FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How much does your battery drain when screen is off? (how is your battery holding up)

263 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By anonxlg, Senior Member on 28th February 2019, 06:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm still using CM icecream sandwich, and the deepsleep battery is very good. With wifi off and on deep sleep, it can go overnight (8-12 hours) and battery drop will be a few percent only.
Unfortunately, I think i might actually have to upgrade to a newer rom because the 1 game i play on it is not officially supported anymore and I'm getting weird issues with it.

I've tried the CM 4.4.4 twice (once around the time it was released, and once a year or 2 ago) and I couldn't get the battery drain less than 1 and/or 2% per hour, so I reverted back to ICS seeing as there were no real advantages to using a newer rom.
(with these numbers, I use the tablet once a day for 15-20 minutes, i would have to recharge the tablet every 3 or so days, vs a bit over once a week with ICS rom)

So I'm wondering what are some REAL stats from different rom users are getting.

28th February 2019, 06:35 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

More
secondary question which I don't want to make another thread for is how is your battery holding up?

My battery is still pretty damn good considering the age. However, battery dies when it hits the 10-15% mark, so I might have like 4000mah battery left.
28th February 2019, 06:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 220

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonxlg

secondary question which I don't want to make another thread for is how is your battery holding up?

My battery is still pretty damn good considering the age. However, battery dies when it hits the 10-15% mark, so I might have like 4000mah battery left.

Follow all the instructions and install the ROM of your choice from Click Here
You will be surprise to find out for how long the Tablet can hold the charge. If you have not done it yet, re-flash the battery firmware using the ToolBox and you will have a brand new Tablet!
1st March 2019, 01:55 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,278

More
Battery stats and longevity
Quote:

I'm still using CM icecream sandwich, and the deepsleep battery is very good. With wifi off and on deep sleep, it can go overnight (8-12 hours) and battery drop will be a few percent only.
Unfortunately, I think i might actually have to upgrade to a newer rom because the 1 game i play on it is not officially supported anymore and I'm getting weird issues with it.

I've tried the CM 4.4.4 twice (once around the time it was released, and once a year or 2 ago) and I couldn't get the battery drain less than 1 and/or 2% per hour, so I reverted back to ICS seeing as there were no real advantages to using a newer rom.
(with these numbers, I use the tablet once a day for 15-20 minutes, i would have to recharge the tablet every 3 or so days, vs a bit over once a week with ICS rom)

So I'm wondering what are some REAL stats from different rom users are getting.

Here are some examples of good and bad battery drain as seen with the 3C battery monitor widget here
I'm using Milaqs 4.4.4 Kitkat in this example. Try it yourself and compare your stats from the history tab in the 3C app
Lower mA is better and we want to see nice low stable numbers during deep sleep
Click image for larger version

Name:	Good battery drain.png
Views:	38
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	4714792Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad battery drain.png
Views:	30
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	4714790

Quote:

Check out my battery stats from 2013 to today in 2019, as seen from the WebOS Dr. Battery doctor app

Name:	drbattery_2013-19-06_170456.png
Views:	36
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4714793Click image for larger version

Name:	drbattery_2018-25-01_153647.png
Views:	26
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4714807Click image for larger version

Name:	drbattery_2019-01-03_083109.png
Views:	22
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	4714810

The health of the battery is all down to your usage, considering you occasionally use the tablet I'd expect your to have 5000mah+ of battery life still left in the tablet. The tablet i'm using in this example has been used daily since 2011 and had all manner of tests run on it. So its possible your battery might be in better shape than mine.

The HP Touchpads battery does tend to die suddenly at 10-20% so that's a somewhat normal behavior for the tablet. As Nevertells often says if it ain't broke don't fix it, so there is no immediate need to upgrade your tablet if it does everything you want it to. However app compatibility is the biggest complaint when using older builds, I'd recommend using CM11 Kitkat from Milaq or Jcsullins if you can game works with it otherwise move up to Android 7/8. Now you know how to test your tablets battery stats and have all the available guides and info, happy flashing.

Here are the two main install guides for the HP TouchPad. Double stuff has a great guide that's easy to use. I've got a guide below too which has more steps but also instructions for keeping WebOS if needed.

( ROM GUIDE ) How to install Android 8.1, 7.1, 6.0 or 4.4 on Touchpad by DoubleStuff
Or my older guide
[ROM GUIDE] How to Install Android 8.1.x/7.1.2/4.4.4 on the HP TouchPad by RolandDeschain79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

Follow all the instructions and install the ROM of your choice from Click Here
You will be surprise to find out for how long the Tablet can hold the charge. If you have not done it yet, re-flash the battery firmware using the ToolBox and you will have a brand new Tablet!

