Updated 10-06-2019 ( ROM GUIDE ) How to install Android 9.0 through 4.4 on Touchpad.

Search This thread

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
----------------------- Thread MODIFICATION LOG -----------------
Shout out to Nevertells2 and DoubleStuff who both worked hard on this documentation in 2017.
( Some of which still remains )

Date:03/10/2017 Users: DoubleStuff/Nevertells2
Modification Description: Initial Release.

05/25/2019 DoubleStuff
Major changes in 2019: updated broken ROM/GApps by including HP_TOUCHPAD's master list of ROM/GApps, also fixed the YouTube broken link, made many additions to the documentation as per the changing landscape of the HP Touchpad development, most notably HP_TOUCHPAD's HpTp Universal Optimize Swap Settings and boot.img file.

07/08/2019 DoubleStuff
Created a Main Menu, with 2 options 1) Wipe All and 2) HP ToolBox.

8/3/2019 DoubleStuff
Implemented HP_TOUCHPAD's ROM_Reducer flash files.

8/27/2019 DoubleStuff
On the 2nd Post of this thread I added DoubleStuffs annotated journeys, along with tools needed for these journeys
like scrcpy and adb.

Post #2 Journeys and Tools

8/27/2019 DoubleStuff
On the 3rd Post of this thread I added HP_TOUCHPAD's advanced topic of the HP TOUCHPAD Novacom Repair Android Tool.

----------------------- Previous Zip Statistics -----------------

"The Original"
Obsoleted doubleStuff_v03.zip 3/19/2017 - 5/25/2019 ( RIP )( 797 days )( 7876 downloads )( 53306 views )
Avg. 9.87 downloads/day

"Double Stuff II"
Obsoleted DoubleStuff.2019.zip 5/25/2019 - 7/8/2019 ( RIP )( 045 days )( 372 downloads )( 3140 views )
Avg. 8.26 downloads/day

"Double Stuff w/HP_TOUCHPADs Swap"
Current DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip 7/9/2019 - 1/24/2024 ( current ) ( 1660 days )( 3235 downloads )( 42544 views )
Avg. 1.95 downloads/day

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:
In this "new" ( circa 2019 ) method of "starting from scratch", or called "clean installing", the user will flash various ZIP files depending on the ROM version user wants to install.

The actual install of Automatic_Wipe_All_and_Create_Android_with_Swap_Partition.zip ( boot.img ) will be done by the the script TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat. Wipe_All creates a 500 Mb swap partition, and re-creates the system, cache, media and data partitions with sizes of 2200 Mb, 200 Mb, 500 Mb, and "rest of memory" respectively, also automatically installs version 3.2.1-0 of TWRP which is required for the other ZIPs.

Boot partition is always 32 Mb, its a fixed size.

To be clear: this method will erase everything, even WebOS and makes the HP Touchpad 100% Android. It will also create new media, cache, data, system and SWAP partitions, and make the HP Touchpad work as a tablet ( laptop with a touch screen ), not a smartphone in Android.

Thoughts about the video:
The Video is now semi-obsolete, because alot has changed since 2017. So you must follow the instructions in this updated thread, but the video helps because if you understand the video you will understand the instructions in this thread. The Video below is Installing Nougat, but you can use this method for ALL VERSIONS of Android since 4.4 just use the proper ZIPs.

Assumption:
This method assumes you already loaded and have working TP Toolbox v0.42. ( w/Novacom and Java )
--- if you don't have TP Toolbox installed on your PC please watch the video in RolandDeschain79's link from 0:00 to 2:15 RolandDeschain79Link

======================================================================

Steps to success for loading any version of Android since 4.4:
Perform the following steps on a PC to prepare it for load:

I. Download the NEW DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip:( click link below )
Download DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip

DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip contains these two key files:
1. TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat
2. uImage.WIPE

Download and extract, and place both files in the same directory as your working tptb_v42_win.bat on your PC.

II. Select and Download which version of Android ROM, Gapps and other zips you want.
Locate and download the ZIPs: I will link to HP_TOUCHPAD's Master List of Zips: ( see Master list link below ), but you can also find ZIPs in other XDA HP Touchpad threads too.

Its best to put your downloaded ZIPs into a storage folder that you have created on your PC, purely for organization.

#1 ) ROM

#2) Pick one of these three Settings files for this #2 ZIP install: These files are in the "ALL files for this ROM" zip, then look under a folder of the same name, and then select the frequency zip of your choice.
-- MAX_Kernel_Ramdisk_build_prop_Settings ( Latest HpTp_MAX_Universal_Optimize_Swap )
-OR-
-- Stock_Kernel_Changed_Ramdisk_build_prop_Settings ( HpTp_Universal_Optimize_Swap )
-OR-
-- Original_ROM_Settings ( Use the Tablet with phone settings, no swap partition )

( The first two are the magic behind the performance and speed, because these settings enables Android to use the swap partition, the third is the original settings for the ROM and you will have better battery performance. )
All the Universal Optimize Swap Settings files provide the same settings and kernel, the difference is the preset CPU frequency. As per the Boost settings always start with 1674, and after that is working good, you can try to flash a higher frequency for speed like ( 1728, 1782 or 1836 ), and you don't have to re-flash all the ZIPs again, just the UOSS file from TWRP recovery. If it freezes screen, or keeps rebooting just go back and flash lower frequency, Because those symptoms are telling you that your particular HP TOUCHPAD can't handle the higher speed.

#3) ROM Reducer ( Optional ) These files are in the "ALL files for this ROM" zip, then look under the folder with name "ROM Reducer" then out of the 3 zip files in the selected folder, first go with the ROM_reducer, later if you want to permanently remove the features/apps, or restore the features/apps, you can use the "Remove" and the "Restore" zip files.
Essentially this HP Touchpad ( circa 2011 ) has around 650 MB of free RAM (Memory), this is relatively low, so the ROM Reducer flash file "removes" some Android Features and System Apps to give the old Touchpad some extra needed RAM. So in theory this will make for a faster experience.

#4) GApps
Select platform ARM and the android version that matches ROM and the variant you want, Pico is recommended. The goal is to keep the system "lean and clean", and by doing this you will get the best performance and efficiency.

#5) SuperSu v2.82 ( Optional )
ROMs have system Read and Write enabled, download and flash SuperSu v2.82 if you want root access.

#6 ) Latest TWRP ( Optional, but if you want and/or need a different version of TWRP other than 3.2.1-0, then you need to download one. )

==========HP_TOUCHPAD's Master Link: Get ZIP ( #1, #2, #3, #4 here )===========
Note: Once you click link, you have to press page down 3 times to get to the Master List of Zips.
Find all Android version: Rom, GAPPS, HpTp MAX Universal Optimize Swap Settings, and more links as per HP_TOUCHPAD here:

================Get ZIP ( #5 here )=============================
***You can Download and Flash the latest SuperSu zip to ROOT your device***
Root access with SuperSu v2.82
http://www.supersu.com/download

================Get ZIP ( #6 here )=============================
This "latest and greatest" TWRP for ALL VERSIONS OF ANDROID.
Download Permanent TWRP Recovery.
FLINTMAN-TWRP-3.2.1-0-03-15-2018.zip

Stick with the package you select, don't mix and match versions, and stay with WIFI version unless you know better.

Set all ZIPs that you have downloaded into the storage folder on your PC for now, we will need them later.

III. Touchpad/PC Execution steps:
Boot into WebOS Recovery ( giant USB symbol ) with cable connected to PC.
Run the custom script TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat:
It will give you the option of running the TPTB where you can perform some maintenance steps. Most users will select '1' to run WIPEALL from Main Menu.

III. Touchpad/PC Execution steps: continued
Most users will START here, after pressing '1' in Main Menu.

Continue ( press "c" ) with the TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat, it will then load the uImage.WIPE, you should see a quick blue flash, and an orange header with some white text. Wait until the orange header disappears, it will then automatically reboot. ( about 2 minutes ).

At reboot, select Recovery on moboot menu, then press home key.

Wait, and you will see the automatic load of 3.2.1-0 TWRP recovery.

Wait, and you will see Touchpad drive mounted on your PC.

TWRP recovery automatically creates a folder in the /data/media directory called TWRP, on the Internal SD card ( data ).

IV. TWRP Install steps:
( If screen falls asleep, and power and home buttons don't respond, tap screen )
Once in TWRP Recovery, go to your PC which is still connected via cable to TouchPad:

Locate the storage folder on your PC where you stored your ZIPs.

Copy the ZIPs: ( drag and drop )
1) ROM, 2) Universal Optimize Swap Settings 3) ROM Reducer 4) Gapps, 5) SuperSu and 6) Permanent Recovery zip files into the /Touchpad/InternalStorage/TWRP mounted Touchpad volume.
( P.S. actually you can copy the zips anywhere in 'Internal Storage' or 'Micro SDCard' Touchpad mounts, as long as you know where to find them on your Touchpad, I am just giving you the default location for simplicity sake )

2) Once copy is complete, you can disconnect the USB cable from the PC and Touchpad.

3) These zips will then show up in the /sdcard/TWRP or /data/media/TWRP directory on your Touchpad.

4) Select INSTALL from TWRP, drill to /sdcard/TWRP directory, then load in this specific order ( pressing 'add more zips' between loads )
== ROM,
== HpTp Universal Optimize Swap Settings,
== ROM Reducer,
== Gapps,
== SuperSu
== Recovery TWRP
then swipe to flash.

