[GUIDE] De-brand/convert the HTC 10 to WWE/US Unlocked | CID HTC__001/BS_US001

3,802 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,471

By 5m4r7ph0n36uru, Senior Member on 8th May 2016, 09:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th January 2018, 01:50 PM |#481  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I appreciate your answer but I am still not much smarter . On my previous CID (034)I was having as the last update available the one from August (I mean August security patch set). But I am sure that US version (not sure about others) were having few updates already since that (for example http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-10/news/) that I didn't get. THis is approach I don't like and I thought this is because HTC only focuses on US with updates and giving it up with others. Is this the case or I get it wrongly?
What exactly do you compare with when you say "US Unlocked is the same as yours"?
Does the OTA update offerings depends on CID or MID or both?
Does WWE (HTC__001) covers US as well or US have some different CID?

Also I am doing the "De-brand/convert to WWE using RUU.zip" scenario but failing on step 8 (flash WWE RUU to convert). I am doing this with TWRP but it don't recognize the RUU zip file. (using the one from the related post). Any advise here please?
12th January 2018, 02:53 PM |#482  
OP Senior Member
Flag MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capo56

I appreciate your answer but I am still not much smarter . On my previous CID (034)I was having as the last update available the one from August (I mean August security patch set). But I am sure that US version (not sure about others) were having few updates already since that (for example http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-10/news/) that I didn't get. THis is approach I don't like and I thought this is because HTC only focuses on US with updates and giving it up with others. Is this the case or I get it wrongly?
What exactly do you compare with when you say "US Unlocked is the same as yours"?
Does the OTA update offerings depends on CID or MID or both?
Does WWE (HTC__001) covers US as well or US have some different CID?

Also I am doing the "De-brand/convert to WWE using RUU.zip" scenario but failing on step 8 (flash WWE RUU to convert). I am doing this with TWRP but it don't recognize the RUU zip file. (using the one from the related post). Any advise here please?

Comparing US unlocked with WWE (EMEA) ROM/firmware the only real difference is the firmware, or to be more precisely the radios. Thus you don't need to convert an international device with SKU 401 - meaning x.xx.401.xx Software numbers - to a US Unlocked variant. This won't gve you anything better than you already got. All updates to Taiwan and US Unlocked devices will come to the international variant as well. So yes you wring with what you stated above.

HTC OTA depend on CID, MID and Variant. E.g. international Devi es got the Devi d variant up, or uhl, while US Unlocked is of the device variant wl, or whl. You can't change that! If you now convert an international device to US Unlocked, or vice versa l, the following OTA might fail, due to an invalid device version.

Regarding your process read the manual again. It doesn't state anything on flashing a RUU through TWRP! If you're not familiar with such basics I guess you might not even know what you are doing and what might happen. Maybe you shouldn't tinker with your device until you gained a little bit more knowledge about such things. Otherwise you might easily run into a bricked device. Might be a little bit to expensive to end up as a paperweight.

Sent from my HTC U11 using XDA Labs
12th January 2018, 03:27 PM |#483  

More
Thanks again, but still confused...
I have read manual again before your answer already and the term "sd card" is very confusing in Android world , but I have figured out that EXTERNAL SD card was meant so now I followed it succesfully.

OTA offered me some update then, but again this is just the one from July. Nothing newer available. Dissapointed. I don't care about radio's update as long as I don't there is any issue there. But I do care about security and I really want to have the latest updates available asap. And since I know there is the one with October updates (linked before) I would like to understand what should I need as device or it's settings to get that (as it is available for months already in US)?
12th January 2018, 04:15 PM |#484  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks again, but still confused...
I have read manual again before your answer already and the term "sd card" is very confusing in Android world , but I have figured out that EXTERNAL SD card was meant so now I followed it succesfully.

OTA offered me some update then, but again this is just the one from July. Nothing newer available. Dissapointed. I don't care about radio's update as long as I don't there is any issue there. But I do care about security and I really want to have the latest updates available asap. And since I know there is the one with October updates (linked before) I would like to understand what should I need as device or it's settings to get that (as it is available for months already in US)?

Obvious: you flashed a WWE RUU as far as I got it. The one Oreo OTA/RUU available for now is US Unlocked. You got to wait for the correct one.

Might repeat myself but you honestly are not familiar enough with the basics such as device variants, CID, MID and so on. Please read up on it until you tinker the next time. S-OFF/unlocked e.g. doesn't at all affect OTA capability at all.

12th January 2018, 05:57 PM |#485  

More
Meanwhile you are right that I don't understand the differences between CID, MID and so on, you didn't made it any more clearer. To be honest, I have flashed tens of phones before, but luckily for me none was HTC (this is where my confusion is coming from as many things are different). I spent last 5 years before buying HTC on Nexus phones and I am just shocked how HTC is (not) updating SW.

