from cycling on and off
By "accident" if the Power Button gets press inside the baggage, it will take less than a minute to be turn off.
For the Tablet to possibly cycle on and off repeatedly the Power Button needs to be press constantly.
If the Power Button is in constant pressure in the baggage eventually it could get damage.

or are your gremlins going to have fun turning your TP on every time this fix turns it off? If that is the case, I don't see the value in putting this modified version of TWRP in /boot.
Smithy

If a gremlin decides to turn on the Tablet, it will automatically turn off preventing more gremlins damage and a possible data breach.
PowerOFF is gremlin-proof, it does not provide any visual feedback to keep them entertain, they will quickly acknowledge the Tablet is already malfunctioning and not working moving on to the next mobile device " Your Smartphone"
22nd November 2019, 04:59 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

If a gremlin decides to turn on the Tablet, it will automatically turn off preventing more gremlins damage and a possible data breach.
PowerOFF is gremlin-proof, it does not provide any visual feedback to keep them entertain, they will quickly acknowledge the Tablet is already malfunctioning and not working moving on to the next mobile device " Your Smartphone"

So you have answered my question. If someone has a TP that has a propensity to turn itself on, your modified TWRP will turn it off but not keep it turned off. So a TP could sit there, turn on, and turn off until the battery is depleted. If a TP gets turned on by accident, for whatever reason, your modified TWRP will turn it off but not keep it turned off. So a TP could sit there, turn on, and turn off until the battery is depleted.

You should be aware that your suggestion that a person should charge their TP to 100% to store it is not recommended by lithium battery manufacturers.
From PowerStream.com:

The batteries should be stored at room temperature, charged to about 30 to 50% of capacity. We recommend that the batteries be charged about once per year to prevent overdischarge.

PowerStream Note: Test data confirms that storage of lithium-ion batteries is best if the cell is partially discharged. In one test by Cadex Electronics ( http://www.buchmann.ca ) after 1 year storage at 25°C the non-recoverable capacity remaining is 96% when stored at 40% initial charge level, but only 80% if stored with 100% initial charge level. This effect is reduced at lower temperature and is a non-issue at 0°C. At higher temperatures the effect is much worse. Cadex's recommendations are to store below 15° C at 40% of full charge (3.5 volts per cell). Our experience is that with cells stored at room temperature for 3 years that the non-recoverable capacity did not decrease, so this is probably manufacturer dependent.

I also have good news for you, Middle_Road's reference to gremlins is only metaphorical. Gremlins are only mythical creatures invented to entertain readers of fantasy literature not attack your TouchPad or Smart Phone. So your devices are safe.
22nd November 2019, 05:25 PM |#11  
middle_road's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag East TN
Thanks Meter: 94
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithylovestouchpad

So you have answered my question. If someone has a TP that has a propensity to turn itself on, your modified TWRP will turn it off but not keep it turned off. So a TP could sit there, turn on, and turn off until the battery is depleted. If a TP gets turned on by accident, for whatever reason, your modified TWRP will turn it off but not keep it turned off. So a TP could sit there, turn on, and turn off until the battery is depleted.

You should be aware that your suggestion that a person should charge their TP to 100% to store it is not recommended by lithium battery manufacturers.
From PowerStream.com:

The batteries should be stored at room temperature, charged to about 30 to 50% of capacity. We recommend that the batteries be charged about once per year to prevent overdischarge.

PowerStream Note: Test data confirms that storage of lithium-ion batteries is best if the cell is partially discharged. In one test by Cadex Electronics ( http://www.buchmann.ca ) after 1 year storage at 25°C the non-recoverable capacity remaining is 96% when stored at 40% initial charge level, but only 80% if stored with 100% initial charge level. This effect is reduced at lower temperature and is a non-issue at 0°C. At higher temperatures the effect is much worse. Cadex's recommendations are to store below 15° C at 40% of full charge (3.5 volts per cell). Our experience is that with cells stored at room temperature for 3 years that the non-recoverable capacity did not decrease, so this is probably manufacturer dependent.

I also have good news for you, Middle_Road's reference to gremlins is only metaphorical. Gremlins are only mythical creatures invented to entertain readers of fantasy literature not attack your TouchPad or Smart Phone. So your devices are safe.

That is why, usually, your new-in-box device is only partially charged when you unpack it.

Gremlins: They weren't 'invented', they were 'created' based on real world observation and experiences.
So when something happens that can't be explained easily, the Gremlins are guilty until proven innocent.
Especially when dealing with electrons.
...
..
.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes