FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[unofficial][linux3.4][native][tarchive][revised]ArchLinuxARM release for HP TouchPad

211 posts
Thanks Meter: 340

Post Reply Email Thread
13th December 2015, 06:25 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmvxer

I have to charge my tablet up so I can reinstall webos, but from what I can see it should work with the link you have me.

Yeah.. from dead this tablet takes ages to properly charge... maybe at least mine did since I couldn't find a proper AC adapter... lol

Let me know when you've got something. My issue was getting the root partition mounting properly... >_> Are you going to try what I did? Using crimsonred's github installation.md but substituting the uImage and rootfs with @castrwilliam's?

13th December 2015, 10:05 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 618

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiggity

Yeah.. from dead this tablet takes ages to properly charge... maybe at least mine did since I couldn't find a proper AC adapter... lol

Let me know when you've got something. My issue was getting the root partition mounting properly... >_> Are you going to try what I did? Using crimsonred's github installation.md but substituting the uImage and rootfs with @castrwilliam's?

I'm using crimsonred's without swapping the uImages, and depending on how things go I may build a new uImage with all our Linux patches.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote:

https://youtu.be/-sCbwKOIv54
14th December 2015, 01:42 AM |#23  

More
Sweet! Could you write up a step-by-step on how you got it all booting? Also, is that CrimsonRed's uImage, or did you build a new one with the aforementioned Linux patches? Is webOS still there, or did you totally nuke it and give all 16 (or 32 GB) to Arch? What's working / not working? Does screen rotation work with how you got it installed? @castrwilliam said that HW acceleration was working, but it was buggy, and that audio works but it's wonky.... How's the performance of GNOME 3.2.1? Lastly, could you make a video of how videos playback either locally or from YouTube or similar sources? I appreciate your time with this.
14th December 2015, 01:54 AM |#24  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sweet! Could you write up a step-by-step on how you got it all booting? Also, is that CrimsonRed's uImage, or did you build a new one with the aforementioned Linux patches? Is webOS still there, or did you totally nuke it and give all 16 (or 32 GB) to Arch? What's working / not working? Does screen rotation work with how you got it installed? @castrwilliam said that HW acceleration was working, but it was buggy, and that audio works but it's wonky.... How's the performance of GNOME 3.2.1? Lastly, could you make a video of how videos playback either locally or from YouTube or similar sources? I appreciate your time with this.

It'll take me sometime to answer all your questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to blmvxer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blmvxer Ad-Free
14th December 2015, 03:12 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Kernel is quite complex to update. Last time I tried to compile the desktop_34 branch from @castrwilliam it gave me a panic related to msm sound driver, according to the panics that i have. Also, it needs some modifications to compile with GCC 5.2, which is by now the default on Arch. Same goes for compiling the most updated xf86-video-freedreno, it hangs Xorg. (Including mesa and libdrm dependencies with freedreno options enabled)

For the rest of things, i've updated everything and software works nicely.
14th December 2015, 04:09 AM |#26  

More
Quote:

It'll take me sometime to answer all your questions.

No problem. Take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBuru

Kernel is quite complex to update. Last time I tried to compile the desktop_34 branch from @castrwilliam it gave me a panic related to msm sound driver, according to the panics that i have. Also, it needs some modifications to compile with GCC 5.2, which is by now the default on Arch. Same goes for compiling the most updated xf86-video-freedreno, it hangs Xorg. (Including mesa and libdrm dependencies with freedreno options enabled)

For the rest of things, i've updated everything and software works nicely.

In the meanwhile could you help me get it all running ? I'd like to have my 32 gb TP be 95% native Linux and leave webOS there for recovery purposes if possible.
14th December 2015, 05:31 PM |#27  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Okay so from the beginning,

1: I wiped the tablet completely using tptoolbox, then recreated webOS partitions.
2: I used webos doctor 3.0.5, and the device bypass tool
3:Entered developers mode
4:Connected to novacom and initialized novaterm, then began following CrimsonRed's instructions.