Please stop spamming the forum with links to your thread in response to every question or I will contact the moderators. If you can answer someone's question and want to help that's fine but stop telling people the minor performance bump from the swap partition will make the tablet brand new, that's simply not true and off topic.
1st March 2019, 07:50 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandDeschain79

Here are some examples of good and bad battery drain as seen with the 3C battery monitor widget here
I'm using Milaqs 4.4.4 Kitkat in this example. Try it yourself and compare your stats from the history tab in the 3C app
Lower mA is better and we want to see nice low stable numbers during deep sleep
Attachment 4714792Attachment 4714790

Check out my battery stats from 2013 to today in 2019, as seen from the WebOS Dr. Battery doctor app
Attachment 4714793Attachment 4714807Attachment 4714810

The health of the battery is all down to your usage, considering you occasionally use the tablet I'd expect your to have 5000mah+ of battery life still left in the tablet. The tablet i'm using in this example has been used daily since 2011 and had all manner of tests run on it. So its possible your battery might be in better shape than mine.

The HP Touchpads battery does tend to die suddenly at 10-20% so that's a somewhat normal behavior for the tablet. As Nevertells often says if it ain't broke don't fix it, so there is no immediate need to upgrade your tablet if it does everything you want it to. However app compatibility is the biggest complaint when using older builds, I'd recommend using CM11 Kitkat from Milaq or Jcsullins if you can game works with it otherwise move up to Android 7/8. Now you know how to test your tablets battery stats and have all the available guides and info, happy flashing.

Here are the two main install guides for the HP TouchPad. Double stuff has a great guide that's easy to use. I've got a guide below too which has more steps but also instructions for keeping WebOS if needed.

( ROM GUIDE ) How to install Android 8.1, 7.1, 6.0 or 4.4 on Touchpad by DoubleStuff
Or my older guide
[ROM GUIDE] How to Install Android 8.1.x/7.1.2/4.4.4 on the HP TouchPad by RolandDeschain79

Please stop spamming the forum with links to your thread in response to every question or I will contact the moderators.
Can you please immediately contact the moderators of XDA and report my post showing one Link to a Topic that is listed as Most Active on the front page.
But in every of your replies there are multiple Links with obsolete guides not even relevant to the subject but as a mean to promote your own YouTube channel.
I would like to know how the XDA moderators feels about the XDA platform been use by users to promote their YouTube channels for financial gains.

If you can answer someone's question and want to help that's fine but stop telling people the minor performance bump from the swap partition will make the tablet brand new, that's simply not true and off topic.

You are calling minor performance gains to well known establish Desktop and Server Operating System of all flavors of Linux of using a native swap partition?
The use of a swap partition by Palm and HP in WebOS was implemented in the HP Touchpad Tablet for no reason?
I can expect those strong opinions from a regular user and it will be acceptable. But from someone like you showing so much ignorance and at the same time providing help, the only thing I can suggest is to please report me and if the moderator finds any of my information misleading or for personal financial gains, everything will be removed from the XDA web site, that way the doors will be open for everyone to see your own Youtube channel promoting your own opinions of other developers work.

Here are links to Youtube videos showing my proposed settings in action.
Is not recorded with a video camera, but with an app inside Android at 30 frames for second with stereo Audio at the same time an HD 720 video is been stream and play.

Click here Dirty Unicorns
Click here Evervolv
18th March 2019, 03:08 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,278

More
Stop double posting and exaggerating
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_TOUCHPAD

You are calling minor performance gains to well known establish Desktop and Server Operating System of all flavors of Linux of using a native swap partition?
The use of a swap partition by Palm and HP in WebOS was implemented in the HP Touchpad Tablet for no reason?
I can expect those strong opinions from a regular user and it will be acceptable. But from someone like you showing so much ignorance and at the same time providing help, the only thing I can suggest is to please report me and if the moderator finds any of my information misleading or for personal financial gains, everything will be removed from the XDA web site, that way the doors will be open for everyone to see your own Youtube channel promoting your own opinions of other developers work.

Here are links to Youtube videos showing my proposed settings in action.
Is not recorded with a video camera, but with an app inside Android at 30 frames for second with stereo Audio at the same time an HD 720 video is been stream and play.

