SailFishOS on the TouchPad

Search This thread

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
How did you get it working?

Well first you must know my setup. I have completely wiped everything including webOS from my device.

But I used tptoolbox to create cyanogenmod partitions. Then gave 1.5Gb to system. 1.0Gb to cache, and 8.0Gb to data. Then I flashed jshafers cm11 zip then flashed the sailfish zip. It takes about 2 minutes for sailfish to boot.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Would there be any reason why start-user-session.service and user@100000.service take 30+ seconds each during boot?

Atari-San

Jun 23, 2013
Is there a way to dual boot this in a modern way without using Ninjaswag or a deprecated method with kexec. Would be cool to have a partitionning method with the TP Toolbox.

Atari-San

Jun 23, 2013
What do you mean? Using moboot right?

Yeah, i tried both 2 years ago and idk why but my tab don't seem to like those kexec stuff. I never got it to have it working right for the touchless version and ninjaswag's touch was not working at all. I am currently always using pac roms on kitkat and don't plan to upgrade soon nor remove it, already removed webos. It's just that looking at this thread with everyone saying it's the best linux based alternative to android make me currious and looking at the what's working on the first post make me impress that there's finally a good Linux roms for the tenderloin. Well, something like a partitionning script with moboot support would be great or direct support from the tp toolbox. This community will always impress me with ther HTC HD2 of the tablet, making it run the 5.1.1 lollipop roms.

jshafer817

Jul 11, 2010
NRH, TX.
www.onsitedentalsystems.com
Is there a way to dual boot this in a modern way without using Ninjaswag or a deprecated method with kexec. Would be cool to have a partitionning method with the TP Toolbox.

Yeah, i tried both 2 years ago and idk why but my tab don't seem to like those kexec stuff. I never got it to have it working right for the touchless version and ninjaswag's touch was not working at all. I am currently always using pac roms on kitkat and don't plan to upgrade soon nor remove it, already removed webos. It's just that looking at this thread with everyone saying it's the best linux based alternative to android make me currious and looking at the what's working on the first post make me impress that there's finally a good Linux roms for the tenderloin. Well, something like a partitionning script with moboot support would be great or direct support from the tp toolbox. This community will always impress me with ther HTC HD2 of the tablet, making it run the 5.1.1 lollipop roms.

This doesn't require it's own partitions, just a kernel in /boot. You do need a data/media setup, and I have my data partition at 10GB right now.

I would also look at Will's 3.4 Arch

lebenskuenstler

Aug 5, 2010
It works for me, except after installing zypper and rebooting it just gives me a black screen.

Hello, how did you resolve the black screen issue? I installed both linked cm11- and afterwards sailfishOS-images. I have dm-partitions (set up by TPToolbox) and Phil's recovery with dm-support.

Thanks,
LK

John944S2

May 15, 2015
Schieder-Schwalenberg
Does not work

Hello,

I downloaded CM11 from the first page of this thread. Then I tried to install it with TPToolbox:
ERROR: Invalid number of Recovery ZIPs (0)
ERROR: Checking Install ZIP files. Aborting.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to use an other tool to flash?

John944S2

May 15, 2015
Schieder-Schwalenberg
Some progress

I made some progress, here is what I achieved so far.
I generally followed the ROM GUIDE on Rootzwiki (Super Easy Way) from RolandDeschain79 (sadly I can't post any links because I am new here...:rolleyes:)
- step 1 : preparing, downloading tools...
- step 2: decided to delete webOS, like @blmvxer mentioned
- step 3: connect Touchpad with PC (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit)
- step 4: run TPToolbox_v42
- step 5A: removing webOS deleting all further data
- step 5B: installing CM-11 from @jshafer817

Step 5B needs to copy 3 files to the "ttinstall" folder:
- first the CM-11 zip file from @jshafer817
- second the ClockWorkMod (CWM). It must fit to CM-11 data media install. I used the file "update-PhilZ_CWM-jcs-dm-tenderloin-20140612.zip". You should find it somewhere, if you google for it.
- third file is the GApps. It must fit to Android 4.4.x. I used the file "gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip". You should find it somewhere, if you google for it.

After copying the files you will have to set the partition sizes. I used the sizes which @blmvxer mentiones (1.5Gb to system. 1.0Gb to cache, and 8.0Gb to data)
After that, TPToolbox installs CM-11 to the Touchpad, which is working fine for me :eek:.

So, that's it so far. Next step is to get Sailfish to the device. I will come back here if I have any news on this :fingers-crossed:.

John944S2

May 15, 2015
Schieder-Schwalenberg
So, now I got Sailfish running. Sadly I have the black screen issue as @lebenskuenstler has.