It will take awhile for the system to flash these zips ( about 5 mins ) until the reboot option shows up.

press reboot system button

At Moboot menu I selected "boot Evervolv" your menu item might be a different name depending on the ROM you installed.

During my experimental testing I loaded Evervolv Nougat and it took about 15 additional minutes until I got to the Android Start screen after "boot Evervolv" selected. Mileage may vary.... but soon your HP Touchpad will be in the promised land of Android with swap.

Last edited:

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
Advanced Topic #1:
DoubleStuff's Journeys to Novacom Repair Android Tool and Universal Authority: ( with annotated pictures!! )

Journey #1: How files get populated to /boot.

Journey #2: into HP RAMDISK: Using /boot from uImage

Journey #3: to Novacom Repair Android Tool: How are the icons made

Journey #4: Exploring Planet Universal Authority

Journey #5: RAM Memory Stress Test

various tools needed for Memory stress test visual:

Setting up adb on a PC: to run commands like "free -h"
top -m 15 -d 3 -s rss ( also once run, hit cap "E" to change from KB to MB to GB, then cap "W" to write that default to disk)
top -s 6 -d 3 ( sort field 6 is rss, delay 3 seconds, this is for newer versions of Android )
https://xdaforums.com/t/hp-touchpad-novacom-repair-android.3960435/page-5#post-80463451

Mirror HpTp screen to PC ( scrcpy ) this download also has ( adb )
https://xdaforums.com/t/hp-touchpad-novacom-repair-android.3960435/page-6#post-80529463

video to help install adb on a PC with Windows 10: ( adb will help run unix commands like free -h on the touchpad from the PC command window ) C:\adb\adb.exe shell

Last edited:
Reactions: alan242

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
Advanced Topic #2:
HP Touchpad Novacom Repair Android Tool

Hello Touchpad users, if you think your HP TOUCHPAD is bricked, your probably wrong and with the tools below you maybe able to fix your HP TOUCHPAD and make it like new again. Read the guide, and download the ISO file, now remember this is an advanced topic, its not for kids. Trix are for kids.

click HERE for guide

click HERE to download ISO file

Last edited:

W_three

May 26, 2010
Doublestuff, bringing this to this thread since I am using your instructions to get this far.

After using the 4/13 nightly and getting setup wizard has stopped I tried the 4/6 as indicated below.

The steps I have taken are to use tptb_v42_win.bat for the toolbox to wipe the data then resize volumes to

--Media: 1024 MB,
--Cache: 200 MB,
--System: 1312 MB,
--Data: the rest of the memory

Then after shutting that down and bringing up the big USB symbol using the volume and power button again to run TWRP_TmpLoad_v03_win.bat and copy the files below into the TWRP folder on the touchpad.

ev_tenderloin-7.1.2-nightly-2017.04.06.zip
open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170415.zip
FLINTMAN-TWRP-touch-data_media-SELINUX-f2fs-3.1.0-0-3-24-17.zip

Once the files were copied over I disconnected from the PC and added to the install in the order above.

The install indicates no MD5 so a check is skipped and seems to proceed to install each of the three zips fine. When I get to the end of that there are two buttons (one to wipe cache/DavLik and the other to Reboot). I tried both with and without the wipe cache before the reboot with the same results.

After the Evervolve logo with the cycling colored letters goes for a few minutes it gets to the setup screen, clicking on either copy settings or start new setup give the error "Setup wizard has stopped, Open app again" then "Setup wizard keeps stopping, close app".

The only difference I can see I resized the Media to 1024 where your instructions indicate 1000 but I cant see that as being any problem though to be honest my knowledge here is limited.

Any ideas for something else to try are appreciated.
----------------------------------------

This part I dont think I am understanding
"but remember later on you still have to load the permanent TWRP with install."

Last edited:

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
Doublestuff, bringing this to this thread since I am using your instructions to get this far.

After using the 4/13 nightly and getting setup wizard has stopped I tried the 4/6 as indicated below.

The steps I have taken are to use tptb_v42_win.bat for the toolbox to wipe the data then resize volumes to

--Media: 1024 MB,
--Cache: 200 MB,
--System: 1312 MB,
--Data: the rest of the memory

Then after shutting that down and bringing up the big USB symbol using the volume and power button again to run TWRP_TmpLoad_v03_win.bat and copy the files below into the TWRP folder on the touchpad.

ev_tenderloin-7.1.2-nightly-2017.04.06.zip
open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170415.zip
FLINTMAN-TWRP-touch-data_media-SELINUX-f2fs-3.1.0-0-3-24-17.zip

Once the files were copied over I disconnected from the PC and added to the install in the order above.

The install indicates no MD5 so a check is skipped and seems to proceed to install each of the three zips fine. When I get to the end of that there are two buttons (one to wipe cache/DavLik and the other to Reboot). I tried both with and without the wipe cache before the reboot with the same results.

