FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Complete wipe without working home button?

96 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By vigos, Member on 4th March 2019, 05:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I finally found my Touchpad at the bottom of a drawer and the battery bloated, making it unsafe to use. Also, the home button is not working (due to the bloating I imagine).
I want to completely wipe it (i have android on it, moboot 0.3.5 and webos) before i send it for recycling

I already performed a factory reset on android, but I can't get to webos to do the same, since I can't select that option on moboot. Any idea what I can/should do?

thanks!

4th March 2019, 01:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigos

Hi all,

I finally found my Touchpad at the bottom of a drawer and the battery bloated, making it unsafe to use. Also, the home button is not working (due to the bloating I imagine).
I want to completely wipe it (i have android on it, moboot 0.3.5 and webos) before i send it for recycling

I already performed a factory reset on android, but I can't get to webos to do the same, since I can't select that option on moboot. Any idea what I can/should do?

thanks!

You said that is unsafe to use, but you were able to charge the battery and took the charge, also boot into Android.
Due to the heat build up inside the covering around the battery bloated with air. ( trapped air )
The home button is not touching the connector and will not work as you know.
You can use TWRP, all its functions are by touch and the home button is not need it to execute any commands.
You can use the Wipe_All flash zip file from this guide:
Click here on how to Wipe All using TWRP
The home button is not need to perform any function in TWRP.
If you do not have it in the Menu, it can be loaded into Memory attaching the Tablet to a PC.
As you know, your Tablet is working. Is all up to you, but is a very quick fix to have your home button working again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
4th March 2019, 06:14 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

You said that is unsafe to use, but you were able to charge the battery and took the charge, also boot into Android.
Due to the heat build up inside the covering around the battery bloated with air. ( trapped air )
The home button is not touching the connector and will not work as you know.
You can use TWRP, all its functions are by touch and the home button is not need it to execute any commands.
You can use the Wipe_All flash zip file from this guide:
Click here on how to Wipe All using TWRP
The home button is not need to perform any function in TWRP.
If you do not have it in the Menu, it can be loaded into Memory attaching the Tablet to a PC.
As you know, your Tablet is working. Is all up to you, but is a very quick fix to have your home button working again.

Thank you so much! I will definitely try the wipe_all zip when I get home. It also wipes webOS right?

What would be the solution to have the home button working again? I always thought that swollen batteries were unstable and therefore a risk. So I thought disposing of the tablet was the best option, but just to be safe after I wipe everything
4th March 2019, 07:01 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigos

Thank you so much! I will definitely try the wipe_all zip when I get home. It also wipes webOS right?

It will wipe all the partitions and reformat all of it.
Since you can not use the home button you will have to connect the Tablet to a PC and must have the Palm novacom drivers install.
Download twrp 3.1 all the info is on the link I sent you.
Unzip the TWRP zip file
There is a file name uImage.TWRP
Open a command prompt or terminal in the location of that file
Place the tablet in recovery mode (power and left volume button at same time until the USB symbol shows) and connect to PC
enter the following in the terminal on PC
novacom boot mem:// <uImage.TWRP

It will load TWRP into the Tablet and now you can copy the flash file there and wipe all.

What would be the solution to have the home button working again? I always thought that swollen batteries were unstable and therefore a risk. So I thought disposing of the tablet was the best option, but just to be safe after I wipe everything

The battery of the TP is extremely good, even if is not taking much charge you can use the tablet connected to the charger. It has air trapped inside the nylon cover that is protecting the battery. This is something that you must search on your own and take your own decisions, I can not make it for you. Search on youtube for:
How to fix swollen phone battery, phone battery repairing
If you do not want to take the challenge then wipe it all, sell it or recycle it.
Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to HP_TOUCHPAD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HP_TOUCHPAD Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)