Click here Dirty Unicorns
Click here Evervolv

Ignorance would be claiming a massive performance increase without posting any stats proving your point. Just cause you haven't been around to see the previous discussions about using zram and swap partitions doesn't mean people haven't tested this already. In addition, claiming I'm trying to get rid of you to promote my myself, then posting video links is clearly a hypocritical self-promotion. Not to mention constantly posting in large blue text for a grab at attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumash

HP TOUCHPAD has discovered a wonderful way to speed up the old girl, but for many it's too complicated. So here's an easy way.

1. Download my latest SKZ Kernel from here
  2. Download Swapper from the Playstore

This creates a swapfile rather than a swap partition. Their's plenty of discussion about the relative merits of each, but for normal operations, they're pretty much equivalent.

You'll need to be rooted, of course, and your ROM needs to be Dirty Unicorns. Set the swap for what you want (I used 384 MB, but you'll never need more than 1 GB). The kernel contains most of HP TOUCHPAD's changes, but I've not disabled anything in the kernel, so you can still set it any way you want.

Enjoy, and be sure and thank HP TOUCHPAD for his great work.
Quote:

Name:	TheSwapper.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	4726282Click image for larger version

Name:	HPTPZramtest.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	4726283
So I tested this alternate easy way method to hp_touchpad's swap partition guide and found it works just as well. Here are the results of the new kernel plus swapper vs the older kernel, the stock 1.5ghz clocks were used for testing. Since I was experimenting with swap stuff I also tested out using just the zram setting with Milaqs Kitkat to see if I could get similar results. the zram is part of the Kernel Adiutor (ROOT) app here

Double posting is against the XDA forum rules and you have been reported. See your most recent example here and here I politely asked you to stop.

I am all for people being interested in sharing knowledge about the HP TouchPad and I applaud your efforts in improving the performance with a non app made swap partition. however, I would appreciate it if you would follow the forum rules, stay on topic, do not spam us with double posts, and avoid making grandiose claims without statistical proof.
8th April 2019, 05:30 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Ignorance would be claiming a massive performance increase without posting any stats proving your point.
On my guides I have posted links to youtube showing what is possible to achieve by implementing a swap partition, is always best to research and read carefully before making accusation of any one claim.
Just cause you haven't been around to see the previous discussions about using zram and swap partitions doesn't mean people haven't tested this already.
I have my original HPTP since 2011, Android was never implemented to use the swap partition that came native with WebOS and could have been share by Android.
The use of zRAM is for smartphones with low RAM and is a compress swap file in Memory. Making the CPU work twice as much compressing and decompressing . Is the only alternative for a true Android phone to increase RAM, a swap file in memory. That is not necessary for the HPTP as it can be set up with any swap partition size, it even came with it.

In addition, claiming I'm trying to get rid of you to promote my myself, then posting video links is clearly a hypocritical self-promotion. Not to mention constantly posting in large blue text for a grab at attention.
You have replied with CPU statistics about my posting related to swap and claiming that there is not much performance when apparently you do not have any idea how a swap partition works and using CPU benchmarks Apps to make false claims. The reason for using larger fonts in blue on my replies is to save screen space and make it easier for users to understand the discussion as a chat mode. You should learn how to do it, or should I make a guide to help you?
Double posting is against the XDA forum rules and you have been reported.
Now that you are following my presence on the XDA forums and reporting my intentions to help HPTP users to install Android 9 (Pie) by providing a link. I will suggest that you follow my guide on how to Install Android 9 on the Tablet, is built in by default to take advantage of swapping, and the users that benefits the most are the ones that use it for games, as it provides maximum settings and more RAM available.
See your most recent example here and here I politely asked you to stop.
If you really care for the HP TOUCHPAD user base on this forum, blocking useful content about installing Android 9 does not show your true intentions but more of a hypocritical use of double posting rules to elevate your ego and diminish the help to the users.
I am all for people being interested in sharing knowledge about the HP TouchPad and I applaud your efforts in improving the performance with a non app made swap partition. however, I would appreciate it if you would follow the forum rules, stay on topic, do not spam us with double posts, and avoid making grandiose claims without statistical proof.
If you have concerns or would like to share your views on my guide:
HP TOUCHPAD Optimize for Android with Swap Partition and SKZ Kernel_ Flash Files_
As you have pointed out, by the XDA forums rules you should be writing your comments on my thread and not on here. Lets share ideas and be productive but attacking users that are trying to help is not a way to help anyone.

If you want to be an XDA police bot, you should add another link to your posting.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)