After the Evervolve logo with the cycling colored letters goes for a few minutes it gets to the setup screen, clicking on either copy settings or start new setup give the error "Setup wizard has stopped, Open app again" then "Setup wizard keeps stopping, close app".

The only difference I can see I resized the Media to 1024 where your instructions indicate 1000 but I cant see that as being any problem though to be honest my knowledge here is limited.

Any ideas for something else to try are appreciated.
----------------------------------------

This part I dont think I am understanding

Go have a read at this page in the DevsBase forum if you haven't already. It is discussed that there have been problems with the setup wizard.<Mod Edit: Link removed. Please don't redirect members to other mobile forums. Thanks!>

Also, I see in the discussion there that the nightly builds are now 4/13 so you might try that date build and see if the problem has gone away. I also saw discussed that some folks there were installing older builds that did not have the setup problems and then using TWRP to flash the newest builds. Otherwise, from what you posted, you are doing everything right.

NT

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DoubleStuff

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017

This part I don't think I am understanding

As long as the Media is greater than 1000 MB it should be OK.....

Essentially the program TWRP_TmpLoad_v03_win.bat loads TWRP temporarily by using a novacom command to load uImage.TWRP to the HP Touchpad, but you still have to download and have as one of your 3 zips something like this FLINTMAN-TWRP-touch-data_media-SELINUX-f2fs-3.1.0-0-3-24-17.zip, so that you can have a permanent load of TWRP after all is said and done.

Last edited:

Seatreader

Apr 20, 2016
Hey guys! Went through all of these steps and got it to boot! However, after it booted for quite a while, it started up the setup wizard, and immediately stops whenever you choose an option, whether it be "Set up as new" or "copy your data."

Is it something I've done wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
Hey guys! Went through all of these steps and got it to boot! However, after it booted for quite a while, it started up the setup wizard, and immediately stops whenever you choose an option, whether it be "Set up as new" or "copy your data."

Is it something I've done wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

No your not doing anything wrong, the new nightly builds are going through a particularly buggy phase the last few builds. I am assuming you used the 4-19 nightly. Lets try an earlier Testing build.

If you have time, just for kicks and for testing purposes can you try again but use Flintmans latest testing 3-25 ROM instead of the Evervolv Nightly.

Try this ROM and lets see if it fixes the issue:

http://evervolv.com/static/builds/testing/Queo/ev_tenderloin-7.1.1-testing-2017.03.25.zip

If you notice the user "w_three" had the same issue in an earlier post on this thread....

Last edited:
Reactions: middle_road

Seatreader

Apr 20, 2016
okay I'll give that a go tonight! I noticed on the release page forums they were talking about how you had to dirty flash the newer roms on and figured that was my problem.

=UPDATE=
Ran as per the instructions with a nice clean install and it booted fine! Takes forever to boot and get through the" finishing touches" but it looks like it's working fine!! Four days ago this tablet was bricked!

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

W_three

May 26, 2010
After letting this rest for a few days I decided to give it another go.

Used the 3/25 zip you posted above DoubleStuff and finally past the set up error. Going through it now. Thanks for posting that Rom.

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
After letting this rest for a few days I decided to give it another go.

Used the 3/25 zip you posted above DoubleStuff and finally past the set up error. Going through it now. Thanks for posting that Rom.

Great! W_three, that you finally got it working, from what I have been reading on devs-base, Open Gapps are only running through 7.1.1, and as of April 4th (4/4) Evervolv nightlies have switched to 7.1.2. ( see pic below ) Some people have a theory that this is causing the set-up wizard to break. To get around this issue, some people have been "clean" flashing an older 3-25 ROM see link to that in post #8 ( or in theory anything before 4/4 nightly ), then "dirty" flashing the newer ROMs on top of that. I am just reporting on what I read, not sure how accurate it is.

See in below screenshot how name changes from 7.1.1 ( green ) to 7.1.2 ( red ).....just sayin'
nightly_zpsexzfjftt.png

Just know that this Nougat ROM is still only in Beta, so there will be bugs and lagginess.
As Nevertells2 would tell anybody, JC Sullins KitKat 4.4.4 ROM is probably the most stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: middle_road

xdakzhf2d

May 9, 2017
Setup Wizard fails

My Setup Wizard fails and I see the note below:

*NOTE: as of 4/4 since start of 7.1.2, if your having issues with setup wizard after the install you might want to flash this older ROM instead ( before 4/4 ), then dirty flash a newer ROM

How do I perform this?

How do I flash with a older ROM (before 4/4) and then dirty flash a newer ROM? Can you elaborate?

Thank you in advance.

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
My Setup Wizard fails and I see the note below:

*NOTE: as of 4/4 since start of 7.1.2, if your having issues with setup wizard after the install you might want to flash this older ROM instead ( before 4/4 ), then dirty flash a newer ROM

How do I perform this?