This is what I did:
- Reboot and follow step 3 to connect the Touchpad with your PC
- follow step 4 to run TPToolbox
- now follow step 5B and copy the Sailfish ZIP file from @jshafer817 to the "ttinstall" folder on the device
- TPToolbox will not flash this file
- reboot from the TPToolbox menu
- choose recovery mode from boot options
- select wipe data/factory reset
- choose install zip
- choose zip from /storage/sdcard1
- goto folder ttinstall and select the sailfish zip file
- reboot after installation is done

Now you have a "Sailfish" entry in the boot menu. If you select this, sailfish boots and you probably get the black screen.

If you connect the device, you can see the RNDIS network device connecting. So I'm quite sure that sailfish is running, it must be some graphic issue :crying:.

Interestingly, I can still use CM-11 which is working really nicely.

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
I made some progress, here is what I achieved so far.
I generally followed the ROM GUIDE on Rootzwiki (Super Easy Way) from RolandDeschain79 (sadly I can't post any links because I am new here...:rolleyes:)
- step 1 : preparing, downloading tools...
- step 2: decided to delete webOS, like @blmvxer mentioned
- step 3: connect Touchpad with PC (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit)
- step 4: run TPToolbox_v42
- step 5A: removing webOS deleting all further data
- step 5B: installing CM-11 from @jshafer817

Step 5B needs to copy 3 files to the "ttinstall" folder:
- first the CM-11 zip file from @jshafer817
- second the ClockWorkMod (CWM). It must fit to CM-11 data media install. I used the file "update-PhilZ_CWM-jcs-dm-tenderloin-20140612.zip". You should find it somewhere, if you google for it.
- third file is the GApps. It must fit to Android 4.4.x. I used the file "gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip". You should find it somewhere, if you google for it.

After copying the files you will have to set the partition sizes. I used the sizes which @blmvxer mentiones (1.5Gb to system. 1.0Gb to cache, and 8.0Gb to data)
After that, TPToolbox installs CM-11 to the Touchpad, which is working fine for me :eek:.

So, that's it so far. Next step is to get Sailfish to the device. I will come back here if I have any news on this :fingers-crossed:.

Also the first thing I do after repartitioning, is I boot back into webos recovery, boot clockworkmod uImage via novacom. Then start using adb to push recovery and other zips. It saves a lot of time for me. Its kinda like my rhythm. :p

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Also full boot is well over the 2 minute mark for sailfish, as systemd-analyze shows. How long have you guys kept it on after first boot?

John944S2

May 15, 2015
Schieder-Schwalenberg
Also the first thing I do after repartitioning, is I boot back into webos recovery, boot clockworkmod uImage via novacom. Then start using adb to push recovery and other zips. It saves a lot of time for me. Its kinda like my rhythm. :p

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Also full boot is well over the 2 minute mark for sailfish, as systemd-analyze shows. How long have you guys kept it on after first boot?

Hello @blmvxer

thanks for your informations :good:. It seems that your way is working so I will try this out next.
I waited at least ten minutes after booting Sailfish. I am quite sure that Sailfish is running because I see the NDIS device if I connect it to the PC.
Problem is only the black screen.

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
Hello @blmvxer

thanks for your informations :good:. It seems that your way is working so I will try this out next.
I waited at least ten minutes after booting Sailfish. I am quite sure that Sailfish is running because I see the NDIS device if I connect it to the PC.
Problem is only the black screen.

I wonder why you can't get the screen working. Can you get a full dmesg?

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
Unfortunately I can't get a SSH connection. I tried:
sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2
ssh root@192.168.2.1 -p22

Error: could not find route to 192.168.2.1 :(

I just remembered sailfish generates a random password in settings for ssh so it wouldn't matter unless the screen was correctly working.

John944S2

May 15, 2015
Schieder-Schwalenberg
I just remembered sailfish generates a random password in settings for ssh so it wouldn't matter unless the screen was correctly working.

Yeah, I think you're right, too bad without UI.

Anyway, I will now try to proceed as you suggested...

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

So, this doesn't work either :rolleyes:.
This is what I did:
- wipe everything with TPToolbox
- setup partitions in the size you mentioned with TPToolbox
- reboot to webOS recovery
- start CWM with novacom
- I used the file "update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip" which is from JcSullins v6.0.1.9
- novacom boot mem:// < ~/Projekte/HP_Touchpad/CWM/uImage.ClockworkMod​
- in CWM I mounted the sdcard and copied the two zip files (CM11 and Sailfish)
- adb push ~/Projekte/HP_Touchpad/CM11/cm-11-20150422-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip /sdcard/
- adb push ~/Projekte/HP_Touchpad/Sailfish/sailfishos-tenderloin-release-1.1.4.28-my1.zip /sdcard/​
- then in CWM install zip and choose the CM-11

Then while installing CM-11 I get an error:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /sdcard/cm-11-20150422-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip
Installation aborted.

:confused::confused::confused:

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Yeah, I think you're right, too bad without UI.

Anyway, I will now try to proceed as you suggested...