There is no screen rotation app on this tarchive, I'm assuming we're just framebuffering(As this is the 2011 version), so no 3d acceleration yet, audio doesn't workon this version either, and 3.2.1 of gnome boots into fallback which understandable given the driver issues.

I can't test much until I get rotation down because I have a deadspot in the Landscape upper right corner(which conviently is where the application menu is).

I am working on getting the uImage from this thread booting, and also updating the Arch base to the latest while still maintaining gcc and the driver versions.

[edit]
Also to use the castrwilliam kernel with the other build or viceversa we would have to mount the kernel and change where it mounts the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to blmvxer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blmvxer Ad-Free
14th December 2015, 07:49 PM |#28  

More
Quote:

Okay so from the beginning,

1: I wiped the tablet completely using tptoolbox, then recreated webOS partitions.
2: I used webos doctor 3.0.5, and the device bypass tool
3:Entered developers mode
4:Connected to novacom and initialized novaterm, then began following CrimsonRed's instructions.

There is no screen rotation app on this tarchive, I'm assuming we're just framebuffering(As this is the 2011 version), so no 3d acceleration yet, audio doesn't workon this version either, and 3.2.1 of gnome boots into fallback which understandable given the driver issues.

I can't test much until I get rotation down because I have a deadspot in the Landscape upper right corner(which conviently is where the application menu is).

I am working on getting the uImage from this thread booting, and also updating the Arch base to the latest while still maintaining gcc and the driver versions.

[edit]
Also to use the castrwilliam kernel with the other build or viceversa we would have to mount the kernel and change where it mounts the system.

Awesome. Thanks for the update. Once you have something to test let me know.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Also, I'd imagine that a bash script (Linux/Mac OS X etc) or a batch script (Windows) could be created to one-step this whole install process. Should anyone whip up one of those I'll help test that as well.
15th December 2015, 02:08 AM |#29  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Awesome. Thanks for the update. Once you have something to test let me know.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Also, I'd imagine that a bash script (Linux/Mac OS X etc) or a batch script (Windows) could be created to one-step this whole install process. Should anyone whip up one of those I'll help test that as well.

I can write one up for Linux later tonight or tomorrow. You'll just be able to run it using novaterm or wterm.
15th December 2015, 08:08 AM |#30  

More
Quote:

I can write one up for Linux later tonight or tomorrow. You'll just be able to run it using novaterm or wterm.

Okay cool. How's the arch image coming?
15th December 2015, 03:01 PM |#31  

More
For anyone doing work on the kernel check this out: https://github.com/freedreno/kernel-...tenderloin-3.0

also here's a suggestion from robclark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robclark from #freedreno

<robclark> elcapshiggitay, I do have a TP somewhere in a box packed away in a closet somewhere.. (and with, presumably by now, a completely flat battery :P)... but there was a 3.0 kernel that was working.. https://github.com/freedreno/kernel-...tenderloin-3.0
<elcapshiggitay> haha hi robclark
<elcapshiggitay> long time
<elcapshiggitay> They're using 3.4...
<elcapshiggitay> I dunno if they'd wanna downgrade kernels
<elcapshiggitay> Would you be willing to help us out?
<robclark> well, I'm not really going to have a whole lot of time until after christmas.. kinda crunch time right now.. but maybe you can just take drivers/video/msm and drivers/gpu/msm from the 3.0 kernel?

Also also, what's stopping you from using a newer kernel like something from the 4.x branch?

Here's the Evervolv Lollipop 5.1.1 source.. I dunno what the htc part is doing there, but if they can get Android 5.1.1 running on our device, then I don't see why we can't use it to help Arch to run.

https://github.com/Evervolv/android_kernel_htc_msm8960

Also also also, I decided to install the 2011 CrimsonRedMK build and I issued a "pacman -Syu" to get all the most up to date packages possible, and upon reboot the pacman command no longer works, though its binary is where you'd expect it to be (/usr/bin/pacman). When executed it's all "-bash: /usr/bin/pacman: No such file or directory" when it's obviously not true.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)