How do I flash with a older ROM (before 4/4) and then dirty flash a newer ROM? Can you elaborate?

Thank you in advance.

Well underneath that red letter explanation in the Original Post, is a link to a 3-25 ROM, flash that using the alternative method described in OP. That is called a clean install.

Then once you get that going, you can dirty install the current 5-8 ROM, by selecting this once tablet is running:
Settings->About Tablet->Evervolv Updates->Nightly Tab->Refresh, then download the zip, and boot into recovery and flash it. If you don't understand this terse explanation, I have pasted RolandD's How to dirty flash and root video below ( from 1:19 to 3:17 is Dirty Flash )

Dirty Flash Instructions

Last edited:
Reactions: deafasheck

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
Hi, Ive ran each step as instructed twice, just to be sure. both times I get only an external sd card selection, no internal card or data selection once files load and I run twerp it installa yet I get a failed to mount data invalid argument. what am I doing wrong?

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
Hi, Ive ran each step as instructed twice, just to be sure. both times I get only an external sd card selection, no internal card or data selection once files load and I run twerp it installa yet I get a failed to mount data invalid argument. what am I doing wrong?

Hello deafasheck, I have been following you on these boards for years, and you always get errors and issue that are different from the norm. LOL

In fact you even call J.C. Sullins by an unusual name ( JC Sullivan ) LOL, but I have seen Nevertells2 correct you a few times, so I think we are good to go there.

As far as your issue, did you load the 3-25 ROM first? Then try to dirty flash the latest nightly? I would like to know more details on the procedure you used. But you maybe in luck, because I think there is another thread today that has a similar ( mount and volume issues ) and RolandD gave him a answer and a few links...

Look HERE at post #1094

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
Missed a step.

Hi DoubleStuff, yeah I'm way out of my league, but have learned so much in forum, I found out what I done wrong. I didn't move file size in data only moved cashe and system to as close as could to instructions. it fixed right up once I put data size, I noticed cam still inverted, does new ROM resolve that? I'm going back and dirty flash that ROM I ove the size if this, it doesn't take up much space has less bloatware and I use UC browser which is so so Philz kk is best I have tried . but I'm gona toy on this one Ive almost mastered this touchpad insyallations even learning codeing, just not yet.. I do dislike the home launcher, so used to having one like the one in kk or nova. Ive not bricked mine yet! was worried for awhile. but any thing I need to know is on here . thanks for the reply..
im still learning how to post specs of tablet. JC Sullin huh? yeah, Im good on typos. dang laptop mouse jumps around.. well here we go, going to dirty flash newest rom, wish me luck.. thanks..
Hello deafasheck, I have been following you on these boards for years, and you always get errors and issue that are different from the norm. LOL

In fact you even call J.C. Sullins by an unusual name ( JC Sullivan ) LOL, but I have seen Nevertells2 correct you a few times, so I think we are good to go there.

As far as your issue, did you load the 3-25 ROM first? Then try to dirty flash the latest nightly? I would like to know more details on the procedure you used. But you maybe in luck, because I think there is another thread today that has a similar ( mount and volume issues ) and RolandD gave him a answer and a few links...

Look HERE at post #1094

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
Hi DoubleStuff, yeah I'm way out of my league, but have learned so much in forum, I found out what I done wrong. I didn't move file size in data only moved cashe and system to as close as could to instructions. it fixed right up once I put data size, I noticed cam still inverted, does new ROM resolve that? I'm going back and dirty flash that ROM I ove the size if this, it doesn't take up much space has less bloatware and I use UC browser which is so so Philz kk is best I have tried . but I'm gona toy on this one Ive almost mastered this touchpad insyallations even learning codeing, just not yet.. I do dislike the home launcher, so used to having one like the one in kk or nova. Ive not bricked mine yet! was worried for awhile. but any thing I need to know is on here . thanks for the reply..
im still learning how to post specs of tablet. JC Sullin huh? yeah, Im good on typos. dang laptop mouse jumps around.. well here we go, going to dirty flash newest rom, wish me luck.. thanks..

Hello deafasheck, I am glad your learning and taking the advice of Nevertells2 which is "read, my friend, read!!"
Yes the Stock Camera is still inverted, but haven't you heard? That if you go to google play store and download "Open Camera" app it works fine in Nougat, let me know what you think of it. I am glad you figured out your own problem that is telling me you are learning quite a bit since you were a "newbie" in 2014!! :good:

OK deafascheck I wish you luck in your dirty flash download? And your experiment with "Open Camera" and hope you learn how to code at least in BAT and VBS files, because when Oreo ( Android "O" ) comes out we will need to tweek the code for this Alternative method again!! I am doubling down that its called Oreo, hence my Avatar.

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
Thank you so much, yes got to learn code and terminal commands. on the subject of dirty flash, is that same as loading the via tptb as I did with the permanent files when Initial install ?