I would appreciate any link where CID, MID and variants are described. I would like to understand why Android security updates are coming to US devices and not to EU ones. I would like to know if I can somehow split my EU radio from android version (as in relation to android version the US software seems to be far more better in terms of updates).

I have successfuly changed the CID and MID to US version as well as RUU.exe. So far so good. I am still S-OFF and Unlocked. But eventhough CID&MID&Unlock is the same, I am not able to complete Oreo RUU (http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01...e-via-ota-ruu/) as I am getting Error 132 - wrong signature.

And one thing to highlight - as this is not mentioned in your manual - unlocking bootloader with htcdev completely wiped my phone.....
12th January 2018, 06:43 PM |#486  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Meanwhile you are right that I don't understand the differences between CID, MID and so on, you didn't made it any more clearer. To be honest, I have flashed tens of phones before, but luckily for me none was HTC (this is where my confusion is coming from as many things are different). I spent last 5 years before buying HTC on Nexus phones and I am just shocked how HTC is (not) updating SW.

I would appreciate any link where CID, MID and variants are described. I would like to understand why Android security updates are coming to US devices and not to EU ones. I would like to know if I can somehow split my EU radio from android version (as in relation to android version the US software seems to be far more better in terms of updates).

I have successfuly changed the CID and MID to US version as well as RUU.exe. So far so good. I am still S-OFF and Unlocked. But eventhough CID&MID&Unlock is the same, I am not able to complete Oreo RUU (http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01...-via-ota-ruu/) as I am getting Error 132 - wrong signature.

And one thing to highlight - as this is not mentioned in your manual - unlocking bootloader with htcdev completely wiped my phone.....

That unlocking by HTCDev wipes your phone is mentioned during the unlocking process. As far as I'm concerned I take it for granted that users tinkering with their phones read the notes on screen as well as during the unlock procedure within the step by step guide on htcdev.com. If one doesn't care for reading the onscreen prompts or notes of the manufacturer, that's not my fault and everything that'd Be covered by such thing isn't in my guide.

As to CID, MID, variant. Those are terms and variables on every Android phone but Nexus/Pixel. The later two are kind of the iPhones of Android, as they are produced specifically on behalf of Google (Android) and are also updated by Google using their unaltered Stock Android. If it comes to all OEMs, be it Nokia, Samsung, Oppo, Huawei, HTC and so on - whom are adding an their own launcher and alter some one many other things, JTC is the best if it comes to updates. Yeah they are most of the time a little bit later than announced. But so far all is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Error 132 obviously informal you that the RUU used has a wrong signature. Did you flash the .exe with admin privileges!? If so and everything seemed OK it might also be a corrupted download. Try to look at the md5 of the file on HTCs server and double check after download. If the md5 has changed, that's for sure due to bad connectivity or something else that happens during the download.

Short crash course. Won't give any further details here on this thread:

CID: Carrier ID tells you from which country or carrier the device ist
MID: Model ID tells you if the device is single/dual SIM, GSM/CDMA, EMEA, america and so on
Variant: ul, uhl for single SIM world wide edition, wl, whl mainly single SIM US, Sprint Verizon Edwition, dugl dual SIM edition and so on.

MID and variantmy change from year to year, while CID are quite the same over the last years. Google will help you to find a list.

12th January 2018, 06:45 PM |#487  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@capo56 this is the text I guess you didn't read properly during unlock. There it stats that the phone gets wipe due to a factory reset. It has been the same on every HTC for years.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ul-41.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	4387290  
14th January 2018, 08:32 AM |#488  

More
Thank you very much.
Please don't take me wrong, I didn't intend you to think I am blaming you for anything. Please just take is as my recommendation how to make your great manual even better (especially for users not knowing HTC's specifics...)
The Following User Says Thank You to capo56 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift capo56 Ad-Free
14th January 2018, 09:13 AM |#489  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you very much.
Please don't take me wrong, I didn't intend you to think I am blaming you for anything. Please just take is as my recommendation how to make your great manual even better (especially for users not knowing HTC's specifics...)

Thanks l. Was a little bit stressed and I've been away on a working trip since Wednesday. Today is the first day at home. My fault as well. So I'd say all fine.

Will thing of adding some more information to the manual later today.

14th January 2018, 05:35 PM |#490  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hello
I have bought used HTC 10, it's verizon version, but seller tells me, this is de-branded. If i need flash custom ROM, what ROM i need? for verizon HTC 10? or not? And i receive official updates?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180114_21_24_31_Pro.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	4389220   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180114_21_24_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	4389221  
14th January 2018, 05:44 PM |#491  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr0idGh0sT

Hello
I have bought used HTC 10, it's verizon version, but seller tells me, this is de-branded. If i need flash custom ROM, what ROM i need? for verizon HTC 10? or not? And i receive official updates?

It is de-branded indeed. It's running the according firmware of a US Unlocked model, this should support all GSM bands. Try to check for OTA and have a look if you might be able to update to Oreo.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
conversion, debrand, htc 10, us unlocked, wwe

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)