as for me such guides were really helpful in the past, I decided to do one on my own, to show you how to perform a full de-brand of your device. I did it with a European HTC 10, that has been branded with a specific german carrier CID, as well as SKU, to obtain a full fledged WWE version and thus receive OTA updates as soon as they hit the marked.
In many points I tried carrying together all that has been written prior to performing the de-branding. So there are in fact many things menitoned bekow which have already been written by others. Anyway I'll give the steps again in this tutorial as I think it is of importance to many that they can read the hole to do in one thread. But I advise everyone to read - at least - the threads I linked to, to understand everything in detail.
Please note that I will not accept any responsibility for possible occurring bricks. I can only confirm that this tutorial has been used by me, for my specific unit and all went successful.
- De-brand/convert to WWE using a Nandroid backup
- De-brand/convert to WWE using a RUU.zip
- De-brand/convert to US unlocked using a RUU.exe
- Knowledge of adb/fastboot
- htc_fastboot and adb installed
- GSM HTC 10
- 07 RU_CID_FAIL: CID in android-info.txt does not match your phone’s CID
- 10 RU_MODELID_FAIL: MID in android-info.txt does not match your phone’s MID
- 12 SIGNATURE FAIL: phone expects an HTC signature and can't find one; or found a wrong one
- 22 RU_HEADER_ERROR: something wrong with your zip; check md5 of download
- 23 PARSING IMAGE FAIL: something wrong with the image within the zip
- 24 ANDROID-INFO FAIL: something wrong with android-info.txt within the zip
- 32 HEADER ERROR: the zip couldn't be read and unzipped properly; seems same as 22.
- 33 NOT KNOWN YET: might indicate hardware failure.
- 35 FAILED (remote: 35 RU_PARTITION_NOT_SUPPORT <PartitionName>): means you can’t flash an image in download mode, as it has to be done in bootloader mode.
- 41 WRONG MODEL ID: means the RUU is menat for a different device
- 42 WRONG CUSTOMER ID: means you got to swap CID first
- 90 PRE-UPDATE FAIL: means it only flashed aboot and you have to run the process again immediately to flash all other partitions. The htc_fastboot.exe now auto-reboots on Error 90!
- 99 UNKNOWN: usually indicates you are S-ON, but sometimes also recognizes other Security related issues.
- 130 WRONG MODEL ID: see 41
- 155 INDICATES DIFFERENT THINGS:
- the need to relock bootloader; if S-ON
- the RUU cannot be executed, because the software versions of ROM, Firmware and RUU aren't matching
- 170 CHECK USB: RUU won’t run because ADB isn't working properly
- 171 USB ERROR: happens all the time when the RUU reboots the phone to download mode. For some reason the device is losing its connection and making a RUU flash virtually impossible . There is an incompatibility between USB 3/3.1 and Fastboot/ADB, as well as an issue with Windows Device Detection on the newer Windows 10 builds.
171 USB ERROR FIX by @Sneakyghost:
How to fix RUU error 171 on Windows 10x64 easily
System: Win 10 Redstone (1607) x64 with Intel based USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports:
- Sync Manager from HTC Website
- Imported Reg-File from Post #1
@jcase for his guide and PSA thread on rooting and S-OFF for the 10 found here and here
@Captain_Throwback for maintaining TWRP and his thread to be found here
@Chainfire for developing and maintaining SuperSu and his thread found here
@topjohnwu for his Stock Backups/Recovery/OTA/RUU thread, found here
- De-brand to WWE using RUU.zip updated to 2.41.401.4
[GUIDE] De-brand/convert the HTC 10 to WWE/US Unlocked | CID HTC__001/BS_US001, ROM for the HTC 10
5m4r7ph0n36uru, all named in Credits section
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Firmware Required: 2.4x.xxx.x
Current Stable Version: 2.41.401.4
Stable Release Date: 2017-03-01
Last Updated 2017-06-14