DoubleStuff

Mar 4, 2017
Thank you so much, yes got to learn code and terminal commands. on the subject of dirty flash, is that same as loading the via tptb as I did with the permanent files when Initial install ?

deafasheck, defasheck, defasheck, come on now we have been studying "dirty flashes" since you were a "newbie" in 2014, and our friend RolandD has made many videos on it....in fact in this ROM alternative thread in post #13 at the bottom of the post is a good video that explains "dirty flashes"....learn it, love it, live it!!! :)

Good Luck in all your learning Deafasheck!!! :highfive:

POST #13 for deafasheck learning dirty flashes.

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
Videos don't help much, I'm deaf as heck.. and getting lost in the steps.. from what I recasll dirty flash is asop I did one as I had in the original install ie placed in twerp flashed from twerp. that worked as far as I know? I'm trying to find the super user link I seen earlier, once I get ROM and SU I'm gonna get the camera app. thanks..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ----------------------- Thread MODIFICATION LOG -----------------
    Shout out to Nevertells2 and DoubleStuff who both worked hard on this documentation in 2017.
    ( Some of which still remains )

Date:03/10/2017 Users: DoubleStuff/Nevertells2
    Modification Description: Initial Release.

05/25/2019 DoubleStuff
    Major changes in 2019: updated broken ROM/GApps by including HP_TOUCHPAD's master list of ROM/GApps, also fixed the YouTube broken link, made many additions to the documentation as per the changing landscape of the HP Touchpad development, most notably HP_TOUCHPAD's HpTp Universal Optimize Swap Settings and boot.img file.

07/08/2019 DoubleStuff
    Created a Main Menu, with 2 options 1) Wipe All and 2) HP ToolBox.

8/3/2019 DoubleStuff
    Implemented HP_TOUCHPAD's ROM_Reducer flash files.

8/27/2019 DoubleStuff
    On the 2nd Post of this thread I added DoubleStuffs annotated journeys, along with tools needed for these journeys
    like scrcpy and adb.

Post #2 Journeys and Tools

8/27/2019 DoubleStuff
    On the 3rd Post of this thread I added HP_TOUCHPAD's advanced topic of the HP TOUCHPAD Novacom Repair Android Tool.

----------------------- Previous Zip Statistics -----------------

"The Original"
    Obsoleted doubleStuff_v03.zip 3/19/2017 - 5/25/2019 ( RIP )( 797 days )( 7876 downloads )( 53306 views )
    Avg. 9.87 downloads/day

"Double Stuff II"
    Obsoleted DoubleStuff.2019.zip 5/25/2019 - 7/8/2019 ( RIP )( 045 days )( 372 downloads )( 3140 views )
    Avg. 8.26 downloads/day

"Double Stuff w/HP_TOUCHPADs Swap"
    Current DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip 7/9/2019 - 1/24/2024 ( current ) ( 1660 days )( 3235 downloads )( 42544 views )
    Avg. 1.95 downloads/day

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:
    In this "new" ( circa 2019 ) method of "starting from scratch", or called "clean installing", the user will flash various ZIP files depending on the ROM version user wants to install.

The actual install of Automatic_Wipe_All_and_Create_Android_with_Swap_Partition.zip ( boot.img ) will be done by the the script TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat. Wipe_All creates a 500 Mb swap partition, and re-creates the system, cache, media and data partitions with sizes of 2200 Mb, 200 Mb, 500 Mb, and "rest of memory" respectively, also automatically installs version 3.2.1-0 of TWRP which is required for the other ZIPs.

Boot partition is always 32 Mb, its a fixed size.

To be clear: this method will erase everything, even WebOS and makes the HP Touchpad 100% Android. It will also create new media, cache, data, system and SWAP partitions, and make the HP Touchpad work as a tablet ( laptop with a touch screen ), not a smartphone in Android.

Thoughts about the video:
    The Video is now semi-obsolete, because alot has changed since 2017. So you must follow the instructions in this updated thread, but the video helps because if you understand the video you will understand the instructions in this thread. The Video below is Installing Nougat, but you can use this method for ALL VERSIONS of Android since 4.4 just use the proper ZIPs.

Assumption:
    This method assumes you already loaded and have working TP Toolbox v0.42. ( w/Novacom and Java )
    --- if you don't have TP Toolbox installed on your PC please watch the video in RolandDeschain79's link from 0:00 to 2:15 RolandDeschain79Link

======================================================================

Steps to success for loading any version of Android since 4.4:
    Perform the following steps on a PC to prepare it for load:

I. Download the NEW DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip:( click link below )
    Download DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip

DoubleStuff.7.2019.zip contains these two key files:
    1. TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat
    2. uImage.WIPE

Download and extract, and place both files in the same directory as your working tptb_v42_win.bat on your PC.

