FORUMS

QC 3.0 compliant cables?

289 posts
Thanks Meter: 101

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

the last days brought some fuzz about QC 3.0 vs. USB-C 3.0. From what I learned, the main concern was that QC 3.0 would allow up to 18V where USB-C 3.0 limits it to 15V. I guess this is only of concern if QC 3.0 is configured to use 18V where it could also use 12V.

How many Volts does the HTC 10 use and which USB-C cables (besides the one that comes with the HTC 10) are compliant that they can be used to QC 3.0 the HTC 10?

I ordered these because they are USB-C 3.0 spec compliant and hoped, these would also work for QC 3.0 (not only charging but quick charging):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B634WNK/..._cAlixb1AC04M7

Would it work to QC 3.0 my HTC 10 when it arrives? Can anyone shed light on this?
29th April 2016, 09:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,566

More
AFAIK the charger (bought in Taiwan) that came with the Device supports 5v 2.5A, 9V 1.7A and 12V 1.25A only

Gesendet von meinem HTC_M10h mit Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldi4803 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Haldi4803 Ad-Free
29th April 2016, 08:35 PM |#3  
Flag Bahrain
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Actually, the original USB Type-C specification limits the voltage to 5.25v max ( 4.75v min)...

But there's another specification which is USB Power Delivery, which can handle up to 20V/5A, although it's only on this USB PD... QC does not follow USB PD spec. and the USB 3.0 specification does not allow any proprietary spec. to increase the voltage more than 5.25v.

Regarding the QC 3.0 compliant cable, as long as the cable follows the USB Type-C specification then it's okay, and the best is a cable that follows the USB 3.1 gen 1 Type-C specification as this is what HTC 10 actually have...

having more voltage only requires more insulation which for a 20V is very easy and even a cheap cable can do it, as the USB specification requires more shielding for the USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 ( ie USB 3.0 and the new USB 3.1 ).. and that's compared to USB 2.0 requirement...

Higher current is what require more from the cable, as the copper needs to be thicker ( the higher the current, the thicker the copper cable needs to be )... you can see already some cables that are thicker than others, some of them because of thicker copper, and some for thicker shielding, and some might be from having both

I just ordered these cables which are very good according to spec. and reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-p...ilpage_o00_s00

specially that "Benson Leung" reviewed them and he approved it ( He's a 'Top 50 reviewer' list), the cables were actually faulty and he gave them 2 stars rating, then the company replaced it with newer version which where perfect and fully compliant with USB Type-C specifications including the requirement of a 56K ohm resistor which was wrong before... and the cables are USB 3.1 gen 1 compliant also so it should have full speed ( not just USB 2.0 speeds ).. but I still didn't receive them nor I have HTC 10 on hand ( not yet released here ) so I cant give my personal opinion on them...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xajel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xajel Ad-Free
29th April 2016, 08:51 PM |#4  
Flag Kuwait City
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Look this for accessories support
https://www.qualcomm.com/media/docum...evice-list.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
29th April 2016, 11:25 PM |#5  
Flag Pearl City
Thanks Meter: 398

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajel

Actually, the original USB Type-C specification limits the voltage to 5.25v max ( 4.75v min)...

But there's another specification which is USB Power Delivery, which can handle up to 20V/5A, although it's only on this USB PD... QC does not follow USB PD spec. and the USB 3.0 specification does not allow any proprietary spec. to increase the voltage more than 5.25v.

Regarding the QC 3.0 compliant cable, as long as the cable follows the USB Type-C specification then it's okay, and the best is a cable that follows the USB 3.1 gen 1 Type-C specification as this is what HTC 10 actually have...

having more voltage only requires more insulation which for a 20V is very easy and even a cheap cable can do it, as the USB specification requires more shielding for the USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 ( ie USB 3.0 and the new USB 3.1 ).. and that's compared to USB 2.0 requirement...