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

So, this doesn't work either :rolleyes:.
This is what I did:
- wipe everything with TPToolbox
- setup partitions in the size you mentioned with TPToolbox
- reboot to webOS recovery
- start CWM with novacom
- I used the file "update-CWM6_tenderloin-20121215.zip" which is from JcSullins v6.0.1.9
- novacom boot mem:// < ~/Projekte/HP_Touchpad/CWM/uImage.ClockworkMod​
- in CWM I mounted the sdcard and copied the two zip files (CM11 and Sailfish)
- adb push ~/Projekte/HP_Touchpad/CM11/cm-11-20150422-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip /sdcard/
- adb push ~/Projekte/HP_Touchpad/Sailfish/sailfishos-tenderloin-release-1.1.4.28-my1.zip /sdcard/​
- then in CWM install zip and choose the CM-11

Then while installing CM-11 I get an error:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /sdcard/cm-11-20150422-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip
Installation aborted.

:confused::confused::confused:

I got it running :)!!! No more black screen:good:!!!
I just used another CWM: "update-CWM-jcs-dm-tenderloin-20140612.zip". This is also from JcSullins.
With this CWM the installation of Sailfish lasts a lot longer.

I really do respect your work, but you have to provide more detailed information about the tools and their versions one has to use to get everything running!!!

John944S2

May 15, 2015
Schieder-Schwalenberg
Oh no, I have the black screen issue back :(:(!
I had to reboot because after an hour or so, the touch screen suddenly was not accepting any inputs.
After reboot I got the black screeen.

Then I reflashed Sailfish and after the next reboot I had my black screen again:crying:

I will try to get a dmesg output via ssh.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone want to play with it? I wasn't going to upload anything until SFOS 2.0 (where the orientation is actually right) But if someone wants to play, I will upload something.

No long winded posts for now. So don't except to see anything for about a month regarding Sail Fish 2.0
    Orientation is working, so is Sound and Pulse through libhybris and droid-sinc instead of using the ucm files without pulse.. Which probably would not fly with sailfish without pulse...

I tried to use pulse with the ucm files, only seems to work without pulse and just alsa.. sure would like to know why, but oh well.. hybris works...

Orientation is in landscape.. kinda strange, I think it would be better in SFOS 2.0 which should be out soon. Had to edit a QML file.
    SAILFISH 1.1.4.28 FOR THE HP TOUCHPAD (SFOS 2.0 will be out soon)

P1070375.jpg

(Skip creating an account)

What works?
    Bluetooth, Wifi, Sound, Codecs, Sensors, Graphics.
    What does not work?
    If you toggle Bluetooth, it will not work... Camera does not work (never really tried).. mtp server

Note: SailFish 1.0 is meant for phones... Keyboard orientation is wrong in most apps. Just an FYI. Don't gripe.

username: root password: root

RNDIS is currently how I am transferring data to the device.
    sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2
    192.168.2.1 port 2323 for telnet or port 22 for ssh
    Or use the ip address via wifi.

Orientation: Go to Settings, Display, and set the Orientation for Landscape, if you like. SailFish does not support Landscape in "lipstick" but 2.0 should support that as they are releasing the Jolla Tablet and it looks like it is Landscape.

Copying Media:
    Login as root and set a password for nemo, login as nemo. Copy files to your folder (ie Videos\Jolla) and chown the files for nemo.

You MUST install the CM-11 ROM that goes with SailFish.
    Both Kernels for CM11 and SailFish have been compressed with XZ.

I use ClockWorkMod that supports /data/media roms.

CM11 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ERXWZfh_RJQzJENjVxQUxha00/view?usp=sharing
    SailFish 1.1.4.28 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ERXWZfh_RJdENKY25ieGFHME0/view?usp=sharing

(If you disable system.mount and create your own /system folder that contains the CM11 rom, then you could use another rom of your choice in your cm-system partition)

Thanks to : WillCast (castrwilliam), JCSullins, Invisiblek, FlintMan, stskeeps, locusf, sledges, Nokius, MSameer, vgrade and Mal.

Jolla Store: Not enabled until Jolla wants to enable it.

Try the Open Repo WareHouse Store:
    https://openrepos.net/content/basil/warehouse-sailfishos Copy the rpm to the device and install it via rpm.
    icon-ghost-shape1-cat-256.png

One day jolla might enable the store, for the touchpad... rom needs to be tested.
    Status Update

Graphics are now stable, and we are using hwcomposer now instead of fbdev.

That is great. Wifi works... I am using the 3.0 kernel.. 3.4 would work as well... but for now I am staying on 3.0. Plus the backlight is better. :)

Working out orientation issues. I got half of it to be right..
    SailFish OS 2.0 actually supports Landscape but it is not realeased yet.. And it will be running on the jolla tablet.

Instead of buying a jolla tablet..... ;)
    Video Acceleration is now working

Sweet. So is audio.