II. Select and Download which version of Android ROM, Gapps and other zips you want.
    Locate and download the ZIPs: I will link to HP_TOUCHPAD's Master List of Zips: ( see Master list link below ), but you can also find ZIPs in other XDA HP Touchpad threads too.

Its best to put your downloaded ZIPs into a storage folder that you have created on your PC, purely for organization.

#1 ) ROM

#2) Pick one of these three Settings files for this #2 ZIP install: These files are in the "ALL files for this ROM" zip, then look under a folder of the same name, and then select the frequency zip of your choice.
    -- MAX_Kernel_Ramdisk_build_prop_Settings ( Latest HpTp_MAX_Universal_Optimize_Swap )
    -OR-
    -- Stock_Kernel_Changed_Ramdisk_build_prop_Settings ( HpTp_Universal_Optimize_Swap )
    -OR-
    -- Original_ROM_Settings ( Use the Tablet with phone settings, no swap partition )

( The first two are the magic behind the performance and speed, because these settings enables Android to use the swap partition, the third is the original settings for the ROM and you will have better battery performance. )
    All the Universal Optimize Swap Settings files provide the same settings and kernel, the difference is the preset CPU frequency. As per the Boost settings always start with 1674, and after that is working good, you can try to flash a higher frequency for speed like ( 1728, 1782 or 1836 ), and you don't have to re-flash all the ZIPs again, just the UOSS file from TWRP recovery. If it freezes screen, or keeps rebooting just go back and flash lower frequency, Because those symptoms are telling you that your particular HP TOUCHPAD can't handle the higher speed.

#3) ROM Reducer ( Optional ) These files are in the "ALL files for this ROM" zip, then look under the folder with name "ROM Reducer" then out of the 3 zip files in the selected folder, first go with the ROM_reducer, later if you want to permanently remove the features/apps, or restore the features/apps, you can use the "Remove" and the "Restore" zip files.
    Essentially this HP Touchpad ( circa 2011 ) has around 650 MB of free RAM (Memory), this is relatively low, so the ROM Reducer flash file "removes" some Android Features and System Apps to give the old Touchpad some extra needed RAM. So in theory this will make for a faster experience.

#4) GApps
    Select platform ARM and the android version that matches ROM and the variant you want, Pico is recommended. The goal is to keep the system "lean and clean", and by doing this you will get the best performance and efficiency.

#5) SuperSu v2.82 ( Optional )
    ROMs have system Read and Write enabled, download and flash SuperSu v2.82 if you want root access.

#6 ) Latest TWRP ( Optional, but if you want and/or need a different version of TWRP other than 3.2.1-0, then you need to download one. )

==========HP_TOUCHPAD's Master Link: Get ZIP ( #1, #2, #3, #4 here )===========
    Note: Once you click link, you have to press page down 3 times to get to the Master List of Zips.
    Find all Android version: Rom, GAPPS, HpTp MAX Universal Optimize Swap Settings, and more links as per HP_TOUCHPAD here:

================Get ZIP ( #5 here )=============================
    ***You can Download and Flash the latest SuperSu zip to ROOT your device***
    Root access with SuperSu v2.82
    http://www.supersu.com/download

================Get ZIP ( #6 here )=============================
    This "latest and greatest" TWRP for ALL VERSIONS OF ANDROID.
    Download Permanent TWRP Recovery.
    FLINTMAN-TWRP-3.2.1-0-03-15-2018.zip

Stick with the package you select, don't mix and match versions, and stay with WIFI version unless you know better.

Set all ZIPs that you have downloaded into the storage folder on your PC for now, we will need them later.

III. Touchpad/PC Execution steps:
    Boot into WebOS Recovery ( giant USB symbol ) with cable connected to PC.
    Run the custom script TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat:
    It will give you the option of running the TPTB where you can perform some maintenance steps. Most users will select '1' to run WIPEALL from Main Menu.

III. Touchpad/PC Execution steps: continued
    Most users will START here, after pressing '1' in Main Menu.

Continue ( press "c" ) with the TPTB_WipeAll_TWRP_v02_win.bat, it will then load the uImage.WIPE, you should see a quick blue flash, and an orange header with some white text. Wait until the orange header disappears, it will then automatically reboot. ( about 2 minutes ).

At reboot, select Recovery on moboot menu, then press home key.

Wait, and you will see the automatic load of 3.2.1-0 TWRP recovery.

Wait, and you will see Touchpad drive mounted on your PC.

TWRP recovery automatically creates a folder in the /data/media directory called TWRP, on the Internal SD card ( data ).

IV. TWRP Install steps:
    ( If screen falls asleep, and power and home buttons don't respond, tap screen )
    Once in TWRP Recovery, go to your PC which is still connected via cable to TouchPad:

Locate the storage folder on your PC where you stored your ZIPs.