Higher current is what require more from the cable, as the copper needs to be thicker ( the higher the current, the thicker the copper cable needs to be )... you can see already some cables that are thicker than others, some of them because of thicker copper, and some for thicker shielding, and some might be from having both

I just ordered these cables which are very good according to spec. and reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-p...ilpage_o00_s00

specially that "Benson Leung" reviewed them and he approved it ( He's a 'Top 50 reviewer' list), the cables were actually faulty and he gave them 2 stars rating, then the company replaced it with newer version which where perfect and fully compliant with USB Type-C specifications including the requirement of a 56K ohm resistor which was wrong before... and the cables are USB 3.1 gen 1 compliant also so it should have full speed ( not just USB 2.0 speeds ).. but I still didn't receive them nor I have HTC 10 on hand ( not yet released here ) so I cant give my personal opinion on them...

PD 1.0 5.25V max for 2.0 cables. For 3.1 cables it is 20V/5A which is PD 2.0. So honestly I don't see why people are all it isn't compliant. The only difference between the two. Is one can charge while transferring data and the other can't. People just make sure you have a complaint cable and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
30th April 2016, 02:49 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidbits

PD 1.0 5.25V max for 2.0 cables. For 3.1 cables it is 20V/5A which is PD 2.0. So honestly I don't see why people are all it isn't compliant. The only difference between the two. Is one can charge while transferring data and the other can't. People just make sure you have a complaint cable and you'll be fine.

But what is a compliant cable? How do we know if it's compliant?

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app
30th April 2016, 02:58 AM |#7  
Flag Pearl City

More
Any cable compliant with USB specification. Just because it's a quick charger you are using doesn't mean it needs it own cable.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

One thing I will say though. Don't bother using skinny cables. Chances are they don't have enough copper and insulation. Those are probably not even compliant in a lot of cases.

3rd May 2016, 12:44 AM |#8  
Flag Finland
Thanks Meter: 430

More
Well, I found my charging cable! 7.96€ shipped to me.
http://www.portablepowersupplies.co....c-usb-c-cable/

Nice and thick 20AWG power wires, also it's a charge+sync instead of their red colored "charge only".
Which means Quick Charge actually works because there's a digital handshake that needs to happen before Quick Charge works.

With 20AWG wires there's not gonna be a lot of voltage drop.. Perfect for charging.
Now I'll just go and look for a nice USB 3.0 data cable (A to C) as I doubt that PortaPow cable is USB 3.0... Quite unlikely actually.
3rd May 2016, 08:06 AM |#9  
Flag Pearl City

More
I got Monocable ones. They are more expensive but have a lifetime warranty AND are BEEFY. 5X cable in the middle. Samsung is the other white one.

24th May 2016, 02:03 PM |#10  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 2,600

Donate to Me
More
I use USB A-C cables that I bought for my Nexus 6P, and all of them are compliant per the USB spec. I've tested many of them with my HTC 10 and they all work just fine via QC 2.0/3.0
24th May 2016, 03:09 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademmer

Hi,

the last days brought some fuzz about QC 3.0 vs. USB-C 3.0. From what I learned, the main concern was that QC 3.0 would allow up to 18V where USB-C 3.0 limits it to 15V. I guess this is only of concern if QC 3.0 is configured to use 18V where it could also use 12V.

How many Volts does the HTC 10 use and which USB-C cables (besides the one that comes with the HTC 10) are compliant that they can be used to QC 3.0 the HTC 10?

I ordered these because they are USB-C 3.0 spec compliant and hoped, these would also work for QC 3.0 (not only charging but quick charging):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B634WNK/..._cAlixb1AC04M7

Would it work to QC 3.0 my HTC 10 when it arrives? Can anyone shed light on this?

I just got these cables from Aukey and the weirdest thing is they don't work with the HTC 10 charger. Just don't charge. So I plugged the cable to my Samsung Quickcharge 3.0?(from my Samsung S7E) and they worked like a charm. So I think this cable may be suspect.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)