Copy the ZIPs: ( drag and drop )
    1) ROM, 2) Universal Optimize Swap Settings 3) ROM Reducer 4) Gapps, 5) SuperSu and 6) Permanent Recovery zip files into the /Touchpad/InternalStorage/TWRP mounted Touchpad volume.
    ( P.S. actually you can copy the zips anywhere in 'Internal Storage' or 'Micro SDCard' Touchpad mounts, as long as you know where to find them on your Touchpad, I am just giving you the default location for simplicity sake )

2) Once copy is complete, you can disconnect the USB cable from the PC and Touchpad.

3) These zips will then show up in the /sdcard/TWRP or /data/media/TWRP directory on your Touchpad.

4) Select INSTALL from TWRP, drill to /sdcard/TWRP directory, then load in this specific order ( pressing 'add more zips' between loads )
    == ROM,
    == HpTp Universal Optimize Swap Settings,
    == ROM Reducer,
    == Gapps,
    == SuperSu
    == Recovery TWRP
    then swipe to flash.

It will take awhile for the system to flash these zips ( about 5 mins ) until the reboot option shows up.

press reboot system button

At Moboot menu I selected "boot Evervolv" your menu item might be a different name depending on the ROM you installed.

During my experimental testing I loaded Evervolv Nougat and it took about 15 additional minutes until I got to the Android Start screen after "boot Evervolv" selected. Mileage may vary.... but soon your HP Touchpad will be in the promised land of Android with swap.
    Well wanting to test this Oreo ROM but the link is dead, https://download.dirtyunicorns.com/?device=tenderloin
    is there a another ROM or Dev build you can send?
    been having a ball with JC's 4.4 plus various tweaks, 7.1 just to much bloatware and time consuming to tweak, not that its bad. Just wanting to try the Oreo.. thanks man..

Hello deafasheck, yea, yea be careful of the "bloatware" LOL, but you and others looking for Oreo links, not sure how long the main Dirty Unicorn 8.1 links will be down, but in the meantime RolandDeschain79 posted these links...

Oreo ROM: ( 6/18/2018 date )
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/mkzur0bgz257djb/du_tenderloin-v12.3-20180618-1308-RC.zip

Oreo Gapps: ( 8.1 Nano )
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/o7i5k3mxsyrdsr3/open_gapps-arm-8.1-nano-UNOFFICIAL.zip
    Hey Slacker!!!!! :cyclops:

I know your just kidding about Nevertells2, I trust both you and Nevertells2 for good information I guess we all look at the water glass differently, some half full, some half empty. Its good to have different viewpoints on these boards.

Yes I might try Lineage11 with one of my Nougat tablets to see how it works, because as of late the WiFi on my Nougat builds has been in and out, it used to be strong. I think because Elgin has been tweaking the WiFi drivers to fix the lag and looks like there has been some regression in WiFi, but I just installed the 7/15 build, so like Lippy I am always updating and hoping for the best.

An interesting observation, I have not seen Flintman commenting on any boards the last few months, maybe he is taking a break like JC Sullins.

Just joking around of course, me and NT have had many conversations about what we thought would be the end of the tablet. Originally the ACMEInstaller had limited the size of the system partition and we struggled to reduce space on the tablet. imark90 came along with a updated version and saved the day. Then the big move to data media builds was a difficult transition saved by Jcsullins TPtoolbox. You're familiar with the current state of things and provided your own excellent work around to solve the TWRP installation issue.:good:

Sure hope Flintman is not taking a JCsullins break as he has not returned and basically stated that he wouldn't share his work here anymore :( Hopefully Flintman is just not dealing with the tedium of the forum threads, it can get quite tiring trying to deal with each and every user comment. As NT pointed out this slacker :cyclops: hasn't been doing a good job of that either. 90% of the time the problem is user error or failure to read the instructions, I can't even look at the YouTube comments or msgs anymore. :eek:

All I need to know is written up right here in the Evervolv commits. As you can see both Flintman and the Elginsk8r have been hard at work making development magic happen and I thank them:highfive: We have all the tools we'll need to manage the tablets partitions but talented developers are few and far between. We're just lucky to have a few incredible ones left with us.

Edit: Lucky post # 777
    Very good job! Thank you for all your hard work and effort. I really enjoy this old HP tablet and thanks to you, it really rocks now.

Yes thats what I have been hearing too, that the latest Nougat ROM ( ev_tenderloin-7.1.2-nightly-2017.11.03.zip )
    really rocks.

In fact Lippy actually asked Nevertells2 to give it another try, because he knows Nevertells2 really likes his KitKat4.4.4.

Actually Android Oreo on the HP Touchpad is in its beta version right now, but maybe in a few months it will be
    rocking like Nougat. You could still use the instructions in the OP to install any version of Android, as long as you have the 3 ZIPs ( ROM, GAPPS and Recovery ) of the "said" Android version.
    Videos don't help much, I'm deaf as heck.. and getting lost in the steps..

--SNIP--

You might try this